Search the best hotels in Aberdeenshire
Aberdeenshire, the rich and fertile county nestling on the northeast of Scotland, is a region both steeped in history and wild natural beauty. Ideal for a romantic weekend away or an adventurous family holiday, it is the perfect place to escape the mania and bustle of modern life: whether you're spotting dolphins along the long stretches of sandy coastline, exploring ruined clifftop castles or hiking through the rugged Grampians Mountains, you will find yourself at peace amidst the unspoilt and dramatic scenery. Our collection of the best places to stay in Aberdeenshire offers something for everyone from chic value stays to utter luxury.
To the west of the region lies sweeping rich farmland peppered with lowly craggy hills, largely in the shadow of the looming Grampian Mountains; to the east lies the Buchan coastline, full of rugged cliffs and long stretches of sandy beaches dotted with quaint and picturesque fishing villages. A fertile and wealthy region in the Highlands, Aberdeenshire is famed for its Aberdeen Angus beef cattle, but one of its greatest charms lies in its hiking trails. The Cairngorms National Park's savagely beautiful landscape is a must-see - teeming with lochs that mirror the sky and wild, dark patches of forestry. To the east, along the coastline, lies the St. Cyrus National Nature Reserve, a stunning world of blooming flora and untouched fauna.
As for history, Aberdeenshire brims with it. With over 263 castles in the region, it is an ideal destination for history buffs. Some castles, like Dunnottor in Stonehaven, should be on everyone's sightseeing list: a stark and haunting ruin sitting atop a clifftop, it was the inspiration for the Disney-Pixar film Brave. Others, like New Slains Castle - roofless and sinister - are fascinating to explore: built in the 16th century and subsequently rebuilt in the 19th century, it is dramatically set on a cliff facing the North Sea. It isn't surprising, really, that it was the inspiration for Dracula.
The area is home to some fascinating and idiosyncratic museums. The Peterhead Prison Museum is a must-see. Once known as "Scotland's Alcatraz", it is now a museum - albeit, a frightening one - and allows visitors to see how the prisoners lived.
Dolphin-spotting in Aberdeen is hugely popular with tourists: Aberdeen, the shining city of granite, is the best place to spot dolphins in the whole of Scotland, and you can watch them chase the leaping salmon from Torry Battery, by the sea.
Where to stay - which town?
- Banchory is a charming, quaint market town on the banks of the River Dee, and dominated by the stark Crathes Castle. A perfect rural getaway for couples.
- Aberdeen, the great granite city, is where you can enjoy anything from dolphin spotting and fish & chips to museums and a fantastic night out.
- Tarland is a small and rather beautiful village, surrounded by enchanting countryside. There's an Iron Age underground dwelling nearby and a stone circle, and the area is rumoured to have been the favourite haunt of a wizard. Great for history lovers!
- Braemar is a beautiful village near Balmoral, the summer residence of the Queen, and is dominated by a wonderfully elegant 17th century castle.
What not to miss
- Hike through the rugged and wild landscape of the Grampian Mountains.
- Go dolphin-spotting in Aberdeen.
- Visit the standing stones of either Kirkton of Bourtie or Tomnaverie, and marvel at the sublime passing of history.
- Learn how your ancestors lived at the Glenesk Folk Museum.
- Go salmon fishing in the River Dee, Dan or Deveron.
- Explore the haunting ruins of Dunnottor Castle, in Stonehaven.
- Go to the Peterhead Prison Museum, once "Scotland's Alcatraz" and see how the prisoners lived.
Aberdeenshire is a fascinating and beautiful part of Scotland famed for its beef, castles and mountains. The perfect place for a weekend away or a family holiday. Browse through our collection of the best places to stay in Aberdeenshire to start planning your trip.
The best places to stay in Aberdeenshire
Aberdeen city stay
- Malmaison Aberdeen is a reliable chic stay in a converted granite mansion close to the centre of town. Anyone familiar with the Malmaison brand will know that they can expect big comfy beds, satisfying power showers and sleek modern decor. Plus a buzzing bar and restaurant too.
- TorNaCoille: a lovely baronial house in Banchory, with elegant rooms adorned with luxurious beds and antique furniture. The restaurant serves hearty Scottish fare, locally-sourced.
- Lys-na-greyne: standing high above the River Dee, boasting spellbinding views of the countryside, offering plush and modern rooms with spacious luxurious bathrooms. Ideal if you've come to fish, it is also a great place to unwind.
- Douneside House: in the heart of Royal Deeside, this beautiful country house is the quintessential country retreat. Intimate and offering sumptuous cuisine, it is the perfect place for couples looking for romance and quiet.
- The Cock and Bull: a stylish gastropub in Balmedie, offering boutique rooms in a cottage outside the restaurant, which serves delicious locally-sourced food. Ideal for golfing trips or hiking breaks.
- Banchory Lodge: in a spellbinding location on the banks of the River Dee, this is the ideal hotel for those who love fishing. Set amongst beautiful grounds, with elegant rooms, an atmospheric bar and a fantastic restaurant.
- The Fife Arms: combining modern luxury with a High Victorian regard for aesthetic, this beautiful hotel features traditionally elegant yet chic rooms adorned with classic works of art, and is the perfect place to go for a weekend escape, whether you're grouse shooting, fishing or hiking through the hills. Impeccable Highland hospitality!
