- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Wengen
High up in the Alps, on a plateau below both the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau, perches Wengen, one of the most charming, and traditional, ski resorts in Switzerland. The beauty of this spot has been attracting skiers since Edwardian times, and of all Switzerland's resorts, this car-free, chalet-rich spot has been least changed by fashions. So the best places to stay in Wengen are some of the most excellent examples of chocolate-box perfect traditional Swiss chalets imaginable.
Wengen is part of the Jungfrau ski area, along with Mürren and Grindelwald, but it's the quietest hamlet, probably because you can only reach the town by train. Its ski schools have long and respected reputations - the nursery slopes are just above the town - so this is a great resort for families.
Wengen is connected to the rest of the ski areas by its cog railway, built in 1910. Ok, it's not quite that traditional, but the railway is part of the transport system, with cable cars and lifts leading up from railway stations. But there are plenty of runs around the Wengen if you don't want to travel, and an epic amount of runs in the whole Jungfrau region if you're here for a while - and what variety!
Wengen's aprés ski is another traditional aspect of this resort, there are a lot of regular visitors and British skiers who consider Wengen a second home, and there are clubs and restaurants and bars and regular events. Nothing too colourful, but very friendly. Wengen is a smart resort rather than a glamourous one.
Wengen is also a good spot for trying other winter sports: skating? Bobsleigh? Dog sledding?
The biggest event in Wengen's calendar is the annual Lauberhorn Downhill Ski Race, which happens in mid-January. The best downhill racers reach speeds of around 160kms per hour on this steep black run. Spectators can have a go on the number of black runs in the area, though the less brave might prefer the excitement of the nearby blues or reds.
You might find yourself too busy on the slopes, but if you're at all interested in photography, or mountainous terrain, then it's definitely worth taking the train up to Jungfraujoch, Europe's highest railway station. It's an incredible trip, through tunnels under tonnes of rock, past the north face of the Eiger, and the Eismeer ice sea, but the view from the top, of a bristling sea of glaciers ringed by black peaks, is bucket-list worthy.
What Not To Miss
- Head up Wengen Mannlichen Aerial Cableway to enjoy beautiful views of the surrounding area.
- Or, for something more action-packed consider visiting Airtime Paragliding in nearby Lauterbrunnen.
- If you enjoy a nice après-ski then definitely visit Rocks Bar.
The best places to stay in Wengen
- The Hotel Bellevue des Alpes is a historic grand dame of the Swiss Alps with unbeatable views of the Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau. Traditional, yet still very family friendly, this hotel has been owned and run by the same family since the 19th-century - it's the perfect match to Wengen as a resort.
- The Hotel Beausite Park is right by the nursery slopes, so it's definitely one of the best places to stay in Wengen for families. Kids will also love the pool, and parents the sauna and gym. And those are all pretty new!
- Hotel Schonegg, set in one of Wengen's oldest houses, is a boutique stay that's bound to impress. The accommodation is typically Alpine in style, whilst there are all the modern amenities that you need, and the restaurant is utterly fabulous.
- Boasting a fabulous location, Caprice Hotel offers divine views and comfortable rooms with plenty of wooden décor. Enjoy homely Swiss cuisine and relax in the sauna after a day on the slopes.
For nearby Murren
- Hotel Alpenruh is a good value option in the centre of town, located just a short distance away from the many local activities on offer, and right beside the Schilthorn Cableway - so very easy access to the slopes. Their spacious and comfortable rooms offer great views whilst there's also a sauna and a top restaurant.
- Blumental Hotel boasts typically Alpine-style accommodation in a chalet style. Located right in the centre of town and set amidst beautiful gardens, guests also receive free access to the public ice rink during the winter.
- Hotel Jungfrau is a family-run hotel with light and spacious rooms, a restaurant, swimming pool and all mod cons. Its balconies and terrace enjoy panoramic views over the valley, there are apartments which are perfect for families or larger groups, and it's bang next door to the ski school.
- The Hotel Bellevue is a charming Alpine-style hotel right in the centre of Murren. The rooms are pretty and the views of the Eiger, Monch and Jungfrau are stunning.
