Search the best hotels in Okinawa
Translated as ‘the rope in the open sea’, Okinawa is a stretch of islands in the ocean between Japan and Taiwan. These coral-fringed islands have long appealed to romantic couples, fun-loving families and friends seeking idyllic beaches, snorkelling, diving and outdoorsy adventures galore. The largest of the islands — also called Okinawa — is particularly popular. Accommodation options reflect this, with swish city hotels as well as beautiful beach resorts catering to a range of tastes and budgets. Most of the best places to stay in Okinawa boast panoramic ocean views, and many are set right on the sand.
The region’s travel hub, Okinawa has gorgeous beaches, caves and coral reefs. It’s also home to the vibrant regional capital of Naha. A commercial centre in the Ryūkyū Kingdom, Naha remains a wonderful place to shop, with markets, malls and a trendy shopping street: Kokusai-dōri. For an insight into the island’s cultural past as well as the impact of the Second World War, visit the Okinawa Prefectural Museum & Art Museum, 14th-century Shuri-jō and the Okinawa Peace Memorial Park & Museum. The lesser-known Himeyuri Peace Museum, tucked above a cave which once served as an emergency field hospital, is also excellent. Little ones will adore the Nago Aquarium, whilst keen foodies can savour local delicacies at the Daichi Makishi Kōsetsu Ichiba, a buzzy covered food market.
Trekking, horse riding and cycling are brilliant ways to explore beyond the city. Head to the coast for diving, snorkelling and lazy beach days. For a more tranquil retreat, venture to the smaller islands of Miyakojima or Ishigaki. All are at their busiest during the school holidays and the height of the summer. Travel outside these times for a more peaceful escape to one of the best places to stay in Okinawa.
The Best Places to Stay in Okinawa
For City Style
- Hotel Collective is a chic, contemporary hotel in the heart of Naha. Swish rooms feature expansive city views and smart bathrooms. Facilities include a rooftop pool, spa, meeting rooms and excellent dining options. One for well-heeled travellers.
- Rihga Royal Gran Okinawa is another city hotel, with 157 chic rooms, top-notch cuisine and a friendly team ready to help organise excursions across the island. Larger suites have bathtubs and seating areas perfect for unwinding after a busy day in Naha.
- Ritz-Carlton Okinawa is moments from Kise Beach. A big resort brimming with activities for guests of all ages, the Ritz has a great kids club, wonderful, earthy-toned family suites and three dining options. Grown-ups can kick back at the spa or the atmospheric bar.
- Halekulani Okinawa has spacious rooms, suites, and villas, some of which have their own private pools. Set right on the beach in the Kaigan Quasi-National Park, this is a top spot for active families looking to hike, cycle, dive or snorkel. A beautiful resort.
- Hyatt Regency Seragaki boasts six restaurants, a spa, a sprawling pool, and a fun kids club. Seragaki Island has a great beach, and it's a lovely place for kayaking, snorkelling and diving. Fitness enthusiasts will find a range of classes and a well-equipped gym, too. Excellent for the whole family.
- Okinawa Spa Resort Exes is about five minutes from the beach, but offers impressive ocean views. Larger rooms have space for multiple beds, making this a good choice for a trip with family or friends. Highlights include French and Japanese fare, as well as the indoor and outdoor swimming pools.
- Hotel Nikkō Alivila Yomitan Resort is another one for active travellers. There are eight dining options, a large spa, a tennis court, swimming pools, direct access to Nirai Beach and a plethora of watersports. Zampa Golf Club is also within 10 minutes' drive. For outdoorsy guests of all ages.
- The Uza Terrace Beach Club Villas offers a collection of luxury villas, some with private pools and multiple bedrooms. Expect opulent interiors, butler service, a spoiling spa and a real sense of privacy. This is a top spot for honeymooners or romantic couples, though larger villas can be booked for fun-filled family trips.
- Hoshinoya Okinawa has minimalist rooms and suites overlooking the ocean, perfect for guests dreaming of a romantic hideaway. Enjoy nature-led spa treatments, hone your karate skills, go horse riding on the beach, or embark on a whale watching tour. An indulgent, exclusive hotel for couples.
- The Terrace Club at Busena is a smart coastal hotel with a strong wellness focus. Set on its own private stretch of beach, the hotel has an extensive spa with a range of thalassotherapy treatments. There are yoga and fitness classes, natural rejuvenating wraps and fresh, healthy dining options, too. Round off your day with drinks at the trendy bar. To reset in style.
- Hayakunagaran offers sea-facing suites with restful interiors inspired by the style of a traditional ryokan. Guests are invited to relax in private, open-air baths or to enjoy reflexology and traditional healing treatments. The kaiseki cuisine is superb. A classic Japanese choice.
For Great Value
- Kafuu Resot Fuchahu Condo Hotel has more than a hundred rooms with ocean views. There's a great spa and a big outdoor pool, making this a good family or couples' choice. A well-priced holiday base.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Tokyo or to another big Japanese hub before taking a connecting flight to Naha Okinawa Airport. Most hotels will be happy to arrange an airport pick-up.
- You may want to drive if you're exploring the island independently. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the summer for the warmest weather and to make the most of the island's natural beauty. Expect temperatures of 23 - 30°C degrees. Avoid the typhoon season in September and early October, and the rainy season in May-June. January to March are cool but calm and quiet.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Miyakojima.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Japan.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Okinawa
Best Hotels in Okinawa
Rihga Royal Gran Okinawa Okinawa-ken, Okinawa 157 rooms from £132City Style - A smart city hotel for business or leisure travellers, with swish modern interiorsGreat walks - Take a stroll around Onoyama Park or head to the beautiful Fukushu-en GardenLocal exploring - Well-placed for exploring Naha's lively restaurant and shopping sceneMuseums - Delve into the region's culture at the Tsushimamaru Museum
Located in the heart of Naha, Rihga Royal Gran Okinawa provides chic and spacious contemporary accommodation. Relax with an evening drink in their Bar Aiju at sunset and marvel in the glorious views! Top-notch cuisine. Car rental can also be arranged. A splendid spot for romance or local exploring! See More
Kafuu Resort Fuchaku Condo Hotel Okinawa 137 rooms from £142Active Holiday - Spend your days at the spa or swimming pool, go horse riding, snorkelling or diving and stroll along sandy beachesFamilies - Two-bedroom suites are ideal for families, who will find a range of onsite activities on both land and waterWatersports - Head out on the water for a variety of watersports, including boat trips, kayakinga and divingRiding - Guided horse riding treks are available for all ages and abilities
Kafuu Resort Fuchaku Condo Hotel enjoys an oceanfront location in Okinawa. The property offers chic and contemporary accommodation boasting terrific sea views! Unwind in the spa or soak up the sun by the outdoor pool. A fantastic all-round spot whether it be for families, romance or relaxation! See More
Hotel Nikkō Alivila Yomitan Resort Nakagami-gun, Okinawa 397 rooms from £147Beach Life - Set right on Nirai Beach, this is a top spot for sunbathers, beach strollers and keen watersports enthusiastsRomantic Break - Book a beautiful room with ocean views, a private terrace and access to eight delectable dining optionsGolf - Play a round or two at Zampa Golf Club, just ten minutes awayTennis - Challenge your family to a game on the hotel's tennis court
Enjoying a beachfront location, the 5* Hotel Nikko Alivila offers spacious and contemporary accommodation boasting wonderful sea views. Soak up the sun by the pool or pamper yourself in their wonderful spa! Make the most out of the splendid cuisine on offer. A truly first-rate coastal escape. See More
Okinawa Spa Resort Exes Okinawa 90 rooms from £164Foodies - Enjoy wonderful international cuisine at Restaurant Ten, including Japanese grill-plates and organic French slow foodGroups - Larger rooms with multiple beds are great for more affordable family or group tripsGreat walks - Stroll the five minutes to Kariyushi Beach for relaxing days in the sunshineSnorkelling - Delve into the region's marvellous marine life with a snorkelling excursion
Okinawa Spa Resort Exes enjoys a lovely coastal location just a short distance from the beach. Stay in chic and luxurious accommodation boasting splendid ocean views. Spend your days soaking up the sun by the pool or even go parasailing for something completely different! A truly wonderful stay. See More
Hotel Collective Naha, Okinawa 260 rooms from £172City Style - A stylish stay in the heart of the city complete with a trendy bar, rooftop pool and chic restaurantBusiness meetings - Meeting spaces and conference facilities make this a top spot for business travellersOther Activities - Okinawa World is a theme park set within caves, and offering a great family day outGreat walks - Take guided walks of lively Kokusai-dori, filled with shops and restaurants
A sleek contemporary hotel offering five-star accommodation in Naha. Spacious rooms lend epic city views from the floor to ceiling windows while the interiors are simple and modern. Boasting a rooftop pool, spa, meeting rooms and excellent dining options. A luxury choice for business or leisure. See More
Hyatt Regency Seragaki Island Okinawa 343 rooms from £190Families - With family suites, a kids club, children's menus and (of course) the beach — this is an easy choice for familiesBeach Life - Set directly on the white sands of Seragaki Beach, this is an idyllic beach escapeKayaking - Kayak around Seragaki Island to enjoy spectacular views and a vast sense of spaceOther Activities - Explore Okinawa Cave, one of the largest limestone caves in central Okinawa
