Search the best hotels in Eastern Cape
About Eastern Cape
Where the Garden Route ends, and the Wild and Sunshine Coast begins, South Africa’s Eastern Cape is lesser-known than its Western counterpart. Travellers here are rewarded with deserted beaches, safari, and laid back cities. From little Port Elizabeth and characterful East London, every surfer’s favourite hangout, Jeffreys Bay, to the rugged Wild Coast hamlets of Coffee Bay, Chintsa, and Storms River, the Eastern Cape has a plethora of places to visit. Few travellers travel to its capital, Bhisho, a small, inland, administrative centre; instead, its larger neighbour, East London, with its pretty bay-front setting between the Sunshine and Wild Coast, draws a much larger crowd. Our pick of the best places to stay in the Eastern Cape combines the best in urban, safari, and coastal stays, to suit every style and budget.
Further south, the Eastern Cape’s largest city, Port Elizabeth is a melting pot of African, Malaysian, and Portuguese cultures, culminating in a flavoursome food scene – which has to be sampled to truly experience the city. Located at the fringes of the Sunshine Coast, along Algoa Bay, it must surely one of the best urban environments with such an impressive spectrum of marine life: dolphins, whale sharks, seals, and much more can be spotted. It is also just a 30-minute drive to Addo Elephant Park, home to over 600 African Elephants, as well as lions, zebras, and black rhinos.
Sprawled across 1000 kms of the Indian Ocean’s rugged coastline, town after village attracts travellers looking for a peaceful seaside escape or in search of some of South Africa’s largest waves. Jeffrey’s Bay, the host of the annual World Surf League, boasts some of the worlds best ‘super tubes’. Between June and August is when the pros descend on this otherwise languid town, but beginners are always welcome. A true ‘surf-scene’ over the years a scattering of health cafés, bars, yoga studios, and boutique shops – all accoutrements of an increasingly trendy town, have sprung up along Jeffrey’s Bay’s main seafront.
On the other end of the scale, the tiny coastal hamlets of Chintsa, Coffee Bay, and Storms River are for the traveller truly just wanting to explore the great outdoors. From white water rafting along the Chintsa River mouth, to the windswept deserted beaches of Coffee Bay, and a long list of outdoor activities, from bungee jumping to zip lining along Storms River. Take your pick! There is no shortage of ways to enjoy the Eastern Cape’s aptly named, Wild Coast.
Alternatively, If you like rambling through the wilderness of Mother Nature, then the Eastern Cape is the place for you. Mountain Zebra National Park, roughly 200 km inland from Port Elizabeth, is a truly sublime place to be, defined by long arid plains and flat-crested mountain ranges. Addo Elephant National Park is a must-see: with over 200 elephants, numerous Cape buffalo, black rhino, and rare species of birdlife, it is a treasure trove of nature with the added bonus of being one of the few places in the country that is malaria-free all-year-round.
What Not to miss
- A 30-minute drive from East London, the Groot Winterhoek Mountains and Wilderness Area, are home to baboon, bushbuck, mountain reedbuck, and much more. A great wildlife experience, within easy reach of the city.
- The Chintsa River estuary is a great spot for anglers, with a variety of kob and panfish.
- A superb wildlife experience, with some spectacular hotels nearby, Tsitsikamma National Park, close to Storms River, is a haven for bird and marine life. And for the adrenaline seeker? It can be explored by zip-line, tubing, swimming, hiking, and kayaking.
- Just a 20-minute drive from Storms River, Bloukrans River forms the border between the Western and Eastern Cape. But, the Bloukrans Bridge, is more famous for its 216 m bungee, the highest commercially operated bridge bungee in the world. Try it if you dare!
- Follow East London’s colourful Donkin Heritage Trail, passing the much-photographed, 19th-century Cora Terrace and Donkin Street Houses.
- If travelling in July, don't miss the World Surf League, when some of the world's best surfers descend upon J Bay.
- You might be in a city, but East London’s Strandloper Trail, running from Kei River to Gonubie boasts 60 km of pristine beaches, rivers, and coastal forests.
- Starting from the Storms River mouth, hike the five-day (shorter options available) Otter Trail, which follows the magnificent Garden Route coastline as far as Nature's Valley in the Tsitsikamma National Park.
- If you're a fan of hiking through wilderness, then the Eastern Cape is ideal for you. The Zebra Mountain National Park, made up of sweeping sunburnt plains in the shadow of brooding mountains, are stunning, particularly at sunset. Whereas at Addo Elephant National Park, you can find elephants, buffalo and rare species of birds.
- Traverse Coffee Bay’s Port St Johns trail, from the lush coastal forests of Silaka to the rolling hills of Mpande, across grassland, rocky shores, mangrove estuaries, nature reserves and rural villages.
- Not all about surfing, between July and December nearby Bluewater Bay, close to Jeffrey’s Bay is frequented by Southern Right and Humpback whales.
- Home to some impressive marine life, take a boat out from East London to Bird Island Marine Protected Area, comprised of Bird, Stag, and Seal Islands. Whilst there, traverse the Bushbuck Walking trail. Or venture to Cape Recife Nature Reserve, one of the best bird-watching locations in Port Elizabeth.
- If travelling in July, don't miss the World Surf League, when some of the world's best surfers descend upon J Bay.
- For followers of colonial history, towns like Graaff-Reinet and Grahamstown are quintessential South African frontier towns and have a lot to offer in terms of museums and ornate Victorian architecture. For a complete contrast, visit the traditional Xhosa villages of the Karoo.