- Hotel Eiger, Murren is an upmarket choice, with lovely bedrooms and uber modern bathrooms as well as two restaurants to choose from. Come back after a long day out to unwind in their wellness centre and feel utterly rejuvenated!
- Aspen Alpine Lifestyle is a contemporary stay with a range of pleasing accommodation featuring plenty of wooden influences. Wonderful views and extensive spa facilities.
- Set in a lovely location, Hotel Belvedere, Grindelwald features contemporary rooms overlooking the surrounding mountains. Tuck into lovely meals in the gourmet restaurant after a long day on the slopes.
- Hotel Spinne is located right in the centre of town, with easy access to the Eiger. Stay in smart accommodation with Alpine-chic interiors and enjoy hearty cuisine from their two restaurants.
- Hotel Eiger, Grindelwald boasts warm, comforting rooms that are decorated in a contemporary manner with plenty of pine furniture. Holistic meals served up in their four restaurants, and there's also a lovely wellness centre.
- Hotel Alte Post, Grindelwald is a more traditional choice which boasts charming pine-clad rooms and French windows with splendid mountain views. With a small spa and traditional fare served up, it's a lovely all-round stay.
For an apartment
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- If you're coming to ski then visit from December to March. However, if you want to head off hiking around the area then visit in the summer - the average temperature rises to 17°C in July.
- Fly into Zurich Airport or Bern Airport before taking the train to Interlaken and then on to Wengen.
- If you'd like to explore more of the area then consider hiring a car with Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Wengen
Caprice Hotel 20 rooms from £161Wengen
In a great location, this beautiful hotel offers superb views from private balconies whilst rooms feature natural wooden décor. Homely Swiss cuisine is served whilst the half-board option includes a three course gourmet dinner. The sauna is particularly inviting after a day on the slopes.Skiing - Very close to the railway station for direct access up to Kleine ScheideggLocal exploring - In a most central location, close to the ski slopes and hiking trailsFull of characterViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Hotel Alpenrose, Wengen 40 rooms from £218Wengen
An historic hotel with mind blowing views of the surrounding mountains. Rooms are plush yet maintain the traditional Alpine-style with fireplaces and antique furnishings. Meals are half board and include fantastic vegetarian options. A cosy spot to unwind after a day on the slopes or outdoors.Local exploring - Located in the quieter part of the village, a good base to explore the surrounding town and countryside.Back to Nature - In a beautiful remote village with exceptional views of the snow-capped peaks in Lauterbrunnen.Skiing - Wengen's fame as a top resort goes back years! Ski storage is provided.Great walks - There are several trails to mountains, lakes, waterfalls and caves from the hotel.
Hotel Beausite Park 42 rooms from £250Wengen
Comfortable hotel right beside the nursery slopes, in a quiet area just above the village centre with fabulous views over the Jungfrau. Brand new spa facilities with pool, sauna and gym. Great for couples and families alike.SkiingViews - Superb views of the Jungfrau and surrounding alpsSwimming Pool - Outdoor and Indoor PoolSpa
Hotel Bellevue des Alpes 50 rooms from £276Wengen (Kleine Scheidegg)
Historic grand dame of the Swiss Alps overlooking the iconic Eiger. Family owned & run since the late 19th century & steeped in the culture of mountaineering & wintersports. Comfortable & traditional throughout - certainly not one for those wanting to be in the thick of the action.Climbing - Situated at the foot of the EigerSkiingViews - Unbeatable views of the Eiger, Monch & JungfrauFull of character
Hotel Schonegg 20 rooms from £277Wengen (Dorfstrasse)
One of the oldest houses in Wengen, this boutique hotel offers its guests all the comfort and charm of a mountain home. Chic rooms with wooden frames and stone walls come fully equipped with modern amenities like TV's and jacuzzis. The award winning restaurant serves fantastic Swiss cuisine.Hideaway - Perfect for a weekend away from it all, cosy suites, fantastic food, pampering sauna and long evenings by the fire.Families - The Family Rooms and the Jungfrau Suite are ideal for a family of two adults and two children.Active Holiday - There are a plethora of activities - go out for excursions, biking, climbing or skiing.Full of character