- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Tulum
Perched on a cliff, overlooking pristine, white beaches and a bright green sea, the ruins of the Mayan port of Tulum make even the most banal holiday snaps beautiful. Laid back Tulum Pueblo is one of the best spots on the Riviera Maya if one of your main reasons for visiting this part of Mexico is bucket-lister Chichén Itzá or Cobá. But it’s also got some of Mexico’s most beautiful beaches, and some excellent cenote diving and cave diving opportunities. Along with the spectacular reef just off shore. Tulum’s town centre is quite close to the highway, but our Guru’s recommendations for the best places to stay in Tulum are all slightly out of town, many with access to their own private beaches.
The other thing our Guru’s list of the best hotels in Tulum share are an atmosphere of peace. Sigh. Tulum has something to offer every budget and that’s reflected in the restaurants and bars as well as the accommodation.
Away from the highway, the beach-y part of Tulum edges up beside the Sian Ka’an Biosphere which has beautiful mangrove swamps and wetlands, and so the trend here has become for eco-friendly accommodation which is complementary to the surroundings. And for boutique and spa hotels.
What Not To Miss
- Tulum’s ruins aren’t the grandest, but they are very well preserved, well looked after and they’re so picturesquely positioned right by a pristine beach, that they should be on everyone's to-do list!
- Wonderfully ancient and astronomically correct, Chichén Itzá, largest of the ancient ruined Mayan cities, will be top of many lists, but it's worth popping into the colonial town of Valladolid on your way.
- About 90kms east of Chichén Itzá is the Pre-Columbian city of Cobá - once home to 50,000 people, and now a large and sprawling ruin.
- The highlight is ‘El Castillo’, the tallest of the Mayan ruins, which juts impressively out of the jungle. You’re still able to climb it and the view is pretty amazing. Compared to many of the Yucatan’s other ruins, Cobá is undeveloped and there are limited services and unpaved trails.
- As well as diving and snorkelling off shore, it’s also worth experiencing a cenote dive. These wonderful caves and tunnels, filled with rainwater, run under much of the Yucatan peninsula and you can dive or swim in quite a lot of them. Some are large and open, while others you enter through narrow fissures of rock, and some are even inhabited with turtles and fish, or even bats!
Our selection of the best places to stay in Tulum offer visitors everything from luxurious escapes to properties ideal for a beach break.
For a Beach Break
- There are plenty of hotels right on the sand in Tulum, but Ana Y Jose Hotel is in a great spot even for Tulum’s standards, close to one of the best sea swimming spots along this stretch of coast. There are 23 rooms and an exotic spa to top it off.
- The Beach demands to be included in this section of the list, but it’s deserving, with 28 boho-chic, white-on-white rooms and lovely views just steps from a secluded stretch of white sandy beach.
- Casa Malaca is a trendy private-beach-side hotel with 40 rooms and suites, three pools and a lively bar. The decor is white one white and contemporary fabulous.
- The Sanara is a tranquil haven set between a pristine white sandy beach and tropical jungle. Chic rooms are contemporary in style; think white on white and plenty of glass. Spend rejuvenating days lounging on the beach, practicing yoga and eating superb healthy food. The ideal spot to completely relax.
- Hidden within the jungle, Be Tulum is a collection of 20 atmospheric suites with rustic chic decor and free-standing baths. The romantic restaurant blends Mediterranean and Mexican flavours and there’s a pool and spa as well as the beach right on your doorstep.
- Just outside Tulum, in a beautiful beachfront spot, Sanara is a low-key hotel with 19 rooms and suites and a great spa. There’s also a superb restaurant perfect for after your post-sunset-beach-stroll.
- La Zebra is a 16 room boutique style hotel on a quiet stretch of beach. The decor is contemporary with plenty of natural light. There’s a great seafood restaurant and a lively tequila bar if you need a bit of a kick.
For Barefoot Luxury
- If you like the idea of a small property right on the beach then Encantada Tulum is a for you. There are just eight rooms and you’re set directly against a pristine stretch of white sand. The large terraces have incredible sea views and inside the decor is simple and chic with plenty of wood.
- Mezzanine is a nine room, eco-friendly resort beside a secluded beach. There are tropical gardens and breathtaking sea views, plus plenty of activities on offer.
