Search the best hotels in Addo
The third largest game reserve in South Africa, Addo Elephant National Park is famed for the huge elephant herds which gather at its watering holes, as well as for sightings of the ‘Big Five’. Addo’s popularity has ensured that accommodation options are wide-ranging and cater to an array of budgets, offering everything from simple tented camps to luxurious lodges with private plunge pools. Whether you’re dreaming of a honeymoon hideaway or a conservation-focused family escape, our pick of the best places to stay in Addo promises a warm South African welcome in a picturesque setting.
Just an hour’s drive from Port Elizabeth, Addo’s main attraction is the enormous National Park itself, founded in 1931 to protect the area’s remaining elephants. Expanded numerous times since, the Park is now home to lions, leopards, rhinos, elephants and Cape buffalo — widely referred to as the ‘Big Five’ — as well as countless other fascinating creatures. Whether you choose to marvel at Addo’s impressive flora and fauna from a 4x4, on horseback or on foot, knowledgable guides are poised to help you discover and understand the region’s many natural wonders through friendly and engaging tours. Some of our favourite hotels offer river cruises, whilst others pride themselves on having created child-focused game drives and outdoor activities, ensuring that the whole family gets the most out of each safari adventure.
Keen golfers can play a round or two in the area, and certain lodges offer archery, zip-lining and self-driving excursions. Head further afield to thriving Port Elizabeth, on the coast, for fabulous food, heritage architecture and great shopping, or take a day trip to Algoa Bay, where you can spot White Sharks and Southern Right Whales — the rarest whales in the world.
Rise early for morning game drives, unwind by the pool and spot birds flitting overhead from the privacy of your terrace, before dining on delicious homegrown fare under the stars each evening. Most of the best places to stay in Addo have swimming pools, some boast spas, and all offer spell-binding views over the South African countryside, encouraging you to unwind in total tranquility. This is a charming destination, ideal for both families and couples eager to retreat from the outside world and admire nature at its most wild and striking!
The best places to stay in Addo
- Bydand B&B offers five simple, contemporary rooms. The garden playground, swimming pool and games are sure to be a hit with the kids, whilst there are plenty of activities — from sailing to safaris — to do together in the area. A great value family choice.
- Chrislin African Lodge is a laid-back pick for a fun, family stay. Thatched huts are spacious, and many offer private balconies and gorgeous views. The children’s play area and swimming pool are perfect for unwinding, and the in-house tour company — Crisscross Adventures — offers great day trips. A rustic and relaxed family base with a restaurant serving hearty South African fare.
- Elephant House is a beautiful family-run hotel with eight rooms in the main farmhouse and six Cape-style cottages scattered around the grounds. Think antiques, quirky artwork and stacks of character, as well as fab farm-to-table food and two lovely swimming pools. Family Cottages sleep 4, whilst the Stable Cottages are an intimate couples’ retreat. With horse riding, zip-lining, golf, 4x4 safaris and more, there’s something here for everyone. A warm, welcoming stay.
- River Bend Lodge is an elegant Victorian homestead in Addo National Park. The thoughtfully-appointed rooms and cottage suites brim with classic charm, and many offer interconnecting rooms. Relax at the small onsite spa and spend days birdwatching or elephant-spotting from the terrace. Guides are great with children, making game drives exciting and accessible. An intimate family hotel in a top location.
- Hlosi Game Lodge is a super-stylish hideaway with both lavish suites and smart tented accommodation, including spacious family options. Enjoy the outdoor pool, game drives, river cruises and the special Cubs on Safari programme for little ones. Family-focused luxury!
For Nature Lovers
- Koedoeskop Private Mountain Reserve prides itself on stepping beyond 4x4 safaris and specialising in horse-riding, mountain biking, tracking, botany trails and hiking, encouraging guests to delve deeper into this striking region. This is also a great family choice, with four rustic-chic bedrooms offering the option of adding single beds, and specific nature-focused activities for children. A fantastic, family-run hotel focused on exploring.
- Kuzuko Lodge offers 24 hillside chalets (some of which have space for the whole family) with dramatic views. The lodge boasts a children’s play area, an infinity pool and a wellness centre, but the standout here is the focus on conservation and community. Food is grown by local farmers or hotel staff and their families, and there’s a big effort to create jobs and protect wildlife. An excellent choice for a fun, educational experience.
- Woodbury Lodge is an appealingly secluded escape in the Amakhala Game Reserve, with great Bushman’s River valley views. Six stone-and-thatch cottages ensure a tranquil, intimate stay. Children will love the outdoor pool, river cruises and game drives. The rural location means you can expect to see plenty of wildlife, including the famed Big Five.
For a spa
- Woodall Country House & Spa is a charming, family-run hotel in a 20th century farmhouse on a 65-acre citrus farm. Rooms and suites boast four-poster beds and one Family Suite comes with a private pool. Whilst this is a great choice for foodies and wine lovers, the big standout here is The Citrus Spa. Try the signature African Wood Massage or Citrus Fusion Massage for total bliss.
