- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Fowey
The small and pretty harbour town of Fowey is about half way between Plymouth and Falmouth, in a deep valley on the mouth of the River Fowey. The port is surrounded by white, or pastel-coloured buildings giving it a proper seaside air. There are some really charming pubs and cafes with wonderful views of the river and the harbour. Some of the best places to stay in Fowey also have restaurants or bars overlooking this lovely scene.
What Not To Miss
- In August there's a yachting regatta which is when the town really comes to life - so book ahead if you want to enjoy the fun.
- Despite looking like a fishing port, the town actually became wealthy exporting good quality china clay from the nearby pits. This wealth built a lovely 15th Century church as well as some charming buildings.
- If you're looking for the beach you need to head west to Polkerris beach, known for sailing, paddle-boarding and windsurfing, or else just stroll along the coast until you find a sandy cove you like the look of.
- Learn about the various fish in our seas at the Fowey Aquarium - you can also handle various creatures including crabs if you're feeling brave enough.
- Hike up to St Catherine's Castle - a ruined old castle providing spectacular views of the coastline.
As we've already pointed out, if you want to book one of the best places to stay in Fowey during the busy summer months, you'll have to do it well in advance. Alternatively come off season, when the village is quieter and you can really appreciate the beauty of your surroundings.
- Fowey Hall is a 36 room country house hotel specialising in family breaks overlooking the Cornish coast just above Fowey. There's a creche, nannies, activities galore, plus a family friendly indoor pool and spa. Oh, and the views are stunning too.
- The Old Quay House Hotel is, as the name suggests, right on the quayside in the heart of Fowey's charmingly white-painted harbour. Converted from a lovely old building, it has 11 rooms, contemporary in style with pale colours and colourful artworks. There's also an excellent restaurant which spills out onto a deck in warmer months. The hotel only allows children over 13, so it's a stylish, grown-up spot!
For an apartment or cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a great range of properties with beautiful views of the estuary.
- Fly to Exeter Airport located 130km (81 miles) from Fowey. The airport caters to domestic and International destinations in Europe.
- Catch a train to Par - only 5 miles from Fowey. There are then bus and taxi options from Par to Fowey.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the beautiful coastline, for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - the summer months from June to early September provide typically the warmest weather for enjoying the beaches and various walks.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Fowey
Old Quay House Hotel 11 rooms from £200Fowey, Cornwall
Boutique luxury in the heart of Fowey with ample amounts of sea air, estuary views and contemporary charm. Crisp, minimalist rooms are breezy and comfortable. The restaurant serves an inventive menu of local seafood delights. An ideal spot for a romantic mini break away from city life.Great walks - Wonderful walking all around this area, a particualr favourite is the picturesque Hall Walk, which ends in pretty Polruan.Sights nearby - The ruins of St Catherine’s Castle sit on the edge of the town and command spectacular views of the harbour.Sailing - Yacht rental is available nearby, head off with a professional skipper or simply charter your own course.Kayaking - Kayak rental is possible from the village of Golant, the perfect way to explore this stunning coast.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection, Sawdays, Tablet, I Escape
Fowey Hall 36 rooms from £175Fowey, Cornwall
Small country house hotel overlooking the south Cornish coast, kitted out for families, with pool and spa - so beware if you have none in tow.FamiliesSwimming Pool - Indoor PoolViews - Great views from hotelKids Club - Fully staffed.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith