Search the best hotels in Paarl
Often overlooked, in favour of Stellenbosch and Franschhoek, 16th-century Paarl is a charming example of historic South Africa and has some fine examples of Cape-Dutch architecture. Surrounded by rolling blue mountains and vineyards as far as the eye can see, Paarl offers a far less touristy stay in the Western Cape. Originally colonized by the Dutch, it is still home to the Afrikaanse Taalmonument, as well as one of the country's oldest schools, Paarl Boys High School. Our collection of the best places to stay in Paarl showcase the finest hotels for romance, great value, foodies, and boutique lovers.
Lying along the banks of the Berg River, Paarl is the largest town amongst the Winelands', and boasts one of the longest high streets in the world! At 11 km long, it's a hike in itself. With plenty of excellent walking routes, as well as lots of beautiful hotels to stay and some award-winning restaurants, it's well worth a visit.
What not to miss
- When in Rome! Whether self-drive or with a registered tour group (Gary Flynn of Cape Discovery Tours is without exception the most reputable) take a tour of the Cape Winelands.
- Art lovers will adore Hout Street Gallery, showcasing works by both established and new South African artists.
- Foodies, don't miss the Windmeul Farmers' Market, on the first Saturday of every month. Not your usual farm stall set up, held at Windmeul Winery it showcases produce from some of the finest artisans in the Western Cape.
- So much more than just a vineyard, Fairview Estate have been making their own wine, cheese, and produce for centuries. Stop for lunch and some wine-tasting.
- If travelling during the first weekend of March, don't miss the Paarl Harvest Celebrations - an important fixture amongst what is still, a largely farming community.
- Don't miss out on lunch and a tour of the grounds at Babylonstoren, one of South Africa's most renowned restaurants. Remember to book ahead!
Our collection of the best places to stay in Paarl showcase the top picks of what this charming town has to offer.
The Best Places to stay in Paarl
For a great value stay
- With just five bedrooms, Madeliefie is a delightful owner-managed stay, with a chic French feel and afternoon tea.
- Stay on a working fruit farm at Goedemoed Farm - great for families and great value too.
For all-out luxury
- One of the Western Cape's most popular hotels, Babylonstoren is known for its seasonal dining and a superb spa. A once in a lifetime experience.
For a heritage stay
- A perfect example of Cape Dutch architecture, dating back to 1692, De Kleijne Bos Country House provides a great value heritage stay.
- Built-in the 17th-century, Diamant Estate's traditional thatched roof and colonial-style provides characterful period stay.
For a boutique stay
- With just five rooms, The Lighthouse Boutique Suites provides guests with the very best of a boutique stay - individually decorated rooms, lovingly prepared food, and tailor-made stay.
For a romantic stay
- A popular wedding venue, Nantes Estate is a very romantic setting.
- With rolling grounds, surrounded by vineyards, Cascade Manor is wonderful couples' retreat.
- If you want to rent self-drive to explore the Western Cape, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Cape Town International Airport is a 50-minute drive - taxis can be booked easily.
- Paarl enjoys a Mediterranean climate, hottest between December and January when temperatures reach the low thirties, and at its coolest between a pleasant 15°C - 20°C in June and July, when it is also at its wettest.
Still not sure?
- Widen the net to include our recommendations in nearby Stellenbosch, Franschhoek, or the Western Cape.
- Or contact one of our gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Paarl
Best Hotels in Paarl
De Kleijne Bos Country House Paarl 8 rooms from £42Country Escape - Traditional farmhouse accommodation in the heart of the Cape WinelandsSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolTraditionalViews - Great views from hotel
Dating back to 1692 this owner-managed country house is a fine example of rural Cape Dutch style. Brimming with original features: thatched rooves, exposed beams, and centuries-old tiles; it's an authentic stay. Relax by the pool, in its lush gardens, or with a locally sourced cheese platter! See More
Madeliefie Paarl 5 rooms from £50Value chic - Shabby chic interiors, excellently pricedFull of characterRomantic - Good for couples.Quirky - An experience!
Owner managed boutique B&B. Each of its five bedrooms is unique, providing French style shabby-chic interiors, decorated with soft pastels and floral motifs. A continental breakfast is served every morning accompanied with afternoon tea, plus there is excellent dining close by. Charming! See More
Goedemoed Farm Paarl 2 rooms from £57Value chic - An excellent value stay in a picturesque settingSights nearby - Afrikaans Language MonumentGreat walks - Up to Paarl MountainSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Diamant Estate Paarl 3 rooms from £83Country Escape - A traditional Cape Dutch style property surrounded by the rolling Paarl countrysideSights nearby - Take a drive up to Afrikaans Language MonumentSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolFull of character
Dating back to 1692 Diamant Estate is an excellent example of classic Cape Dutch style architecture. Rooms include plenty of original features: exposed beams, colourful tiles, and are filled with antique pieces. Dawid Kriel rustles up some gourmet dining options, with award-winning options nearby. See More
Nantes Estate Paarl 4 rooms from £104Romantic Break - Luxurious rooms and a setting worthy of a weddingLocal markets - Shop for local produce and sample award winning cuisine at BabylonstorenSights nearby - Take a drive up to the Afrikaans Language MonumentSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Romantic accommodation worthy of a wedding, it's no wonder Nantes Estate is popular with couples. Its four luxurious suites provide a stylish stay, with indoor-outdoor living in the form of sun-dappled terraces, leading onto an inviting pool. Relax amidst the surrounding vineyards and fine dining. See More
Cascade Manor Paarl 15 rooms from £111Country Escape - Surrounded by olive groves and vineyards - it's the perfect country stayGreat walks - Through the olive groves to the nearby waterfallSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolSpa
Housed in a grand country house, surrounded by olive groves. A luxurious stay set against the backdrop of the Drakensberg mountains. Each of its modern yet classically decorated rooms provide a comfortable stay. No restaurant, but a three-course dinner is served. All this plus a pool and spa. See More
The Lighthouse Boutique Suites Paarl 5 rooms from £251Country Escape - Located in the rolling Paarl countryside, this hotel provides a relaxing country escapeSights nearby - The charming towns of Franschhoek, Stellenbosch, Wellington, and many more are a scenic drive awaySwimming Pool - Outdoor poolTraditional
A family home turned lavish hotel is located in the heart of The Cape Winelands. Each of its five rooms is lovingly decorated with four-poster beds, quirky upholstery, and living areas in which you can unwind. There's an outdoor pool, manicured gardens, and fine dining. Excellent restaurants nearby. See More