Search the best hotels in Auckland
The biggest and most culturally diverse city in New Zealand, Auckland is a classic first stop on any visit to Aotearoa. Ringed by dramatic volcanic cones which punctuate an otherwise bucolic landscape, the city is centred upon two spectacular harbours, where you’ll find shops, eateries and museums aplenty. Accommodation options range from friendly neighbourhood guesthouses to slick waterfront hotels with impressive facilities. Whilst many of the best places to stay in Auckland promise harbour views and plenty of action, some of our favourite little spots are tucked away in trendy Ponsonby or relaxed Devonport, perfect for a slower-paced couples’ break.
Some of our Auckland Collections:
- 5 of the Best Boutique Hotels in Auckland
- The 5 Best Family Hotels in Auckland
- 6 of the Most Romantic Hotels in Auckland
- The Best Hotels Near Auckland Harbour
- 7 of the Best Wine Hotels Auckland and Waiheke Island
The CBD is easily the busiest part of the city, and great for business trips or on-foot explorations. This is where you’ll find big-hitters such as Aotea Square, the Auckland Art Gallery, the Maritime Museum, the Sky Tower — complete with bungee-jumping opportunities — the Domain, and the War Memorial Museum. With bars and restaurants galore, this is a hotspot for foodies and well-heeled party types.
Auckland Harbour is another favourite district of ours, with its waterfront eateries, slick bars and luxury hotels. Ferry trips across to historic Devonport are right on your doorstep, as is the chance to sail, kayak and cruise the waters. For a more laid-back neighbourhood, look to elegant Parnell or artsy Ponsonby. Most of the accommodation options in these areas are intimate guesthouses, often in restored heritage homes.
Outdoorsy travellers will delight in Auckland’s many cycling, walking and running routes, as well as the chance to get out on the harbour. Clamber up One Tree Hill for 360-degree city views and consider hiking up Mt. Eden, Mt. Wellington, Mt. Rosalie and Mt. Albert, if you’re really into walking. Surfers, kite surfers and beach-goers, on the other hand, should look to lovely Orewa. Extend your trip beyond the best places to stay in Auckland with a couple of days amongst the olives groves and vineyards of Waiheke Island.
The Best Places to Stay in Auckland
For an Intimate Guesthouse
- The Great Ponsonby Art Hotel is a charming historic B&B run by friendly Auckland locals. The 11 simple, attractive rooms feature bold painted walls with work by local artists. Stay here for the relaxed feel and the proximity to the cafés and boutiques of hip Ponsonby. Breakfasts are very generous.
- Franklin 38 is a chic, boutique guesthouse with just four spacious suites in a heritage Ponsonby residence. Contemporary interious feature a monochrome palette and impressive bathrooms. For well-heeled couples.
- Andelin Guest House offers five elegant rooms in a restored 19th-century home in seaside Devonport. 10 minutes from central Auckland by ferry, this is a peaceful pad with appealing interiors and a laid-back feel. Great for outdoorsy travellers eager to kick back on the beach or enjoy long walks. The owners are very welcoming.
- The Hotel Britomart has a burgeoning reputation as one of the coolest places to stay in the city. Foodies and lovers of great interiors will delight in this soulful spot. Contemporary suites boast epic views, there's chic private dining and hip Kingi Restaurant is a gem. Chef Tom Hishon uses sustainably caught seafood to create innovative dishes paired with North Island wines.
For City Style
- Hotel DeBrett is a converted Victorian building with retro rooms, two top-notch bars and a buzzing eatery. A lovely, independently owned choice for families, couples or friends looking to stay somewhere in central Auckland with a bit of atmosphere. Very cool Art Deco touches.
- SkyCity Grand Hotel Auckland is large, luxurious and very central. Pick this place for the plethora of cafés, bars and restaurants, the 25-metre swimming pool and East Day Spa, and the epic views. A modern city hotel for business or leisure.
- Stamford Plaza Auckland has two bars, four restaurants, an indoor pool, jacuzzi and fitness centre, all close to the CBD and lively Viaduct Harbour. Stay here for a smart business trip or city break.
- Rydges Auckland is large and very central, well-suited to business travellers eager to stay in the heart of the city. The 12 meeting rooms and conference facilities - with space for up to 200 guests - make this a top pick for product launches, work trips and city weddings. There's a gym, cocktail bar and good restaurant, too.
- Fable Auckland is an Art Deco gem, with splendid interiors featuring chandeliers, marble floors and velvet upholstery. Expect romantic rooms and suites, as well as a top-notch fine dining restaurant. Afternoon teas are a real treat, too. A couples' favourite.