- Mthatha, the capital of Xhosa is worth a stop as this is where you'll find the Nelson Mandela Musuem, and on the outskirts of the town lies Qunu, his birthplace.
Our collection of the best places to stay in the Eastern Cape showcase the best in budget-friendly, boutique, and all-out luxury hotels.
The best places to stay in Eastern Cape
- Rustic thatched cottages, with plenty of family-suites Lenore Guest House is one of Port Elizabeth's best value stays.
- Families will love the traditional thatched-hut style cottages at Chrislin African Lodge – almost as much as they will the inviting price tag and proximity to Addo Elephant National Park.
- You'd be hard-pressed to find such beautiful suites for this price-tag in East London. The Loerie Hide exceeds expectations!
- Budget and family-friendly, The Village Lodge provides a well-priced stay, ideally located for exploring Storms River's bounty of outdoor activities.
- To get into the spirit of things, Jeffrey’s Bay’s quirky, friendly, Funky Town guesthouse has a youthful vibe and is also excellent value.
- Well priced, well located for exploring Addo Elephant National Park, Bydand B&B is comfortable and contemporary stay.
FOR AN ECO STAY
- Great value, great location Wild Lubanzi Backpackers in Coffee Bay offers everything the eco-traveller desires, as well as delicious, locally sourced food!
- Traditional thatched style accommodation, Hitgeheim Country Lodge & Eco-Reserve are eager to preserve their pristine environment around Addo Elephant National Park. With impressive green credentials and conservation efforts. Plus, it doesn’t cost the earth!
FOR A FAMILY STAY
- Well-priced, flexible accommodation in Port Elizabeth, Ibhayi Guest Lodge is a great option for the family.
- One of Chintsa’s most family-friendly stays, Crawford Beach Lodge’s hearty dining, and a great beachside location mean its popular with all ages.
- Laidback living, Admiralty Beach House is a home-away-from-home in Port Elizabeth, that all the family can enjoy.
- A village within a village, Tsitsikamma Village Inn, Storms River, doesn't just provide a roof over your head, there are several dining options, a collection of boutique shops, and even a micro-brewery.
- Excellent value accommodation, Inkwenkwezi Private Game Reserve is a great opportunity for families to experience a safari stay.
- Homely, owner-managed, boutique hotel, Arum House is nestled amidst a quiet neighbourhood of East London, yet still within easy reach of the town. What’s more? Under-12s stay free.
FOR A BOUTIQUE STAY
- Walking distance from many of Port Elizabeth’s sights, The Windermere by Mantis provides a chic, modern, urban stay.
- Manor 38 in Port Elizabeth, a quirky, modern B&B, offers eight lovingly designed suites at the hand of their delightful owners.
- With just two suites, yet right in the heart of Port Elizabeth, 23 On Glen is not only one of the city’s most bijous stays, but it’s also incredibly well-priced.
- Quirky interiors, No5 by Mantis is an ultra-modern stay within easy reach of Port Elizabeth's attractions.
FOR A COUPLES RETREAT
- Large suites, roll-top baths, manicured gardens and a very inviting pool Millbury Guest House is a place to unwind, and the perfect getaway for couples in Port Elizabeth.
- The capacious four-poster, roll-top baths, private pools, not only does Camp Figtree provide excellent value, it is the perfect couple’s stay and the perfect base from which to explore Addo Elephant National Park.
- Beautifully decorated, with cavernous baths and private pools, Prana Lodge is Chintsa’s ultimate couples’ retreat.
- Occupying an epic setting overlooking Sanddrift River Gorge, The Fernery Lodge & Chalets, near Storms River, boasts sophisticated suites with private balconies, fine-dining and an indulgent spa.
- The most romantic stay in Jeffrey’s Bay, Stone Olive Guest House’s Provencal style rooms, are as attractive as their price tag.
FOR A HERITAGE STAY
- Intimate, period, family-run lodgings in Port Elizabeth, St Phillips Guesthouse provides a heritage stay for excellent value.
- A glorious Victorian homestead, within Addo Elephant National Park, Riverbend Lodge provides a heritage stay moments from some of South Africa’s finest wildlife. Stylish suites and fine dining ensure guests can enjoy the best of both worlds.
- Hacklewood Hill Country House's 19th-century lodgings provide guests with a very refined stay, within easy reach of Port Elizabeth’s main attractions, all period features and silver-service dining, moments from town.
- Boasting smart colonial interiors Elephant House, located just 8 km from Addo Elephant National Park, is a refined stay in a very genteel setting. Beautiful suites are decorated with old black-and-white photographs and floral prints. Very quaint.
FOR ULTIMATE RELAXATION
- A little further afield from Chintsa, Miarestate Hotel & Spa offers luxurious accommodation, fine dining, with a long list of spa treatments. Rural bliss done right.
- With an indulgent spa, fine dining, plus just a short drive from Addo Elephant National Park, Woodall Country House & Spa is a very relaxing stay in a truly wild setting.
- Lying along the banks of the Kabeljauws River estuary, Dio Dell'amore is a tranquil Tuscan stay in Jeffrey’s Bay.
- Feel as though you're staying in the African bush at Thunzi Bush Lodge - even though you're only a short drive from Port Elizabeth. Luscious grounds, African-inspired decor and cottage style accommodation.
- The best in boutique accommodation in Jeffrey’s Bay, Mandyville Hotel boasts sumptuous suites, sun-drenched gardens, and very attentive hosts.
- Overlooking a former quarry in East London, Quarry Lake Inn is surrounded by greenery, despite being close to town, making it a very tranquil stay.
- Immerse yourself in an oasis of tranquillity in Port Elizabeth at Singa Lodge. You're moments from the city yet surrounded by lush gardens.
- Moments from Port Elizabeth, the charming English-country style gardens and décor of Carlslogie House is an intimate and relaxing setting.
FOR SOMETHING TRULY SPECIAL
- The only five star stay within Addo Elephant National Park, Gorah Elephant Camp boasts luxurious, colonial-style tents, and an up-close-and-personal experience like no other. The elephants all but come up to you and greet you good morning! Unforgettable.
- As with much of South Africa, on the whole, the Eastern Cape benefits from good weather year-round – there’s no real ‘bad time’ to visit. Running along South Africa’s Indian Ocean, the Eastern Cape enjoys a warmer, slightly more tropical climate, and mercifully, milder swimming temperatures, if compared to its Atlantic neighbour. Lying directly between the subtropical temps of KwaZulu-Natal and the Mediterranean conditions of the Western Cape, December and January are still the hottest and driest months, though temperatures seldom reach over 30°C, whilst February to April can get a little wetter and humid. During the winter, from April to August, temperatures range from 7º to 20º C, whilst in summer they linger between 16º and 28º C.
- Occupying the final stretch of the Garden Route, and where the Wild Coast and Sunshine Coast begin, it’s safe to say that South Africa’s Eastern Cape boasts from impressive road trips – so it’s no wonder that many travellers opt to self-drive here. It’s a much easier option too, as, outside of the cities, public transport, and even taxis are limited – the latter, often expensive.
- If you'd like to hire car, we recommend our travel partners, Rentalcars
- The main airports of Port Elizabeth and East London are well connected, and flights to and from Cape Town and Johannesburg arrive and depart daily.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Eastern Cape
Wild Lubanzi Backpackers Coffee Bay 4 rooms from £21Back to Nature - Located along a rugged stretch of the Indian Ocean, with nothing else around you other than the great outdoorsSights nearby - Take a dip in the Indian Ocean (much warmer than the Western Cape's Atlantic!)Great walks - Excellent rural and coastal walksKayaking - Along the Mncwasa River
A unique tented lodge, located overlooking one of the most pristine stretched of The Wild Coast. A true "back to nature"experience, a stay in one of their tents is heaven for lovers of the simple life. Dining is superb: freshly made dishes from locally grown vegetables and freshly baked breads. See More
Terra-Khaya Hogsback 4 rooms from £23Eco break - The ultimate eco stay - this charming hotel is completely off the gridLocal markets - The Saturday Farm Market is a great place to pick up local produceGreat walks - There are plenty of walks directly from the hotelFull of character
"Not everyone's cup of tea" or so they say themselves, the environmentally conscious traveller will simply adore this hotel. Completely off the grid, there are no plug points, no TVs, no waste. It's an impressive operation. With pristine riding trails and eco-chic interiors its an immersive stay. See More
Stone Olive Guest House Jeffrey's Bay 5 rooms from £39Value chic - An excellent value stay, moments from Jeffrey's BaySurfing - Son Surf School has private and group lessonsGreat walks - Along the pristine Jeffrey's BaySwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
You are well looked after at this owner-managed B&B within moments of the pristine beaches of Jeffrey's Bay. Each of the five suites is decorated in a Mediterranean style with opulent upholstered headboards and bathrooms with roll-top tubs. A superb breakfast is served each morning. Lovely pool. See More
Funky Town Jeffrey's Bay 8 rooms from £39Value chic - Excellent value moments from the pristine Jeffrey's BayGreat walks - Excellent walking along Jeffrey's BaySurfing - Son Surf School is less than 1km awaySwimming Pool - Plunge pool
Quirky self-catering guesthouse provides excellent value accommodation within walking distance of Jeffrey's Bay. Each room is unique, interiors feature bright pop art, red leather sofas and stylish outdoor living areas, including a great plunge pool. Homely self-catering accommodation at its best. See More
Dio Dell'Amore Jeffrey's Bay 6 rooms from £40Value chic - Beautiful family run hotel at an excellent priceKayaking - Along Watergat RiverSurfing - Son Surf SchoolSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Located on the banks of the Kabeljauws River estuary this opulent guesthouse provides luxurious accommodation at an excellent price. A Tuscan-styled villa each of its six rooms are filled with antiques and traditional pieces: four poster beds, terracotta tiles, claw-foot tubs. Beautiful gardens. See More
St Phillips Guesthouse Port Elizabeth 3 rooms from £43Value chic - Excellent value, delightful owner managed staySailing - Take a sunset cruise from Port Elizabeth HarbourGreat walks - St George's Park is just 1km awaySeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Traditional 20th-century hotel boasting architecture iconic of its time. Each of its three rooms includes colourful interiors with plenty of original features, including working fireplaces and exposed wood floors. Your choice of English or Continental breakfast is served. See More
Arum House East London 8 rooms from £44Families - Plenty of attractions nearby, plus under 12s stay free!Great walks - New Forest Trail is a great hikeKayaking - Nahoon RiverQuirky - An experience!
Behind its grand exteriors lies a surprisingly intimate and comfortable stay. Family friendly, under 12's stay free. Each of its eight rooms boasts all the mod cons and good sized en-suites. There's no pool, but the Indian Ocean is just a few moments away. A well-priced, well-located stay. See More
The Loerie Hide East London 6 rooms from £45Romantic Break - Lavish rooms, balconies with views, and private diningValue chic - Excellent value accommodation in a superb locationGreat walks - You're within a few minutes walk from Nahoon BeachKayaking - Along Nahoon River
It's rare to find such levels of luxury with such an inviting price tag. Boasting indulgent suites with private balconies and views to boot you're within walking distance of the Indian Ocean. There's a large pool and a sunny dining conservatory - where a superb breakfast is served. A great choice. See More
Lenore Guest House Port Elizabeth 5 rooms from £46Value chic - A great value stay within easy reach of Port Elizabeth's attractionsGreat walks - St George's Park is just 1km awaySwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Swell Eco Lodge Mdumbi,, Eastern Cape 8 rooms from £47Active Holiday - Surfing, yoga, cycling, and so much more - there's something for everyone hereEco break - Superlative eco credentials in an epic settingSurfing - Boards are available to hire - you're just 900 m from the Indian OceanSights nearby - Take a drive to the natural phenomena that is Hole-in-the-Wall
Family-owned eco lodged in a truly rugged positioning, on the wild Mdumbi coastline. Each of the eight thatched cottages provides simple yet comfortable accommodation: perfect for those who want to get back to nature. There's a pool, family accommodation, and plenty of outdoor activities. See More
Singa Lodge Port Elizabeth 12 rooms from £55Value chic - Excellent value, stylish interiors plus a great locationLocal markets - Held every Saturday Valley Market is a great spot for locally made foodSurfing - Hobie Beach is a popular surfing spotGreat walks - Through St George’s Park
A cocoon of tranquillity within close distance to Port Elizabeth. Each of its 12 bedrooms is uniquely decorated with four-poster beds, mosaic tiles, local artwork, and enormous in-room baths. A great breakfast is served plus there beautiful gardens in which to relax. Excellent value. See More
Inkwenkwezi Private Game Reserve Chintsa 12 rooms from £55Value chic - An excellent value tent campKayaking - Down the tidal estuary down towards the Glen Eden beachGreat walks - Excellent guided bush walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Excellent value safari lodge. Providing a true camping experience, with all the difficult bits taken care of! Each of the 12 tents provides a comfortable stay with en suite bathrooms and private terrace to take in those views. A hearty breakfast is served and sundowners by the fire are very popular. See More
Purple Haze Eco Lodge Chintsa 5 rooms from £57Back to Nature - A stay amidst Chinsta's rugged coastline, with BBQ facilities and excellent hiking trailsValue chic - Great value self catering accommodationGreat walks - Spectacular walking routes, through mountain and coastline, right from your front doorRestrictions on children - Over 18s only
Five eco-cottages within walking distance of the Wild Coast's most beautiful beaches. Simple yet sustainable, with everything a nature lover could want. Self-catering, you're walking distance from local restaurants. Guests should bear in mind, this is a "4.20 friendly stay" - if you know, you know! See More
Carslogie House Port Elizabeth 4 rooms from £58Local exploring - A cosy stay - the perfect base from which to explore Port ElizabethSights nearby - Children will love Splash WaterworldSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolSurfing - Hobie Beach
Delightful owner managed bungalow turned popular B&B. Guests will feel right at home in their luxurious abode, styled with silks, ornate lamps, and English country decor. The best opening out onto the pool. A full English breakfast is served each morning. An excellent value stay. See More
Thunzi Bush Lodge Port Elizabeth 6 rooms from £58Families - Self catering cottages and rural location - excellent for familiesBirdwatching - Excellent bird watching opportunitiesSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolSpa
Cosy cottage interiors providing self-catering accommodation amidst the beautiful setting of Maitland Nature Park. A fully equipped kitchen, open plan living areas which open out on your private terrace provide a very comfortable stay. Suites include modern bathrooms. Surrounded by nature. See More
23 on Glen Port Elizabeth 2 rooms from £63Value chic - Great value accommodation, ideal with familiesGreat walks - Through St George's Park, just 1km awaySurfing - Humewood Beach is 8km awayTraditional
Tsitsikamma Village Inn Storms River (Storms River,) 49 rooms from £66Families - Beautiful, spacious, cottage accommodation is ideal for familiesValue chic - Excellent value family accommodationSights nearby - Tsitsikamma Falls Adventure is an adrenaline filled afternoon spent zip-lining through the forestLocal markets - Storms River Arts and Crafts Market is a short stroll from the hotel
A village within a village, this hotel is comprised of a collection of colonial style cottages scattered around manicured grounds and an inviting pool. There are several restaurants and shops surrounding the 'village' from Marilyn's 60's Diner to an on-site microbrewery. Plenty of activities nearby! See More
