Search the best hotels in Matakana
A beautiful spot just an hour's drive north of Auckland, the little town of Matakana has gained international acclaim for its fabulous wine. Travellers can also expect excellent locally grown produce, outdoorsy activities and the picturesque scenery for which New Zealand has become famous. Accommodation options range from simple B&Bs to a luxurious lodge set on its own vineyard. Intimate and striking, the best places to stay in Matakana promise a peaceful sense of seclusion, perfect for a laid-back weekend as a couple or with friends.
Spend your days unwinding on your private terrace with views of the Pacific Ocean, feasting on fresh fare from the weekly Matakana Farmers' Market, or following the Matakana Wine Coast trail, with tours and tastings available at world-class wineries. Active visitors can stroll, cycle or horse ride between verdant fields and forests, or play tennis and golf. Birdwatchers will be in their element, and guided walks come highly recommended if you're looking to learn about the region's endemic wildlife. Head to the coast for surfing, snorkelling, diving and sailing, or day trips to nearby Kawau Island. Brimming with cafés and galleries, the town of Matakana is also well worth a wander.
Popular with weekend visitors from Auckland, the best places to stay in Matakana fill up fast. Book your trip well in advance!
The Best Places to Stay in Matakana
For a Cosy B&B
- Sugarloaf Lodge has two airy suites close to Matakana town, perfect for relaxed couples looking to explore the wine country. Breakfast baskets are provided each morning, along with wine and hors d'oeuvres in the evenings. A lovely, adults-only base.
- Waimahu Retreat is a charming boutique hideaway with just two bedrooms. Book both if travelling as a family or with friends, and enjoy generous breakfasts with sea views from the terrace. A tranquil and inviting retreat, perfect for birdwatchers and keen walkers. Near Scandrett Regional Park.
For Wine Lovers
- Takatu Lodge & Vineyard offers four spacious suites on a working vineyard set on the Tāwharanui Peninsula, just a few minutes' drive from Matakana. Foodies and wine lovers will adore tours and tastings at the vineyard, as well as delectable cuisine using produce from the lodge's own gardens. A restful luxury choice.
For Families or Groups
- Plume Villas offers 12 chic one-, two- and three-bedroom villas with comfortable contemporary interiors. Villas come with kitchens, sitting rooms and private decks, whilst shared onsite facilities include a swimming pool, restaurant, café, bar & cellar door. Bring the kids or travel with friends & discover Matakana's many attractions.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Auckland Airport and travel north to Matakana by bus or taxi. The drive should take an hour.
- The North Island is famously wonderful for a road trip, and Auckland makes an excellent starting point! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer for the best weather, with temperatures peaking at around 23°C between December and April. For a quieter trip and great deals, look at May or October-November, though these months will be cooler and showers more frequent.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay on Kawau Island.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the North Island.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Matakana
Best Hotels in Matakana
Sugarloaf Lodge Matakana (1068 Leigh Rd) from £127Great walks - Follow the 5km walkway from Matakana to Omaha, or walk from Omaha to Tawharanui at low tideLocal markets - Visit Matakana Farmers Market to pick up top-notch fresh produce each SaturdayBirdwatching - Spot pheasant, duck, tui, plover, kingfisher and heron, amongst other birdsViews - Across the wine country and out to the Hauraki Gulf
Eco-friendly boutique B&B set in five acres with range of wild birds, cattle, sheep and trees. Two suites in a self-contained building. Close to wineries, walks and Matakana town. Glorious outdoor seating area with views to the Hauraki Gulf. See More
Woodhouse Lodge Matakana 18 rooms from £190Country Escape - Set on 100 acres of private land on the Kourawhero Estate, this is a top spot for adventurers or those eager to unwindRomantic Break - Private villas with big bathtubs for two make this a wonderfully romantic spotKayaking - Kayaking and boat trips with Matakana River Tours are brilliant for active nature enthusiastsLocal markets - Held every Saturday morning, the Matakana Farmers' Market showcases top-notch local produce
This luxury lodge is situated an hour north of Auckland on the Matakana Coast. Warm, stylish guest suites feel like a home away from home, complete with a spa bath where you can soak in the views. Whether you want to explore vineyards or horseride on the beach, this chic hotel has it all. See More
Plume Villas Matakana 20 rooms from £202Families - Two-bedroom Kingfisher Suites and the three-bedroom Kiwi Suite are great for families or groupsFoodies - Combine flavoursome organic dishes with world-class Matakana wines at Plume RestaurantRestaurant - Expect gourmet fare at Plume Restaurant, whilst Plume Café is great for breakfast or coffeeGreat walks - Follow hiking trails in superb regional parks: Mahurangi, Scandrett and Tawharanui
A collection of 12 chic one-, two- and three-bedroom villas near Matakana village. Contemporary and comfortable, villas have kitchens, sitting rooms & private decks. There's a great restaurant, café, bar & cellar door onsite. Kids will love the swimming pool. For foodies, friends & families. See More
Waimahu Retreat Matakana 2 rooms from £244Boutique - A small property with an eclectic mix of contemporary design mixed with antiques and artwork from the hosts' travelsHideaway - A place to come and unwind, set in a secluded spot with views of the sea, islands and surrounding countrysideShort break - Located just an hour from Auckland, this is the perfect spot for a weekend getawayBirdwatching - Spot a number of species such as Tuis, Kereru, Pukekos, Fantails and Herons from the garden itself
A chic little boutique positioned just an hour from Auckland in spectacular countryside and overlooking the ocean. The two rooms are smart and contemporary with beautiful bathrooms and french doors leading out into the garden. Breakfasts are an indulgent affair and the hosts are utterly charming. See More
Takatu Lodge & Vineyard Matakana (RD6) 4 rooms from £346Foodies - Savour gourmet dishes using produce from the Matakana area & ingredients from the lodge's gardens, with Takatu's own wineDiving - Goat Island Marine Reserve offers striking diving for beginners and experienced underwater explorersRestaurant - Big cooked breakfasts and daily menus of specials matched with Takatu wines are a real treatLocal markets - Matakana Farmers’ Market & Country Park Market are fantastic
Charming lodge built with natural wood, stone and marble set in the heart of a working vineyard. Suites have private outdoor decks, floor-to-ceiling windows, open log fires and comfy beds. Eco-friendly and close to great walks, wineries and local markets. A relaxing country escape. See More