- SO/Auckland promises a hip city stay with a focus on great design. The So/Spa is very special. Other highlights include the top-notch Harbour Society eatery, and the lively rooftop bar -- ideal for couples, friends or sociable independent travellers. Can feel very romantic.
- Warblers Retreat is an intimate eco-lodge with just three rooms, nestled in the forest just 30 minutes from Auckland. Expect outdoor tubs, large terraces and a big saltwater pool. An idyllic wedding venue or honeymoon escape. Adults only.
For Families or Groups
- Pullman Auckland is luxurious and well-located, close to Albert Park and Waitemata Harbour. Families will appreciate the inter-connecting rooms and self-catering apartments, the swimming pool and the excellent restaurant. Grown-ups can also kick back at the spa! A comfortable contemporary high-rise hotel, also well-suited to couples or business travellers.
- Cordis Auckland offers a five-star stay with ultra-modern interiors, family-friendly spaces and a kids' programme. The rooftop pool will be a big hit with the kids, whilst adults can unwind at the Chuan Spa. Eight Restaurant is a foodie destination in its own right. Big and luxurious.
- Latitude 37 is a collection of luxurious one, two, three-bedroom, self-catering apartments in Viaduct Harbour. All have full kitchens, sitting rooms and contemporary decor, whilst the best have terraces and waterfront views. Great for longer stays as family or group -- or for business trips.
- Naumi Hotel Auckland Airport turns the typical airport hotel experience on its head. Instead, expect funky interiors and a sociable buzz. Play mini-golf, swim in the pool or tuck into Asian fusion fare at Paksa, before or after your flight. Fun for family and friends.
For Waterfront Views
- Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour is a luxurious waterfront hotel with its own private marina. The 157 rooms and suites are highly design-focused, there's a fantastic restaurant, and evenings at the rooftop bar are buzzing. The indoor pool and Sofitel Spa are special, too. Excellent.
- Hilton Auckland offers the ultimate harbour-front hotel experience, jutting out over the water and featuring huge floor-to-ceiling windows. There's a swish bar and seafood restaurant, and well as a gym and outdoor lap pool. Families are well catered for with suites, kids' menus and babysitting services.
- M Social Auckland is a 190-room designer hotel overlooking Auckland Harbour. Minimalist rooms feature floor-to-ceiling windows, big bathtubs and high-tech gadgets. The acclaimed Beast & Butterflies Restaurant is a highlight, and the views are striking.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Auckland Airport, widely deemed to be the gateway to New Zealand, and travel into the city by bus or taxi.
- New Zealand is famously wonderful for a road trip, and Auckland makes an excellent starting point! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer for the best weather, with temperatures peaking at around 23°C between December and April. For a quieter trip and great deals, look at May or October-November, though these months will be cooler and showers more frequent.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Refine your search to consider 5 of the Best Boutique Hotels in Auckland or the 5 Best Family Hotels in Auckland.
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay on Waiheke Island.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the North Island.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Auckland
Best Hotels in Auckland
Naumi Hotel Auckland Airport Auckland (Māngere) 193 rooms from £80Families - Spacious suites, child-sized golf clubs and kid-friendly food make this a fun family choiceShort break - A funky airport hotel for a short stay in Auckland at the beginning or end of your tripSwimming Pool - There's nothing like a refreshing dip in the outdoor pool before or after a flight!Restaurant - Enjoy breakfast, lunch, dinner or a coffee at trendy Paksa Restaurant.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Park Hotel Auckland 60 rooms from £80No restaurant - Rooms come with kitchenettes, and there are a plethora of great restaurants nearbyFamily Suites - Two-bedroom Fantail suites are ideal for friends or families travelling togetherWalking distance restaurants - Savour a fantastic array of cuisine in some of Auckland's trendiest restaurantsCity Style - With up-to-the-minute technology and chic contemporary design
The Convent Hotel Auckland (Grey Lynn) 22 rooms from £88Local exploring - Brilliant for an off-the-beaten-track exploration of Auckland's creative neighbourhoods, filled with shops & brunch spotsDesigner Shopping - Explore the artsy boutiques of Grey Lynn, Ponsonby & K-Road, or the designer shops of Lower Queen StreetClose to nightlife - 10 minutes walk from K-Road, famed for its bars, clubs, pubs, karaoke & gay clubsGroups - Book the two-bedroom Sacristy or Mother Superior for a fabulous group tripRecommended by - Tablet
An eclectic boutique hotel housed in a former convent in the artsy Grey Lynn neighbourhood. Expect exposed brick walls, big cosy beds and retro furnishings in 22 rooms & suites — some with space for families or groups, kitchenettes & private terraces. The gourmet Ada Restaurant is superb. Very hip. See More
M Social Auckland Auckland 190 rooms from £115City Style - With high-end tech, contemporary design, and exemplary service this is a chic city stayFamilies - Pick a Tribe Room for interconnecting double and twin rooms - perfect for familiesFoodies - Beast & Butterflies prides itself on creating delicious Pacific-inspired fareRestaurant - Beast & Butterflies Restaurant specialises in dishes highlighting the exotic flavours of the Pacific Rim
