Search the best hotels in Miyakojima
Set 300 kilometres south of Okinawa, Miyakojima is one of Japan's most southerly islands. Although often in the path of late summer typhoons, the island is known for its abundant natural beauty — including its long sandy beaches and clear seas. Accommodation options are clustered in the south and west, with everything from simple hotels to swish resorts for big family trips or memorable honeymoons. All the best places to stay in Miyakojima are, of course, within sight of the sea.
Ideal for days of sunbathing and long scenic strolls, Miyakojima’s beaches are also the gateway to some of Japan’s best snorkelling spots. The Yabiji Reef is particularly striking, home to colourful marine ecosystems and brilliant for snorkelling and diving. Discover the Yonaha Maehama and Sunayama beaches, cycle around nearby Irabu-jima Island — connected to Miyakojima by a 3km bridge — or venture to the East Henna Cape for magical sunsets. Boat trips to nearby islands, or kayaking and sailing excursions are also great fun. For something a little different, try a family day out to the Ueno German Culture Village.
Many of the best places to stay in Miyakojima offer wonderful watersports, direct beach access and delicious seafood cuisine. What more could you ask for?
The Best Places to Stay in Miyakojima
- The Shigira boasts sensational private villas with hot tubs, swimming pools and dramatic coastal views. With seven restaurants to choose from, bicycles and Segways for hire, plus snorkelling and golf on your doostep, this is a magical spot. For honeymooners or families, who will appreciate the larger villas.
- Shigira Bayside Suite Allamanda comprises a collection of deluxe suites, some of which feature private pools. There are three restaurants onsite. Classic, opulent decor gives the hotel a timeless charm. Overlooking the acclaimed Shigirabei Country Club.
For Great Value
- Island Terrace Neela is a great value beach break base for couples, friends or small groups. Villas offer striking ocean views and are just steps from the beach. Breakfasts are generous, there's delicious kaiseki cuisine for dinner, and you can spend your days on the sand. On tiny Ikema island, connected by bridge to Miyakojima.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Tokyo's Haneda International Airport before taking a connecting flight to Miyako Airport. Most hotels will be happy to arrange an airport pick-up.
- You may want to drive if you're exploring the island independently. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the summer, spring or early autumn for the warmest weather and to make the most of the island's natural beauty. Expect temperatures of 23 - 30°C degrees. May and September are cooler and quieter.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Okinawa.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Japan.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Miyakojima
Best Hotels in Miyakojima
Island Terrace Neela Ikema Island, Miyakojima 5 rooms from £137Groups - Book the two-bedroom Royal Suite for a fun group trip with friends, complete with jacuzzi tubs, a leafy garden & beach accessBeach Life - Facing the beach, this is a top spot for keen sunbathers or snorkellers and those eager to stroll along deserted sandsSnorkelling - Swim out to sea to marvel at the colourful fish and coral through the hotel's snorkelsCycling - Hop aboard the hotel's bikes to discover the island's tracks and beaches on two wheels
A beachfront property on Ikema Island, Island Terrace Neela offers five boutique & chic villas with magnificent views. Enjoy complimentary breakfasts each morning to set you up for days of sunbathing and snorkelling - with superb kaiseki cuisine at dinner. A private, peaceful option for group trips! See More
Shigira Bayside Suite Allamanda Okinawa, Miyakojima 174 rooms from £663Diving - Scuba diving lessons and excursions are brilliant for discovering the abundant marine life which surrounds the islandRomantic Break - Luxurious private suites with private pools, delicious cuisine & make views this ideal for a romantic getaway!Short break - Just a 15-minute drive from Miyako Airport, this is a great choice for a weekend getaway from mainland JapanGolf - Play a round or two at the nearby Shigira Bay Golf Course, part of the impressive Country ClubRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Consisting entirely of deluxe suites, Shigira Bayside Suite Allamanda enjoys a wonderful coastal location on Miyakojima Island. The rooms feature high ceilings & light hues - many even boast their own private pools! Superb cuisine served at the hotel's three restaurants. The ideal romantic retreat. See More
The Shigira Okinawa, Miyakojima 10 rooms from £2000Total relaxation - Unwind in your private hot tub, sink into the spa's hot spring baths, or enjoy rejuvenatingocean-facing treatmentsSnorkelling - Little ones will love snorkelling as a family, with the chance to spot sea turtles as well as fish and coralHoneymoons - Luxurious suites with private pools and ocean views are brilliant for an indulgent honeymoonCycling - Cycle to beautiful beaches or along verdant paths on the hotel's bicyclesRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
The Shigira enjoys a superb coastal location on Miyakojima island and offers private beach access. Stay in luxurious private villas with swimming pools, a hot-tub and a sauna. With seven restaurants to choose from you can dine somewhere new every night. A wonderfully romantic retreat! See More