Search the best hotels in Interlaken
Interlaken is situated in the Bernese Oberland region of the Swiss Alps and can boast some of the most dazzling scenery in Switzerland, if not further afield! It's a popular destination being the main transport gateway to both mountains and lakes, serving as a kind of base camp for adventure sports enthusiasts of all sorts, and is one of the oldest tourist resorts in Switzerland. But it's not all hostels and cheap hotels, the best places to stay in Interlaken provide you with comfort and the highest of Swiss standards.
Mainly German-speaking and at an altitude of nearly 2,000 feet, the original village grew up around the Monastery in the twelfth century. The local economy remained based on agriculture until the 1800s and the advent of tourism. Initially, Interlaken became a destination for Swiss landscape artists, and festivals of Swiss culture were held here in 1805 and 1808.
The town sits between the lakes Thun and Brienz (hence its name!). Steamship tours along these lakes began in the 1830s and lake cruises are still a very popular activity today - though not in steamships! In 1859 an elegant spa, the ‘Kursaal’ was established. The railway arrived in 1872 and with it hotels and development.
Interlaken lies at the feet of the Jungfrau mountain region; featuring the iconic peaks of the Jungfrau, Monch and Eiger. Take a train on the mountain railway to Jungfraujoch, which at 11,300 feet is the highest point in Europe accessible by train, and marvel at the views.
Interlaken is the perfect base for outward bound types of all persuasions, from skiing to hiking to skydiving to mountain biking - the list and the possibilities are endless. The town itself has a popular main street the ‘Hoheweg’ where you'll find a good range of shops, restaurants, cafes etc. It's a buzzy place to be and summer sees a raft of events every year from musical shows, to theatrical performances, exhibitions and much more.
The best places to stay in Interlaken are busy year round, so if you're planning a visit, don't leave it to the last minute to book.
What Not To Miss
- Hike up the to the Harder Kulm Restaurant and enjoy a well-deserved meal whilst you bask in the magnificent views.
- Wander around Hohematte Park with the family and enjoy a picnic in a peaceful spot.
- Enjoy a trip around the Lake on a jet boat for something a little more adrenaline-fuelled!
The best places to stay in Interlaken
- Period on the outside, but decidedly smart and modern on the inside, Hotel Interlaken is an ideal choice for a central location. Come for stylish accommodation and excellent food in the elegant restaurant.
- The Hotel Beau Site offers traditionally elegant accommodation and wonderful mountain views. And the restaurant comes highly recommended for its regional specialities and good wine list.
- Money no object? Then book the Victoria Jungfrau Grand Hotel & Spa. It's an opulent Grand-Dame with parquet flooring, traditionally luxurious decor, charming gardens and a superb spa which specialises in anti-ageing treatments!
For nearby Wengen
- Hotel Beausite Park offers comfortable rooms right on the nursery slopes. Come back after a long day sightseeing to relax in the sauna or pool.
- Hotel Schonegg, set in one of Wengen's oldest houses, is a boutique stay that's bound to impress. The accommodation is typically Alpine in style, whilst there are all the modern amenities that you need, and the restaurant is utterly fabulous.
- Boasting a fabulous location, Caprice Hotel offers divine views and comfortable rooms with plenty of wooden décor. Enjoy homely Swiss cuisine and relax in the sauna after a day on the slopes.
For an apartment or villa
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Fly into Zurich Airport, Bern Airport, or Geneva Airport before taking the train across to Interlaken.
- If you're here to hike and enjoy the beautiful countryside then visit in the summer when the temperature rises to 19°C in July.
- However, if you fancy skiing then your best bet is to visit between December and March.
- If you plan to see more of the area then hire a car with Rentalcars.
Nothing here that fits the bill?
Best Hotels in Interlaken
Hotel Beau Site 50 rooms from £146Interlaken
An elegant alpine property boasting gorgeous views of the surrounding Alps. Traditionally styled rooms feature parquet flooring, crisp white linen and large windows. A smart restaurant serves superb regional cuisine complete with an excellent wine list. The ideal base for active holidays.Active Holiday - With easy access to the surrounding mountains this is the perfect base for an outdoor holiday.Sights nearby - Visit Harder Kulm for gorgeous views of the surrounding lakes and mountains.Sailing - Take a romantic boat cruise on either Lake Thun or Lake Brienz.Full of character
Hotel Interlaken 61 rooms from £153Interlaken
A 4 star hotel located in the heart of Interlaken. Smart rooms mix traditional charm with contemporary style: think white washed walls, parquet flooring and pine furniture. An elegant restaurant and atmospheric lounge serve up superb cuisine. Easy access to the Alps. Highly recommended.Active Holiday - Interlaken is perfectly situated to access the surrounding mountains and all the activities they offer.Sights nearby - Visit the fairytale like Interlaken Castle.Views - Great views from hotelTraditional
Victoria Jungfrau Grand Hotel & Spa 224 rooms from £351Interlaken
An elegant grand hotel and spa with an enviable location positioned between two lakes. Luxury rooms feature floor to ceiling windows, antique furniture and plenty of space. Pick from a choice of excellent bars and restaurants. The established spa specialises in health and anti-ageing. Fabulous.Active Holiday - The surrounding mountains offer a great selection of outdoor pursuits.Spa breaks - The expansive Spa Nescens is an expert in anti-ageing techniques.Sailing - Take a cruise between Thun and Interlaken and view castles set against a backdrop of the mountains.Swimming Pool - Indoor and outdoor pool.