- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Keswick
Keswick is a lovely market town in the Lake District’s less visited, but just as spectacular, northern region. Right beside the glittering Derwentwater, with its many islands and graceful cruisers, Keswick also looks out onto high fells and misty valleys. As well as enjoying the stunning scenery, visitors to Keswick, who have been coming here in large numbers since the 18th Century have plenty of interesting things to see or do.
What Not To Miss
- Enjoy a show at the Theatre by the Lake, set idyllically on the shores of Derwentwater. They put on a great range of shows at the theatre, along with various festivals making it great for visitors of all interests.
- Visit the rather charming Keswick Museum, particularly good for families with various interactive exhibits and information about the area's history.
- Or the slightly more odd Pencil Museum, providing visitors with facts on the history and manufacturing of pencils. There's also a couple of fascinating items including the world's largest pencil and a spy pencil from wartime.
- Visit an ancient stone circle at Castlerigg dating back to 3000 BC with information provided about the intriguing history behind the stone circles. The views of the surrounding mountains are also rather spectacular.
- Delve underground with a visit and tour of the Honister Slate Mine, England's last remaining slate mine.
The best places to stay in Keswick tend to be those which make the most of the region’s spectacular views…
The Best Places To Stay In Keswick
- On the other side of the lake to Keswick town, the Swinside Lodge Hotel is a charming Regency house hotel with seven elegant rooms done in pastel colours. There’s also AA 2 Rosette restaurant, and you’re surrounded by spectacular views of one of the quietest parts of the Lake District National Park.
For a rural escape
- The Pheasant Inn, with its 15 cosy rooms and old fashioned oak panelled bar and restaurant, is closer to Lake Bassenthwaite than to Derwentwater, so its even more remote, and the views even more unsullied by other developments.
For an apartment
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday, don't hesitate to visit our online partner, Booking.com for a range of properties from the centre of town to rural hideaways.
- Fly to Newcastle Airport located 140km (87 miles) from Keswick. The airport caters to various domestic and International carriers.
- Alternatively, catch a train to Penrith, 17 miles from Keswick. There's a bus service from Penrith Rail Station to Keswick Bus Station.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the stunning Lake District, for prices visit our online partner, Holiday Autos.
- Best time to visit - the summer months from June to early September provide the warmest weather for exploring the beautiful outdoors and lakes.