Search the best hotels in Franschhoek
Meaning French Quarter, this quiet corner of Southern Africa’s originally bore the name Olifantshoek or ‘Elephants Corner’, which gives you a clue as to its former inhabitants. Now very much converted into farmland and vineyards, it is one of the Western Cape’s most picturesque destinations and home to some of its finest dining establishments and best hotels. Sunny in the summer, crisp in winter, verdant in the spring, majestic in autumn, Franschhoek is picturesque year-round. Our selection of the best places to stay in Franschhoek highlight the best boutique hotels and foodie havens, couples' retreats and family favourites - throughout the year.
Visit to explore the rustic vineyards, Dutch architecture and beautiful scenery. Many of the vineyards still carry the names of their French forefathers, each with their own fascinating stories to tell. What’s more, restrictions on new developments have created an architectural time capsule that shouldn’t be missed. Our recommendations will show you the best places to stay in Franschhoek to enjoy this rural gem.
WHAT NOT TO MISS
- Taste some fantastic wine in an idyllic location with Boschendal Manor & Winery, and maybe even learn a bit of history.
- Just what it says on the tin, Franschhoek Wine Tram is a fun day out for wine lovers (where no-one needs to be the dedicated driver)! Spend a day hopping on and off the tram at all the best vineyards for a day you won’t forget - hopefully!
- Rent a car and drive the Franschhoek Pass, one of the most spectacular scenic routes in Southern Africa. Tour guides can be hired.
- Be sure to book a table at La Petite Colombe, the Franschhoek outpost of one of Cape Town’s finest restaurants, La Colombe.
- Petrolheads take note, the Franschhoek Motor Museum will take you through a hundred years of automobile evolution with some breathtaking vehicles.
- Learn about the history of the French Huguenot settlers who came to the area at the Huguenot Memorial Museum, just a short stroll from the high street. Visitors can also enjoy the beautifully landscaped gardens around the museum.
Our selection of the best places to stay in Franschhoek ensures that there really is something for everyone in this charming and historic town.
The Best Places to stay in Franschhoek
For something truly special
- La Residence, is a visual feast, with impressive antiques, exotic paintings and palatial decoration. Each of the 16 suites is decorated like a Maharajah’s palace, Versailles, or a regal abode - and there’s an indulgent looking dining room and an award-winning spa.
- There’s nothing else quite like 7 Koppies in the area, nestled up upon a hill of 'koppie' above Franschhoek’s charming high street, this stylish home turned hotel, provides interior-designed accommodation in an entirely secluded location – amidst 125 acres of fynbos.
- Sitting in between the Franschhoek Valley and the Stony Brook River, Holden Manz is a spacious, five-room country house with a fantastic kitchen and a spa that will take you away from it all - though you sort of already are.
For those on a budget
- Housed in a 17th-century, traditional Cape Dutch style house, Lekkerwijn provides a very affordable stay in upmarket Franschhoek. Each of its rooms and cottages is decorated in rustic-yet-chic style and filled with antiques.
- Basse Provence Country House boasts traditional architecture and comfortable suites. Low rates throughout the year, plenty of outdoor activities, plus a separate two-bedroom cottage mean it is great for families too.
- Dating back to 1904, Le Ballon Rouge is a traditional Victorian broekie-laced hotel with a great price tag. Located just of Franschhoek's pretty high street, each of its eight rooms is filled with original features - the best have a private hot tub.
BEST BOUTIQUE OPTIONS
- With just three rooms, 21 Roux Street is a bijous offering within walking distance of Franschhoek’s picture-perfect high street. Filled with antiques and period pieces its garden includes an inviting pool. A B&B in the truest sense, a hearty breakfast is served.
- Cool, quirky accommodation, Akademie Boutique Hotel has it all. Each of its rooms is individually decorated – the best include private hot tubs. A strong culinary offering, intimate size, and great location make this a firm favourite.
- Leeu House, the smallest of the luxury hotel group's collection of Franschhoek outposts, is boutique simplicity at its finest. Located in a traditional Cape Dutch house, right off the bustling high street, it's an intimate stay, with beautiful pool and gardens.
Stay on a vineyard
- La Petite Ferme is within reach of the town and also offers fantastic views and a highly renowned restaurant.
