Search the best hotels in Yucatán
A state as well as a peninsula, Yucatán is the northern part of the Yucatán Peninsula. If that sounds a bit confusing Cancun, Cozumel and Tulum are to the south in Qunitana Roo, and Mérida is at Yucatán state’s heart. Being the largest city, a number of our Guru’s recommendations for the best places to stay in Yucatán are in Mérida, but there are also some wonderful hidden resorts and haciendas and these are fantastic options if you’ve come to this part of Mexico to explore the jungle and the relics of the ancient Mayan civilisation hidden within.
Many of the great haciendas of Yucatán grew rich from growing a special kind of plant used to make super strong rope, which was extremely popular in the 19th century. In the early years of the 20th century Mérida was home to more millionaires than any other city on the planet.
What Not To Miss
- Mérida retains a wonderful colonial feel, partly due to the jungle setting and the architecture and partly from the climate. It is tropical, so people get most of their work done in the morning, take long siestas in the afternoon and come back in the evening when the cooler breezes roll in off the Gulf of Mexico.
- Valladolid is the other great Spanish colonial era city in Yucatán, and as well as being beautiful in its own right it’s also the closest city to....
- The Chichen Itza, the Yucatán’s largest and most famous Mayan ruin - and included in the list of the New Seven Wonders of the World. Ek Balam is also close to Valladolid. Uxmal, the other major Mayan site, is just south of Mérida.
- And of course there are the beaches. These are similar to those on the southern side of the peninsular, but generally less crowded and dare we say it, a bit more romantic - assuming your idea of romantic is peaceful and beautiful - and less mass tourism.
- Don't miss the Ruins of Tulum - the site of one of the last cities built and inhabited by the Maya. The ruins have a beauty about them and are amongst the best-preserved in existence.
The Hotel Guru's selection of the best places to stay in Yucutan encompass everything from absolute luxury to bases ideal for explorers - so don't hesitate to book one of these gems for your dream holiday.
The best places to stay in the Yucatan
For a City Break
- Rosas & Xocolate (Chocolate and Roses) is a themed property converted from two beautiful mansions in Mérida’s historic heart. The conversion is luxurious and the themes run all the way to the chocolate spa treatments
- Also in central Mérida, Casa Lecanda is a smart, seven room property with tiled floors, high ceilings and large bathrooms. There is an outdoor pool, a wine bar and a restaurant serving international cuisine.
- The Hacienda San José is a stylish jungle escape with a world class spa. Accommodation is in a collection of 11 rooms and four very private villas. The villas have private jacuzzi pools and hanging double beds.
- Just outside Mérida, the Hacienda Xcanatun is a beautifully renovated, 18 room hacienda with traditional decor and some lovely antiques. The hacienda has two freshwater pools, a fabulous spa and a renowned gourmet restaurant. You’re also very well located for exploring Mayan ruins.
- Chable Resort is a luxurious, 43 room property hidden in a stretch of jungle. Converted from a manor house, there’s now a choice of staying in rooms or suites within the house or staying in one of the outlying private villas which come complete with their own swimming pool. There’s a stunning spa and three restaurants.
- The Hacienda Temozon is a beautifully converted estate with 28 luxurious, colonial style rooms and some lovely antiques along with the traditional tiled floors and wooden shutters. There’s an enormous pool and a spoiling spa. The restaurant serves local cuisine. And you’re close to Chichen Itza.
On a Budget
- The Hotel Hacienda Mérida offers fabulously stylish accommodation just a short walk from the main square. A traditional exterior belies contemporary interiors plus a bar and two pools. Rooms start from around £65 per night.
For an apartment or casa
- If you'd prefer your own space, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a great selection of properties scattered throughout the region.