Bydand B&B Addo 5 rooms from £68Families - A great value stay for all the familySights nearby - Pay a visit to the nearby Daniell Cheetah Breeding FarmSailing - Sundays River FerrySwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Contemporary stay within easy reach of some of Addo's most popular attractions. This family and budget-friendly guesthouse provides guests with their choice of sumptuous buffet and full English breakfast. There's an inviting pool and flexible accommodation, with rooms that include private terraces. See More
Millbury Guest House Port Elizabeth 7 rooms from £69Total relaxation - Boasting a pool, enormous suites, and you're right by a golf courseLocal markets - Held every Saturday Valley Market is a popular spotGreat walks - Settler's Park Nature ReserveSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Set within a tranquil garden around a sun-drenched pool providing roomy accommodation in the leafy suburb of Mill Park. Providing the perfect base to explore the surrounding game parks, beaches and golf courses of the Eastern Cape - enormous suites, modern bathrooms, and superb food. A great stay. See More
Manor 38 Port Elizabeth 8 rooms from £70Value chic - A great value boutique stayLocal markets - Every Saturday, Valley Market is a favourite of local foodiesSurfing - King's Beach is a prime surfing beachRestrictions on children - Children above the age of 12 welcome
Delightful owner managed B&B located in the quiet suburb of Summerstrand, yet within easy access of Port Elizabeth. Each of its eight rooms is uniquely decorated, with private balconies, enormous beds and ensuite bedrooms. Spacious living areas, an outdoor pool, and excellent home cooked food. See More
Ibhayi Guest Lodge Port Elizabeth (Summerstrand) 10 rooms from £71Families - Excellent family accommodation with a very attractive priceGreat walks - St George’s ParkSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Drostdy Hotel Eastern Cape 48 rooms from £78Local exploring - Surrounded by the Camdeboo National Park it is the perfect spot for exploring the Karoo's wildernessSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRomantic - Good for couples.Spa
Dating back to the early 1800s this traditional Cape Dutch style manor house is located in the historic town of Graaff-Reinet. Surrounded by the rustic beauty of The Karoo you are treated to luxurious accommodation in this refined setting. Fine dining, a spa, and a large pool. Very inviting. See More
Admiralty Beach House Port Elizabeth 8 rooms from £79Local exploring - A home away from home: the perfect base for exploring Port ElizabethLocal markets - Every Saturday, Valley Market is popular with foodiesGreat walks - Along the wooden coastal walkSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Delightful owner-managed guest house in the leafy suburb of Summerstand. Benefitting from a local golf course, you're still with easy reach of Port Elizabeth's city centre. Beautiful suites, decorated in creams and blue lookout across the garden and pool. A cosy stay, complete with great breakfast. See More
Mandyville Hotel Jeffrey's Bay 4 rooms from £80Hideaway - An intimate and homely stay, moments from the beachFishing - Organise a trip with Shatara Fishing ChartersSurfing - Wavecrest Surf School is nearby
Delightful hotel with beautiful outdoor areas including a perfectly sized garden with al fresco dining area, braai, and fire pit. Each of its rooms is decorated with vibrant pops of colour and a hint of Africa. All include modern bathrooms. A hearty breakfast is served to set you up for the day. See More
Chrislin African Lodge Addo 18 rooms from £84Value chic - Excellent value family staySwimming Pool - Outdoor poolViews - Great views from hotel
The Village Lodge Storms River 10 rooms from £84Families - Activities, games, the great outdoors, and family suites: plenty to keep everyone occupied!Sights nearby - Knysna Big Tree is just 1km awayTraditionalFull of character
Family and budget friendly, this great-outdoorsy hotel provides laidback living for all ages. Flexible accommodation includes outdoor terraces, opening up onto gardens teeming with wildlife (make friends with the resident chameleons)! A buffet breakfast is the perfect start to a day's exploring. See More
The Windermere by Mantis Port Elizabeth 10 rooms from £86City Style - Trendy interiors in the midst of Port ElizabethSights nearby - Children will love Splash Waterworld, within walking distanceSurfing - Hobie Beach is popular with surfersGreat walks - St George’s Park
Located along Port Elizabeth's bustling coastline this trendy, modern, boutique hotel provides stylish accommodation within walking distance of many of the city's best sights. Rooms are decorated in creams and blues with large bathrooms and all the mod cons. Boasts a great breakfast and pool. See More
Morgan Bay Hotel Morgan Bay 40 rooms from £90Beach Life - Right on the beach, this is a perfect laidback holiday stayFishing - Rock and surf fishing as well as saltwater fly fishing optionsGreat walks - Along the pristine Morgan's BaySurfing - Excellent surfing on Morgan Bay
A delightful beachside hotel, in the family for generations. Light and bright rooms, with splashes of colour and beautiful balconies boasting sea views, provide a very comfortable stay. A stone's throw from Morgan's Bay, enjoy a treatment at Milkwood spa. Excellent dining - great for families. See More
Quarry Lake Inn East London 16 rooms from £90Families - A cosy B&B with family friendly accommodation and nearby lakeSights nearby - Cricket fans can catch a match at Buffalo Park Cricket Stadium, just 2km awayKayaking - Nahoon Nature Reserve is just 3km awaySwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
An urban oasis. Overlooking a former quarry this charming guesthouse runs like a well-oiled machine. With twenty years behind them a dedicated team of staff, plus cosy rooms, al fresco dining, inviting pool, verdant surrounds: it all provides for a very peaceful backdrop to your stay in East London. See More
