Search the best hotels in Evora
Évora is obscenely rich in historic architecture. This 'museum city's' golden age was the 15th Century - when it was the seat of the kings of Portugal - but there are in fact much older treasures, dating from Roman times, and before. As you negotiate the narrow lanes within 14th Century walls ,(where you'll find some of the the best places to stay in Évora), you'll be frequently surprised and rewarded with striking architecture.
Évora's position, on the Alto Alentejo plains, has appealed to numerous settlers. The Celts, Romans, Visigoths and Moors all built on this spot before the Portuguese eventually took control. The Romans left the most obvious traces with their grand temple, baths, and walls, all of which now sit impressively incongruously amongst glorious Gothic cathedrals and gorgeous Portuguese palaces. The excavated 2,000-year-old Roman baths are actually inside today's Town Hall.
Évora's aqueduct is one of its highlights. Completed in the 1530s, it seems far more trouble was taken in its construction than it could be worth - for a municipal building job, this is beautiful. You can walk about 8kms along its route to the neighbourhood of Rua do Cano: a charming, village-y place, with its houses, shops and cafes built right into the aqueduct's arches.
In Évora even the public spaces are steeped in history. The picturesque main square, the Praca do Giraldo, has seen some pretty bloody action its time, especially during the Inquisition.
Évora isn't just a museum city though, it's very much a living city, and the presence of the university means it's also a youthful place. Cafes bustle at all hours, and there's plenty of hearty Alentejan cooking on the menus.
What Not To Miss
- Évora's Bone Chapel, built in the 17th Century, is an weirdly unmissable sight - made from the skeletons of over five thousand people. Either head off on a tour to learn about its rich history or go there with a small group to truly take in the eerie atmosphere.
- Stroll around the historic Templo Romano de Évora to marvel at its large marble column bases and granite structures. A breathtaking spot.
- Make sure you find the time to visit the Almendres Megalithic Complex, located about nine kilometres outside of town. Hire a guide if you want to make the most out of the site and be sure to remember your camera!
- Spend a few hours wandering around the Museu de Évora, home to a fascinating collection of artwork spanning many centuries and a diverse range of styles.
Don't forget that peak season is busy here, so if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Evora in July or August, don't leave it till the last minute. You may well be disappointed!
For designer chic
- M'Ar de AR Aqueduto is a five star design hotel and spa right in the centre of Évora. As well as all the mod. cons., here you'll find modern elegance throughout, care of Phillipe Starke, as well as an excellent restaurant and spa. With prices starting from less than £100 per night, it's easily one of the best places to stay in Évora if you're looking for value for money.
- Pousada de Loios is a luxurious spot right in the centre of town. Featuring elegant, traditional accommodation with opulent furnishings and creamy bedding, there's also a wonderful restaurant and lovely gardens in which to unwind with a good book.
Just out of town
- For something more rustic, consider Imani Country House, a comfortably converted farmhouse set within hectares of beautiful gardens about half an hour west of Evora. Seven ecologically friendly, and totally sumptuous room offer plenty of privacy and room for relaxation.
- Convento Do Espinheiro is a lovely 5*, boasting contemporary classic accommodation with private balconies offering splendid views of the area. What's more, there are all the mod. cons. necessary to make sure you have a truly wonderful stay! And you're just 4km from the centre of town.
- Villa Extramuros is an uber-designer spot offering whitewashed accommodation brimming with modern art. This minimalist property boasts lovely views of the area as well as serving up splendid Mediterranean cuisine. A lovely spot about 20km north of Evora.
For An Apartment or Villa
- If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- The weather is nicest during the summer months, with the average temperature climbing to 23°C in July and August. Be warned though that this is peak season, so if you want to avoid the crowds then perhaps visiting in May, September or October is your best bet.
- International guests can fly into Lisbon Airport, located 132 km away from Évora and served by direct flights from most London airports as well as from Edinburgh and Dublin.
- From here, either take the bus or hop on the train - with four running daily to to Évora.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Évora.
- Expand your search to include all our recommendations in the Alentejo.
- Or, contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Evora
Best Hotels in Evora
Tivoli Evora Ecoresort Evora 56 rooms from £73Eco break - A sustainable resort that focuses on being both ecological and giving back to the local communityLocal exploring - Set just a few miles from Évora, a World Heritage City, there's plenty to see locallySpa - The Tivoli Spa offers treatments rooms, indoor pool, sauna, Turkish Baths, Chromatherapy....Sights nearby - Visit the Gothic 12th century Cathedral of Évora
A luxury eco-hotel occupying a secluded and picturesque spot near historic Évora. Smart contemporary suites have a chic white-on-white style offset by cork features (it is locally produced). Featuring both a spa and excellent Portuguese restaurant this is the ideal spot to come and unwind. See More
Albergaria do Calvario Evora (Évora) 22 rooms from £85Local exploring - Sitting within the ancient city walls, this hotel is well-placed for exploring the local sights of this historic cityHideaway - Nestled on a quiet street, and with attentive, discreet hosts, this makes a great, relaxing hideaway spotRomantic Break - The cosy rooms, excellent service and charming location make this hotel a hit with couplesSights nearby - Visit nearby Monsaraz, a tiny, fairytale, walled village with a delightful medieval atmosphere
A boutique, five-star hotel in the historic city of Évora. The individually styled rooms are modern, with wood and tile accents that nod to the region's style. The more spacious suites offer a private balcony and ample living space. Enjoy an organic breakfast on the terrace; a delightful city break. See More
M'Ar de AR Aqueduto Evora 64 rooms from £995* Luxury - Very high service standards.City StyleSights nearby - Situated in the centre of UNESCO heritage city EvoraSpa
A Five Star design hotel and spa in the centre of Evora. Phillipe Starke elements, dome ceilings, chrome bedrooms and suites, lots of natural light, and huge bathrooms. Extensive meeting rooms and conference facilities. A luxurious spa spot suited to any city or business traveller. See More
Imani Country House Guadalupe, Alentejo 7 rooms from £117Garden - Set in two hectares of gardens.Eco - Everything is green.Swimming Pool - 2 swimming pools.Country EscapeRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Pousada de Loios Evora 39 rooms from £125Romantic BreakLuxuryRomantic - Good for couples.Sights nearby - Gothic Cathedral of Évora and the Temple of Diana.
A wonderfully luxurious old mansion in the town centre. Romantic opulent rooms and suites have high ceilings, golden decorations, stone floors, creamy bedding and big bath tubs. Excellent restaurant serving traditional thoroughfare, gardens and swimming pool. A great choice for couples. See More
Convento do Espinheiro Evora 92 rooms from £154Spa breaks5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Romantic BreakFoodies
A beautiful Five Star hotel with state of the art facilities. Contemporary classic rooms and suites with private balconies and all the mod cons. Lovely terraces with views, top of the range spa, kids club, and excellent restaurant. A holiday spot for the luxury traveller. See More