A slick hotel in an ideal position on Auckland's vibrant waterfront. Light rooms feature floor-to-ceiling windows with ocean views, some have in-room baths and there's all the high-tech gadgets you'd expect. The acclaimed restaurant serves creative dishes and the bar some punchy drinks. See More
Great Ponsonby Art Hotel Auckland (Ponsonby) 11 rooms from £121Village - Set in Ponsonby urban village, one of Auckland's oldest districtsHideaway - A tranquil, intimate choice for a relaxing Auckland experienceHistoric - A renovated 1898 wooden villa with heaps of charmGreat walks - Stroll to local beaches and explore funky Ponsonby on foot
Hotel DeBrett Auckland 25 rooms from £130Restaurant - DeBretts Kitchen serves fresh, seasonal fare in a striking yet relaxed setting. Don't miss High Tea!Families - Families are well catered for,with Deluxe and Loft Suites sleeping up to four guestsCity Style - The fusion of retro and Art Deco pieces creates a fresh, fun feelSights nearby - It's just a short walk to Viaduct Harbour and Sky TowerRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Cordis Auckland Auckland 411 rooms from £135Restaurant - Eight Restaurant offers an interactive dining experience with eight kitchens offering distinct international cuisinesLocal exploring - Close to Auckland's boutiques, galleries and museums. The ideal base for exploring the city.Bar - Our Land Is Alive celebrates New Zealand's best produce with signature cocktails and bitesSpa - The Chuan Spa offers a wide range of spoiling treatments
Andelin Guest House Auckland (Devonport) 5 rooms from £106Local exploring - Find plenty to do in the area from beaches to charming restaurants, plus Auckland Ferry Terminal is just minutes awayGreat walks - Spend a lazy afternoon strolling through Mt Cambria Reserve, stopping for a picnicSights nearby - Hop on the ferry for the 10 minute journey into central AucklandFull of character
A charming boutique guesthouse offering just five rooms in the tranquil seaside village of Devonport, minutes from Auckland. Airy rooms are beautifully styled with large contemporary bathrooms, crisp white linen and photography hung on the walls. A quiet spot yet well-positioned to explore the city. See More
Fable Auckland Auckland 79 rooms from £140City Style - An elegant grand dame of a property right in the heart of the cityGreat walks - Climb One Tree Hill for panoramic views, or hike along the coastal path beyond the city limitsRestaurant - Cooke’s Restaurant & Bar serves delicious gourmet cuisine using local ingredientsRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Rydges Auckland Auckland (Kingston Street) 267 rooms from £148Conference facilities - Multiple conference and event spaces for meetings, product launches or weddingsRestaurant - The CUT Restaurant & Bar specialises in modern New Zealand cuisinePrivate dining room - The Rimu Room seats up to 20 guestsSights nearby - Close to the Museum of Transport and Technology
A minimalist urban hotel in Auckland's CBD, two minutes from the SkyCity Casino. With light spacious rooms in muted tones and views across the city or harbour, this is a good business or holiday choice. Facilities include a restaurant, gym and rooftop space with cocktail bar. See More
Pullman Auckland Auckland 340 rooms from £150City Style - Set in one of Auckland's most prestigious districts, shopping, nightlife and fine dining are on your doorstepTotal relaxation - An array of spa & wellness treatments in partnership with VOYA allow for indulgent relaxationSights nearby - As well as the city's museums and galleries, Auckland's bay area and islands offer a range of things to doSeaviews - The hotel itself offers some of the city's most dramatic and indulgent sea-views and scapes
Situated between the elegant Albert Park and the shoreline in Auckland's world famous Waitemata Harbour, the Pullman Auckland offers dramatic views in contemporary comfort complete with spa, brasserie inspired restraunt and 25m pool. The perfect luxury base for travellers, business or pleasure. See More
The Hotel Britomart Auckland (Britomart) 99 rooms from £155Foodies - Congregate at the Chef's Table for delectable gourmet fare paired with local winesEco - New Zealand's first Five-Green-Star build, with impressive eco-credentialsRestaurant - Kingi specialises in fresh seafood and seasonal produceCity Style - A soulful contemporary property showcasing NZ designRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A fabulous design hotel with impressive eco-credentials in the up-and-coming Britomart area. Foodies, romantics and lovers of great interiors will delight in this soulful spot. Contemporary suites boast epic views, there's chic private dining and hip Kingi Restaurant is a gem. See More
Sofitel Auckland Viaduct Harbour Auckland 157 rooms from £157Spa - The Sofitel Spa is a highlight, with restorative and rejuvenating treatmentsRestaurant - La Marée fuses French flavours with top New Zealand produceWatersports - Kayaking, sailing and boat trips are moments awayBar - Sip signature cocktails at the Champagne Bar
SO/Auckland Auckland 130 rooms from £172Local exploring - Set right in the heart of Auckland with shops, restaurants and major sights nearbyCity Style - Join the hip crowd at the rooftop bar and enjoy the fashion-inspired designRestaurant - Harbour Society offers high-end cuisine focusing on sustainablity under the expert eye of Chef Marty KindleysidesSpa - SO/Spa offers a wide range of treatments including Himalayan Detox therapies, urban detox facials...
