Search the best hotels in Tulum
Perched on a cliff, overlooking pristine, white beaches and a bright green sea, the ruins of the Mayan port of Tulum make even the most banal holiday snaps beautiful. Laid back Tulum Pueblo is one of the best spots on the Riviera Maya if one of your main reasons for visiting this part of Mexico is bucket-lister Chichén Itzá or Cobá. But it’s also got some of Mexico’s most beautiful beaches, and some excellent cenote diving and cave diving opportunities. Along with the spectacular reef just off shore. Tulum’s town centre is quite close to the highway, but our Guru’s recommendations for the best places to stay in Tulum are all slightly out of town, many with access to their own private beaches.
The other thing our Guru’s list of the best hotels in Tulum share are an atmosphere of peace. Sigh. Tulum has something to offer every budget and that’s reflected in the restaurants and bars as well as the accommodation.
Away from the highway, the beach-y part of Tulum edges up beside the Sian Ka’an Biosphere which has beautiful mangrove swamps and wetlands, and so the trend here has become for eco-friendly accommodation which is complementary to the surroundings. And for boutique and spa hotels.
What Not To Miss
- Tulum’s ruins aren’t the grandest, but they are very well preserved, well looked after and they’re so picturesquely positioned right by a pristine beach, that they should be on everyone's to-do list!
- Wonderfully ancient and astronomically correct, Chichén Itzá, largest of the ancient ruined Mayan cities, will be top of many lists, but it's worth popping into the colonial town of Valladolid on your way.
- About 90kms east of Chichén Itzá is the Pre-Columbian city of Cobá - once home to 50,000 people, and now a large and sprawling ruin.
- The highlight is ‘El Castillo’, the tallest of the Mayan ruins, which juts impressively out of the jungle. You’re still able to climb it and the view is pretty amazing. Compared to many of the Yucatan’s other ruins, Cobá is undeveloped and there are limited services and unpaved trails.
- As well as diving and snorkelling off shore, it’s also worth experiencing a cenote dive. These wonderful caves and tunnels, filled with rainwater, run under much of the Yucatan peninsula and you can dive or swim in quite a lot of them. Some are large and open, while others you enter through narrow fissures of rock, and some are even inhabited with turtles and fish, or even bats!
Our selection of the best places to stay in Tulum offer visitors everything from luxurious escapes to properties ideal for a beach break.
For a Beach Break
- There are plenty of hotels right on the sand in Tulum, but Ana Y Jose Hotel is in a great spot even for Tulum’s standards, close to one of the best sea swimming spots along this stretch of coast. There are 23 rooms and an exotic spa to top it off.
- The Beach demands to be included in this section of the list, but it’s deserving, with 28 boho-chic, white-on-white rooms and lovely views just steps from a secluded stretch of white sandy beach.
- Casa Malaca is a trendy private-beach-side hotel with 40 rooms and suites, three pools and a lively bar. The decor is white one white and contemporary fabulous.
- The Sanara is a tranquil haven set between a pristine white sandy beach and tropical jungle. Chic rooms are contemporary in style; think white on white and plenty of glass. Spend rejuvenating days lounging on the beach, practicing yoga and eating superb healthy food. The ideal spot to completely relax.
- Hidden within the jungle, Be Tulum is a collection of 20 atmospheric suites with rustic chic decor and free-standing baths. The romantic restaurant blends Mediterranean and Mexican flavours and there’s a pool and spa as well as the beach right on your doorstep.
- Just outside Tulum, in a beautiful beachfront spot, Sanara is a low-key hotel with 19 rooms and suites and a great spa. There’s also a superb restaurant perfect for after your post-sunset-beach-stroll.
- La Zebra is a 16 room boutique style hotel on a quiet stretch of beach. The decor is contemporary with plenty of natural light. There’s a great seafood restaurant and a lively tequila bar if you need a bit of a kick.
For Barefoot Luxury
- If you like the idea of a small property right on the beach then Encantada Tulum is a for you. There are just eight rooms and you’re set directly against a pristine stretch of white sand. The large terraces have incredible sea views and inside the decor is simple and chic with plenty of wood.
- Mezzanine is a nine room, eco-friendly resort beside a secluded beach. There are tropical gardens and breathtaking sea views, plus plenty of activities on offer.