On The Beach Guest House Jeffrey's Bay 12 rooms from £102Families - A great family stay overlooking Jeffrey's BaySurfing - Take lessons at Son Surf SchoolSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
The clue is in the name! Located right along the popular Jeffrey's Bay this hotel boasts unrivalled sea views and a bounty of nautical activities right on your doorstep. Your choice of B&B and self-catering accommodation makes this a flexible family stay. Beautiful rooms and charming hosts. Superb. See More
Hitgeheim Country Lodge & Eco-Reserve Addo 16 rooms from £104Eco break - Commendable eco and conservation principles - ideal for the enviromentally conscious travellerKayaking - Along the nearby Sundays River, just 1 km awayGreat walks - Expertly led bush walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Traditional African style huts, with thatched roofs, concealing luxurious interiors and quirky bathrooms. Each includes its own private sit out from which to watch the birds and wildlife pass by. There's a pool, excellent safari opportunities, as well as a strong environmental ethos. See More
Crawford's Beach Lodge Chintsa 30 rooms from £104Families - Well-priced family stay with a bounty of outdoor activities on your doorstepSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Views - Great views from hotel
Popular owner-managed B&B, walking distance of The Wild Coast's spectacular coastline. Explore some of South Africa's most rugged landscapes from the comfort of this homely stay. Very family friendly, dine on hearty dishes to fuel you for the day. Rooms include flexible accommodation with balconies. See More
J-Bay Zebra Lodge Thornhill,, Eastern Cape 6 rooms from £131Families - Children will love the tented accommodation and resident zebrasFishing - Rods and reels are availableKayaking - Gamtoos RiverSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Luxurious well-priced accommodation with a bounty of outdoor activities right on your doorstep. Get the camping experience, with luxurious tents and smart bathrooms. An enormous breakfast is served each morning. You're well taken care of by your dedicated hosts. A great stay. See More
No5 by Mantis Port Elizabeth 10 rooms from £133City Style - A sleek, modern hotel in the heart of Port ElizabethLocal markets - The Beachfront Craft Market is the perfect place to pick up some local souvenirsSurfing - Port Elizabeth is home to some of South Africa's best surfing beachesGreat walks - Port Elizabeth's cliff path goes past Hobie Beach and Shark Rock Pier
Elephant House Addo 8 rooms from £135Families - Family suites surrounded by pristine natureSights nearby - Nomathamsanqa Township is within easy reachBirdwatching - Excellent birdwatching in the areaSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
This colonial style lodge, boasting traditional thatched roof and surrounded by the wilderness of Addo National Park, just 8km away. Beautiful rooms include exposed beams, boldly upholstered furnishings and antique Persian rugs. Excellent cuisine and romantic rooms plus daily safaris. See More
Koedoeskop Private Mountain Reserve Addo (Rietvlei Road,) 6 rooms from £135Families - Great value, superb familiy stay with a long list of activitiesGreat walks - Expertly led guided bush walksBirdwatching - Excellent bird spottingSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
A very well priced family stay. There is something for everyone here, wildlife safaris, spa treatments, cycling, and even yoga classes - all ages will love. A hearty breakfast is included, to set you up for a day spent exploring. Excellently located for visits to Addo Elephant Park. See More
The Fernery Lodge & Chalets Storms River (Stormsriver,) 16 rooms from £141Active Holiday - Surrounded by beautiful Mother Nature, with a bounty of outdoor pursuits nearbyBirdwatching - With over 165 birds to be spotted on the property, you better pack your binoculars!Fishing - Rods and equipment are available at the hotelKayaking - Boats are available to take out on the dam
Occupying an epic setting, overlooking the Sanddrift River Gorge. Like a scene from Jurassic Park, the restaurant boasts views across a 30m waterfall, accompanied by a gourmet breakfast: a great way to start the day. Luxurious cottages and lavish bathrooms, plus there's a pool, sauna, and jacuzzi. See More
Hacklewood Hill Country House Port Elizabeth 8 rooms from £147Local exploring - A charming hotel, that feels like home, within easy reach of Port Elizabeth's attractionsGreat walks - Settler's Park Nature ReserveSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolSurfing - Hobie Beach
Dating back to 1898 this heritage hotel, set amidst an English country garden provides a comfortable homestay. Rooms are decorated in a classic style with floral prints, traditional artwork, and large bathrooms. Cosy sitting rooms include open place fires. Excellent dining - a great stay. See More
Miarestate Hotel & Spa Haga Haga,, Eastern Cape 9 rooms from £165Total relaxation - Spa, rural location, and fine dining: total blissBirdwatching - Over 390 bird species to be spottedFishing - Rods and reels are availableSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Located an hour's drive from East London this relaxing nine bedroom lodge provides lavish accommodation surrounded by the rugged bushveld. Each of its rooms includes opulent interiors and boasts a private balcony. There's an outdoor pool plus a spa and fine dining. Lots of activities on site. See More
Woodall Country House & Spa Addo 11 rooms from £178Total relaxation - Luxurious suites, a rural location, plus spa treatments - total blissKayaking - Cruise down Sundays RIverSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolRomantic - Good for couples.