- Rickety Bridge Manor House sits within Rickety Bridge Wine Estate and has a particularly intimate feel. Beautiful traditional architecture and an outdoor pool, not to mention a great name!
- Also in the Franschhoek Valley, the Leeu Estates are in the middle of a beautiful, working vineyard. The hotel has been converted from an elegant, 19th-century manor house and the decor is both colonial and Africa, Both the dining and the wines are fine.
For a couple’s retreat
- Mont Rochelle’s secluded location, sumptuous suites, spa facilities, and a long list of romantic activities (picnic amidst the vines, anyone?) means it continues to be a firm favourite amongst couples travelling to Franschhoek.
- Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa has light and airy bedrooms, movie star mirrors, a fantastic spa and a simple but delicious menu.
- Boasting sprawling suites, superb dining, suites with private pools as well as one of the best spas in the area, Leeu Estate is a perfect choice for couples. With in-house wine tasting from their own vineyard, it’s a very indulgent stay.
- Very romantic, with plenty of activities on-site, La Clé des Montagnes' refined elegance is comprised of lavish suites, with four-poster beds, richly upholstered furnishings, and roll-top baths. Plus there's an inviting pool, tennis courts, and fine dining.
- La Petite Ferme's, famed vineyard and gourmet restaurant is the first port of call for many a gourmand when visiting Franschhoek. Inside the hotel, each of its suites includes epic views, and the best, private plunge pools.
- Home to La Petit Colombe, you couldn’t get much closer to foodie action than Le Quartier Francais. Beautifully decorated suites, filled with modern art by acclaimed African artists, it’s a feast for the eyes and the stomach.
- An authentic agritourism venture, Boschendal Farm Cottages, serves homegrown cuisine and even includes farm-to-table’ workshops. Perks include a farm spa and lots of wine-focused activities.
- Fly to Cape Town International Airport, located 88km (54 miles) from Franschhoek with a large range of domestic connections alongside several international carriers.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the beautiful region and dramatic views - for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- To get the best of the weather aim to visit between November and February. If possible try to avoid going between May and September as it can get quite chilly and there’s likely to be a good deal of rain.
Still not sure?
- Widen the net to include our recommendations in Stellenbosch, Paarl, Cape Town, and the Western Cape.
- Or contact one of our gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Franschhoek
Best Hotels in Franschhoek
Lekkerwijn Franschhoek (Groot Drakenstein) 10 rooms from £58Value chic - An elegant coutnry house, surrounded by lush gardens at a great price-what more could you ask for?Weddings - An intimate venue which offers a well organised wedding packageCountry Escape - Lekkerwijn enjoys a fantastically peaceful rural locationSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - I Escape
Lekkerwijn is set in a 17th century country house, nestled in the valleys of Franschhoek. The charming rooms are decorated in a period style with antique furnishings-or you can choose to stay in one of the rustic-chic cottages. Relax in the sun by the pool! A fantastic family retreat. See More
Basse Provence Country House Franschhoek (Western Cape) 9 rooms from £61Sights nearby - Franschhoek town is just a scenic walk or short drive away.Great walks - Along the Franschhoek River.Views - Great views from hotelTraditional
Quintessential thatched Cape Dutch style building dating back to 1855. Comprised of seven homely suites, some featuring in room bathtubs. In addition there is a two bedroomed cottage - ideal for families. Outside there is a pool with vineyard vistas and plenty of walking trails. See More
Le Ballon Rouge Franschhoek 8 rooms from £80Value chic - Great value accommodation in an excellent locationGreat walks - Along Franschhoek's beautiful high street, lined in award winning restaurants and boutiquesSights nearby - You're a short drive from Swellendam, and some of the Western Cape's most scenic drivesRestrictions on children - Children above the age of 12 can be accommodated
Dating back to 1904 this traditional Victorian broekie-laced hotel provides intimate accommodation just of Franschhoek's pretty high street. Each of its eight rooms are filled with original features such as exposed beams and roll top baths, the best have a private hot tub. A great value stay. See More
Boschendal Farm Cottages Franschhoek 7690 45 rooms from £76Eco break - Authentic agritourism experience: all you eat here is ethically raised and the farm hosts many ‘farm-to-table’ workshopsHideaway - Really more suitable for those self-sufficient travellers who are looking for real privacy and spaceFamilies - Great for families - the self-contained cottages with kitchenettes make them feel like a little homeSights nearby - Boschendal boasts immaculate award winning gardens that are a haven of serenity and beautyRecommended by - I Escape
An authentic agritourism with all produce grown on the farm and served in the restaurant. Self-catered cottages are impeccably styled with soft hues, clean lines and luxurious bathrooms. Perks include a farm spa and many wine-focused activities. An indulgent rural escape. See More
Le Franschhoek Hotel & Spa Franschhoek (Western Cape) 79 rooms from £105Tennis - There are tennis courts available for guests to use.Great walks - Traverse the Hottentots Holland Nature Reserve.SpaRestaurant - Recommended.