- The Papaya Playa Project is a collection of 73 sustainable boho-chic rooms and cabanas on a secluded stretch of white sandy beach. The decor is hip and Mayan, while the beach club is hip and Mexican.
- Nomade Tulum is a 38 room hotel in a stunning, beachfront spot. The accommodation is in a range of rustic tents, villas and suites and there’s a retreat feel to the place, and a great vegetarian restaurant.
- Casa de Las Olas is a seven suite boutique deco-hotel on its own private beach. Rooms are traditional and decorated in white, and the atmosphere is one of intimacy and peace. No children under five.
- Jashita is a luxurious beach-side property, overlooking glittering turquoise waters. There are 26 indulgent suites decorated all in white with spectacular views plus there's an excellent Italian/ Mexican fusion restaurant.
- Maria del Mar enjoys an idyllic beachside setting in Tulum and is a truly first-rate adults retreat. The rooms and suites feature a beach chic design with plenty of light and natural hues, whilst the Mina restaurant serves delicious Mexican-Argentinian fusion cuisine. Wonderfully romantic!
The Best Value Places to Stay in Tulum
- The Zamas Hotel is a laid-back 20 room property on one of Tulum’s most beautiful stretches of beach. The decor is rustic chic with wooden furniture in sort-of-tile-floored-huts, there’s also a private villa for families and the restaurant has great traditional Mayan fare. Rooms start from around £90 per night.
- For around £100 per night you can stay at the Hotel Tiki Tiki, a 15 room boutique hotel set in quiet, leafy surrounds. The decor features plenty of glass and minimalist design.
- For around £130 per night you can stay in Live Tulum, a small, hip boutique property with great beach access, private jacuzzis and white on white decor.
For an apartment or casa
- If you'd prefer your own space this holiday, check out our online partner, Booking.com for a fantastic selection of properties to suit all needs - from the centre of town to coastal spots.
- Fly to Cancún International Airport located 118km (73 miles) north of Tulum. The airport caters to a wide selection of domestic and International destinations.
- It's possible to catch a bus to Tulum from the airport, although you will need to change at least once.
- If you want to rent a car to explore everything from the beaches to the ruins - for prices visit our online partner,Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - January to March is the most popular time to visit - although it can get very busy so if you want to avoid the crowds visit between October to December for pleasant temperatures. July to October is hurricane season, and whilst you might not experience a hurricane the termperatures and humidity will be very high and you can expect plenty of rainfall.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Tulum for you?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay on the Riviera Maya,
- Alternatively widen the net to include the best places to stay in Quintana Roo,
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Tulum
Best Hotels in Tulum
Aroma Tulum Tulum (MZ 6 LT 21) 11 rooms from £87Romantic Break - With dark broody suites complete with secluded terraces with hotubs this is a romantic choiceSights nearby - Visit the Mayan ruins which were known to be one of the greatest Mayans centers of the Yucatán peninsulaDiving - Dive in the Grand Cenote, a presitigious spot for keen diversSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRecommended by - Tablet
A grown-up boutique property set within Tulum but just 15 minutes from the beach. Moody interiors are dark and undeniably romantic. Some of the suites offer private terraces with hot tubs. The lively bar serves excellent cocktails and is known for its DJ lineups. A chic stay. See More
Casa Pueblo Tulum City Centre 16 rooms from £101Hideaway - Located on the edge of town, this hotel offers a sanctuary from the hustle and bustle without losing easy access to amenitiesEco break - This hotel is proud to be 99% plastic-free and offers all-organic bathroom products, making it a truly eco-friendly holidayRomantic Break - Couples love the peaceful atmosphere at this holistic eco retreat; book a couples' massage for a romantic eveningSights nearby - Visit the ruins of Tulum, a Mayan archaeological site which includes original religious paintings in the Temple of the FrescoesRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
This eco-friendly, hacienda-inspired hotel is located in Tulum. Guestrooms line the gallery of the traditional interior patio and are bright and minimalist with rustic-style furnishings and Mexican textiles. Downstairs, a shaded terrace leads to the intimate outdoor pool; an idyllic design hotel. See More
Live Tulum Tulum 18 rooms from £105Local exploring - A chic B&B close to both Tulum's restaurants, bars and cultural sights not to mention the beach.Diving - Explore the spic cenotes (underground sink holes found in the jungle).Sights nearby - Be sure not to miss the impressive Mayan ruins.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A hip boutique property located within Tulum and with easy access to the beach. Stylish suites are all white on white with pops of electric colour and the best have private hot tubs. Indulgent breakfasts are served and kitchenettes allow budding chefs to trial mexican cooking. Very chic. See More
Villa Las Estrellas Tulum (Boca Paila Km 8) 14 rooms from £109Local exploring - With easy access to the best beaches, bars and restaurants, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploringRomantic Break - Couples love the charming private cabins at this seafront bolt-hole; book a luxury suite for ocean viewsBeach Life - Set on the seafront in Tulum, this hotel is perfect for a relaxing beach breakSights nearby - Visit the Tulum Archeological Site to see Mayan ruins; the site incorporates a clifftop castle and the Templo de las PinturasRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
Relax on unspoiled, white sand beaches at this Tulum hotel. Guestrooms are made up of traditional, thatched cabins with exposed beams and rustic-style furniture. Colourful Mexican textiles add an injection of local art and craft. Relax with a massage on the seafront after dinner; a cosy beach break. See More
Zamas Hotel Tulum (Quintana Roo) 20 rooms from £113Beach Life - Located on a stunning white sandy beach and with serious laid-backed vibes.Sights nearby - The property is just 10 minutes from the nearest Mayan ruins.Diving - Open water, cave and cenote diving all available nearby.Fishing - Fly fish in the Sian Ka’an biosphere.Recommended by - I Escape
A laid-back property located on one of the best stretches of beach in Tulum. Rustic-chic rooms feature wooden furniture, tiled floors, pastel colours and plenty of light. The private villa perfectly serves families. A beach-side restaurant serves up traditional Mayan fare. The ideal beach escape. See More
Papaya Playa Project Tulum 73 rooms from £129Beach Life - A beach property situated on a stretch of deserted white sandy beach.Diving - Embark on an excursion of the world renowned Cenote dive.Great walks - Take a class at the hotel spa.Remote - Off the beaten track.Recommended by - Design Hotels
A collection of sustainable boho-chic rooms and cabanas on a secluded stretch of powder white beach. Simply styled interiors focus on nature with inspiration coming from Mayan design. A hip beach club serves contemporary Mexican cuisine and houses a lively bar. A beach haven. See More
Kai Tulum Tulum 11 rooms from £131Romantic Break - Couples love the romantic atmosphere at this tranquil beach bolt-hole; book a luxury villa for a seaview terraceLocal exploring - Set on the coast in Tulum, this hotel is still close enough to the city to allow for local exploringBeach Life - With charming huts nestled directly on the seafront, this hotel makes a barefoot luxury beach breakSights nearby - Visit the Tulum Ruins, a 13th-century Mayan archaeological site which incorporates the Castillo and the Templo de las Pinturas
This boutique bolt-hole is located on the white sandy coast of Tulum, Mexico. Elegant guest villas are nestled on the beach and feature distressed-wood panelling and rustic furnishings; book a luxury suite for a terrace with sea views. Dine at the chic oceanfront restaurant; a stylish beach break. See More
Nomade Tulum Tulum 38 rooms from £140Sights nearby - The stunning Tulum Archeological Site, located 6 miles away, is a must visitGreat walks - Wander along the coast at sunset and take in the beautifull seaside viewsViews - Great views from hotelBarefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.Recommended by - CN Traveller
This hotel enjoys a stunning beachfront location in Tulum. It features a range of chic and rustic tents, villas and suites whilst their vegetarian Macondo restaurant serves delicious local cuisine. Forget about the hustle and bustle of modern life at this peaceful seaside retreat, a fantastic spot. See More
Mezzanine Tulum 9 rooms from £156Honeymoons - Secluded suites boasting Jacuzzis and balconies facing the Caribbean and surrounded by lush jungle and miles unspoilt beaches.Eco break - Environmentally sound, the hotel operates on solar energy, generators, and recycled rainwater.Diving - The reefs just off Tulum’s white sand beaches are home to grouper, small reef sharks and numerous colorful fishLocal markets - Check out the local crafts in Tulum, artisans work with clay, wood, and handmade textiles to create treasures.Recommended by - Fodors, Tablet
Trendy barefoot luxury with a secluded beach and tropical gardens. Relax in airy suites and rooms with breathtaking sea views. Enjoy cocktails on the sun terrace or in dappled shade on bean bags. Great water sports and activities on offer. A place to relax in style. Adults only. See More
Encantada Tulum Tulum (Zona Hotelera) 8 rooms from £225Beach Life - Set on a stunning stretch of white sandy beach.Local exploring - Easy access to Tulum's Mayan ruins.Great walks - Take long romantic walks along the pristine beach.Diving - Dive in one of the nearby cenotes.Recommended by - I Escape
A glorious boho-chic property sat directly on a pristine stretch of white sand. Rooms sat amongst the tree tops allow for epic sea views from the large terraces. Inside the style is simple and chic with plenty of wood and white washed walls. A laid back restaurant serves regional dishes. Fabulous. See More
Sanara Tulum 19 rooms from £299Diving - For a truly breathtaking experience head out scuba diving and marvel in the underwater worldSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.SpaOn the beach - In front of the hotel.Recommended by - CN Traveller
A tranquil haven set between a pristine white sandy beach and tropical jungle. Chic rooms are contemporary in style; think white on white and plenty of glass. Spend rejuvenating days lounging on the beach, practicing yoga and eating superb healthy food. The ideal spot to completely relax. See More
Hotel Tiki Tiki Tulum (Entre Av. 5 Sur y Av. 10 Sur) 15 rooms from £234Value chic - A reasonably priced stay with Miami-chic style.Sights nearby - Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Sian Ka’an.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Tablet
A small boutique hotel set in quiet leafy surrounds on the edge of Tulum. Light airy rooms feature plenty of glass, minimalist style, small terraces and luxury bathrooms. A large central pool is the perfect spot to unwind by. Well priced, chic style and easy access to Tulum's beaches. Superb. See More
Ana y Jose Hotel Tulum (Punta Piedra) 23 rooms from £260Diving - The hotel organises diving courses and excursions, explore the beautiful marine life of Mexico.Fishing - Fishing trips can be chartered from the front desk, head out on a full or half day adventure.Great walks - Beautiful sandy beaches that stretch on and on, perfect for an evening stroll.Sights nearby - This hotel is only a five minute drive from Tulum’s ancient Maya ruins.
Brilliantly situated half way along the main strand. At Ana y Jose you'll find amazing and discrete service, top class amenities and one of the best sea swimming spots in Tulum. Not forgetting the exotic spa with numerous treatments including a chocolate wrap. An A-list paradise. See More
Mukan Resort Tulum (Sian Ka'an Biosphere) 10 rooms from £236Back to Nature - Set in Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve, a UNESCO World Heritage site dedicated to preserving the flora and fauna of the coastHideaway - A far cry from the mega-resorts of Cancun, this hotel is in the remote Sian Ka’an Nature ReserveEco break - The resort has a very eco-conscious ethicFishing - Sian Ka’an saltwater lagoons are great for fly fishing, with a range of game fish: bonefish, permit, tarpon, snook and barracudaRecommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Mr & Mrs Smith
This resort is in the remote Sian Ka’an Nature Reserve, a UNESCO World Heritage site dedicated to preserving nature of the Yucatán coast. Expect beautiful walks, guided snorkelling on the reef, scuba diving, birdwatching and canoeing, creative locally-inspired cuisine, and a relaxing, neat spa. See More
Habitas Tulum, Quintana Roo 32 rooms from £242Romantic Break - Book a jungle-facing room for a couples' getaway to remember; couples love the atmosphere at this adults-only getawayBeach Life - With rooms looking directly onto the ocean, this hotel makes a perfect choice for beach loversEco break - Take a holiday that doesn't cost the earth by staying at this unique eco resortGreat walks - Discover the natural wonders of Tulum’s jungle on the hotel's winding paths on a long walk
This eco-resort is nestled on the beach in Tulum. Rooms are ocean or jungle-facing and bring the outside in with natural accents; get back to nature with an outdoor rain shower. Ocean rooms boast floor-to-ceiling windows looking onto the sea. Dine al fresco at Moro Restaurant; a chic nature retreat. See More
Maria del Mar Tulum (Tulum-Boca Paila Road, KM 5) 18 rooms from £367Sights nearby - Be sure to visit the nearby Tulum Mayan archaeological siteGreat walks - Head off hiking through the Tulum National ParkRestrictions on children - Adult onlySeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Enjoying an idyllic beachside setting in Tulum, Maria del Mar is a truly first-rate adults only retreat. The rooms and suites feature a beach chic design with plenty of light and natural hues, whilst the Mina restaurant serves up delicious Mexican-Argentinian fusion cuisine. Wonderfully romantic! See More
The Beach Tulum (Zona Hotelera) 28 rooms from £327Beach Life - It says it in the name and certainly delivers (a glorious beach).Sights nearby - Explore the ancient ruins of Chichen Itza, Tulum and Coba.Restrictions on children - Adult only.Secluded setting - For escaping.