This intimate lodge, within easy reach of the wilderness of Addo Elephant Park, provides a pampering backdrop during your stay in the Eastern Cape. Fine dining, a long list of spa treatments, lavish suites and modern bathrooms: it all makes for a very romantic stay. Outdoor activities abound. See More
Prana Lodge Chintsa (Chintsa,) 7 rooms from £207Romantic Break - Exquisite rooms, beachside location: a very romantic stayGreat walks - The coastal walk down to the nearby beachRestrictions on children - Children above the age of 12 are welcomeSwimming Pool - Outdoor pools
Very romantic, beautifully decorated hotel within easy reach of Inkwenkwezi Private Game Reserve. A great stay for couples, or those who like the great outdoors, but enjoy life's luxuries a little more. Sprawling suites include ensuites with cavernous baths. Excellent dining. A wonderful stay. See More
Camp Figtree Addo 6 rooms from £208Value chic - A very luxurious, excellent value lodgeGreat walks - Guided safari walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolFull of character
Excellent value luxurious lodge this seven bedroom stay provides guests with very comfortable rooms: four-poster beds and Victorian style bathrooms with clawfoot tubs and monochrome tiles. There's an inviting pool, fine dining, and guests can choose between 4x4, walking, and elephant safaris. See More
Riverbend Lodge Addo 6105 9 rooms from £169Birdwatching - Due to the unique climatic area and 5 different biomes, River Bend is home to over 300 bird speciesBack to Nature - In lush colourful gardens this Victorian lodge is a refreshing way to experience African wildlifeGreat walks - Beautiful hiking and biking trails around the areaTraditional - Furnished in an old-fasioned styleRecommended by - I Escape
A lovely Victorian homestead set within Addo Elephant Park. The eight individual suites are elegant yet homely with antiques, beautiful bathrooms and fabulous views. Spend days on exhilarating game drives before returning to feast on top-notch gourmet cuisine and unwind in the indulgent spa. See More
Woodbury Tented Camp Addo 10 rooms from £274Back to Nature - True "out of Africa" experience in this tented campRestrictions on children - Children over 6 are welcomedGreat walks - Guided bush walksBirdwatching - Excellent birding
This all-inclusive camp provides excellent value for families. With all meals, plus two game drives included in the rate, it's a very inviting option. Stylish tents provide every creature comfort, whilst still feeling like you're camping. There's a pool, a bar, and unspoilt views of Bushmans River. See More
Kuzuko Lodge Addo (EASTERN CAPE) 24 rooms from £313Families - Under 12s stay free - so it's a great family stayFishing - Fly fishing equipment is availableGreat walks - Excellent guided safari walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Set within the rugged surrounds of Addo Elephant National Park overlooked by the Zuurberg Mountains. There is a long list of outdoor activities, so it's very popular with families and al fresco spa treatments means adults can relax too! Candle-lit dining, luxury rooms - it's a popular stay. See More
Samara Private Game Reserve Graaff-Reinet,, Eastern Cape 9 rooms from £344Back to Nature - Surrounded by the rugged Great Karoo, with an abundance of wildlife, it's the perfect back to nature breakEco break - The owners have created a self-sustaining ecosystem that has repopulated the local game populationGreat walks - The hotel offers guided walking safarisSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Surrounded by thousands of acres of wild terrain, with 360° views across the Plains of Camdeboo. Choose from cheetah tracking to walking safaris, and picnic out in the wild. With admirable sustainability efforts, this property is passionate about conservation. Beautiful suites and fine dining. See More
Quartermain's 1920's Safari Camp Addo 10 rooms from £346Back to Nature - A true camping experience - back to nature and in time!Restrictions on children - Children above the age of 12 are welcomeFishing - Fishing on the nearby Boesmans RiverRemote - Off the beaten track.
The real safari experience. This 1920s style camp provides an authentic safari experience. Open tents are designed in a colonial style - camp beds with rustic trunks. Cooking is done on an open fire under the stars. A true adventure, yet very romantic, and children will love! One of a kind. See More
Oceana Beach & Wildlife Reserve Port Alfred 8 rooms from £372Total relaxation - Rugged ocean location surrounded by wildlifeGreat walks - 7km of pristine beaches to exploreBirdwatching - 220 bird species to be spottedSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Perfectly located between the Indian Ocean and acres of private game reserve this eight-bedroom property provides a luxurious stay with every creature comfort. There's a gym, a spa, plus an outdoor pool, and daily safari drives. Superb dining sets you up for a day exploring. A great stay. See More
Leeuwenbosch Country House Paterson,, Eastern Cape 2 rooms from £399Families - Private villas, an all-inclusive stay, plus plenty of outdoor activities - it's a great family staySailing - On the Bushman's RiverGreat walks - Guided bush walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
This colonial style country house provides a perfect family stay amidst nature. With sprawling gardens, there is plenty of space for little ones to run around as well as opulent living and dining areas to spread yourself out. Beautiful rooms include smart bathrooms. Adults and children are spoilt. See More
Hillsnek Safari Camp Addo 4 rooms from £535Back to Nature - Luxurious camping in the midst of the African bushBirdwatching - Guided birding excursionsSailing - Private boat tripsGreat walks - Guided bush walks
With just four bedrooms, this lodge is a very intimate experience. With tailored family accommodation, it's a great stay for all ages. Each room and tent provides luxurious interiors, depending on your preference. Make friends with your four-legged neighbours on a safari drive! See More
Hlosi Game Lodge Addo 3 rooms from £536Families - Family accommodation in a wild locationFishing - Gear available at the hotelGreat walks - Guided bush walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Charming property providing both tented and lodge accommodation. Children are well looked after with special kids safaris and a children's club, plus tailored menus and family suites. Every room boasts fabulous views, choose between four posters and lavish tents. All include spoiling bathrooms. See More