- Shamwari Bayethe offers a sumptuous five-star stay, with contemporary tented bedrooms and large bathrooms boasting free-standing baths. Pick this place for beautiful views, private pools, gourmet fare and an indulgent open-air spa. The Shamwari Signature Treatment promises a rejuvenating 2.5 hour experience. A romantic honeymoon choice.
For a tented safari stay
- Woodbury Tented Camp is the perfect place to get back to nature. Large canvas tents house big beds and en-suite bathrooms. Chill out by the pool, head off on horseback, birdwatch from your terrace and admire impressive views of Bushman’s River. A great-value pick for cool campers.
- Quartermain’s 1920s Safari Camp offers an amazing chance to step back in time, through a colonial-style tented experience. Think cosy camp beds, wooden trunks and cooking on a campfire under the stars. A romantic adventure!
- Hillsnek Safari Camp promises an appealingly intimate stay, with just four luxurious tented bedrooms and a comfortable family-friendly feel. There’s a small outdoor pool, lovely communal areas and beautiful views. A chic, enchanting choice.
- Gorah Elephant Camp is an exclusive tented camp set around a historic manor house in Addo National Park. The 11 canvas-topped suites are opulent and sophisticated, influenced by the traditions of the safaris of the 1900s. Dining in the imposing manor house is a real event, with gourmet meals overlooking the watering hole and the vast plains beyond. Marvellous tented luxury.
- Hitgeheim Country Lodge & Eco-Reserve features stylish thatched chalets with private terraces — some have plunge pools — and stunning views over the orange groves and the countryside beyond. There is an adults-only wing, as well as top-notch Family Suites in another part of the hotel. Enjoy gourmet dinners and sundowners on your gorgeous terrace. A chic and sophisticated honeymoon hideaway with a commendable eco-ethos.
- Camp Figtree is a small, solar-powered sanctuary, offering spell-binding views from mountaintop rooms, suites and luxury tents. The decor is classic and luxurious, with enormous bathrooms and a wonderful outdoor pool. The African Country-style Karoo food is a real highlight, as is the impressive wine cellar.
For an apartment or villa
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly from Cape Town or Johannesburg to Port Elizabeth International Airport. Addo is around 1 hour north-east of Port Elizabeth. Most hotels will be happy to arrange an airport pick up with a reliable driver, which is especially helpful if you’re staying somewhere remote.
- Alternatively, contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Addo is a great year-round destination, with very little rain. Come between December and March for the warmest weather (temperatures average around 24°C). This is peak season so do book well in advance to avoid missing out!
- If you are especially keen to see certain animals whilst on safari, speak to your hotel about migratory patterns and the best months to travel.
Still not sure?
Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Port Elizabeth.
Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of all the best places to stay in the Eastern Cape.
Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Addo
Best Hotels in Addo
Bydand B&B Addo 5 rooms from £68Families - A great value stay for all the familySights nearby - Pay a visit to the nearby Daniell Cheetah Breeding FarmSailing - Sundays River FerrySwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Contemporary stay within easy reach of some of Addo's most popular attractions. This family and budget-friendly guesthouse provides guests with their choice of sumptuous buffet and full English breakfast. There's an inviting pool and flexible accommodation, with rooms that include private terraces. See More
Chrislin African Lodge Addo 18 rooms from £84Value chic - Excellent value family staySwimming Pool - Outdoor poolViews - Great views from hotel
Hitgeheim Country Lodge & Eco-Reserve Addo 16 rooms from £104Eco break - Commendable eco and conservation principles - ideal for the enviromentally conscious travellerKayaking - Along the nearby Sundays River, just 1 km awayGreat walks - Expertly led bush walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Traditional African style huts, with thatched roofs, concealing luxurious interiors and quirky bathrooms. Each includes its own private sit out from which to watch the birds and wildlife pass by. There's a pool, excellent safari opportunities, as well as a strong environmental ethos. See More
Elephant House Addo 8 rooms from £135Families - Family suites surrounded by pristine natureSights nearby - Nomathamsanqa Township is within easy reachBirdwatching - Excellent birdwatching in the areaSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
This colonial style lodge, boasting traditional thatched roof and surrounded by the wilderness of Addo National Park, just 8km away. Beautiful rooms include exposed beams, boldly upholstered furnishings and antique Persian rugs. Excellent cuisine and romantic rooms plus daily safaris. See More
Koedoeskop Private Mountain Reserve Addo (Rietvlei Road,) 6 rooms from £135Families - Great value, superb familiy stay with a long list of activitiesGreat walks - Expertly led guided bush walksBirdwatching - Excellent bird spottingSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
A very well priced family stay. There is something for everyone here, wildlife safaris, spa treatments, cycling, and even yoga classes - all ages will love. A hearty breakfast is included, to set you up for a day spent exploring. Excellently located for visits to Addo Elephant Park. See More
Woodall Country House & Spa Addo 11 rooms from £178Total relaxation - Luxurious suites, a rural location, plus spa treatments - total blissKayaking - Cruise down Sundays RIverSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolFour poster beds - For romantics.
