- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Book Online Now
Search the best hotels in Keswick
Keswick is a lovely market town in the Lake District’s less visited, but just as spectacular, northern region. Right beside the glittering Derwentwater, with its many islands and graceful cruisers, Keswick also looks out onto high fells and misty valleys. As well as enjoying the stunning scenery, visitors to Keswick, who have been coming here in large numbers since the 18th Century have plenty of interesting things to see or do. Many of the best places to stay in Keswick face the water so have beautiful views.
What Not To Miss
- Enjoy a show at the Theatre by the Lake, set idyllically on the shores of Derwentwater. They put on a great range of shows at the theatre, and hold various festivals.
- Visit the rather charming Keswick Museum, particularly good for families with various interactive exhibits and information about the area's history.
- Or the slightly odder Pencil Museum, providing visitors with facts on the history and manufacturing of pencils! There's also a couple of fascinating items including the world's largest pencil and a spy pencil from wartime.
- Visit an ancient stone circle at Castlerigg dating back to 3000 BC with information provided about the intriguing history behind the stone circles. The views of the surrounding mountains are also rather good.
- Delve underground with a visit and tour of the Honister Slate Mine, England's last remaining slate mine.
The best places to stay in Keswick tend to be those which make the most of the region’s spectacular views…
Best places to stay in Keswick
For central location
- You can't beat The Royal Oak for its lcoation, bang in the centre of Keswick. The fourteen rooms have been tastefully upgraded and offer a chic stay in the heart of the town. Plus there's a good restaurant and atmospheric bar. It's excellent value too with doubles from under £100 per night.
For great views
- Howe Keld is a smart property just a short walk from both town centre and Derwent Water. There are twelve spacious and comfortable rooms, most with lovely views to the hills.
For an apartment or cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a range of properties from the centre of town to rural hideaways.
- Fly to Newcastle Airport located 140km (87 miles) from Keswick. The airport caters to various domestic and International carriers.
- Alternatively, catch a train to Penrith, 17 miles from Keswick. There's a bus service from Penrith Rail Station to Keswick Bus Station.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the stunning Lake District, for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - the summer months from June to early September provide the warmest weather for exploring the beautiful outdoors and lakes.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Keswick
The Royal Oak 14 rooms from £98Keswick
Right in the heart of Keswick, The Royal Oak is a delightful hotel. Offering smart rooms, an excellent restaurant and an atmospheric bar, it's a great launchpad from which to explore the Lakes.Local exploring - A great base for exploring Keswick and the surrounding Lake District.Great walks - The surrounding countryside is full of wonderful walking routes.Full of characterTraditional
Howe Keld 12 rooms from £166Keswick
Situated in Keswick, just a short walk from Derwent Water and with wonderful views of the hills. Rooms are spacious and comfortable with pops of colour from the fabrics and wallpaper, lots of natural materials throughout. The breakfasts will set you up for a day out exploring.Active Holiday - The Lake District is perfect for walking, cycling or sailing.Sights nearby - Nearby Wordsworth House makes for a great day out.Great walks - There are many low level walks to explore.Back to Nature