Search the best hotels in Oaxaca City
About Oaxaca City
The city of Oaxaca earns its position on many a travel itinerary because it's close to the ruin of Monte Alban, one of the most impressive ruin sites in Latin America, a vast ancient pre-Hispanic complex, built atop the highest mountains in the area. So with this constant stream of tourist activity there needs to be a good choice of accommodation in the city. Most of our recommendations for the best places to stay in Oaxaca City are located in its historic centre, but there is a wide choice for all tastes and budgets from boutique stays to family friendly hotels.
The city itself is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and in terms of history and culture, it stands unrivalled in South America. But the city boasts more than archaic ruins: a vibrant place teeming with wildlife, art, good food and beautiful churches, it makes for the perfect holiday destination.
The colonial heart is peaceful and shady and, in March, jacarandas bloom green and pure in the lovely central square, which is constantly besieged by some festival, market or troop of street musicians. Oaxaca also has a number of excellent museums. and there are churches everywhere you look! But walking around the city, you will also find fantastic street art, much of which is political satire, smattered on the facades of downtown Bohemian bars and designer boutiques.
Oaxaca is not just a beautiful city: brimming with art, history and gorgeous natural scenery, the city makes for the ideal family holiday destination. Check out our collection of the best places to stay in Oaxaca City to start planning your trip.
The Best Places to stay in Oaxaca
For great value
- Las Bugambilias is a great value, family run B&B with plenty of traditional colour and charm. Its nine rooms allow you to stay right in the heart of old Oaxaca in comfort, and its restaurant serves classic Mexican dishes in a rustic, friendly setting.
- Casa Oaxaca is a seven room hotel converted from a charming colonial building, also in the centre of old Oaxaca. Rooms are arranged around a central courtyard and there's a roof terrace, pool and private gardens. This is a great option for foodies, as the chef, and manager, offers excellent Mexican cooking workshops.
For local exploring
- The Hotel Azul is ideally located for exploring the city's sights. The simply-styled courtyard-facing rooms are kitted with light wooden furniture and artworks and the whole property is a showcase for Oaxaca's modern design scene. There is a classy terrace bar and a restaurant serving the best of Mexican fare.
For a boutique stay
- Hotel El Callejon is a perfect combo of old and new (think old adobe walls and chic modern architecture and design) and its twelve stylish rooms carry on the theme with a mix of contemporary and period furnishings.
- Casa Carmen Morelos is a unique art hotel in the beating heart of the city. Its four spacious bedrooms have been designed in conjunction with local artist Amador Montes and each showcases stunning original art beautifully complemented by original colonial features.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Mexico City, then on to Oaxaca International Airport.
- If you want to rent a car we recommend contacting our partner Rentalcars.
- Go between February and May, when there is little rain and the temperature ranges between 14 and 31 degrees.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Oaxaca.
- Or expand your search to include the 15 Best Beach Hotels on Mexico's Pacific Coast.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Oaxaca City
Best Hotels in Oaxaca City
Las Bugambilias Oaxaca City 8 rooms from £70Value chic - Fantastic value for money from this characterful and charming spot, full of quirky Mexican art and family vibes.Eco break - Eco-tourism hotel, members of ConservAgua, a program that promotes the sustainable use of natural resources.Cooking classes - Chef Pilar Cabrera runs the nextdoor Casa de los Sabores Cooking School, learn to master Mexicos inventive and exciting cuisine.Sights nearby - Check out the famous Zapotec sites at nearby Monte Albán, Mitla and Yagul, the Cabreras will happily arrange tours.Recommended by - I Escape
A characterful family-run bed and breakfast in arty Oaxaca. The three buildings are uniquely decorated with bright colours, Mexican art and plenty of charm. With large comfortable rooms and a rooftop terrace overlooking the city. Yummy communal breakfast adds to the family vibes. See More
