Search the best hotels in Cancún
Cancún is beautiful, exotic, and on a spectacular stretch of white sandy coastline. It’s also extremely popular with folk who want a holiday where they can really let their hair down, especially since the 1970s when resorts started shooting up from seemingly nowhere. Cancún is in the heart of Quintana Roo, a fascinating region known for its Mayan treasures, hidden in the jungle, so there’s plenty of exploring to do, and some of the best places to stay in Cancún are really geared up to helping you do that.
Cancún is easy to get around: the city is to the north, the airport to the south and in between, on the stretch of land between the sea and the lagoon, is the Hotel Zone, where you’ll find all the big hotels, the beaches and beach bars. The Hotel Zone is also where you’ll find the excellent aquarium. Markets and street vendors abound, selling everything from suncream and fruit to locally made handicrafts and objets d'art.
Taking a trip out to one of the islands is a nice thing to do, and you can do a spot of diving or snorkelling with it. Isla Mujeres is an obvious choice, but Isla Contoy is known for its natural beauty and as a nesting site for over 150 different kinds of seabirds. The Museo Maya de Cancún is also worth visiting for its impressive collection of pre-colonial artefacts and its immersive detailing of local history. And even if you’re here to relax and enjoy yourself rather than see the sights, it’s still worth taking the trip out to Chichén Itzá. If you're looking for a quieter stretch of sandy coastline and a more laid-back vibe, be sure to take the ferry out to Holbox - a tropical island paradise off the coast.
What not to miss
- Head out by boat to Isla Contoy and marvel at the many exotic birds nesting there and the breathtaking natural beauty abounding.
- Visit the Museo Maya de Cancun and immerse yourself in the dark and beautiful history of the Mayans.
- Take the ferry out to Holbox for a weekend and hang out with weathered old bohemians at the beach with a mojito!
- Take a guided tour into the heart of the jungle and visit ancient Mayan settlements.
Whether you're bathing in the sun on the white sand beach, taking a boat out to nearby islands or journeying into the heart of the jungle, you will find Cancun to be as vibrant as it is beautiful. Check out our collection of the best places to stay in Cancun to find out more!
The best places to stay in Cancun
For Seaside chic
- The Nizuc Resort & Spa has a beachfront spot on the Punta Nizuc, which is just out of Cancún proper and offers panoramic views of the Caribbean. This is a big hotel - with 274 rooms and suites - with chic, contemporary decor, a luxurious spa and a choice of six onsite restaurants.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Cancún is a popular destination - it’s been carefully planned and designed to be a tourist draw: before the 70s there was nothing here at all but pristine white sand and the Mayan ruins half hidden in the beautiful jungle - so in the season, which is between December and April, it can be really busy. But it’s quieter in the summer, which can be really hot, and early autumn. Don't forget that hurricane season runs from June to November.
- Fly to Mexico City and get a connection to Cancun.
- If you want to rent a car we recommend contacting our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Cancún
Ritz Carlton Cancún Cancún 363 rooms from £233Spa breaks - With a full-service spa onsite that includes a sauna, steam room and treatments, book this hotel for your next pampering holidayFoodies - Foodies are spoiled for choice with eight restaurants to choose from at this luxury hotel; catch live jazz at the Club GrillBeach Life - With a privileged seafront location in Cancún, this five-star hotel makes a VIP beach getawaySights nearby - Visit the Mayan ruins of Tulum, Cobá and Chichén-Itzá; the hotel offers a range of guided tours
Barefoot luxury meets a five-star finish at this beachfront bolt-hole in Cancún. Interiors are bright and inviting, bringing the seaside in with a sandy palette and ocean views; book a suite for a homely living room. Dine at one of 8 restaurants before booking into the spa; an indulgent beach break. See More
Le Blanc Spa Resort Cancún (Cancún) 260 rooms from £284Spa breaks - With massage services, yoga, a sauna and steam room all onsite, book this hotel for your next spa holidayRomantic Break - Couples love the grown-up atmosphere at this adults-only bolt-hole; book a luxury suite for sea viewsBeach Life - Set on an exclusive stretch of private beach in Cancún, this hotel makes a luxury seaside getawayRestrictions on children - Adults-only hotel
This exclusive seafront spa resort is set on one of the most tranquil private beaches in Cancún. Luxury marble tiles adorn the bright guest suites, many with sea views; book a spa suite for a private jacuzzi. Check-in for a treatment at the full-service spa before dinner on the beach; a VIP getaway. See More
Nizuc Resort & Spa Cancún (21.26,) 274 rooms from £406Total relaxation - There are a variety of treatements on offer at the luxurious spa or you can book yourself a massage to truly unwindFoodies - Take advantage of the six on site restaurants serving Mexican, Peruvian, Asian and Mediterranean cuisineOutstanding locationSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Nizuc Resort & Spa enjoys a beachfront location on the secluded Punta Nizuc and offers beautiful panoramic views of the Caribbean Sea. This designer hotel features chic and contemporary accommodation whilst you can spend your days lounging carefree by the seaside. A luxurious and top-notch stay! See More