- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Matarraña
Matarraña is bordered by Catalonia and Valencia and encompasses the Matarraña River Basin, a region of particular beauty. Dotted with pretty towns, Matarraña is a wonderful place to escape to if you're looking for quiet and plenty of rural charm. But some of the best places to stay in Matarraña are spectacularly set in the middle of nowhere.
Valderrobres is the region's central town, and it's a pretty one too, but there are another 18 to choose from, dotted along the Matarraña and Tastavins rivers. The amount of water in the region means theres's plenty of farming going on, and this region produces some excellent Olive Oil and cured ham. It's also great for peaches, lamb and wine grapes. And a farming region is always a foodie region too.
Matarraña is a great region for walkers too. Strolling between historic towns is always nice, but there are also the mountains of the Puertos de Beceite to explore. And if you prefer two wheels to two legs Matarraña has La Via Verde, a dismantled railway route converted into a 100kms long bike path between the town of Alcaniz and the Mediterranean.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Matarranya vary from a charming traditional hotel in a historic town to an avant-garde designer pad in the hills.
For a rural retreat
- La Torre Del Visco is a wonderful secluded country house hotel surrounded by over 200 acres of land, including a working farm and a beautiful rose garden. The menu is superb - real farm-to-table stuff. Plus there's a large cellar and a games room.
- Set amongst vineyards, olive groves and poppy fields, the Hotel Cresol is a great little property with a lovely garden and an excellent restaurant. Rooms have stone walls, exposed beams and clean, white furnishings.
On a budget
- The Hotel Villa de Cretas is a lovely little hotel in a historic town. Its rooms are traditional - think exposed brickwork - but the bathrooms are modern, and there's a bar, a library and a restaurant serving great local food.
- Mas de la Serra also has a wonderful location, but this time its amongst mountains, valleys and gorges with panoramic views. Rooms are rustic and light, and fabulous Peruvian style meals are served on the terrace. There are eight rooms, starting from £79 per night, and it's very family friendly.
For something different!
- Consolacion is a uniquely modern designer hotel in the Matarraña hills. The views are amazing, from 12 cube-like rooms which feel like their own little villas. As well as an excellent modern restaurant, which also runs its own foodie workshops, there's a chapel and a 'library' called el garage.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Matarraña for you? Browse though our list of all the best places to stay in Matarraña, or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice. Alternatively widen the net and check out all our recommendations in Aragon.
Best Hotels in Matarraña
Hotel Villa de Cretas 12 rooms from $82Matarraña
A lovely little hotel in a historic town. Traditional rooms blend the rustic and contemporary, with muted colour schemes, exposed brick work and modern bathrooms. Bar, library and authentic Spanish cuisine. A great choice from which to explore the historic towns and villages of the region.Local exploring - Explore the historic town of Cretas: Church of the Assumption, Portal of San Roque, walking tours, dining treats of the regionSights nearby - Valderrobres, The Fresneda, Beceite, Calaceite, Rafeles, Penyarroya of Tastavins, River Matarrana, Ports of Tortosa beceiteSwimming Pool - At nearby hotelBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.
Mas de la Serra 8 rooms from $103Fuentespalda, Aragón
A charming hotel in a stunning location; mountain, river, valley, gorge. Fantastic panoramic views of the surrounding sierra. Rustic romantic rooms have wooden beams, stone walls, lots of natural light. Fabulous Peruvian dinners from terraces, huge pool, and very family friendly. Wow!Views - Panoramic views of the surrounding sierra.Active HolidayFamiliesOutstanding location - A beautiful location surrounded by mountain, river, valley, gorge, and still close to the beach.Recommended by - I Escape
Hotel Cresol 6 rooms from $103Teruel, Aragón
A fabulous little hotel set in an architectural landscape of poppy fields, olive groves, and vineyards. A traditional building with contemporary classic rooms and suites. Stone walls, wooden beams, clean white furnishings. Lovely garden and excellent little restaurant. Perfect for local exploring.Sights nearby - There are many peaceful chapels to visit in the region.Birdwatching - Birdwatching at "Mas de Buñol".Traditional
Consolacion 12 rooms from $125Aragon, Matarraña
A designer hotel in Mataranna hills. Ultra-modern rooms are slick with slate, sunken baths, terraces and fireplaces. Outstanding traditional cuisine. Stunning pool, gardens, library, bar and 'garage' area for reading or relaxing. An utterly sleek affair for a countryside weekend.Hideaway - An as yet undiscovered region. The pod-like rooms feel utterly secluded, with views over pine forests and Matarrana mountainsFoodies - Excellent restaurant; nine different types of food workshops; from terrines, truffles, chocolate and tapasCooking classes - Variety of courses available in hotel kitchenDesigner - Alvar Aalto furnitureRecommended by - Tablet
La Torre Del Visco 14 rooms from $206Aragón
Gorgeous country house hotel. Interiors feature antique furniture, contemporary Spanish art and stone walls. Over 200 acres of rose gardens, working farm, terrace, games room and large cellar. Superb farm-to-table menu. Secluded, peaceful and very pretty.Foodies - Farm to table ethos of the restaurant, and guests can accompany on mushroom foraging, cookery classes and wine tasting eventsGreat walks - Country walk through our river valley to the nearby village of RáfalesCooking classes - Mushroom foraging and cookery classes in the hotel kitchenSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux