- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Windermere
Lake Windermere is one of the great beauties of the Lake District, and a highlight for holidaymakers since the tourist trains started arriving in 1847. There are technically two towns making up ‘Windermere’: there’s Windermere Town, which is on the top of a steep hill overlooking the lake, and Bowness-on-Windermere, which actually sits on the lake’s shore. Windermere Town has the train station, a charming high street and majestic rows of Victorian and Edwardian villas, while touristy Bowness has the restaurants, cafes, tea shops, ice cream stalls and souvenir shops. The best places to stay in Windermere can be found in both Windermere Town and Bowness, but it’s also worth considering the surrounding hills, where there are some very lovely, and very peaceful country house hotels and gastro pubs.
What Not To Miss
- Soak up the beautiful views of the lake. There's also the option to enjoy a ride on a cruiser on the lake which is undoubtedly one of the best ways to take in the stunning scenery.
- Hike up to Orrest Head past waterfalls and be rewarded with dramatic views of the Lake District.
- Or enjoy a more gentle stroll around the Holehird Gardens - 12 acres of volunteer-run beautiful gardens. There's no shortage of different things to see here including a walled garden
- There's also an adventure centre with loads to do for all the family - from kayaking to playparks to historic gardens, there's really something for everyone here.
Lake Windermere is a historically popular destination and during the peak season the best places to stay in Windermere fill up quickly, so don't leave it late to book!
Best places to stay in Windermere
In Windermere Town
- The Windermere Suites are a collection of eight, contemporary B&B rooms in Windermere proper. The rooms are decorated in monochrome with a romantic feel and there’s an indoor pool.
- Linthwaite House Hotel is a traditional hotel with 30 varied rooms and incredible hilltop views over the lake. There’s great walking right from the door, an excellent restaurant and one of the rooms has a private outdoor hot tub.
- Windermere Boutique Hotel is a beautiful Edwardian house hotel with thirteen individually decorated rooms.This is an adults only haven and several of the rooms have private hot tubs. A romantic treat!
- Hillthwaite is a contemporary rural property sat perched a-top a hill with far reaching views across the Cumbrian countryside. Smart rooms mix traditional patterns and colouring with contemporary style. An indoor pool and spa provide some serious pampering. A charming spot for a rural escape.
- Excellently located, Applegarth Villa is an adults-only, boutique bolthole with high-quality, designer bedrooms, including sumptuous suites with private hot-tubs. Family-run with a relaxed atmosphere and bistro-style restaurant and bar with an expansive collection of whiskeys. A real, spoiling treat in a great location.
- Cedar Manor, this former vicar's house is a heavenly stay very close to Lake Windermere with impressive views. A hearty menu of gourmet meals is served. Comfortable rooms, some modern some ecclesiastical in theme are decorated with Zoffany fabrics and Lloyd Loom wicker. The coach-house bathroom is palatial.
- Perfect for exploring the countryside, The Ryebeck is a comfortable country-house hotel in a peaceful setting, with beautiful views of Lake Windermere, yet still close to popular attractions. Relaxed and informal, with comfortable, unfussy bedrooms, it has an excellent restaurant turning out well-crafted Modern British dishes.
- With no shortage of activities for visitors, Gilpin Hotel & Lake House is an immaculate, country house hotel, with luxurious bedrooms and private suites, plus a Michelin starred restaurant. A separate Lake House with suites, pool, spa and rooms with private Hot Tubs. Set in 40 acres of stunning surroundings with a picturesque lake and lots of activities to offer nearby.
For an apartment or cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a selection of quaint properties perfect for exploring the town and countryside.
- The most convenient airport for access to the Lake District is Manchester airport. It is about 80 miles to the south. Other good options are Liverpool or Glasgow. Alternatively, catch a train to Windermere with links to various major destinations including Manchester Airport.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the beautiful Lake District, for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- The summer months from June to early September provide typically the warmest weather for enjoying the Lake District. But it's easy to argue that it's beautiful in all seasons, and Wordsworth definitely did...