A stunning beach side property perfectly encapsulating boho-chic style. Airy rooms are all white on white with linen draped four posters, luxurious bathrooms and lovely views. Just steps from a secluded stretch of white sandy beach, offering yoga and a spoiling spa. This is beach perfection. See More
Casa de Las Olas Tulum 7 rooms from £347Beach Life - A boho boutique property situated right on a private white sandy beach.Sights nearby - Take a tour of the Unesco World Heritage Site Sian Ka'an.Sailing - Take a boat trip and view majestic Mayan ruins.Restrictions on children - Children over 5+ are welcome.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
A boutique eco hotel set on its own private beach. Made up of just 7 suites this is an intimate spot. Rooms are traditional in style; think white washed walls, beamed ceilings and large floor to ceiling windows. Every effort has been made to make this a legitimately sustainable property. Superb. See More
La Zebra Tulum (Ejido Pino Suarez) 16 rooms from £350Beach Life - Located on a glorious stretch of white sandy beach.Great walks - Tulum has numerous yoga studios and instructors can be arranged to come to the property for private classes.Birdwatching - Visit the Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve for exciting birdwatching opportunities.Fishing - The Mayan Riviera is home to some of the best sport fishing in the world.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Tablet
A chic boutique property situated on quiet stretch of white sandy beach. Contemporary rooms have an organic feel with natural materials, plenty of light and soft hues. A lively bar offers tequila sampling and a restaurant specialises in seafood. The ideal spot for a relaxing beach holiday. See More
BE Tulum Tulum 20 rooms from £369Hideaway - Located in the jungle and next to a secluded white sandy beach.Birdwatching - Spot birds while on a kayak ride at Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve.Sights nearby - Explore the 13th century Mayan ruins of Tulum.Restrictions on children - Children over 12 are welcome.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A collections of atmospheric suites hidden amidst the Mexican jungle. Rooms are rustic chic with stylishly placed drift-wood, free standing baths and cow-hide rugs. A romantic restaurant mixes Mediterranean and Mexican flavours. Boasting a pool, spa and beach location this is the perfect hideaway. See More
Casa Malca Boca Paila Tulum 40 rooms from £402Beach Life - Find three pools, access to a white sandy beach and a lively cocktail bar. Beach perfection.Birdwatching - Search for birds from a kayak in Sian Ka’an biosphere reserve.Sights nearby - Explore the impressive and mystical cenotes.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Design Hotels, Tablet
A trendy beach side property in glorious Tulum. Stylish rooms feature rustic wooden doors, chandeliers and contemporary artwork all set against a sleek white background. Boasting three pools, a spa and private beach. A lively bar stirs up cocktails until the early hours. Fabulous. See More
Jashita Tulum 26 rooms from £421Sights nearby - Visit the extraordinary Mayan archaeological site Chichen Itza.Barefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - I Escape
A luxury beach-side property overlooking glistening turquoise waters. Indulgent suites are all white on white with fabulous bathrooms, spectacular views and sink-in-to beds. The restaurant boasts some of the finest Mexican and Italian cuisine in the area. A romantic spot for a beach holiday. See More
La Valise Zona hotelera Tulum 9 rooms from £508Back to Nature - Immerse yourself in nature at this resort sandwiched between lush jungle and sandy beaches with rooms that open out on one sideTotal relaxation - Day beds and hammocks, leisurly lunches and long suppers, in room Maya cocoa body scrubs and deep tissue massagesGreat walks - Wander the beach or the jungle paths and allow yourself to reconnect with the natural worldSights nearby - Tulum’s 13th-century Maya ruins are a must see for every visitor- utterly spectacularRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
A wonderfully refreshing and intimate resort on the Caribbean coastline of Tulum. Beautiful suites with high palapa roofs, local artworks, and balconies complete with hammocks and views of the azure ocean beyond. The open air restaurant serves innovative modern takes on traditional Mexican cuisine. See More