Search the best hotels in Miyakojima
The island of Miyakojima, one of Japan's most southerly points, is located 300 kilometres south of Okinawa and 400 kilometres away from Taipei. Despite its location making it a frequent victim of typhoons during the late summer, Miyakojima is known for its stunning natural beauty - especially its long, sandy beaches. As you'd expect, the best places to stay on Miyakojima offer easy access to these lovely beaches.
But the beaches are more than just brilliant spots for sunbathing. These reefs are also home to some of the best snorkelling in Japan, which is some feat given that the Japanese archipelago is home to over 6,000 islands! Plus, this diverse local marine life also means that there's scrumptious seafood on offer all around the island.
It gets even better - Miyakojima's glorious Eastern Cape, a designated Place of Scenic Beauty, is simply stunning. If you're here with a loved one then head here at sunset for a the dreamy views (make sure to remember your camera)!
The island certainly has some interesting cultural practices. Each year in the ninth month of the old lunar calendar, three men wander around the island dressed in grass, leaves and mud, and wearing frighteningly expressionless masks. They smear mud on people, cars, houses, or whatever they fancy, and those who are on the receiving end apparently are destined to have a year of protection and good fortune.
Miyakojima is the perfect trip away for those looking for a relaxed and quiet beach break. A visit will be sure to leave you relaxed, rejuvenated and refreshed.
What Not To Miss
- A trip to Miyakojima wouldn't be complete without going snorkelling on the Yabiji reef. Replete with a large variety of marine life, it's sure to be a completely unforgettable experience!
- Whilst the island is full of wonderful beaches, Yonaha Maehama and Sunayama are both especially noteworthy spot.
- Or, head off biking around the nearby Irabu-jima Island which is connected to Miyakojima by a 3km-long bridge.
Be sure to book well in advance to avoid disappointment - the best places to stay in Miyakojima get quickly filled up!
The best places to stay in Miyakojima
- The Shigira is a luxurious coastal getaway which boasts private villas with hot tubs, saunas, pools, and chic accommodation. What's more, there are no less than seven restaurants to choose from - what's not to love?
- Shigira Bayside Suite Allamanda boasts elegant deluxe suites, many of which feature their own private pool. Plus, there are three top-notch restaurants!
For nearby Ikema Island
- Island Terrace Neela is a beachfront break with chic villas boasting glorious ocean views. Tuck into lovely breakfasts and kaiseki cuisine for dinner. A peaceful retreat.
For an apartment or villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Weather-wise, you're best off visiting in the summer months - the average temperature hovers between 26-32°C in July.
- Fly into Tokyo Haneda Airport before taking a connection on to Miyako Airport.
- If you want to fully explore the island then consider hiring a car with Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our entire list of the best places to stay in Miyakojima.
- Widen the net to include our recommendations in Okinawa.
- Or, feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Miyakojima
Island Terrace Neela Ikema Island, Miyakojima 5 rooms from £137Sights nearby - Soak up the wonderful views as you walk across Ikema Ohashi BridgeSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Secluded setting - For escaping.Views - Great views from hotel
Boasting a beachfront location in Ikema Island, Island Terrace Neela offers five boutique and chic villas with magnificent views. Enjoy a complimentary breakfast each morning to set you up for the day and superb kaiseki cuisine is served at dinner. A private and peaceful option for group trips! See More
Shigira Bayside Suite Allamanda Okinawa, Miyakojima 174 rooms from £663Sights nearby - Visit Cape Higashi Hennazaki Lighthouse or the hot springs at Shigira.Diving - If you fancy trying something different then head off scuba diving!Great walks - Wander along the coast at sunset and take in the gorgeous viewsViews - Fabulous views out to the China Sea or the golf course.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Consisting entirely of deluxe suites, Shigira Bayside Suite Allamanda enjoys a wonderful coastal location on Miyakojima Island. The rooms features high ceilings and light hues whilst many even boast their own private pool! Superb cuisine served at their 3 restaurants. The ideal romantic retreat. See More
The Shigira Okinawa, Miyakojima 10 rooms from £2000Great walks - Wander around the coast at sunset and take in the splendid sea viewsSights nearby - Check out the Cape Higashi Hennazaki Lighthouse.Spa - Take advantage of the hot spring baths.Swimming Pool - Private pool for each villa.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
The Shigira enjoys a superb coastal location on Miyakojima island and offers private beach access. Stay in their luxurious private villas each equipped with a pool, a hot-tub and a sauna! With seven restaurants to choose from you'll be utterly spoilt for choice. A wonderfully romantic retreat! See More