This intimate lodge, within easy reach of the wilderness of Addo Elephant Park, provides a pampering backdrop during your stay in the Eastern Cape. Fine dining, a long list of spa treatments, lavish suites and modern bathrooms: it all makes for a very romantic stay. Outdoor activities abound. See More
Camp Figtree Addo 6 rooms from £208Value chic - A very luxurious, excellent value lodgeGreat walks - Guided safari walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolFull of character
Excellent value luxurious lodge this seven bedroom stay provides guests with very comfortable rooms: four-poster beds and Victorian style bathrooms with clawfoot tubs and monochrome tiles. There's an inviting pool, fine dining, and guests can choose between 4x4, walking, and elephant safaris. See More
Riverbend Lodge Addo 6105 9 rooms from £169Birdwatching - Due to the unique climatic area and 5 different biomes, River Bend is home to over 300 bird speciesBack to Nature - In lush colourful gardens this Victorian lodge is a refreshing way to experience African wildlifeGreat walks - Beautiful hiking and biking trails around the areaTraditional - Furnished in an old-fasioned styleRecommended by - I Escape
A lovely Victorian homestead set within Addo Elephant Park. The eight individual suites are elegant yet homely with antiques, beautiful bathrooms and fabulous views. Spend days on exhilarating game drives before returning to feast on top-notch gourmet cuisine and unwind in the indulgent spa. See More
Woodbury Tented Camp Addo 10 rooms from £274Back to Nature - True "out of Africa" experience in this tented campRestrictions on children - Children over 6 are welcomedGreat walks - Guided bush walksBirdwatching - Excellent birding
This all-inclusive camp provides excellent value for families. With all meals, plus two game drives included in the rate, it's a very inviting option. Stylish tents provide every creature comfort, whilst still feeling like you're camping. There's a pool, a bar, and unspoilt views of Bushmans River. See More
Kuzuko Lodge Addo (EASTERN CAPE) 24 rooms from £313Families - Under 12s stay free - so it's a great family stayFishing - Fly fishing equipment is availableGreat walks - Excellent guided safari walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Set within the rugged surrounds of Addo Elephant National Park overlooked by the Zuurberg Mountains. There is a long list of outdoor activities, so it's very popular with families and al fresco spa treatments means adults can relax too! Candle-lit dining, luxury rooms - it's a popular stay. See More
Quartermain's 1920's Safari Camp Addo 10 rooms from £346Back to Nature - A true camping experience - back to nature and in time!Restrictions on children - Children above the age of 12 are welcomeFishing - Fishing on the nearby Boesmans RiverFull of character
The real safari experience. This 1920s style camp provides an authentic safari experience. Open tents are designed in a colonial style - camp beds with rustic trunks. Cooking is done on an open fire under the stars. A true adventure, yet very romantic, and children will love! One of a kind. See More
Woodbury Lodge Addo 10 rooms from £392Back to Nature - All inclusive accommodation in the middle of the African bushRestrictions on children - Children above the age of 6 are welcomeBirdwatching - Excellent birding opportunitiesGreat walks - Guided nature walks
Well priced, all-inclusive lodge accommodation providing luxurious interiors and excellent value. Each of its thatched cottages offers an authentic African stay amidst the wilderness with the benefit of four-poster beds, private terraces, and enormous baths. Twice daily safaris should not be missed. See More
Hillsnek Safari Camp Addo 4 rooms from £535Back to Nature - Luxurious camping in the midst of the African bushBirdwatching - Guided birding excursionsSailing - Private boat tripsGreat walks - Guided bush walks
With just four bedrooms, this lodge is a very intimate experience. With tailored family accommodation, it's a great stay for all ages. Each room and tent provides luxurious interiors, depending on your preference. Make friends with your four-legged neighbours on a safari drive! See More
Hlosi Game Lodge Addo 3 rooms from £536Families - Family accommodation in a wild locationFishing - Gear available at the hotelGreat walks - Guided bush walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Charming property providing both tented and lodge accommodation. Children are well looked after with special kids safaris and a children's club, plus tailored menus and family suites. Every room boasts fabulous views, choose between four posters and lavish tents. All include spoiling bathrooms. See More
Gorah Elephant Camp Addo 11 rooms from £731Back to Nature - An exclusive lodge set in the middle of Addo Elephant National ParkBirdwatching - There are hundreds of bird species to be spottedRestrictions on children - Children above the age of ten are welcomeKayaking - Along The Sunday’s River
Five-star stay amidst the famed Addo Elephant National Park. Relax in the lavish setting of your colonial-style tent to the sound of the plains. Candle-lit dining is the height of luxury - every creature comfort is taken care of. There's an inviting pool (the guest's own watering hole) to unwind. See More
Shamwari Bayethe Addo 12 rooms from £1287Romantic Break - An ultimate luxury stay with private pools, spa treatments, and al fresco diningGreat walks - Guided bush walks led by expert trackersRestrictions on children - Children above the age of 12 are welcomeKayaking - Bushman's River
An ultimate five-star stay. These luxurious suites boast private pools, opulent interiors, enormous bathrooms and epic views. There is an open-air spa, offering traditional treatments, as well as a gourmet menu and al fresco dining. Wildlife is on your doorstep at this all-inclusive stay. See More