A 79 room hotel with a homely boutique feel. Light filled bedrooms are extremely comfortable, decorated in soft palettes and featuring sparkling bathrooms with movie star mirrors. A delectable breakfast spread is served as well as a seasonal à la carte menu at DISH. Camelot spa is not to be missed. See More
21 Roux Street Franschhoek (Western Cape) 3 rooms from £106Sights nearby - The French Huguenot Monument is within walking distance.Boutique
This beautiful guesthouse provides just three rooms - thoughtfully decorated suites. Featuring antiques, pastoral paintings and other classic decor touches. The garden is Mediterranean in style and picture perfect with an inviting pool. No restaurant but a delicious breakfast is served. See More
Rickety Bridge Manor House Franschhoek (Western Cape) 3 rooms from £119Restrictions on children - Children older than 16 years are welcome.Great walks - Along the nearby Franschhoek River.Secluded setting - For escaping.Views - Great views from hotel
An intimate three bedroom manor house, located within Rickety Bridge Wine Estate. Ensconced by the Franschhoek Valley and verdant vineyards. Charming rooms, up in the rafters feature exposed beams, antique furnishing and roll-top baths. There is an outdoor pool and homely sitting rooms. See More
7 Koppies Franschhoek 5 rooms from £134Country Escape - Nestled in the Franschhoek Valley, surrounded by hills and pristine fynbosSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Views - Great views from hotel
Nestled up upon a hill of 'koppie' above Franschhoek's charming high street, this stylish home turned hotel, provides stylish accommodation surrounded by 125 acres of fynbos. Each room is uniquely designed, with quirky interiors: think exposed brick and rattan beds. Exquisite al fresco dining. See More
La Petite Ferme Franschhoek (Cape Town) 12 rooms from £142Great walks - A downhill stroll wander into the quaint town of Franschhoek.Sights nearby - The French Huguenot's memorial is just a short walk away.Views - Great views from hotelFour poster beds - For romantics.
Famed vineyard with gourmet restaurant La Petite Ferme's hotel could not be anything but superb. Suites decorated in soft palettes feature breathtaking pastoral views, and some private plunge pools. Located within easy reach of the charming town of Franschhoek and even more excellent restaurants. See More
La Clé des Montagnes Franschhoek (Franschhoek,) 5 rooms from £250Country Escape - Nestled in the beautiful Franschhoek countryside, this is a very refined rural stayLocal markets - Franschhoek market is popular with guests and locals alikeTennis - Courts are available for guests to useSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Refined elegance surrounded by Franschhoek's rolling hills. Boasting lavish suites, with four-poster beds, richly upholstered furnishings, roll-top baths, welcome hampers, and a well-stocked mini bar, that open up onto rolling lawns. There's an inviting pool, tennis courts, and fine dining to boot. See More
Le Quartier Francais Franschhoek (Cape Town) 21 rooms from £262Restrictions on children - Children cannot be accommodated at this hotel.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.SpaRestaurant - Recommended.