- The Papaya Playa Project is a collection of 73 sustainable boho-chic rooms and cabanas on a secluded stretch of white sandy beach. The decor is hip and Mayan, while the beach club is hip and Mexican.
- Nomade Tulum is a 38 room hotel in a stunning, beachfront spot. The accommodation is in a range of rustic tents, villas and suites and there’s a retreat feel to the place, and a great vegetarian restaurant.
- Casa de Las Olas is a seven suite boutique deco-hotel on its own private beach. Rooms are traditional and decorated in white, and the atmosphere is one of intimacy and peace. No children under five.
- Jashita is a luxurious beach-side property, overlooking glittering turquoise waters. There are 26 indulgent suites decorated all in white with spectacular views plus there's an excellent Italian/ Mexican fusion restaurant.
- Maria del Mar enjoys an idyllic beachside setting in Tulum and is a truly first-rate adults retreat. The rooms and suites feature a beach chic design with plenty of light and natural hues, whilst the Mina restaurant serves delicious Mexican-Argentinian fusion cuisine. Wonderfully romantic!
The Best Value Places to Stay in Tulum
- The Zamas Hotel is a laid-back 20 room property on one of Tulum’s most beautiful stretches of beach. The decor is rustic chic with wooden furniture in sort-of-tile-floored-huts, there’s also a private villa for families and the restaurant has great traditional Mayan fare. Rooms start from around £90 per night.
- For around £100 per night you can stay at the Hotel Tiki Tiki, a 15 room boutique hotel set in quiet, leafy surrounds. The decor features plenty of glass and minimalist design.
- For around £130 per night you can stay in Live Tulum, a small, hip boutique property with great beach access, private jacuzzis and white on white decor.
For an apartment or casa
- If you'd prefer your own space this holiday, check out our online partner, Booking.com for a fantastic selection of properties to suit all needs - from the centre of town to coastal spots.
- Fly to Cancún International Airport located 118km (73 miles) north of Tulum. The airport caters to a wide selection of domestic and International destinations.
- It's possible to catch a bus to Tulum from the airport, although you will need to change at least once.
- If you want to rent a car to explore everything from the beaches to the ruins - for prices visit our online partner,Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - January to March is the most popular time to visit - although it can get very busy so if you want to avoid the crowds visit between October to December for pleasant temperatures. July to October is hurricane season, and whilst you might not experience a hurricane the termperatures and humidity will be very high and you can expect plenty of rainfall.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Tulum for you?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay on the Riviera Maya,
- Alternatively widen the net to include the best places to stay in Quintana Roo,
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Tulum
Hotel Tiki Tiki 15 rooms from £100Tulum (Entre Av. 5 Sur y Av. 10 Sur)
A small boutique hotel set in quiet leafy surrounds on the edge of Tulum. Light airy rooms feature plenty of glass, minimalist style, small terraces and luxury bathrooms. A large central pool is the perfect spot to unwind by. Well priced, chic style and easy access to Tulum's beaches. Superb.Value chic - A reasonably priced stay with Miami-chic style.Sights nearby - Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Sian Ka’an.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Tablet
Zamas Hotel 20 rooms from £111Tulum (Quintana Roo)
A laid-back property located on one of the best stretches of beach in Tulum. Rustic-chic rooms feature wooden furniture, tiled floors, pastel colours and plenty of light. The private villa perfectly serves families. A beach-side restaurant serves up traditional Mayan fare. The ideal beach escape.Beach Life - Located on a stunning white sandy beach and with serious laid-backed vibes.Sights nearby - The property is just 10 minutes from the nearest Mayan ruins.Diving - Open water, cave and cenote diving all available nearby.Fishing - Fly fish in the Sian Ka’an biosphere.Recommended by - I Escape
Mezzanine 9 rooms from £121Tulum
Trendy barefoot luxury with a secluded beach and tropical gardens. Relax in airy suites and rooms with breathtaking sea views. Enjoy cocktails on the sun terrace or in dappled shade on bean bags. Great water sports and activities on offer. A place to relax in style. Adults only.Honeymoons - Secluded suites boasting Jacuzzis and balconies facing the Caribbean and surrounded by lush jungle and miles unspoilt beaches.Eco break - Environmentally sound, the hotel operates on solar energy, generators, and recycled rainwater.Diving - The reefs just off Tulum’s white sand beaches are home to grouper, small reef sharks and numerous colorful fishLocal markets - Check out the local crafts in Tulum, artisans work with clay, wood, and handmade textiles to create treasures.Recommended by - Fodors, Tablet
Papaya Playa Project 73 rooms from £127Tulum
A collection of sustainable boho-chic rooms and cabanas on a secluded stretch of powder white beach. Simply styled interiors focus on nature with inspiration coming from Mayan design. A hip beach club serves contemporary Mexican cuisine and houses a lively bar. A beach haven.Beach Life - A beach property situated on a stretch of deserted white sandy beach.Diving - Embark on an excursion of the world renowned Cenote dive.Great walks - Take a class at the hotel spa.Remote - Off the beaten track.
