Search the best hotels in Chateau d'Oex
About Chateau d'Oex
Nestling in the Pays d'Enhaut landscape and sitting 1000m above sea level, Chateau d'Oex is a great place to go for a skiing or hiking holiday. Boasting hot air balloon facilities, access to 40km of slopes and a fascinating folk art museum, it is Alpine bliss. Ideal for families and couples alike, the best places to stay in Chateau d'Oex are charmingly traditional.
Unlike many of the resorts in the region, Chateau d'Oex still retains its authentic charm. Old timbered Alpine lodges line the streets and locals still proudly practise their age-old customs. The art of silhouette cutting, for example, is a popular activity here and has been practiced since the 18th century, examples of which you can see in the Pays d'Enhaut Museum. The town is also home to Etivaz cheese, a cheese delicately made in cauldrons over open wood fires.
As for winter activities, there is much to choose from. With access to the Le Braye ski region, the town sits besides 7 ski lifts and visitors have access to 40km of pistes while the high plateau of Les Lecherette is very popular with cross-country skiers. If you're feeling adventurous, be sure to book a hot air balloon ride because this is the heart of hot air ballooning in Switzerland and is where, every January, the International Hot Air Balloon Festival takes place.
During the summer, bikers and hikers are spoilt for choice. Le Pierreuse, the largest nature reserve in western Switzerland is a short walk away, teeming with fens, forests and flowers; as for cycling, the signposted tracks from the 199 World Championships remain nearby. Fancy getting a bit wet? Book a session of white water rafting or canoeing on the River Saane!
What not to miss
- Book a hot air balloon ride.
- Go off-piste at Les Lecherette, on the high plateau of Les Mosses.
- Check out the Pays d'Enhaut Museum to immerse yourself in local folk art!
- Cycle on the signposted 1997 World Championship tracks.
- Feeling brave? Head to the River Saane for a spot of white water rafting!
- Hike through La Pierreuse, the largest nature reserve in western Switzerland.
A picturesque Alpine village that still retains its traditional rustic charm. Browse through our collection of the best places to stay in Chateau d'Oex to find out more!
The best places to stay in Chateau d'Oex
- Hotel Ermitage: a charming lodge with quaint rooms boasting sublime mountain views, adorned with exposed wooden beams and private balconies. Regional fare is served on request. A fantastic choice for young families!
For an apartment or chalet
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- Fly to Geneva, get a train to Montreux and then get a connection to Chateau d'Oex.
- If you want to rent a car we recommend you contact our partner Rentalcars.
- If you want to ski, go between January and February - it is a far warmer climate in Chateau d'Oex than in other resorts - the temperature ranging between 0 and 6 degrees; during the summer, it averages at around 18 degrees.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include our collection in Gstaad.
- Browse through the best places to stay in Switzerland.
- Or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Chateau d'Oex
Best Hotels in Chateau d'Oex
Hotel Ermitage, Chateau d'Oex Chateau d'Oex 12 rooms from £113Active Holiday - Hike, ski or cycle; the mountains are on your doorstep waiting to be explored.Skiing - Located just 800 m from the La Braye Ski Lift.Views - Great views from hotelTraditional