19 Best Hotels in Cornwall for Families
Cornwall’s long coastline and wealth of family friendly attractions make it a wonderful place to spend quality time with your kids. So our Gurus have scoured the region to bring you their recommendations for the best hotels in Cornwall for families. And they say the best hotels in Cornwall for families are those which tick all the boxes for all the family. They need views, beach or pool access, a great family friendly restaurant and other facilities, friendly service, the possibility of some time to relax for the adults in the party, and then something special to make them stand out. Their top picks are, naturally, the cream of the crop, but they're by no means the most expensive. And, as well as a range of room rates, we also have a great range of rooms, from adjoining options to family suites, apartments, cottages and villas — but all part of a hotel complex, so you get the benefit of all the facilities.
For a Special Occasion
- The Fowey Harbour Hotel is an elegant old hotel, in a postcard-perfect position overlooking the River Fowey and the ocean mouth. The vibe and decor are country house hotel meets New England nautique, with just the right blend of tiles and soft furnishings for the beach — and lots of spare wellies! The hotel has 37 rooms and suites, with the Junior Suites and above suiting families best. Families are also provided with crabbing buckets, spades and boardgames. Rooms have a coastal palette and marble bathrooms — plus fantastic views! The restaurant has the views too, and serves Cornish classics. There’s also a large garden.
- The Hotel Tresanton is a traditional looking seaside hotel in pretty St. Mawes, with a white facade, a huge rear deck looking out to sea, and a relaxed, but stylish atmosphere. The 33 rooms and suites are large, light, airy and individually decorated — with family suites decorated with unfussy details, but plenty of style — no room would be out of place in an interiors magazine. The communal spaces, including several lounges and the terrace, are friendly and comfortable, and there’s a childrens’ playroom, a well stocked bar, and a popular restaurant with seasonally changing menu that reflects local farming conditions. The hotel also has a private yacht and a fleet of motor boats.
For the View
- The Godolphin Arms is fantastically positioned just along the coast from Penzance, right on the beach and directly opposite St. Michael’s Mount. It has just 12 rooms and suites, all simple, light and well equipped, and decorated in the colours of the beach, plus a friendly bar and restaurant specialising in Cornish cuisine and seafood! The best of the family suites have balconies with sea views.
- The Chain Locker is a seafood restaurant with rooms, right on the working port at Falmouth. There’s not really a shorter distance your seafood could travel to your plate, and the views across Falmouth from the restaurant’s terrace are second to none. And it’s got a family-friendly vibe. There are just six rooms, decorated with a contemporary take on nautical industrial style. Some of the rooms are pet-friendly, as well as family friendly. The perfect base for walking, playing on the beach, and tasting oysters.
- The Padstow Harbour Hotel sits above the fishing sheds, in a wonderful spot for surveying the Carmel Estuary, or checking out the queue at Steins’. There are 58 chic, nautically themed rooms and suites, with simple decor, contemporary artwork and large, white bathrooms. The Cornish restaurant is laid-back, but very good, and has fantastic views, and the hotel also has a heated outdoor pool, a games room, and complimentary bike hire.
For an Adventure
- Bodmin Jail Hotel is definitely a stay to remember! Converted from a prison, just as it says on the tin, these 70 slick rooms and suites are still very cell-like, with plenty of original features — like exposed stone walls, cell-size windows and room doors that open onto corridors of balcony. There are even notes and plaques about inmates in the rooms. But the details are luxurious enough to balance it out! There’s a s chic champagne bar, and a choice of dining in the fine dining restaurant, or at the Jolly Hangman Tavern. Obviously close to Bodmin, but not far from the coast either.
For a Beach Break
- Pedn Olva is built into the cliffs just above Porthminster Beach, St. Ives, so close to the water that when the tide come in the ocean can splash guests using the pool. The best of their 30 rooms and suites overlook the ocean directly from huge windows, but wherever you stay in the hotel the waves will be your lullaby. The white-on-white decor lends a Mediterranean flavour, but the restaurant keeps to Cornish classics, with plenty of seafood. Family suites are spacious, and there’s lots to do within a short stroll.
- The Bedruthan Hotel is a large, perfectly positioned, hotel, overlooking the beach and cliffs just outside Mawgan Porth. There’s an incredible view from both restaurants — they have a family-friendly option and a fine dining option — and from both the outdoor pools. Our favourite rooms and suites share the view too, and some of those suites are family sized: well thought out as well as spacious. There’s also plenty to do onsite, with an indoor pool as well as the two outdoor pools, a spa, games rooms, a gym, and direct beach access.
- The Nare is a country-house style hotel, but right on the beach, with 36 large, elegant, colonial style rooms and fabulous sea views. The atmosphere is very much that of a luxurious home, with carefully chosen antiques, printed wallpapers and fabrics and Persian rugs. The facilities are stand out as well — there’s an indoor and outdoor pool; tennis courts and a croquet lawn; a luxurious spa; an outdoor wooden hot tub with ocean views; two restaurants, a bar and a lounge. And The Nare is extremely welcoming of both families and pets.
For Country House Chic
- Fowey Hall is a wonderfully elegant country house hotel known for being family friendly. The historic facade gives a luxurious feel, that’s not lost when you enter, as the decor is contemporary, but very stylish — its lounges and dining room wouldn’t be out of place in an interiors magazine. But then neither would the 48 rooms and suites that make up the accommodation, which are decorated in cool colours, with contemporary art and wood furniture. There’s a family friendly spa, with an indoor pool, and an excellent Cornish restaurant. They run excellent kids’ activities, there's a kids club, and they have in-house nannies too.
- The Talland Bay Hotel is an idyllic country house hotel set in two acres of sub-tropical gardens overlooking Talland Bay. With just two floors, this house stretches sideways to make the most of the views, and the majority of the 27 rooms and suites have water views. The interior varies from room to room, from plush and romantic, to country chintz and New England nautical. The restaurant specialises in Cornish fare, and has AA two rosettes. There’s lots of walking trails, including a two minute trail to the beach. Children are welcome here and the cottages are ideal for families of four.
For a Bucket and Spade Holiday
- The St Enodoc Hotel is every bit the classic seaside charmer on the outside, sitting on a ridge outside Rock, with great views over the Carmel Estuary. Inside are 20 airy rooms, decorated with contemporary style, art prints, and a nod to the seaside location, plus a lively restaurant with a contemporary menu and a wonderful terrace to float out onto. The family suites are a good size, there’s lots to do locally, and the service is really warm and welcoming for families.
- The Polurrian on the Lizard is incredibly positioned, just safely back from a cliff overlooking the ocean and The Lizard. Below the hotel is a fantastic — private! — sandy beach, which you can’t see, but you can easily walk to. What you can see is the ocean, and from most of the 39 rooms, suites and villas. Additional family facilities include a creche, indoor and outdoor play areas, a cinema, expansive gardens, and a family-friendly restaurant, but there’s also a fine dining option, and a pool, spa and gym.
For Don’t-Have-to-Leave-the-Hotel Facilities
- The Headland is a large, Victorian seaside resort occupying a dramatic headland position, just outside Newquay. Since The Headland’s birth it has been built upon, and the seaside offering honed. Today it’s a luxurious spa hotel, as well as seaside grande dame, with elegant rooms and suites in the original building, but also a raft of self-catering cottages and lodges, which make this a fantastic choice for families looking for a bit of luxury. In addition to incredible views and reams of space, there’s also an Aqua Centre, with six pools and a destination spa.
- The Carbis Bay Hotel is a luxurious hotel overlooking Carbis Bay Beach, and Carbis Bay, which is just a just along the coast from St. Ives. The views are really something, but the decor is too, and accommodation is in a range of 50 rooms, suites and villas. There’s more than just stylish, family-sized rooms on offer here, the hotel has fabulous watersports facilities, it’s perfectly located for surfing and walking, and there’s a choice of six cafes, bars and restaurants onsite. There’s also an impressive spa with a hot tub with ocean views.
For a Rural Retreat
- The Cornwall Hotel Spa & Estate is a simple, yet luxurious hotel, country house style hotel, with self-catering lodges and 43 acres of land. With this much space there’s room for a playground, an indoor/ outdoor pool, a large spa, a gym, and an impressive Cornish restaurant. The other thing we like about this hotel is the choice of family accommodation — opt for a lodge, a family suite or a series of interconnecting rooms. It’s a drive to the beach but you’re surrounded by green and leafy countryside.
For Large Families
- The St Moritz was an Art Deco era seaside institution, but today the hotel has become super family friendly, reimagined as a collection of rooms, suites and self-catering apartments and villas. It’s located in Trebetherick, between the beaches at Polzeath and Daymer. The flexible collection of accommodation means this is a great pick for larger families or groups, but there are only 48 rooms in all, so there aren’t too many other guests sharing the indoor and outdoor pools, the gym, or friendly brasserie, and there are lots of things to do onsite and off, from tennis to surfing to sailing. There are also numerous beautiful walking paths to follow.
For Self-Catering Facilities
- The Artist Residence is a 19 room boutique hotel in central Penzance, just a short stroll from the beach. Each of the rooms is totally unique, sharing just a collection of vintage furniture and eclectic art — and maybe a colour scheme referencing the ocean. Each is cleverly laid out, and some are large enough to offer living space and free-standing tubs in the bathrooms. Our pick for families is The Cottage, which sleeps up to six. There’s no formal restaurant attached to the hotel, but there is a lounge and bar, which serves food and drinks all day — and there are plenty of places to eat and drink nearby.
- The Rosevine is a charming, family-run seaside hotel overlooking the ocean at Porthbean Beach in one direction, and Portscatho Beach in the other. The traditional white exterior is surrounded by mature gardens set with tables positioned to make the most of the views. Inside are 12 rooms and suites, and several self-catering apartments — which are what we recommend for families. Kids will also appreciate the playroom, indoor pool, and kids’ menu in the restaurant; while adults might appreciate the policy of offering a free stay to under 16s!
Still not sure where to book?
- You could browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Cornwall
- Or refine your search by location, and consider just the best places to stay in Penzance, Rock, Newquay, Falmouth or St. Ives
- Or consider our Guru’s recommendations for the best beach hotels in Cornwall. the best B&Bs in Cornwall or even the best dog friendly Hotels in Cornwall
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Bedruthan Hotel Mawgan Porth, Cornwall 101 rooms from £150Spa breaks - Pamper yourself at the top of the range luxury spa, using all natural products and treatments — heaven!Families - With family orientated rooms, great dining options and the beach close by it's ideal for familiesEco break - A sustainable and environmentally minded hotel with an extensive responsible tourism pledgeRestaurant - The Wild Cafe and The Herring serve seasonal dishes using the best of local produceRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
A family-friendly hotel with fabulous views of the Atlantic Ocean. Interiors are contemporary throughout. Rooms have floor-to-ceiling windows, wooden floors, and minimalist furniture. With two Cornish restaurants, three pools, a spa, and plenty of activities - this is a real crowd-pleaser. See More
Fowey Hall Fowey, Cornwall 48 rooms from £175Families - Designed with families in mind with babysitting, on-hand nannies, activites, equipment for kids of all ages and activitiesSpa - The spa is open to adults and children and includes an indoor pool, wellness room, and wide treatment listSights nearby - Take a stroll around the beautiful Lost Gardens of HeliganRestaurant - Seasonal restaurant with Cornish-inspired dishesRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A luxury country house hotel overlooking the coast. Rooms feel fresh and contemporary with grey hues, minimalist wooden furniture, and modern art. There's a spoiling spa with a large indoor pool and an excellent Cornish restaurant. Well suited to families with in-house nannies & kids' activities. See More
St Enodoc Hotel Rock, Cornwall 20 rooms from £170Families - Family suites, games room, special kiddies menus and a wealth of fun beachside activities make this an ideal family getawayTennis - The Point in Polzeath offers free gym access to guests, as well as tennis courts and lessons at a small additional chargeSurfing - The hotel will organise a private surf lessons with George Stoy, a perfect introduction to Cornwall's most popular sport!Great walks - Set along some of the most spendid coastline in Cornwall, there are endless paths and trails to navigate
A boutique coastal hotel with views of the Camel Estuary. Smart rooms are beautifully styled with bright colours, oil paintings, and simple modern furniture. The popular restaurant serves healthy contemporary dishes. Vibrant and cosy, with top marks for the stunning location and warmth of service. See More
St Moritz Trebetherick, Cornwall 48 rooms from £120Country Escape - Spend days outdoors on long hikes or surfing before returning to a massage in the spa and a hearty dinner - rural perfectionSelf catering to rent - There are 38 villas & 13 apartments (all luxury) for those who want to self cater yet have access to the hotel's facilitiesLocal exploring - With Padstow, Port-Isaac, and Rock all nearby there is plenty to do locally from surfing to fine diningSpa - The property boasts the UK’s only Cowshed Spa outside Soho House
A stylish contemporary seaside hotel set between the beaches of Polzeath & Daymer. Flexible accommodation includes rooms, suites, self-catering apartments, & villas. With a Cowshed Spa (courtesy of Soho House), two pools, and a good restaurant this is a luxury break suitable for couples or families. See More
Polurrian on The Lizard West Cornwall 39 rooms from £120Families - With a creche, indoor and outdoor play areas, a private beach, and plenty of space for little ones - this is ideal for familiesSelf catering - Self-catering villas with well-equipped kitchens, spacious living areas, & outdoor fire pits are perfect for families or groupsRestaurant - The restaurant serves delicious fresh local produce and seasonal menus. You can choose between family & fine diningKayaking - Go on a kayaking or coasteering trip with Lizard AdventureRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, I Escape
A family-friendly hotel in an incredible setting with a fabulous sandy beach a stone's throw away. Breathtaking sea views can be enjoyed from the comfort of airy contemporary rooms. Indoor and outdoor pools, a spa and a gym combined with the sea air mean you can't help but feel rejuvenated. See More
Talland Bay Hotel Cornwall 27 rooms from £270Active Holiday - There are a wide range of activities nearby including surfing, cycling, hiking, golf, and fishingBack to Nature - Views of the sea and the coastal path just 2 minute walk away keeps you in touch with natureGreat walks - Miles of coastal paths can be explored right from the Talland Bay Hotel doorstepSights nearby - The Eden Project is just a 40 minute drive from the hotelRecommended by - Sawdays, Good Hotel Guide
A country house hotel set in two acres of sub-tropical gardens close to the beach. Rooms have a New England beach house vibe with contemporary fabrics, sleigh beds, and plenty of light. With award-winning Cornish fine dining and spectacular coastal views, this is a luxurious rural hideaway. See More
The Cornwall Hotel Spa & Estate St Austell, Cornwall 65 rooms from £167Self catering - 23 self catering cottages available for those who want the amenities of a hotel but an independent stayFamilies - With self-catering lodges, family suites, plenty of activities, and 43 acres for kids to run around inSpa - The expansive spa includes a relaxation room, indoor pool, sauna, and steam room plus a wide range of treatmentsRestaurant - The restaurant serves Cornish dishes with locally sourced produce
A luxury hotel set in 43-acres of estate land. Spacious bedrooms are tastefully designed with plenty of light and simple modern furniture. There is the option to take a self-catering lodge too. Expect a spa, Cornish restaurant, indoor pool, and expansive grounds. Suits families or couples. See More
The Godolphin Arms West Cornwall 12 rooms from £110Active Holiday - The perfect base for active guests with surfing, hiking, cycling, and watersports all possible nearbyRestaurant - A relaxed restaurant with wonderful views serves British cuisine and specialises in seafoodSights nearby - Take a boat trip over to the iconic destination of St Michael’s MountBirdwatching - For birding enthusiats, the RSPB nature reserve is nearby
A stylish family-run beachside hotel on the unspoilt Cornish coast with beautiful views and modern, well-equipped rooms. The restaurant and bar offer local Cornish dishes and a relaxed, friendly atmosphere. With plenty of activities nearby, this suits families and couples alike. See More
Bodmin Jail Hotel Bodmin (North Cornwall) 70 rooms from £203Families - Spacious family rooms, casual dining the kids will love and you're right in Bodmin Jail!Local exploring - Bodmin is a great central location for exploring further afield in CornwallRestaurant - Enjoy a la carte dining at The Chapel Restaurant or something more casual at the Jolly Hangman TavernFull of character - There is a good blend here of period and original features plus smart contemporary styling
A boutique property built within the walls of historic Bodmin Jail. Interiors are sleek & contemporary but with plenty of period features; original stone walls are complemented by luxury linens and indulgent bathrooms. Dine in the smart Chapel Restaurant or Jolly Hangman Tavern. Great for families. See More
Hotel Tresanton St Mawes, Cornwall 33 rooms from £260Total relaxation - Indulge in pampering massages, strolls along the beach, or simply sit and listen to the gentle lap of the ocean- heaven!Romantic Break - With atmospheric suites, private balconies, gourmet meals, and the beach nearby this is ideal for a romantic hideawayBeach Life - Blissful beach life- rockpooling, shrimping, habour walks, surfing, sailing and feasting on fish and chipsFamilies - Family suites, a games room, a wendy house, and a wide range of activities make this very family friendlyRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, I Escape
A stylish, laid back hotel set near St Mawes with views of the sea. Rooms and suites are individually styled and feel at once homely yet luxurious. With a restaurant that uses seasonal produce, a private sailing boat, and endless activities, this is as suitable for couples as it is for families. See More
Fowey Harbour Hotel Fowey (South Cornwall) 37 rooms from £310Families - The Junior Suite comfortably sleeps a family and provides thoughtful extras such as crabbing buckets, spades, and boardgamesActive Holiday - Whether you want to sail, walk, bicycle, or visit local cultural attractions — there's plenty to keep busy with hereSights nearby - St Catherine’s Castle and the National Trust-owned Covington Woods are close byGreat walks - Set right on the South West Coast Path (in fact it bisects the terrace garden)Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
An elegant hotel offering a spectacular location overlooking River Fowey. Rooms are chic and simply styled with coastal-inspired palettes and smart marble bathrooms. The restaurant serves Cornish classics along with epic views, while the South West Coast Path runs through the pretty tiered garden. See More
Artist Residence Cornwall 19 rooms from £149Active Holiday - Don your wetsuit and hit the waves, followed by a blustery coastal walk, bike ride and back for a hearty nights sleepFoodies - Nearby cookery schools offer foraging courses, and the town is peppered with lovely organic meat and produce shopsFamilies - While several of the rooms can take cots, families should book The Cottage which sleeps up to 6Sights nearby - Fairytale island castle of St Michael’s MountRecommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
A chic boutique hotel bursting with character in pretty Penzance. Unique rooms have eclectic art, vintage furniture, and the best have freestanding tubs. Laidback Clubhouse is a lounge and bar serving all-day food and drinks. While there are buzzy cafes and pubs nearby. A stylish stay. See More
The Chain Locker Falmouth (South Cornwall) 6 rooms from £154Families - A laidback atmosphere, kids' menus in the restaurant, and a multitude of activities nearby make this a good family optionActive Holiday - Spend days hiking, surfing, sailing or exploring historical sites before returning for a hearty dinner and a pintCoastal - Unrivalled waterside views of Falmouth quay and the spectacular beauty of Carrick RoadsSea Views - Beautiful views out to sea from most rooms, the terrace and dining areas
The Chainlocker combines a prime coastal location with stunning modern interiors in muted tones. The rooms have quirky vintage furnishings and subtle nautical design. The views across Falmouth from the expansive terrace are second-to-none, as is the seafood in the restaurant and the lively bar. See More
The Rosevine South Cornwall 12 rooms from £170Families - An ideal family getaway with spacious apartments, a lovely playroom, and a free stay for children under sixteenBeach Life - A charming beach-chic hotel with stunning sea views, just one minute from the beachSailing - An excellent stopping point for a sailing trip around the south coastRestaurant - Modern British cuisine is served in the restaurant with sea viewsRecommended by - I Escape, Sawdays, Great Small Hotels
A charming family-run hotel overlooking the south Cornwall coast. Rooms are spacious and comfortable, with tasteful furnishings and warm colour schemes. The popular restaurant serves Modern British cuisine and also caters for kids. The self-catering options make this a family holiday haven. See More
Pedn Olva St Ives (West Cornwall) 30 rooms from £180Families - With spacious family suites, casual dining, and plenty of activities nearby this is a an easy choice for a family getawayActive Holiday - The area offers a host of outdoor activities from watersports to rugged hikesSurfing - Head for Porthmeor beach for excellent surf conditionsRestaurant - Seafood and pub classics are served in the restaurant
A chic cliff top hotel overlooking the pristine white sands of Porthminster beach. White on white throughout, the hotel has a distinctly un-British feel, you could be forgiven for thinking you're somewhere in the Mediterranean. The restaurant is a hotspot for foodies and the town for art lovers. See More
Padstow Harbour Hotel Padstow (North Cornwall) 58 rooms from £180Families - With family suites, board games, kids' menus, and a host of activities — this is ideal family holiday materialFoodies - There are several Michelin starred restaurants in Padstow making this a great option for a foodie breakGreat walks - Hop on the Cornish Coast Path and enjoy long walks with fabulous viewsRestaurant - Relaxed Cornish dining in the restaurantRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
An elegant hotel with wonderful views over the Camel Estuary set in popular Padstow. Chic rooms are light and airy with a nautical theme seen in the colour pallette and artwork. A laidback restaurant serves Cornish fare. Outdoors is a heated pool and bikes to use. A friendly base ideal for families. See More
The Headland Newquay (North Cornwall) 96 rooms from £235Swimming Pool - Six pools include indoor Lap pool, Hydrotherapy pool & kid's splash pool. Outdoors there's a sunset spa, vitality & edge poolsActive Holiday - The Cornish coast offers a plethora of outdoor activities; surfing, kayaking, paddleboarding, walking, fishing & sailingFamilies - Very family-orientated with well-designed rooms, lots of activities, child-friendly dining & a relaxed overall feelSpa breaks - A true sanctuary, The Headland Spa boasts award-winning facilities, signature Elemis treatments & beauty services
This grand Victorian seaside hotel has been transformed into a super-luxe contemporary spa hotel. Located on its own headland, expect beach access, killer views & plenty of space. Incredible Aqua Centre, six swimming pools, destination spa & opulent yet cosy rooms & suites make this a crowd-pleaser. See More
Carbis Bay Hotel St Ives (West Cornwall) 47 rooms from £500Families - With excellent facilities and a whole host of family orientated activities, it's a great spot for a trip with the kidsActive Holiday - With a host of watersports facilities on site, a nearby beach and walking trails, it's perfect for an active holidayRestaurant - A choice of six dining options ranging from casual fare to fine diningSpa - C Bay Spa offers a wide range of spa and beauty treatments
The Nare Cornwall 36 rooms from £290Families - A good choice for an inter-generational break with something to entertain all ages (plus the dog is welcome too)Active Holiday - With pools, a tennis court, and boats there is plenty to do at the property itselfSelf catering - The Pendower Suite and The Lemoria Cottage have kitchensSights nearby - The Lost gardens of Heligan and The Eden Project are easily accessible and worth a visitRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
A country house hotel with fabulous sea views. Elegant rooms and suites feel like a luxury home with antiques, Persian rugs and printed wallpaper. With standout service, two restaurants, outdoor and indoor pools, a spa, a tennis court, and a croquet pitch - this is a real crowd-pleaser for all ages. See More