Live Tulum 18 rooms from £132Tulum
A hip boutique property located within Tulum and with easy access to the beach. Stylish suites are all white on white with pops of electric colour and the best have private jacuzzis. Indulgent breakfasts are served and kitchenettes allow budding chefs to trial mexican cooking. Very chic.Local exploring - A chic B&B close to both Tulum's restaurants, bars and cultural sights not to mention the beach.Diving - Explore the spic cenotes (underground sink holes found in the jungle).Sights nearby - Be sure not to miss the impressive Mayan ruins.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Nomade Tulum 38 rooms from £138Tulum
This hotel enjoys a stunning beachfront location in Tulum. It features a range of chic and rustic tents, villas and suites whilst their vegetarian Macondo restaurant serves delicious local cuisine. Forget about the hustle and bustle of modern life at this peaceful seaside retreat, a fantastic spot.Sights nearby - The stunning Tulum Archeological Site, located 6 miles away, is a must visitGreat walks - Wander along the coast at sunset and take in the beautifull seaside viewsViews - Great views from hotelBarefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Encantada Tulum 8 rooms from £221Tulum (Zona Hotelera)
A glorious boho-chic property sat directly on a pristine stretch of white sand. Rooms sat amongst the tree tops allow for epic sea views from the large terraces. Inside the style is simple and chic with plenty of wood and white washed walls. A laid backed restaurant serves regional dishes. Fabulous.Beach Life - Set on a stunning stretch of white sandy beach.Local exploring - Easy access to Tulum's Mayan ruins.Great walks - Take long romantic walks along the pristine beach.Diving - Dive in one of the nearby cenotes.Recommended by - I Escape
Sanara 19 rooms from £299Tulum
A tranquil haven set between a pristine white sandy beach and tropical jungle. Chic rooms are contemporary in style; think white on white and plenty of glass. Spend rejuvenating days lounging on the beach, practicing yoga and eating superb healthy food. The ideal spot to completely relax.Diving - For a truly breathtaking experience head out scuba diving and marvel in the underwater worldSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.SpaOn the beach - In front of the hotel.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Ana y Jose Hotel 23 rooms from £263Tulum (Punta Piedra)
Brilliantly situated half way along the main strand. At Ana y Jose you'll find amazing and discrete service, top class amenities and one of the best sea swimming spots in Tulum. Not forgetting the exotic spa with numerous treatments including a chocolate wrap. An A-list paradise.Diving - The hotel organises diving courses and excursions, explore the beautiful marine life of Mexico.Fishing - Fishing trips can be chartered from the front desk, head out on a full or half day adventure.Great walks - Beautiful sandy beaches that stretch on and on, perfect for an evening stroll.Sights nearby - This hotel is only a five minute drive from Tulum’s ancient Maya ruins.