- Marcliffe at Pitfodels: with a luxury, pampering spa, gourmet restaurant, extensive wine list and acres of woodland and rolling parkland, this beautiful Scottish retreat is perched just outside of Aberdeen. A great place to explore the region from.
- The Chester Hotel: elegant and plush accommodation in the heart of Aberdeen. A lovely 19th century listed-building, it is the perfect base from which to explore the granite city. Stylish rooms, a superb restaurant and beauty treatments on offer.
- Malmaison Aberdeen: a castle-like hotel offering rooms adorned with antiques, Tartan upholstery and dark wooden furniture, it boasts a relaxing spa, whiskey snug, brasserie and bar. The perfect city nest to explore the city and region from.
For an apartment or cottage
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of cottages and apartments on offer.
- Fly to Aberdeen Airport and get public transport to your destination.
- If you want to rent a car we recommend contacting our partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to go is during the summer when the temperature ranges from 8 to 18 degrees.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include our choice of the best places to stay in the Highlands or Islands.
- Browse through our entire collection of the best places to stay in Scotland.
- Or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Aberdeenshire
Best Hotels in Aberdeenshire
The Fife Arms Braemar, Aberdeenshire 46 rooms from £320Other Activities - Stalking and shooting all available by arrangementArtworks - Picasso, Freud, Bruegel to name just a fewOpulent - Check out the Royal SuitesFishing - Fishing on the Dee
TorNaCoille Banchory 30 rooms from £60Local exploring - A great base from which to explore the beautiful landscape and sights of Deeside.Sights nearby - Deeside is full of lovely castles such as Crathes Castle and Drum Castle.Fishing - Go fishing on the nearby Dee, one of the UK's best salmon rivers.Great walks - The surrounding countryside is full of lovely walking routes.
The Cock and Bull Aberdeenshire 6 rooms from £85Foodies - An award-winning restaurant serving locally sourced food.Views - Great views from hotelSecluded setting - For escaping.Restaurant - Recommended.
Stylish gastropub with rooms in Balmedie offering boutique accommodation in a cottage opposite the restaurant. Winner of Scotland's Gastropub of the Year in 2012 and 2013, it is a cosy and intimate setting serving locally-sourced produce. Great for golf trips to Cruden Bay and Royal Aberdeen. See More
Banchory Lodge Banchory 28 rooms from £109Romantic Break - With its beautifully stylish accommodation, superb food and stunning location, it's perfect for a romantic getawayFishing - Fishing on the Dee is some of the finest in Scotland, and there is a beat at the bottom of the garden!Local exploring - A great base from which to explore Banchory and the surrounding Royal Deeside area.Great walks - There is superb walking for all abilities and the Deeside Way can be accessed from the hotel's grounds
Overlooking the banks of the river Dee, Banchory Lodge is a true Scottish retreat. Elegant rooms, an atmospheric bar and an excellent restaurant all come together to form a superb hotel. A great spot for keen fishers who can cast a fly from the bottom of the hotel's garden. See More
Malmaison Aberdeen Aberdeen 80 rooms from £109Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Restaurant - Recommended.SpaRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection
Lys-na-greyne Aboyne 6 rooms from £110Great walks - The surrounding area is full of beautiful walking routes.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby Craigievar Castle and Kildrummy Castle.Fishing - Superb salmon fishing on the nearby Dee.Views - Great views from hotel
In a picturesque position overlooking the River Dee, Lys-na-greyne is a luxurious B&B. Boasting plush rooms with modern interiors and spacious bathrooms, Lys-na-greyne is perfect for a relaxing break. With excellent fishing on the doorstep, it's a great base for a fishing trip to the Dee. See More
The Chester Hotel Aberdeen 54 rooms from £110City Style - The Chester Hotel is a great base from which to get to know AberdeenLocal exploring - See all that the city has to offerGreat walks - Wander through Duthie Park Winter GardensRestaurant - Recommended.
A short walk from the city centre, The Chester Hotel is set in a lovely 19th-century listed building. Combines original architecture with elegant contemporary features. Offers stylish rooms and meals at the fabulous restaurant are a must! Beauty treatments available. A top-notch chic city stay! See More
Marcliffe at Pitfodels Aberdeen (Pitfodels) 42 rooms from £160Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Restaurant - Recommended.SpaRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Small Luxury Hotels
Meldrum House Old Meldrum, Aberdeenshire 51 rooms from £175Golf - Meldrum House has its own superb 18 hole parkland golf course, and there are others nearbyLocal exploring - The ideal base for exploring Aberdeen's Whisky countryRestaurant - Pineapple boasts 2 AA Rosettes and offers the freshest local seafood and meat.Great walks - There are fabulous walks for all abilities in the surrounding countryside.
A stunning historic country house hotel in the heart of Aberdeenshire's whisky country. Smart rooms and suites: some traditional, others in the new wing totally contemporary. Atmospheric cave bar and 2AA Rosette Pineapple restaurant. Plus a highly recommended golf course. Simply superb! See More
Douneside House Tarland, Aberdeenshire 14 rooms from £200Fishing - On the River Dee nearbyViews - Over the Dee valleySwimming Pool - Indoor poolBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.