Search the best hotels in Puerto Vallarta
About Puerto Vallarta
Nestling by the shores of the Bahia de Banderas lies the charming cobbled seaside resort town of Puerto Vallarta. Backed by mountains bearded with palm trees and teeming with cute cafes, artisans and some fascinating historic sites, Vallarta is the ideal destination for a laid-back seaside holiday. Our collection of the best places to stay in Puerto Vallarta range from chic boutiques to utterly luxurious hotels.
Puerto Vallarta is often overlooked in favour of the flashier resorts of Cancun and Cozumel, though unlike them it lies on the westernmost coast of Mexico, where the waves are rougher and sand is more golden. Boasting more retirees than young partiers, its laid-back vibe is the envy of the region and makes for a very pleasant sightseeing experience. The Old Town, full of charming cobbled streets, chic cafes and the town's renowned silver artisans, also boasts some beautiful churches like Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish, whose ornate steeple can be seen for miles around. Head over to the Cava Antigua, where you can learn about the production of tequila (and do some quality tastings while you're at it!)
Of course, people come to Puerto Vallarta for its beaches. Shining golden in the boundless sunshine, the beaches are lined with watersports vendors and sumptuous seafood restaurants. Owing to its untamed waves, surfing is exceedingly popular here, as is snorkelling and whale-watching. The boardwalk that lines the beach is a great spot for a romantic evening stroll - the sunsets are unbelievably enchanting. As the evening rolls in, the town takes on a livelier feel, owing to its status as the "gay beach capital of Mexico". Journeying out of the town you will find heaps of activities: you can do canopying tours through the jungle, ATV rides and horseback rides.
What not to miss
- Stroll along the boardwalk at sunset and drink in the views.
- Take an ATV tour through the depths of the jungle!
- Visit Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish and marvel at her ornate design.
- Get lost in her charming old cobbled streets.
- Head over to Cava Antigua to learn about tequila-making and get a few tastings while you're there.
- Go on a canopying tour through the jungle.
- Ride the wild waves on a surfboard.
Puerto Vallarta is the perfect destination for a romantic break or a seaside holiday. Browse through our collection of the best places to stay in Puerto Vallarta to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Puerto Vallarta
- Hacienda San Angel: high above Vallarta's cobbled streets, this magnificent example of colonial architecture boasts luxurious and elegant suites and a superb rooftop restaurant. Absolutely stunning!
- Casa Kimberly: utterly beautiful, this hotel is decorated with warm whitewashed walls, exposed wooden beams and antique furniture. Absolutely elegant, the rooms look out onto the Bahia de Banderas and the restaurant serves sumptuous Mexican fare. Ideal for couples.
Xinalani is a rustic-chic yoga retreat on the stunning coast 12 miles down from Puerto Vallarta. Only reachable by boat, limited connectivity, open-air bathrooms and daily yoga sessions guarantee that you will get in touch with nature. The food is health conscious and they cater for vegan and gluten-free guests.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Mexico City, and get a connection to Puerto Vallarta, which takes roughly 1 hour.
- If you want to rent a car we recommend contacting our partner Rentalcars.
- Go anytime between November and May, when there is no rain and the temperature ranges between 17 and 30 degrees.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Puerto Vallarta
Hacienda San Angel 20 rooms from £334Puerto Vallarta (Centro)
Located high above Puerto Vallarta's cobblestone streets, the elegant Hacienda San Andres features colonial architecture and turn-of-the-century furnishings. Their 20 luxurious suites offer wonderful views whilst their rooftop restaurant serves up exquisite cuisine. A truly magnificent spot!City Style - Hacienda San Angel is situated in a perfect location for those looking to get to know quaint Puerto VallartaGreat walks - Stroll through the streets of Puerto Vallarta getting a feel for the city or wander down the coast at sunset and enjoy the viewsRestrictions on children - Adults onlySwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Casa Kimberly 9 rooms from £376Puerto Vallarta
A wonderfully romantic villa boasting stunning views of the Bay of Banderas. Individually designed, colonial style suites feature white washed walls, exposed beams, dark antique furniture and heavenly bathrooms. Iguana Restaurant serves contemporary Mexican cuisine. Utterly beautiful.City Style - A romantic adult-only property with style harking back to a more elegant era.Sights nearby - Visit the Church of Our Lady of Guadalupe just a short walk from the property.Great walks - Wander along the sculpture-filled seafront Malecon.Restrictions on children - Adult only.
Xinalani 23 rooms from £511Puerto Vallarta South Shore
A rustic-chic yoga retreat on the stunning coast 12 miles down from Puerto Vallarta. Only reachable by boat, limited connectivity, open-air bathrooms and daily yoga sessions guarantee that you will get in touch with nature. The food is health conscious and they cater for vegan and gluten free.Eco break - Rooms only have three walls to allow the seabreeze to act as a c02 free AC, all natural building materials and sustainable foodTotal relaxation - Geared towards yoga fanatics, this health centric retreat offers massage, shamanic rituals and twice daily yoga sessionsYoga - Two daily yoga sessions are included, with three studios- Sand Terrace, Jungle Studio, Meditation Cabin, or GreenhouseOther Activities - With limited WIFI, no tvs, no ipads and no distractions it is time to kick back, relax and be at one with yourselfRecommended by - Tablet