- ✓ Book Now
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Mahon
Mahón sits at the top of the world's second largest natural harbour, a whole 5kms from the harbour mouth and the sea. And it's very pretty. Much of the architecture shows its British influence - the British made this the capital in the 18th Century, so there's a lot of Georgian around, but in brighter, Mediterranean shades with bright sash windows. Some of these lovely old mansions are now the best places to stay in Mahón.
Menorca's southern edge tends to have the island's better beaches, in the form of sandy stretches interspersed with jagged bits and dotted with interesting Moorish-Mediterranean architecture. While Mahón doesn't have any beach of its own, it's pretty close to some lovely options. And, as the island's capital, it's got a lot else going for it.
There are plenty of pavement cafes, and lots of activity along the sparkling blue harbour, so this is a great place to relax and soak up the laid-back local atmosphere. There are also some interesting museums and several quite special churches.
The Hotel Guru's pick of the best places to stay in Mahón range from unassuming pads in the centre of town to grander converted manor houses just outside.
If you're coming in the busy summertime then be sure to book ahead as the best places to stay in Mahón get quickly booked up.
What Not To Miss
- Whilst there are plenty of beaches around Mahón, we particularly recommend Cala'n Porter. With beautiful turquoise waters, an idyllic setting and generally not too busy, it's the idea spot to soak up the sun for the day or head out swimming in the sea.
- La Mola de Menorca, aka The Fortress of Isabel II, was built in 1850 and offers stunning views of the island. This wonderful example of 19th century military architecture is made all the more interesting if you head around with an audio guide, shedding light on its rich past.
- Seafood lovers must head round the bustling Mercat do Pescados, full of seafood stalls and as well as a number of places to stop by and pick up tapas-style dishes.
- Xoriguer Gin Factory is a great place to stop by - offering tasting sessions of a wide variety of their gins, as well as the chance to have an in-depth look at their distillation process.
For central location
- Jardi de ses Bruixes is a charming town house conversion. Rooms are chic with spacious bathrooms and there's a gorgeous courtyard garden.
- In the centre of Mahon you'll also find the Hotel Petit Mao. There are six pretty rooms plus the added bonus of a small garden and plunge pool.
- Hotel Can Roca Nou boasts five simple but elegant whitewashed rooms, starting from just £70 per night. Easy access to both the beach and the town make this an ideal base for a lovely holiday.
Just out of town
- Once a farmhouse surrounded by olive groves and gardens, Sant Joan de Binissaida is now a charming 12 room hotel - still surrounded by the olives and gardens. There's a pool, but you're quite close to the beach too, and there's a Michelin starred menu based on the great classics of Mediterranean gastronomy.
- The Biniarroca Country House Hotel is another old farmhouse converted into a small hotel. This 16th Century charmer now has 18 stylish bedrooms, delightful gardens, a pool and a good menu. It's also adults only.
For great value
- Casa Alberti is a traditional guesthouse in the old part of town with a choice of rooms, suites and an apartment which sleeps four. Rooms start from less than £70 per night and there's a charming breakfast courtyard.
- Son Granot is just along the bay from Mahón, a striking manor house with wonderful views out to sea and lush gardens. There are eight rooms and suites - some of them very romantic, with four poster beds and private balconies, plus there's an excellent restaurant. All this starting from only £71 per night.
- Binissafullet Vell is a secluded eight room spot set in a rural location. Offering unfussy traditional accommodation from £69 per night and an outdoor pool, it's a top budget break.
- Barcelo Hamilton Menorca, excellently located in Mahón's harbour, offers chic contemporary accommodation as well as two pools, a spa and a lovely restaurant. An adults only property, it's perfect for romantic getaways.
- The rural Son Tretze B&B is an intimate grown up stay, providing eight rustic chic bedrooms and an outdoor pool. What's more, you're just five minutes away from the beach.
- Alcaufar Vell, situated just outside Sant Lluis, boasts simple yet stylish stone-walled accommodation which all feature whirlpool baths. Tuck into terrific Mediterranean meals from the restaurant.
- Torralbenc provides a collection of contemporary minimalist farmhouses with an understated class and plenty of light hues. Given that there's an award-winning chef, a spoiling spa and superb views, it's got all the ingredients for a top romantic retreat.
For An Apartment Or Villa
If you think you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Weather-wise, you're best off visiting in the summer - the average daily temperature climbs to 25°C in August. Be warned though that June till October is peak season, so expect there to be a fair few tourists around and for accommodation to be on the pricier side of things.
- Guests can fly into Mahon Airport, located 4.5km southwest of the island's capital. From there, either hop in a cab or on a bus towards your final destination.
- Easyjet offer direct flights from London Gatwick, Luton and Southend. Jet2 go from Stansted, Thomas Cook from Gatwick and British Airways from Heathrow and London City.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Holiday Autos.
Still not sure which to book?
Best Hotels in Mahon
Binissafullet Vell 8 rooms from $88Mahon
Set in a peaceful garden with swimming pool, this secluded hotel offers an escape from the coastal crowds. The bedrooms have a traditional feel - with exposed beams and tiled floors. Enjoy meals at the hotel or take a short drive to the nearby seaside town of Mahon. A great value stay.Hideaway - Tranquil gardens, inviting pool, away from the hustle and bustle of townValue chic - Traditional accommodation and a welcoming stay all at a great priceKayaking - Hire kayaks to explore island cavesGreat walks - Explore the famous Cami de Cavalls
Hotel Can Roca Nou 5 rooms from $90Mahon (Menorca)
Located just five mins from Mahon's bustling port, this hotel has five simple rooms and suites, elegantly decorated with white washed walls, large comfortable beds and en suite bathrooms with all mod cons. Ideal for those who like to combine a beach and city break and excellent value for money.Local exploring - Situated in the centre of Mahon, so you can easily explore the city on footValue chic - Stylish rooms start from as little as €79 per night including breakfast.Fishing - Arrange a deep sea fishing tripSights nearby - Iglesia del Carmen
Hotel Petit Mao 6 rooms from $97Menorca
Unassuming from the outside, on the inside this petit hotel is a homely haven. Rooms are all individually decorated: white walls contrasting with retro fabrics and furnishings. Its pool and garden are small but perfectly formed. Only breakfast is served but town is but an e-bike ride away!Sights nearby - The Santa Maria and Carmelite Convent Church are within walking distanceLocal markets - For local produce go to Mercado de PescadoesSailing - Can be booked nearby.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - I Escape
Casa Alberti 6 rooms from $103Mahón, Menorca
A lovely traditional guesthouse in the oldest part of Mahon. Rooms, suites and an apartment (sleeps 4) are simply decorated with white washed walls and large comfy beds. Charming breakfast courtyard and close to beaches and attractions. A great value choice for a family.Great walks - Good for walkers.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - CN Traveller
Barcelo Hamilton Menorca 154 rooms from $103Mahon (Menorca)
An adults only hotel in the natural harbour of Mahon. Fantastic wellness facilities on offer with two outdoor swimming pools, a number of hydro hot tubs, a small spa and a fitness suite. Bedrooms are spacious with a contemporary, elegant feel. A relaxation resort with nearby bars and restaurants.Romantic Break - Chic and modern adults only accommodation with spa, hot tubs and poolsTotal relaxation - Spa, fine dining and easy beach accessSwimming Pool - Two outdoor swimming poolsRestrictions on children - Over 17s only
Son Granot 8 rooms from $111Es Castell, Menorca
A strikingly noble manor house with views out to sea and surrounded by lush greenery. Romantic rooms and suites, all creamy in colour, have four poster beds and balconies. Excellent restaurant, pool, and hotel services (boat hire, riding etc). A great choice for a family holiday.Beach LifeViews - Great views over Mahon harbourSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolFour poster beds - For romantics.
Biniarroca Country House Hotel 18 rooms from $149Sant Lluis, Menorca
16th century farmhouse converted to provide boutique accommodation, just outside the village of Sant Luis. Stylish rooms, delicious food either grown on site or locally sourced and delightful gardens. A beautiful pool set in a flower filled courtyard. A spoiling, adults only retreat.Hideaway - A picturesque and peaceful adults only country abode, nestled amongst bougainvillea filled gardens with a charming pool.Sights nearby - Near to the British fort of Marlborough, the cove of San Esteban and several archaeological sites like Trepucó and Trebalúger.Restrictions on children - Adults onlySwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Fodors
Sant Joan de Binissaida 12 rooms from $163Es Castell, Menorca
Experience Mediterranean gourmet delights at this renovated farmhouse. Relax and unwind surrounded by olive groves and gardens, bask by the pool, and get involved with all the surrounding activities. A destination for foodies and families.Foodies - Delicate cuisine based on the great classics of Mediterranean gastronomy - fresh fish and organic vegetables from the garden.Restaurant - Michelin-star menu.FamiliesSwimming Pool - Outdoor Pool in GardensRecommended by - Tablet, Johansens
Jardi de ses Bruixes 8 rooms from $229Menorca
This picture perfect blue and white fronted town house is as beautiful on the inside as it is on the outside. Its traditional exterior houses chic, magnolia rooms and spacious bathrooms with modern fittings. Breakfast is served daily and Mao town, with plenty of sights and eateries, is a short walk.Sights nearby - Mao town's Santa Maria church and the Carmelite Convent and Church are walking distanceSailing - Head to the bustling harbour where daily boat trips departLocal markets - Mercado de Pescadoes for local produceFull of characterRecommended by - I Escape, Fodors