Mukan Resort 10 rooms from £232Tulum (Sian Ka'an Biosphere)
This resort is in the remote Sian Ka’an Nature Reserve, a UNESCO World Heritage site dedicated to preserving nature of the Yucatán coast. Expect beautiful walks, guided snorkelling on the reef, scuba diving, birdwatching and canoeing, creative locally-inspired cuisine, and a relaxing, neat spa.Back to Nature - Set in Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve, a UNESCO World Heritage site dedicated to preserving the flora and fauna of the coastHideaway - A far cry from the mega-resorts of Cancun, this hotel is in the remote Sian Ka’an Nature ReserveEco break - The resort has a very eco-conscious ethicFishing - Sian Ka’an saltwater lagoons are great for fly fishing, with a range of game fish: bonefish, permit, tarpon, snook and barracuda
Maria del Mar 18 rooms from £367Tulum (Tulum-Boca Paila Road, KM 5)
Enjoying an idyllic beachside setting in Tulum, Maria del Mar is a truly first-rate adults retreat. The rooms and suites feature a beach chic design with plenty of light and natural hues, whilst the Mina restaurant serves up delicious Mexican-Argentinian fusion cuisine. Wonderfully romantic!Sights nearby - Be sure to visit the nearby Tulum Mayan archaeological siteGreat walks - Head off hiking through the Tulum National ParkRestrictions on children - Adult onlySeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
The Beach 28 rooms from £322Tulum (Zona Hotelera)
A stunning beach side property perfectly encapsulating boho-chic style. Airy rooms are all white on white with linen draped four posters, luxurious bathrooms and lovely views. Just steps from a secluded stretch of white sandy beach, offering yoga and a spoiling spa. This is beach perfection.Beach Life - It says it in the name and certainly delivers (a glorious beach).Sights nearby - Explore the ancient ruins of Chichen Itza, Tulum and Coba.Restrictions on children - Adult only.Secluded setting - For escaping.
Casa de Las Olas 7 rooms from £342Tulum
A boutique eco hotel set on its own private beach. Made up of just 7 suites this is an intimate spot. Rooms are traditional in style; think white washed walls, beamed ceilings and large floor to ceiling windows. Every effort has been made to make this a legitimately sustainable property. Superb.Beach Life - A boho boutique property situated right on a private white sandy beach.Sights nearby - Take a tour of the Unesco World Heritage Site Sian Ka'an.Sailing - Take a boat trip and view majestic Mayan ruins.Restrictions on children - Children over 5+ are welcome.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
La Zebra 16 rooms from £344Tulum (Ejido Pino Suarez)
A chic boutique property situated on quiet stretch of white sandy beach. Contemporary rooms have an organic feel with natural materials, plenty of light and soft hues. A lively bar offers tequila sampling and a restaurant specialises in seafood. The ideal spot for a relaxing beach holiday.Beach Life - Located on a glorious stretch of white sandy beach.Great walks - Tulum has numerous yoga studios and instructors can be arranged to come to the property for private classes.Birdwatching - Visit the Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve for exciting birdwatching opportunities.Fishing - The Mayan Riviera is home to some of the best sport fishing in the world.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Tablet
BE Tulum 20 rooms from £363Tulum
A collections of atmospheric suites hidden amidst the Mexican jungle. Rooms are rustic chic with stylishly placed drift-wood, free standing baths and cow-hide rugs. A romantic restaurant mixes Mediterranean and Mexican flavours. Boasting a pool, spa and beach location this is the perfect hideaway.Hideaway - Located in the jungle and next to a secluded white sandy beach.Birdwatching - Spot birds while on a kayak ride at Sian Ka’an Biosphere Reserve.Sights nearby - Explore the 13th century Mayan ruins of Tulum.Restrictions on children - Children over 12 are welcome.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Casa Malca 40 rooms from £395Boca Paila Tulum
A trendy beach side property in glorious Tulum. Stylish rooms feature rustic wooden doors, chandeliers and contemporary artwork all set against a sleek white background. Boasting three pools, a spa and private beach. A lively bar stirs up cocktails until the early hours. Fabulous.Beach Life - Find three pools, access to a white sandy beach and a lively cocktail bar. Beach perfection.Birdwatching - Search for birds from a kayak in Sian Ka’an biosphere reserve.Sights nearby - Explore the impressive and mystical cenotes.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Jashita 26 rooms from £415Tulum
A luxury beach-side property overlooking glistening turquoise waters. Indulgent suites are all white on white with fabulous bathrooms, spectacular views and sink-in-to beds. The restaurant boasts some of the finest Mexican and Italian cuisine in the area. A romantic spot for a beach holiday.Sights nearby - Visit the extraordinary Mayan archaeological site Chichen Itza.Barefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - I Escape