Search the best hotels in Kanazawa
Two-and-a-half hours by train from Tokyo, Kanazawa is a fascinating cultural hotspot on Japan's western coast. One of the best-preserved Edo-era cities in the country, it’s also the much-lauded ‘City of Handicrafts’. Art aficionados and history buffs will find Kanazawa a rich and rewarding destination, unspoilt by tourism and brimming with authentic charm. Accommodation options reflect this energy, with intimate ryokans and simple family-run guesthouses offering a taste of classic Japanese hospitality. Book a room at one of the best places to stay in Kanazawa and head out to explore!
Kanazawa’s compact centre makes it easy to discover on foot or by bicycle. Stroll through the Nagamachi Samurai District to admire streets lined with earthen-walled houses and to see the Nomura Samurai House. Evening ambles through one of the three teahouse — ‘chaya’ — districts, where geishas still play traditional instruments, also come highly recommended. Other highlights include guided tours of the magnificent Kanazawa Castle and adjoining Kenrokuen Garden, as well as the Myoriji Temple.
When it comes to museums, the 21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art, the D.T. Suzuki Museum and the Prefectural Museum of Traditional Arts & Crafts are excellent. The Japanese National Crafts Museum was relocated to the city in 2020, in recognition of its importance in the world of handicrafts. This is a great point of connection for workshops and experiences across the city.
Foodies should make a beeline for Omicho Market, where the city’s freshest seafood can be found. The market’s restaurants are superb; as are the eateries at the best places to stay in Kanazawa.
The Best Places to Stay in Kanazawa
For a City Stay
- Kanazawa Hakuchoro Hotel is just a stone's throw from many of the city's sights. The hotel offers Western-style guest rooms, hot spring baths and delicious multi-course cuisine in an atmospheric restaurant. A smart city stay for business or leisure.
- Chaya Ryokan, in downtown Kanazawa, is an upscale city choice. Unwind in the sauna, kick back in classic guest rooms, or savour splendid kaiseki dishes in the chic restaurant. For romantics or well-heeled history buffs.
For a Mountain Escape
- Motoyu Ishiya Ryokan features classic architecture and traditional woven matting and futon bedding in inviting guest rooms. Set in a splendid mountainous location, this characterful 200-year-old ryokan offers indoor and outdoor baths with a view, as well as an exquisite regional restaurant. Romantic, restful and rejuvenating.
For Great Value
- Guest House Pongyi is a simple, Japanese-style guesthouse run by a wonderfully friendly team in downtown Kanazawa. Book a dormitory if travelling with friends and looking to meet fellow guests, or choose a private room with traditional tatami flooring and futon bedding. There's a shared kitchen and bicycles for hire. A cosy, great value city stay.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Tokyo, and catch a 2.5 hour high-speed train to Kanazawa. There are also rapid connections from Kyoto and Osaka. Alternatively, hop aboard a domestic flight to Komatsu Airport, 20 miles from Kanazawa.
- You may want the flexibility of driving if you're exploring beyond the city limits. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the summer, spring or early autumn, when temperatures range between 18 and 27°C. This is the best time for walking and cycling around the city. The early April cherry blossom is beautiful, but makes this a very popular time to visit!
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Kaga.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Japan.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Kanazawa
Best Hotels in Kanazawa
Guest House Pongyi Kanazawa 3 rooms from £42Museums - Kanazawa Phonograph Museum, Izumi Kyoka Museum and Muro Saisei Kinenkan Museum are all just a short distance awayGroups - Dormitory rooms make this a great choice for a sociable budget trip with friendsCycling - Hire one of the hotel's bicycles to explore the city centre on two wheelsValue chic - A top location and decent accommodation at a great price
The classic Japanese-style Guest House Pongyi is located in downtown Kanazawa. Offering both dormitories and traditional Japanese accommodation - think tatami woven-straw flooring and futon bedding - this is a cosy, great value city stay in a superb spot! Shared kitchen facilities are a bonus. See More
Kanazawa Hotel Tokyu Kanazawa 201 rooms from £88Local exploring - Whether it be local historical and cultural sights or restaurants and bars, all are within walking distanceViews - Rooms on the higher floors boast amazing city viewsSights nearby - The magnificent Kanazawa Castle is within walking distance of the hotelLocal markets - The Korinbo Tokyu Square is a short walk from the hotel
A great value stay in the heart of the city. Rooms are spacious and all done in a contemporary style; some western, others more Japanese in feel. Book a higher floor for a more luxurious finish and stunning city views. Two restaurants and a bar complete the picture. Good for business or leisure. See More
Hyatt Centric Kanazawa Kanazawa (Ishikawa Prefecture) 253 rooms from £91City Style - A chic city base, with smart modern interiors and contemporary art throughoutLocal exploring - Great base for exploring all of the local shrines and museumsSights nearby - Kanazawa's bustling harbour district is a must-see, including the fascinating Ohno Karakuri Memorial MuseumRestaurant - Offers globally inspired cuisine made with locally sourced ingredients
A smart modern hotel in the centre of Kanazawa. Western style rooms and suites, complete with chic furnishings offer sophisticated city living and huge windows for expansive views. FIVE Grill & Lounge provides globally inspired dishes and the 14th floor roof terrace bar is the place for sundowners. See More
Kumu by The Share Hotels Kanazawa (Ishikawa) 47 rooms from £99Families - Large rooms that sleep four (plus two kids) as well as bunk bed rooms make the hotel ideal as a family baseValue chic - With minimalist style and industrial chic vibes, Kumu offers great accommodation at very reasonable ratesCity Style - The smart hotel is within easy walking distance of the main sights of Kanazawa.Views - Views of Kanazawa Castle Park from the wooden deck rooftop.
Good value and stylish industrial-look pad with clean lines and Western as well as Japanese-style bedrooms. Grey and blond wood palette with raised tatami floors set the tone, with bunk rooms for families. Concrete chic public areas include a tea room, a roof terrace for music and yoga, and a cafe. See More
Motoyu Ishiya Ryokan Kanazawa (Kanazawa-shi) 20 rooms from £166Romantic Break - Lovely accommodation, a peaceful atmosphere and hot-spring baths make this the ideal spot for a romantic getawayFoodies - Motoyu Ishiya Ryokan serves up exquisite kaiseki cuisine-not to be missed out onTotal relaxation - A tranquil rural spot complete with obligatory onsensSights nearby - Be sure to visit the Yachiya Sake Brewery, Utatsu Shrine or Higashichaya Old Town
The 200-year old Motoyu Ishiya Ryokan features classic architecture and traditional accommodation (tatami woven-straw flooring and futon bedding). Boasting a splendid mountainous location, this charming spot also offers indoor and outdoor baths with glorious views. An utterly rejuvenating stay! See More
Kanazawa Hakuchoro Hotel Kanazawa (Kanazawa-shi) 85 rooms from £178City Style - Boasting a wonderful location, Kanazawa Hakuchoro Hotel is the perfect base from which to get to know the cityLocal exploring - With so many attractions on your doorstep you'd be amiss not to go sightseeingSights nearby - Be sure to see the historic Kanazawa Castle, Nomura Family Samurai House and Ozaki ShrineGreat walks - Take a lovely relaxing stroll through The Gyokusen-en Garden
Kanazawa Hakuchoro Hotel enjoys a superbly central location, just a stone's throw from many of the city's sights. The property boasts Western-style accommodation whilst serving up traditional multi-course meals. Unwind in the hot-spring bath after a long day sightseeing! A splendid city stay. See More
Chaya Ryokan Kanazawa 18 rooms from £450Local exploring - The historic Higashi Chaya-gai area is a 20-minute stroll away, and the hotel is well-located for on-foot explorationsFoodies - Enjoy exquisite traditional Japanese cuisine in the atmospheric two-storey restaurantSights nearby - Be sure to see the historic Kanazawa Castle and Nomura Family Samurai HouseOther Activities - Unwind in the hotel's public onsen bath after long days of sightseeing