- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Ciutadella
An old Spanish charmer with a picturesque port and a lovely old quarter, Ciutadella is frequently referred to as Vella i Bella ('old and beautiful') and most visitors would agree. There are plenty of treasures to uncover here in the narrow cobbled lanes, including palaces, ornate Baroque churches and a Gothic cathedral.There are also plenty of galleries, boutiques and nice cafes and restaurants. You'll also find some of the best places to stay in Ciutadella within these small lanes.
Before the British arrived, Ciutadella was the capital of Menorca and is still a bustling busy place, both commercially and culturally. In fact about 40% of the island's residents live here. Don't miss the fish market which occupies an elegant Modernist building.
Ciutadella is right on the island's far west, closest to Mallorca, which is probably why it was originally the capital, and on a clear day you can see all the way across to her sister island. This is a port city, so it doesn't have a beach though there are beaches just south along the coast.
What not to miss
- Make a stop by the bustling fish market for a sense of the daily city happenings.
- Take a stroll through the scenic Parc de la Ciutadella.
- Admire the intricate architecture of the Cathedral Basilica of Minorca.
- Head out south of the city and spend a relaxing day on the beach.
As with all the top Balearic destinations the best places to stay in Ciutadella are incredibly busy during the peak summer months. So either get organised and book early or come in Spring or Autumn when the crowds have gone, but the weather's still good.
The best places to stay in Cuitadella
For the old town
- The Hotel Tres Sants is a romantic little eight room hotel converted from a traditional manor house right in the old town by the cathedral. There are four poster beds, floaty linens and pastel colours throughout and the private balconies offer wonderful views out over the rooftops.
- Rifugio Azul is a charming guest house situated on a quiet street in the heart of the town of Ciutadella. Bedrooms are simple and colourful with terracotta tiled floors and exposed brick facades.
- The Home Hotel is a charming guest-house close to the Old Town. Find simple but stylish rooms with high ceilings, exposed wooden beams and terracotta floors.
- The homely, boutique property, Albranca Hotel features a terrace bursting full of fruit trees and accommodation in elegantly converted, 18th Century stables. Bedrooms are charmingly authentic yet with a modern style. Located near the town centre, there is lots to see and do nearby.
- 971 Con Encanto features white washed walls and exposed wooden beams - comfortable bedrooms with free WiFi and one self-catering apartment with lounge area and kitchenette. It comes at an excellent rate.
- The Cheap & Chic Hotel is a boutique guest house located on a quiet street just minutes walk from the town centre. Bedrooms have a contemporary feel - white washed walls, lots of natural light and modern art pieces.
For a boutique stay
The charming boutique Hotel Abril 37 is tucked away on a quiet street. Featuring a pretty courtyard garden - complete with vegetable patch and small orchard.
Just out of town
- The Hotel Rural Sant Ignasi is just outside Ciutadella, surrounded by the peace of the countryside and some exceptional views. Converted from an 18th Century manor house this hotel is filled with great antiques and curios and there's a pool and tennis courts on site.
- Biniatram is an eight room agriturismo offering both B&B and self catering accommodation on a lovely hillside just out of Ciutadella and about a mile from the beach. Rooms are simple and clean and there's a lovely pool - great value and plenty of local charm.
- The Hotel Rural Morvedra Nou is a beautifully restored 17th century home set in luscious flower-filled gardens with swimming pool, just a short drive from Ciutadella.
- A 16th century former castle is low key luxury. Minimal and muted decors allow its rustic beauty and natural furnishings to do the talking. Much of the fruit and vegetables at Hotel Can Faustino are grown on site and produce is local. There are two pools and sumptuous spa.
For an apartment or villa
- If you prefer a self catering property for your holiday then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Fly to either Menorca Airport or Mahon Airport located 47km from the city.
- The best time to visit is between May and October, when the weather is warm. The tourist season is between June and September yet it doesn't get as busy as neighbouring Mallorca.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Holiday Autos for the best prices.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Ciutadella
Hotel Can Faustino 24 rooms from $177Ciutadella
This 16th century former castle is low key luxury. Minimal and muted decors allow its rustic beauty and natural furnishings to do the talking with some rooms enjoying private balconies. Much of the fruit and vegetables are grown on site and produce is local. There are two pools and sumptuous spa.Diving - There are plenty of dive schools on the island and for the already certified try some of the more challenging cave dives.Sailing - 'Menorca en Barco' comes highly recommended for its group and private boat trips.Local markets - Good for local colour.Full of characterRecommended by - Tablet
971 Con Encanto 6 rooms from $72Ciutadella (Menorca)
White washed walls and exposed wooden beams - comfortable bedrooms with free WiFi and one self catered apartment with lounge area and kitchenette. Tucked away down a quiet, pedestrian street you feel a world away from the bustle of town - yet its sights and restaurants are within walking distance.Local exploring - Just 50m from Ciutadella Cathedral with bars and restaurants on your doorstepValue chic - Chic and modern accommodation at an inviting priceFishing - Fishing available nearbySights nearby - Cathedral of Minorca
Rifugio Azul 4 rooms from $74Ciutadella
A charming guest house situated on a quiet street in the heart of the seaside town of Ciutadella. Bedrooms are simple and colourful with terracotta tiled floors and exposed brick facades. Each have a small private terrace or balcony. Just a short walk from good restaurants and local shops.Local exploring - 200m from Cathedral of Minorca and walking distance from many more sightsDiving - Available with Dive Inn MenorcaPrivate Hot Tub - Private Balcony Spa BathLocal markets - Ses Voltes (The Arches)
Hotel Rural Morvedra Nou 19 rooms from $217Ciutadella (Menorca)
A beautifully restored 17th century home set in luscious flower-filled gardens with swimming pool, just a short drive from Ciutadella. Rustic chic rooms with terracotta tiled floors, exposed stone walls and beamed ceilings. Comfy communal lounge areas and authentic Menorcan cuisine.Local exploring - A great base for exploring Ciutadella and the surrounding area.Hideaway - Off the beaten track location perfect for a holiday away from the crowdsViews - The property benefits from both country and sea views.Sailing - Enjoy a sailing trip from nearby Ciutadella
HoMe Hotel 5 rooms from $91Ciutadella (Menorca)
A homely guest-house close to the Old Town. Simple but stylish rooms with high ceilings, exposed wooden beams and terracotta floors. No restuarant but there's a shared kitchen & charming patio terrace for outdoor dining. A short walk from the town centre with plenty to explore on the doorstep.Value chic - With doubles from just €80 per night including breakfast, it is excellent value for money.Local exploring - Situated right in the heart of Ciutadella, you can explore the town on foot.Sights nearby - You're right next door to the Old town, so there's lots to see on the doorstep.Local markets - Plaza del Mercat
Albranca Hotel 5 rooms from $102Ciutadella (Menorca)
Homely, boutique property with a terrace bursting full of fruit trees and accommodation in elegantly converted, 18th Century stables. Bedrooms are charmingly authentic yet with a modern style. Located near the town centre, there is lots to see and do nearby.Value chic - Traditional yet chic with an inviting priceGreat walks - Explore 'Camí de Cavalls', the round-island coastal pathKayaking - Hire kayaks and explore hidden beachesSailing - Charter a catamaran for the day
Cheap & Chic Hotel 7 rooms from $72Ciutadella (Menorca)
A boutique guest house located on a quiet street just minutes walk from the town centre. Bedrooms have a contemporary feel - white washed walls, lots of natural light and modern art pieces. Unfussy accommodation with plenty of restaurants and bars on your doorstep.Local exploring - Right in the heart of town it is easily accessible on footValue chic - The clue is in the name: a stylish stay at a great priceLocal markets - Spend a morning sauntering around the town's marketsKayaking - Hire kayaks to see hidden sea caves
Hotel Abril 37 8 rooms from $86Ciutadella (Menorca)
A charming boutique guest house tucked away on a quiet street. Relax and enjoy the courtyard garden - complete with vegetable patch and small orchard. There is also a cosy communal lounge area where coffee and pastries can be ordered. Bedrooms are bright, and decorated in a modern minimalist style.Value chic - Great accommodation for a low priceTotal relaxation - Adults only hotelKayaking - Have a guided kayak tour to find hidden beachesFishing - Spend a day deep sea fishing
Hotel Tres Sants 8 rooms from $171Ciutadella de Menorca
A gorgeous little hotel in the old town near the Cathedral. A traditional manor house with romantic rustic rooms. Pastel painted walls, four poster beds, floaty linens and private balconies with views over rooftops. Lovely breakfast room, library and hot tub. Full of character, excellent value.Value chicRomantic BreakSights nearby - In the heart of the Cuitadella's old town. Close to the Episcopal palace. Only 150m from the portViews - Great views across the city from the roof terraceRecommended by - I Escape
Hotel Rural Sant Ignasi 25 rooms from $130Ciudadela, Menorca
Hidden gem situated deep in the coutryside between Ciudadella and the coast. Tastefully Restored 18th century manor house filled with rustic antiques. Wonderful food, plus swimming pool and tennis court on site. Perfect for a country escape, yet close to civilization if you need it.Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor Pool
Biniatram 8 rooms from $109Ciutadella de Menorca
Family owned agriturismo offering both B&B and self catering accommodation. Countryside location just a mile from the beach at Cala Morell and close to Ciutadella too. Simple clean rooms, plus lovely outdoor pool. The perfect place for a spot of authentic local charm.Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolFull of characterTraditionalBack to Nature