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Windermere
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House 31 rooms from £215Windermere, Cumbria
Immaculate, country house hotel, with luxurious bedrooms and private suites, plus a Michelin starred restaurant. A separate Lake House with suites, pool, spa and rooms with private Hot Tubs. Set in 40 acres of stunning surroundings with a picturesque lake and lots of activities to offer nearby.Foodies - Chef Hrishikesh Desai knocks it out of the park everytime, he crafts exciting menus using locally sourced wonderful ingrediants.Romantic Break - Six of the incredible suites come with their own private gardens and cedarwood hot tubs, ideal for a romantic getaway!Country Escape - 20-acre gardens filled with magnolia, cherry blossoms and copper beech, not to mention the stunnig private lake.Fishing - Fishing can be organised on site, either on the private lake or a day trip to somewhere nearby.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Johansens, Relais & Chateaux, Sawdays, Michelin Travel
Applegarth Villa 22 rooms from £140Windermere (Cumbria)
Adults-only, boutique bolthole with high-quality, designer bedrooms, including sumptuous suites with private hot-tubs. Family-run with a relaxed atmosphere and bistro-style restaurant and bar with an expansive collection of whiskeys. A real, spoiling treat in a great location.Romantic Break - Adults only hotel with a cocktail bar, huge rooms and private hot tubsSights nearby - Beatrix Potter and Wordsworth's houses are a short drive awayPrivate Hot Tub - All the seven suites have their own private outdoor hot tub.Sailing - A sailing trip along the iconic Lake Windemere
Cedar Manor 10 rooms from £145Windermere (Cumbria)
Country-house-style hotel with a contemporary feel and genuinely personal touch. Supremely comfortable bedrooms, a fine-dining restaurant and a classy but relaxed atmosphere.Fishing - From brown trout to salmon there is a huge variety to be caught in Cumbria's lakes and rivers for the DIY fish supper.Sights nearby - The Beatrix Potter House and Museum is a charming afternoon out.Restrictions on children - Children under 10 are not permitted at this hotel.Remote - Off the beaten track.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
The Ryebeck 24 rooms from £150Bowness-on-Windermere, Cumbria
A comfortable country-house hotel in a peaceful setting, with beautiful views of Lake Windermere, yet still close to popular attractions. Relaxed and informal, with comfortable, unfussy bedrooms, it has an excellent restaurant turning out well-crafted Modern British dishes.Great walks - Superb walking either low-level or higher fells such as Langdale Pikes.Sights nearby - Visit Beatrix Potter’s house less than two miles from the hotel.Views - Great views from hotel
Lindeth Fell 14 rooms from £160Windermere (The Lake District)
A luxurious B&B located near scenic Lake Windemere. Interiors perfectly mix traditional British design with contemporary style - think antique furniture, boldly coloured walls, open fireplaces and chic modern bathrooms. Indulgent breakfasts and high tea are served. The perfect rural escape.Country Escape - A pretty rural house positioned in some of the UK's most picturesque countryside.Sights nearby - William Wordsworth’s homes at Dove Cottage, Grasmere, & Rydal Mount, RydalGreat walks - Find miles of scenic hiking trails to be explored.Sailing - Take a relaxing cruise across Windermere Lake.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Hillthwaite 34 rooms from £145Windermere (Windermere)
A contemporary rural property sat perched a-top a hill with far reaching views across the Cumbrian countryside. Smart rooms mix traditional patterns and colouring with contemporary style. An indoor pool and spa provide some serious pampering. A charming spot for a rural escape.Country Escape - Located in the stunning Lake District close to Lake Windermere. Ideal for spending days in the great outdoors.Great walks - Make the most of the miles of hiking trails through some of the UKs finest countryside.Sights nearby - Visit Blackwell house and admire the Arts and Crafts architecture.Sailing - Take a romantic cruise on Lake Windermere.
The Windermere Suites 16 rooms from £180Windermere, Cumbria
Designer B&B with eight lavish and sexy monochrome suites including sultry accents and highlights of silver and uber-modern lights. Bathrooms have TVs and mood lighting - plus it’s always breakfast. Located in the heart of the Lake District it is a chic little retreat amidst traditional surrounds.Romantic Break - Large suites with private hot tubs are made for romanceSights nearby - William Wordsworth’s homes at Dove Cottage and Beatrix Potter's House are close bySailing - Lake cruises on WindermereSwimming Pool - Indoor PoolRecommended by - Johansens
Storrs Hall 30 rooms from £185Windermere (Bowness-on-Windermere)
Elegant 4-star hotel set in an 18th century Georgian mansion, offering rooms, suites, lodges and a luxury boathouse with panoramic views of the lake. Decor is stylish and classic. Featuring a restaurant, tower bar, regular afternoon tea and, naturally, boat cruises across the lake.Romantic Break - The Boathouse is ideal for couples on a romantic getaway, isolated from the house, with panoramic views of the lake.Great walks - The Lake District is a place pulsating in the poetry of Wordworth and Coleridge, with great mountains and placid lakes.Sailing - Take a scenic cruises across the lake.Views - Great views from hotel
Linthwaite House Hotel 36 rooms from £200Windermere, Cumbria
Slick, stylish designs meet an intimate Edwardian country house offering all round comfort. Award winning dishes and fine wines at the restaurant. From its hilltop location over Lake Windermere and the Fells - explore The Lake District on foot, bike or horseback. Serenity at its finest!Romantic Break - Take the stunning views, plush suites, two man tubs and candlelit dinners and you are guaranteed romance.Fishing - Try your hand at Fly fishing on the hotel's lake, a wonderfully peacefull way to spend an afternoon.Great walks - The hotel provides route-finding sheets of all the spectcular local walks, plus a guide if needed.Sights nearby - Just across the lake is Beatrix Potter’s 17th Century house, well worth a visit.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet, Good Hotel Guide, Johansens, Kiwi Collection, Sawdays
Windermere Boutique Hotel 13 rooms from £220Windermere, Cumbria
A beautiful Edwardian house hotel, near the shores of Lake Windermere. The individually decorated rooms are comfortable and spacious. Downstairs one can enjoy delicious food in the intimate dining room. In the heart for Beatrix Potter country, this is definitely one for the Peter Rabbit lovers.Active Holiday - Lake Windermere is perfect for watersports, and the surrounding parklands provide top notch walking and cycling options.Local exploring - Explore the rolling beauty of the Lake District, surrounding National Parkland and Beatrix Potter country.Sights nearby - Visit Beatrix Potter's Home- Hill Top, less than three miles from the hotel.Great walks - Beautiful walking routes around the shores of Lake Windermere.