SKYCITY Grand Hotel Auckland Auckland 312 rooms from £194Restaurant - 14 cafés, bars & restaurants include The Grill, MASU and Gusto at the GrandSwimming Pool - The hotel boasts a 25-metre lap pool, as well as a sauna & spa poolSpa - Enjoy rejuvenating treatments at East Day SpaSailing - Can be booked nearby.
Franklin 38 Auckland (Ponsonby) 4 rooms from £230Local exploring - Well positioned in the upmarket area of Ponsonby offering easy access to the city's main attractionsRomantic Break - Chic & spacious suites are ideal for couples' tripsLocal markets - The Ponsonby area is filled with trendy shops and eateries, best explored on footSurfing - For surfers, Piha Beach offers black sand and wild surf
A chic boutique guesthouse set in the smart area of Ponsonby. Offering four spacious suites decorated in monochrome hues with modern art and luxurious bathrooms. Indulgent breakfasts are served in the dining room and Ponsonby's restaurants and cafés are just a stroll away. See More
Hotel Fitzroy by Fable Auckland (Grey Lynn) 10 rooms from £240Romantic Break - Book a Superior Suite & unwind in the original house with big breakfasts, masages and complimentary wine & canapésCity Style - A chic city pad with just ten boutique rooms & suites with king-sized beds & contemporary interiorsGreat walks - Take a guided walking tour of Auckland's coolest neighbourhood with Auckland Walking Tours or Walk Ponsonby with LouiseSights nearby - Go shopping in trendy Ponsonby, which also has hip bars & eateries
Curated by the acclaimed Fable group, this sumptuous boutique hotel offers ten exquisite suites in a heritage manor & modern annexe. A top spot for well-heeled couples or friends eager to enjoy gourmet breakfasts & whisky nightcaps in the art-filled library. Ideal for exploring hip Ponsonby. See More
Hilton Auckland Auckland (147 QUAY STREET) 165 rooms from £286Restaurant - FISH showcases New Zealand's fresh and fabulous seafood in a swish settingSwimming Pool - The outdoor swimming pool has impressive harbour viewsSights nearby - The Cloud convention center, New Zealand Maritime Museum, and downtown Auckland are within a 10-minute walkViews - Gorgeous views of Auckland Harbour & the city
Warblers Retreat Auckland 3 rooms from £345Romantic Break - Offering complete seclusion, outdoor baths and terraces, this is the perfect romantic escapeWeddings - A beautiful spot for an intimate wedding, planned with the help of celebrant BarbCountry Escape - An eco-lodge surrounded by beautiful and luscious native bushBarefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.
A small (yet perfectly formed) eco-lodge set in native rainforest only 30 minutes from Auckland. Offering just three rooms with outdoor baths and chic contemporary design, this is a romantic nature lovers' dream. There's also a saltwater pool, fire pit and tranquil terraces for birdwatching. See More
Latitude 37 Auckland from £493Families - Multiple bedrooms and well-equipped kitchens make this an appealing family or group holiday choiceCity Style - Stylish and modern, this is a good base for longer trips to the city on businessSailing - Auckland is a wonderful place for both experienced sailors and keen beginners to enjoy a day out on the waterGreat walks - Stroll or run through Viaduct Harbour to the CBD to get a sense of Auckland's bustling waterfront
Stamford Plaza Auckland Auckland 286 rooms from £560Walking distance restaurants - A central city location, close to theatres and restaurantsSailing - Boat trips and sailing classes can be organised at the harbour - speak to the hotel teamSights nearby - Auckland boasts museums and theatres galore - catch a show if you can!Restaurant - The four onsite restaurants serve Thai, Japanese and European fare
A luxurious hotel in the centre of Auckland offering a range of modern rooms and suites, with a fitness centre, indoor pool and hot tub. Ideal for exploring the city as a couple or family, or for a business trip. The four restaurants are excellent and the conference facilities extensive. See More