The Hotel Guru is pretty upscale but fun to look at. Marcie Ellers.
Search the best hotels in Port Elizabeth
About Port Elizabeth
Boasting a thriving food culture, taking influences from Portuguese and Malaysian traditions, as well as plenty of seafood offerings, Port Elizabeth is a melting pot for tastes and flavours. With some excellent swimming and bathing beaches, as well as almost every watersport under the sun, and sensational marine life (dolphins and whales can be spotted year-round) there's plenty to keep traveller's in Port Elizabeth occupied. Our collection of the best places to stay in Port Elizabeth showcase the best places for great-value, heritage, and family-friendly stays.
The city centre, once a place to be avoided, has been smartened up in recent years, thanks to several urban regeneration projects, and now boasts a thriving café culture. There are also plenty of smart heritage buildings, most notably the charming 19th-century Cora Terraces. Though to truly explore the city, set off on the Donkin Heritage Trail. A convenient stop along the way to the Eastern Karoo, it's a great stop off for wildlife lovers and Addo Elephant Park beyond.
What not to miss
- For the best views of the city hike up to Fort Frederik.
- Follow the Donkin Heritage Trail, passing the much-photographed, 19th-century Cora Terrace and Donkin Street Houses.
- Overlooked by the Groot Winterhoek Mountains, take a thirty-minute drive out of town and explore the Groot Winterhoek Wilderness Area, where baboon, bushbuck, mountain reedbuck, and much more can be spotted.
- Take a boat out to Bird Island Marine Protected Area, comprised of Bird, Stag, and Seal Islands. Whilst there, traverse the Bushbuck Walking trail.
- Or venture to Cape Recife Nature Reserve, one of the best bird-watching locations in Port Elizabeth.
- Clip-clop your way along the pristine expanses of the Sardinia Bay Beach with Heavenly Stables.
- Get on your bike! Along the Baakens River Mountain Bike Trail
- Art lovers can wander The Nelson Mandela Metropolitan Art Museum, showcasing prominent South African artists, new and old.
- If travelling to town at the end of December, don't miss the three-day Ebubeleni Music Festival, held at the Nelson Mandela Bay Stadium showcasing some of South Africa's finest music acts.
Our collection of the best places to stay in Port Elizabeth showcase the finest hotels in this welcoming coastal city.
The Best Places to stay in Port Elizabeth
For a great value stay
- Intimate, period, family-run lodgings, St Phillips Guesthouse is excellent value.
For a relaxing stay
- Immerse yourself in an oasis of tranquillity at Singa Lodge. You're moments from the city yet surrounded by lush gardens.
- Charming English-country style gardens and decor Carlslogie House is an intimate and relaxing stay.
- Large suites, roll-top baths, manicured gardens and a very inviting pool Millbury Guesthouse is a place to unwind.
For an intimate stay
- Quirky, modern B&B, Manor 38 offers eight lovingly designed suites at the hand of their delightful owners.
- With just two suites, yet right in the heart of town 23 On Glen is a well-priced and very intimate stay.
For a family-friendly stay
- Well-priced, flexible accommodation Ibhayi Guest Lodge is a great option for the family.
- Laidback living, Admiralty Beach House is a home-away-from-home that all the family can enjoy.
- Rustic thatched cottages, with plenty of family-suites Lenore Guesthouse, is also very budget-friendly.
For a city stay
- Walking distance from many of the city's sights, The Windermere by Mantis provides a chic, modern, urban stay.
For a stylish stay
- Quirky interiors, No5 by Mantis provides an ultra-modern stay within easy reach of Port Elizabeth's attractions.
For a heritage stay
- Hacklewood Hill Country House's 19th-century lodgings provide guests with a very refined stay, all period features and silver-service dining, moments from town.
For a stay amidst nature
- Feel as though you're staying in the African bush at Thunzi Bush Lodge - even though you're only a short drive from the city. Luscious grounds, African-inspired decor and cottage style accommodation.
- If you want to rent self-drive to explore the Eastern Cape, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Port Elizabeth International Airport is just a ten-minute drive from the city centre - taxis can be booked easily.
- Pleasant all year round, the best time to visit depends on your preference. During the summer months, November to March, temperatures range between 16 to 27°C, while winters, May to August, are between 8 and 23°C.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Port Elizabeth
St Phillips Guesthouse Port Elizabeth 3 rooms from £43
Traditional 20th-century hotel boasting architecture iconic of its time. Each of its three rooms includes colourful interiors with plenty of original features, including working fireplaces and exposed wood floors. Your choice of English or Continental breakfast is served.Value chic - Excellent value, delightful owner managed staySailing - Take a sunset cruise from Port Elizabeth HarbourGreat walks - St George's Park is just 1km awaySeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Lenore Guest House Port Elizabeth 5 rooms from £46
Boasting a veritable breakfast spread and comfortable accommodation, including plenty of family suites and en suite bathroom. There is a pool, gardens, tennis courts, and plenty to keep little ones busy. A great family stay - great value too.Value chic - A great value stay within easy reach of Port Elizabeth's attractionsGreat walks - St George's Park is just 1km awaySwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Singa Lodge Port Elizabeth 12 rooms from £55
A cocoon of tranquillity within close distance to Port Elizabeth. Each of its 12 bedrooms is uniquely decorated with four-poster beds, mosaic tiles, local artwork, and enormous in-room baths. A great breakfast is served plus there beautiful gardens in which to relax. Excellent value.Value chic - Excellent value, stylish interiors plus a great locationLocal markets - Held every Saturday Valley Market is a great spot for locally made foodSurfing - Hobie Beach is a popular surfing spotGreat walks - Through St George’s Park
Carslogie House Port Elizabeth 4 rooms from £58
Delightful owner managed bungalow turned popular B&B. Guests will feel right at home in their luxurious abode, styled with silks, ornate lamps, and English country decor. The best opening out onto the pool. A full English breakfast is served each morning. An excellent value stay.Local exploring - A cosy stay - the perfect base from which to explore Port ElizabethSights nearby - Children will love Splash WaterworldSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolSurfing - Hobie Beach
Thunzi Bush Lodge Port Elizabeth 6 rooms from £58
Cosy cottage interiors providing self-catering accommodation amidst the beautiful setting of Maitland Nature Park. A fully equipped kitchen, open plan living areas which open out on your private terrace provide a very comfortable stay. Suites include modern bathrooms. Surrounded by nature.Families - Self catering cottages and rural location - excellent for familiesBirdwatching - Excellent bird watching opportunitiesSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolSpa
23 on Glen Port Elizabeth 2 rooms from £63
Delightful owner managed B&B providing well-priced family accommodation. With just two bedrooms, it's a very intimate stay. Each of its rooms is decorated in muted colours and floral patterns, with attached bathrooms. A full English breakfast is served each morning.Value chic - Great value accommodation, ideal with familiesGreat walks - Through St George's Park, just 1km awaySurfing - Humewood Beach is 8km awayTraditional
Millbury Guest House Port Elizabeth 7 rooms from £69
Set within a tranquil garden around a sun-drenched pool providing roomy accommodation in the leafy suburb of Mill Park. Providing the perfect base to explore the surrounding game parks, beaches and golf courses of the Eastern Cape - enormous suites, modern bathrooms, and superb food. A great stay.Total relaxation - Boasting a pool, enormous suites, and you're right by a golf courseLocal markets - Held every Saturday Valley Market is a popular spotGreat walks - Settler's Park Nature ReserveSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Manor 38 Port Elizabeth 8 rooms from £70
Delightful owner managed B&B located in the quiet suburb of Summerstrand, yet within easy access of Port Elizabeth. Each of its eight rooms is uniquely decorated, with private balconies, enormous beds and ensuite bedrooms. Spacious living areas, an outdoor pool, and excellent home cooked food.Value chic - A great value boutique stayLocal markets - Every Saturday, Valley Market is a favourite of local foodiesSurfing - King's Beach is a prime surfing beachRestrictions on children - Children above the age of 12 welcome
Ibhayi Guest Lodge Port Elizabeth (Summerstrand) 10 rooms from £71
Budget and family friendly accommodation that benefits from plenty of family suites plus an inviting outdoor pool. A healthy breakfast is served each morning to set you up for a day's exploring - the hotel is walking distance from many of Port Elizabeth's attractions.Families - Excellent family accommodation with a very attractive priceGreat walks - St George’s ParkSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Admiralty Beach House Port Elizabeth 8 rooms from £79
Delightful owner-managed guest house in the leafy suburb of Summerstand. Benefitting from a local golf course, you're still with easy reach of Port Elizabeth's city centre. Beautiful suites, decorated in creams and blue lookout across the garden and pool. A cosy stay, complete with great breakfast.Local exploring - A home away from home: the perfect base for exploring Port ElizabethLocal markets - Every Saturday, Valley Market is popular with foodiesGreat walks - Along the wooden coastal walkSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
The Windermere by Mantis Port Elizabeth 10 rooms from £86
Located along Port Elizabeth's bustling coastline this trendy, modern, boutique hotel provides stylish accommodation within walking distance of many of the city's best sights. Rooms are decorated in creams and blues with large bathrooms and all the mod cons. Boasts a great breakfast and pool.City Style - Trendy interiors in the midst of Port ElizabethSights nearby - Children will love Splash Waterworld, within walking distanceSurfing - Hobie Beach is popular with surfersGreat walks - St George’s Park
No5 by Mantis Port Elizabeth 10 rooms from £133
Stylish accommodation within walking distance of Port Elizabeth's restaurants and attractions. Smart suites include four-poster beds and plush interiors. There's a spa, outdoor pool, lively bar, plus an excellent breakfast is served. A great city stay.City Style - A sleek, modern hotel in the heart of Port ElizabethLocal markets - The Beachfront Craft Market is the perfect place to pick up some local souvenirsSurfing - Port Elizabeth is home to some of South Africa's best surfing beachesGreat walks - Port Elizabeth's cliff path goes past Hobie Beach and Shark Rock Pier
Hacklewood Hill Country House Port Elizabeth 8 rooms from £147
Dating back to 1898 this heritage hotel, set amidst an English country garden provides a comfortable homestay. Rooms are decorated in a classic style with floral prints, traditional artwork, and large bathrooms. Cosy sitting rooms include open place fires. Excellent dining - a great stay.Local exploring - A charming hotel, that feels like home, within easy reach of Port Elizabeth's attractionsGreat walks - Settler's Park Nature ReserveSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolSurfing - Hobie Beach
Kariega Ukhozi Lodge Port Elizabeth (Kariega Game Reserve,) 10 rooms from £550
Five-star luxury lodge boasting a long list of spa treatments and outdoor activities. Adults only, guests are in for a pampering stay. Each of the ten suites boasts sweeping views, enormous bathrooms, and the best private pools. Dine to your heart's content at this all-inclusive lodge.Romantic Break - Adults only accommodation with some suites including private poolsGreat walks - Guided bush walks with experienced rangers in search of over 25 game and hundreds of birdsSailing - A boat safari along the Bushmans RiverKayaking - Along the Kariega River