Bukela Game Lodge Paterson,, Eastern Cape 9 rooms from £539Back to Nature - Five star safari lodge surrounded by unspoilt nature and impressive wildlifeRestrictions on children - Children above the age of 16 can be accommodatedSailing - A boat ride along Bushman's RiverBirdwatching - Impressive birdlife to be spotted
Stunning modern built safari lodge decorated in a contemporary style with sweeping views. Each of its nine suites is exquisitely decorated, with en-suites boasting enormous tubs and floor to ceiling windows to gaze out of. Plenty of activities plus spa treatments and superb dining. See More
Lentaba Safari Lodge Eastern Cape,, Eastern Cape 10 rooms from £550Families - Family suites and plenty of activities for little onesGreat walks - Guided bush walks are a great chance to get up close and personal with natureBirdwatching - Don't forget to bring your binoculars!Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Stunning ten-bedroom lodge located on the private Lalibela Game Reserve. Choose between tent and lodge accommodation, both wonderfully luxurious. Ideal for families, there is an outdoor children playground and pool. Rooms include balconies with far reaching views. Fine dining and daily safaris. See More
Kariega Ukhozi Lodge Port Elizabeth (Kariega Game Reserve,) 10 rooms from £550Romantic Break - Adults only accommodation with some suites including private poolsGreat walks - Guided bush walks with experienced rangers in search of over 25 game and hundreds of birdsSailing - A boat safari along the Bushmans RiverKayaking - Along the Kariega River
Five-star luxury lodge boasting a long list of spa treatments and outdoor activities. Adults only, guests are in for a pampering stay. Each of the ten suites boasts sweeping views, enormous bathrooms, and the best private pools. Dine to your heart's content at this all-inclusive lodge. See More
Kariega River Lodge Eastern Cape 10 rooms from £550Families - Fantastic riverside accommodation: perfect for families with older childrenSailing - Take a trip down the coast along Bushmans RiverRestrictions on children - Children above the age of 10 are welcomeGreat walks - Daily guided bush walks
Epic river location, right along the banks of the majestic Bushman's River. Perfect for families with older children (above 10s welcome) there is so much to keep all ages entertained: safaris, fishing, sailing, guided walks, and spa treatments. Charming cottage interiors and five-star dining. See More
Kariega Main Lodge Eastern Cape 2 rooms from £560Families - One bedroom and three bedroom villa accommodation - perfect for familiesKayaking - Along the Bushman's RiverFishing - Equipment is availableGreat walks - Guided bush walks
Ideal for families, choose between one-bedroom and three-bedroom villa accommodation in an epic setting. This all-inclusive stay means you can enjoy dining, safaris and many other perks to your heart's content. Rooms are decorated in a cosy style with exposed wood and roll top baths. See More
Inzolo Exclusive Game Lodge Sidbury,, Eastern Cape 4 rooms from £638Romantic Break - Intimate four bedroom lodge with private cottages, perfect for couplesBirdwatching - Hundreds of species to be spottedSailing - On the Kowie RiverSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Five-star accommodation surrounded by rugged bushveld home to Africa's Big Five! This intimate four-bedroom private game reserve is perfect for couples, providing privacy and luxurious interiors. Each cottage includes a private terrace for stargazing. The pool boasts incredible views. Stunning. See More
Kichaka Lodge Grahamstown,, Eastern Cape 10 rooms from £674Romantic Break - Four poster beds, spa treatment, luxurious cottages ideal for star gazingFishing - Rods and reels are availableGreat walks - Guided bush walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Romantic ten-bedroom lodge with cosy cottages and lavish interiors. This adults-only property boasts a superb menu and intimate al fresco dining. Relax by the infinity pool and watch the wildlife pass. Each suite includes four-poster beds, a private balcony, enormous baths, and his and hers basins. See More
Gorah Elephant Camp Addo 11 rooms from £731Back to Nature - An exclusive lodge set in the middle of Addo Elephant National ParkBirdwatching - There are hundreds of bird species to be spottedRestrictions on children - Children above the age of ten are welcomeKayaking - Along The Sunday’s River
Five-star stay amidst the famed Addo Elephant National Park. Relax in the lavish setting of your colonial-style tent to the sound of the plains. Candle-lit dining is the height of luxury - every creature comfort is taken care of. There's an inviting pool (the guest's own watering hole) to unwind. See More
Kariega Settler's Drift Kenton-on-Sea,, Eastern Cape 9 rooms from £830Romantic Break - Utterly opulent adults-only lodgeFishing - Equipment is availableGreat walks - Guided bush walksSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Kwandwe Private Game Reserve Grahamstown,, Eastern Cape 26 rooms from £964Back to Nature - A private game reserve in the midst of the African bushCooking classes - An al fresco cooking classGreat walks - Guided bush walksRemote - Off the beaten track.
Private game reserve comprised of five different properties, all different, all equally as luxurious. Choose between exclusive use villas and stylish suites. Superb wildlife opportunities, gourmet dining, spa treatments, and plenty to keep the little ones busy. Excellent eco credentials. See More
Shamwari Bayethe Addo 12 rooms from £1287Romantic Break - An ultimate luxury stay with private pools, spa treatments, and al fresco diningRestrictions on children - Children above the age of 12 are welcomeGreat walks - Guided bush walks led by expert trackersKayaking - Bushman's River
An ultimate five-star stay. These luxurious suites boast private pools, opulent interiors, enormous bathrooms and epic views. There is an open-air spa, offering traditional treatments, as well as a gourmet menu and al fresco dining. Wildlife is on your doorstep at this all-inclusive stay. See More