Locals flock here for brunch, lunch and dinner; tourists scramble for a room. Twenty-one colourfully decorated rooms feature gorgeous upholstery and some, private pools. There are three in-house fine dining options plus plenty more right on your doorstep. A firm Franschhoek favourite. See More
Holden Manz Franschhoek 5 rooms from £305Country Escape - A stunning location and exquisite cuisine make Holden Manz the ideal spot for a romantic country escapeTotal relaxation - Feel a million miles away from all your worries as you unwind in their spaRemote - Off the beaten track.Secluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - I Escape
Holden Manz is situated on a wine estate between the Franschhoek and Stony Brook rivers. This country house offers spacious accommodation and smart bathrooms, whilst their Franschhoek kitchen serves up absolutely stunning dishes for you to try! Relax in the sun by the pool. A top country retreat. See More
Mont Rochelle Franschhoek 26 rooms from £306Country Escape - A tranquil property set amidst rolling vineyards and with epic mountain views.Secluded setting - For escaping.Outstanding locationSpaRecommended by - Tablet
A Virgin Limited Edition property set in spectacular rural surrounds in one of South Africa's finest wine growing regions. Classically designed throughout with soft hues, clean lines and plenty of light. A fabulous restaurant makes for romantic evenings and glorious spa is utterly spoiling. Bliss. See More
Grande Provence Franschhoek 7690 7 rooms from £244Active Holiday - Many active ways to explore the area; hire mountain or quad bikes and follow valley paths, up mountains and alongside lakesSwimming Pool - There are two pools; one at the Owner’s Cottage, and one private pool for guests staying in La Provençale Villa in the VineyardsSpa - There isn’t a designated spa here, but therapists are on hand to perform pampering services all day longRestrictions on children - Children of all ages are welcome, but it’s best suited to older kids and teenagersRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Luxury boutique hotel with quaint Dutch-style buildings and lush gardens. Stay in the self-contained cottage, villa or suites, with pools attached. The exemplary restaurant serves seasonal local produce with a great choice of quality wines. A serene base from which to explore this charming region. See More
Akademie Street Boutique Hotel Franschhoek 7 rooms from £363Romantic Break - Sumptuous interiors and adults only accommodation - the perfect romantic breakGreat walks - Franschhoek is home to many fantastic surrounding hiking trailsSights nearby - Take a stroll to the Huguenot Memorial MonumentRestrictions on children - Adults onlyRecommended by - Fodors
Utterly beautiful interiors, sumptuous bathrooms, combined with fine dining and a great location. Each room is unique, decorated in deep colours and unique furnishings, some with private pools. You're just off Franschhoek's main high street, so you're walking distance from the action. See More
Leeu House Franschhoek 12 rooms from £368Local exploring - Perfectly located for all that Franschhoek has to offerGreat walks - Explore the Mont Rochelle Nature ReserveSights nearby - The Huguenot MonumentSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
The Last Word Franschhoek 6 rooms from £371Country Escape - Located in the Franschhoek countryside, there are plenty of walks and outdoor activitiesFoodies - Vineyards and award winning restaurants within walking distanceGreat walks - Through the Mont Rochelle Nature ReserveLocal markets - The Franschhoek Market is moments away
This opulent six-room right along Franschhoek's pretty high street. Unmistakable, in its Cape Dutch style, this grown-up accommodation is a stone's throw away from some gourmet restaurants. Beautifully appointed rooms include pool views and plenty of space to relax - perhaps with a massage? See More
Leeu Estates Franschhoek (Western Cape) 20 rooms from £477Romantic Break - A popular honeymooner's destination Leeu estates includes indulgent rooms, spa and fine diningFoodies - Award winning wines paired with gourmet dishes - plus Franschhoek is a foodie's meccaGreat walks - Through the Franschhoek Valley and its beautiful fynbosRestrictions on children - Children above the age of six permitted
Located in the charming Franschhoek Valley, nestled amidst 68 acres of working vineyards lies one of South Africa's most luxurious new hotels. This elegant 19th century Manor House blends colonial and African interiors to great effect. Fine dining and fine wines complete the package. Divine. See More
La Residence, Franschhoek Franschhoek (Western Cape) 16 rooms from £782Restrictions on children - Children above the age of 12 are permitted.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Secluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A visual feast, everywhere you look the eye falls on some exotic antique or painting. Each unique suite is decorated in the colours and fabrics of a maharajah's palace, a miniature Versailles or a Moroccan harem. Utter indulgence continues right through to the dining and the award winning spa. See More