Casa Oaxaca Oaxaca City 7 rooms from £130Foodies - Chef Alejandro Ruíz has crafted two spectacular nouvelle Mexican cuisine restaurants around organic, fresh & local ingrediants.Local exploring - Oaxaca is famed as Mexicos artistic centre, learn more on one of the hotels tours of local artisan studios.Cooking classes - For a totally unique experience join the market tour and cooking class with one of Casa Oaxaca’s chefs- unbeatable!Sights nearby - Explore the beautiful cloisters of former monastery Santo Domingo de Guzmán.Recommended by - I Escape
This Colonial manor turned boutique hotel is only five minutes from the action and offers a courtyard pool, a restaurant and bar. Cool comfortable rooms are adorned with local art. Enjoy the nouvelle Mexican cuisine surrounded by contemporary art works. A truly remarkable experience. See More
Hotel Azul Oaxaca City 21 rooms from £105Local exploring - Well located as a jump off to exploring the city and its surrounds.Sights nearby - Visit the ancient capital of the Zapotecs, Monte Alban.Full of characterTraditionalRecommended by - Tablet
A historic building set around a picturesque courtyard. Bedrooms are simply styled with tiled floors, contemporary art and light wooden furniture. A chic terrace bar is the ideal place to enjoy an evening tipple and the restaurant serves up classic Mexican fare. The perfect base for city exploring. See More
Hotel El Callejón Boutique Oaxaca City (Col. Xochimilco) 12 rooms from £112Local exploring - With a handy, central location, close to the city's major attractions, this hotel makes a great base for local exploringRomantic Break - Couples love the relaxed environment at this boutique bolt-hole; have drinks on the terrace to start a romantic eveningCity Style - Located in a part-heritage, part-contemporary property in Oaxaca, this hotel has a chic city charmGreat walks - Explore the historic centre of Oaxaca on foot with a long walk; visit Oaxaca's pretty botanical gardens on the way
Original adobe walls rub up against contemporary architecture in this boutique hotel, nestled in Oaxaca's historic centre. Guest suites champion both period pieces and modern furniture, with a soft palette dictated by the adobe exterior. Sliding doors lead to a shady private terrace; a chic retreat. See More
Hacienda Los Laureles Oaxaca City 23 rooms from £145Hideaway - Set within capacious tropical gardens within an upscale and quiet neighbourhood in Oaxaca — this is the perfect respite5* Luxury - A small five-star stay with elegant interiors, standout service, and traditional luxuries like a Temazcal steam bathHistoric - An early 1800's hacienda with typical wrap-around verandah, exposed beams, and thick wallsSpa - The Petit Spa offers Aromatherapy, various types of massages, and Relaxation and Reflexology
A small five-star hotel set in an upscale neighbourhood in historic Oaxaca. The traditional hacienda keeps much of its original charm with exposed beams, antiques, and a pretty verandah. Spacious tropical gardens have a pool, plus there's a spa and a regional restaurant. An authentic getaway. See More
Casa Carmen Morelos Oaxaca City (Centro) 4 rooms from £160City Style - Conceived in partnership with a local artist and set in the heart of the city, this hotel has reams of Oaxacan charmLocal exploring - Set just a few minutes' walk from Oaxaca's main square, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploringRomantic Break - The cosy, home-away-from-home feel of this hotel makes it an ideal choice for a romantic city breakSights nearby - Visit the Catedral de Nuestra Señora de La Asunción, Oaxaca's historic cathedral located close to this hotel
This unique art hotel is nestled in Soledad, the beating heart of Oaxaca. Designed in collaboration with local artist Amador Montes, the hotel offers a view of Mexico from his unique perspective. Guestrooms feature original artwork and bright textiles, a homely Mexican pied-à-terre. See More
Casa Silencio Oaxaca City (Xaaga) 6 rooms from £782Eco break - The property is self-sustaining and uses natural building techniques such as rammed earth and reclaimed woodUnusual - The hotel has been crafted as a unique space for a deeper discovery of mezcal and mezcal productionBoutique - With very well thought through design, this six room boutique hotel attends to guests' every whimFoodies - Contemporary versions of classic Oaxacan dishes are served in the indoor / outdoor restaurantRecommended by - Tablet
A unique boutique hotel designed as a space to experience all things mezcal. Designed by a renowned architect, the space is eco yet luxurious with all-natural materials and a moody-sexy aesthetic. There are legendary mezcal tastings, tours of the distillery, and fabulous regional cuisine. See More