- Fly to Mérida International Airport located only 11km (7 miles) from the city of Merida. The airport serves a range of both domestic and International carriers
- If you would like to rent a car to explore everything this wonderful region has to offer, then for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - December to April offers typically dry and warm weather ideal for enjoying the beaches, ruins and everything else.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Yucatán
Hotel Hacienda Merida Mérida (No 439 x 51 y 53 Centro) 12 rooms from £101Local markets - Mercado Maya for local souvenires such as Panama hats and hammocksSights nearby - Visit the beautiful Iglesia de JesusFour poster beds - For romantics.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - I Escape
Unlike its traditional facade, this hacienda, located in the heart of Merida is contemporary in style. There is a bar and a chlorine-free pool. Whilst only breakfast is served, you are stumbling distance from the bars and cafes of Plaza Mayor. Book early for the balcony rooms! See More
Casa Lecanda Mérida (Centro) 7 rooms from £162Sights nearby - Go see La Mejorada Park, Merida Cathedral or the Main Square (all of which are within walking distance)Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Casa Lecanda is situated in central Mérida. It offers smart rooms with high ceilings, tiled floors and large bathrooms whilst there's also an outdoor pool-perfect for a refreshing dip to escape the heat! Visit the wine bar and enjoy international cuisine in their restaurant. A superb city choice! See More
Hacienda Xcanatun Mérida (Km 12 Carretera Progreso Merida) 18 rooms from £180Spa breaks - A glorious spa offering holistic treatments using indigenous herbs, flowers and honey.Local exploring - Well located as a jump off point for exploring Mayan ruins.Sights nearby - Explore the Mayan cities of Uxmal, Chichen Itza, Dzibilchaltun and Yaxunach.Birdwatching - Find over 100 species at the mangroves in the Celestun Nature Reserve.Recommended by - I Escape
A beautifully renovated Hacienda situated just outside Mérida. Well proportioned rooms are traditional in style with high beamed ceilings, antique furniture and tiled floors. Boasting two freshwater pools, a fabulous spa and renowned gourmet restaurant. Close to many Mayan ruins. Superb. See More
Hacienda Temozon Yucatan, Yucatán 28 rooms from £211Country Escape - A converted estate holding onto its original charm yet with plenty of contemporary luxury.Sights nearby - Make a trip to the Archeoligical site Chichen Itza.Secluded setting - For escaping.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A beautifully converted estate offering the height of luxury. Colonial styled rooms are all high ceilings, antique furniture tiled floors and wooden shutters. An enormous pool is ideal for lazy days and the spa is totally spoiling. Sample Yucatecan cuisine in the candlelit restaurant. Fabulous. See More
Hacienda San Jose Mérida (Yucatan) 15 rooms from £211Hideaway - A small boutique property nestled in the jungle.Diving - Dive in Mayan sacred cenotes for an unforgetable experience.Sights nearby - Make a trip to the ‘yellow city’ of Izamal.Secluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Hidden amidst thick jungle find an absolute treasure of a property. A small boutique hotel painted mustard yellow. Enormous rooms are traditional in style with high ceilings, whirring fans and four poster beds. A superb spa is utterly spoiling and the pool completely tranquil. The perfect hideaway. See More
Coqui Coqui Mérida (Centro) 1 rooms from £320Honeymoons - This stunning one room boutique offers a caverneous and resplendent suite complete with private balcony and side by side bathsCity Style - A fabulous boutique situated above a famed perfumery- glittering chandeliers, smooth marble and orginal Mexican tilingOther Activities - It is hard to pull yourself away from this fabulous suite, spend as much time as you can in this velvet trimmed havenHotel Entertainment - The wonderful one room spa offers signature Coqui Coqui rituals to restore you to your full potentialRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A majestic one room boutique, sitting above a famed perfumery in Mérida’s Centro Histórico. You will feel like royalty in this indulgent suite, with a balcony overlooking the courtyard, it is gilded and glittering, without feeling overdone. The cafe and bar are relaxed and Parisian in feel. Superb. See More
Chable Resort Yucatán, Yucatán 43 rooms from £724Foodies - Fine dining with produce taken from the property's Mayan garden and housing the world's largest tequila collection.Country Escape - Deep in the forest revel in utter tranquility and luxury.Sights nearby - Explore the nearby mystical Mayan ruins.Remote - Off the beaten track.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Tablet
A luxury property hidden amidst a forest. Stay within the converted manor house or hire a private villa complete with swimming pool. A stunning spa will aid total rejuvenation. The three restaurants serve gourmet cuisine using organic produce. The ultimate spot to 'get away from it all'. See More