Search the best hotels in Gansbaai
The place for shark-cage diving, a trip to Gansbaai is your best bet at spotting the majestic Great White in its natural habitat. A small town with friendly inhabitants, all well-versed in the marine life, the town's rugged coastline is overlooked by the Overberg mountains and Grootbos Nature Reserve beyond. It's a prime spot for wildlife, as well as the mighty sharks, you'll spot seals, penguins, and even blue whales. Our collection of the best places to stay in Gansbaai showcase the most comfortable abodes in this adrenaline-fuelled destination.
What not to miss
- It's what most travellers come here for: shark-cage diving. A safari like no other! Boats depart daily from Kleinbaai.
- Take a drive to the nearby village of De Kelders, a secluded spot for whale watching.
- Shark-spotting boat trips are a popular and slightly less terrifying past time; but for seasoned divers, diving with Great Whites is also possible.
- Take a boat out to Geyser and Dyer Islands to spot the seal and penguin colonies.
- Drive to Grootbos Nature Reserve, spectacularly situated on the fynbos and forest-clad hills that overlook the whale-watching haven of Walker Bay.
- Traverse the scenic coastal trail to Danger Point Lighthouse.
Our collection of the best places to stay in Gansbaai showcase the best places to stay in this adrenaline-filled coastal town.
The Best Places to stay in Gansbaai
For a stay amidst nature
- Surrounded by pristine fynbos and rolling hills. Grootbos Private Nature Reserve is a luxurious stay, within easy reach of the attractions of Gansbaai.
For an eco stay
- Sleek, modern eco-lodge set amidst the rugged terrain of Gansbaai, Farm 215 is a grown-up eco-stay.
For a B&B stay
- Right on the beach, with just three bedrooms Franskraal B&B is a perfect coastal stay.
- Family-run four-bedroom guesthouse, Sea Star Lodge is a very intimate stay.
For a family stay
- Laidback, with plenty of outdoor pursuits on offer, White Shark Guest House is a great stay in Gansbaai for all ages.
If you want to rent self-drive to explore the Western Cape, visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Cape Town International Airport is under two-hours' drive - taxis can be booked easily.
Best visited in the months of October-November and February-March, December and January can get very hot and dry. Whales can be spotted from June to December.
Still not sure?
Take a look at our top recommendations for The Garden Route.
Or contact one of our gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Gansbaai
Benguela Gansbaai 4 rooms from £61Value chic - Excellent value for a charming seaside stayDiving - Shark cage dining in Gansbaai is a mustSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
White Shark Guest House Gansbaai 6 rooms from £66Families - A great value family stay, within walking distance of the beach and local eateriesDiving - Shark Cage Diving Gansbaai departs from moments awayGreat walks - To the Dangerpoint Lighthouse, 5 km awaySeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
A casual yet inviting family-run guesthouse, this property is ideal for adventure seekers of all ages. Simple, stylish rooms look out across the Atlantic Ocean. A hearty breakfast is served each morning and you're within easy reach of several restaurants. Beautiful beaches are right on the doorstep. See More
Sea Star Lodge Gansbaai 4 rooms from £71Beach Life - Right on De Kelders beach, it's the ultimate coastal stayDiving - Shark Diving is one of the most popular activities in GansbaaiSights nearby - Klipgat Caves are worth a visitSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
Designed as a family home, this four-bedroom B&B still maintains a very homely feel. With modern interiors and colourful African flourishes, each of its rooms boasts stunning sea views. You're walking distance from the beach and there's plenty of excellent restaurants nearby. See More
Franskraal B&B Gansbaai (Western Cape) 3 rooms from £71Beach Life - A great value stay walking distance from the beachGreat walks - Excellent walking routes and treks - or simply down to the scenic harbour!Diving - Excellent shark cage diving tripsKayaking - Uilenkraals is under 1 km away
Farm 215 Gansbaai 5 rooms from £120Country Escape - Rural lodge surrounded by pristine 'bushveld' - for those who want to get away from it allSights nearby - Walker Bay is a favourite for whale watchingSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolSailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - I Escape
Get away from it all at this eco-chic retreat set within a private nature reserve. Far-reaching sea views, surrounded by native fynbos, its beautiful, rugged terrain is perfect for horse riding and walking. Each of the private suites boasts modern accommodation and total seclusion. See More
Grootbos Private Nature Reserve Gansbaai 27 rooms from £663Back to Nature - Surrounded by the rural beauty of the Gansbaai - perfect for wildlife drivesBirdwatching - There are over 100 species to tick off, including yellow-billed kite and black harrierSailing - Gansbaai Harbour is a prime spot for shark cage divingGreat walks - Guided walks through the nearby milkwood forestsRecommended by - I Escape
Luxurious lodge nestled amidst 2500 hectares of preserved coastal wilderness. Perfectly located between Cape Town and the Garden Route this lavish accommodation provides a stay amidst nature (and wildlife) within easy reach of town. Lavish room, sink-into baths, and fine dining: a winning choice. See More