A five-star hotel set right on the water on picturesque Okinawa island. Stylish rooms and suites are contemporary in design with earthy tones, ocean views, and private balconies. With six restaurants, a spa, a sprawling pool, and a wide choice of activities this is ideal for families and couples. See More
The Terrace Club at Busena Okinawa-ken, Okinawa 48 rooms from £428Total relaxation - Unwind in the hotel's indulgent thalasso spa facilities, with massages, natural wraps and rejuvenating poolsYoga - Take early morning yoga or in-pool fitness classes to compliment your wellness treatmentsFoodies - Enjoy lovely cuisine created by merging French, Italian and Okinawan influencesSnorkelling - Take snorkelling or glass bottom boat trips at the Busena Marine ParkRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
The Terrace Club at Busena enjoys a stunning location right on the coast of Okinawa. Offering chic and spacious accommodation with glorious sea views, their thalassotherapy treatments will have you feeling the best you've felt in years! Head to the beach or grab a drink by the pool. A peaceful stay. See More
Halekulani Okinawa Okinawa,, Okinawa 360 rooms from £372Foodies - There are four restaurants, the most acclaimed of which is innovative SHIROUX which is headed by a two Michelin star chefBack to Nature - Set on the coast within the beautiful Kaigan Quasi-National Park, this is a place to come and unwind in natureBeach Life - Placed on the idyllic Okinawan coastline with gorgeous white sand beachesSwimming Pool - Five outdoor pools; the suites and villas come with their own private pools
A luxury hotel boasting a spectacular coastal setting on Okinawa island. Light and spacious rooms, suites, and villas all have ocean views. The best have private pools and natural hot springs. From gourmet dining to island-specific wellness programmes, this is an indulgent getaway. See More
Ritz-Carlton Okinawa Nago, Okinawa 97 rooms from £407Families - Families are welcome at this resort, with family suites available and dedicated children's tours and activitiesBeach Life - Set moments away from the charming Kise Beach, book this resort for a relaxing seaside getawayFoodies - Offering three, stylish, full-service restaurants, this hotel is a great choice for foodiesCooking classes - Take an Okinawa cooking class through the hotel and learn how to make popular dishes such as 'Fu Champuru' and 'Jushi'
This luxury resort is located steps from Japan's Kise Beach, surrounded by the beautiful hills of Okinawa. The hotel offers modern guestrooms and suites dressed in a neutral palette with Western-style beds. Dine in one of three romantic restaurants before indulging in a treatment at the spa. See More
Hoshinoya Okinawa Okinawa 100 rooms from £574Hideaway - Set on a picturesque subtropical island, this is a luxury escape for romantics or those looking to unwind in absolute blissWildlife Area - Private whale watching excursions are superb, as are snorkelling adventures in waters teeming with fish and sea turtlesBeach Life - A beautiful beach escape, perched on white sands, with fabulous sea views and stacks of ocean-focused activitiesDiving - Explore the magical coral reefs surrounding the island on a scuba diving excursion
A luxury hotel offering a tranquil hideaway (despite its size) on the shores of Okinawa. Minimalist suites are designed to take in the sea views and boast kitchenettes for chef-prepared meals. The spa offers nature-led treatments and there are a host of activities from karate to beach horseriding. See More
Hyakunagaran Okinawa 15 rooms from £864Romantic Break - With sea views from most suites, attentive staff and a laid-back atmosphere, this hotel is great for a couples' getawayHideaway - With hermitage hot baths and an excellent restaurant onsite, book this hotel for a tranquil hideaway holidayBeach Life - Set on the coast of Okinawa, this luxury bolt-hole is perfect for a relaxing beach breakSights nearby - Visit the ruins of Tamagusuku Castle, the oldest castle on Okinawa
This stylish hotel is located in a seafront mansion in Okinawa. Guests can choose from Japanese-style suites with tatami areas or cosy Western rooms, both with sea view terraces. Enjoy complimentary use of the open-air baths in the hotel's traditional Houjo-an cottages. See More
The Uza Terrace Beach Club Villas Okinawa 48 rooms from £884Riding - Explore the surrounding countryside on a horseback, with guided rural treks in the sunshineFamilies - Multi-bedroom private villas are ideal for family groups - each has its own private poolRomantic Break - Pick a villa with a swimming pool and delectable private dining for a romantic escapeYoga - Start your day with a rejuvenating outdoor yoga classRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
A collection of luxury villas in a prime location near the East China Sea. Spacious villas - some with private pools & multiple bedrooms - have all the luxury trimmings including round-the-clock butler services. Complete with a spoiling spa and superb fine-dining restaurant. See More