Search the best hotels in Torquay
Since the 19th Century Torquay has been a fashionable spot on what came to be known as the 'English Riviera'. The appeals are obvious, Torquay is right on the English Channel, with no less than nine sandy beaches spreading out from the town - almost a record by British standards - and one of the UK's friendliest micro-climates which allows cabbage palms to flourish. Torquay is also famous for being the home of Fawlty Towers… But our recommendations for the best places to stay in Torquay promise significantly less chaos. Still popular with coach-loads, Torquay is much smarter than it was in Basil's time, now rivalling Dartmouth for attention from foodies.
What not to miss:
- Try your hand at waterskiing or wakeboarding in the pretty horseshoe shaped bay.
- Hire a boat and set sail along the coast.
- Enjoy a family day out at Living Coasts Marine Zoo and Aquarium.
- Take scenic walks along the South West Coast path.
- Visit the 800-year-old Torre Abbey on the seafront in Torquay.
Don't forget to plan well ahead it you want to book one of the best places to stay in Torquay - it's a very popular spot.
The Best Places to Stay in Torquay
The Best Places to Stay in Torquay For families
The Cary Arms is an eclectic gastropub with five stylish rooms plus three self-catering cottages in a wonderful seaside spot. This is the kind of place where they supply you with not just a room but also a net for fishing in nearby rock pools.
The Best Places to Stay in Torquay For an apartment or cottage
- If you're travelling with family or a group of friends it may be a better option to book a villa or apartment. For a wide range of properties for all tastes and budgets we recommend you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- By train, travel to one of the two stations in Torquay which have frequent (and very scenic) connections to London. Exeter International Airport is located 45 minutes away by car and is also connected by train.
- British weather is unpredictable at best however for the best chance at getting some sun travel in the summer months of June - August.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Torquay
Cary Arms Torquay (South Devon) 21 rooms from £269Exclusive offer - Cary Arms Special OffersTotal relaxation - Lazy days eating seafood on the terrace, followed by customised holistic treatments in the spa using Yon-Ka products.Families - Three cottages with three, four or five rooms are ideal for families.Great walks - Jump onto the South West Coast Path National Trail spanning for 630 miles through stunning landscapes.Fishing - The Inn provides rods for the pier and nets for fishing in rock pools.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
A boutique hotel with the charm of a British pub. The cliff top position makes for stunning views. Chic white washed rooms mix traditional features with modern simplicity. Hearty gastro-pub styled food is served at the restaurant. A glorious spa. An excellent choice for a family holiday. See More
Orestone Manor Hotel Torquay (South Devon) 11 rooms from £110Garden - Attractive outside space.Great walks - Exe Estuary boasts miles of cycle and foot paths, exceptional views, beauttiful sandy beaches and is teeming with wildlife.Private Hot Tub - Book the Garden Suite for your own private terrace with outdoor hot tub and wonderful sea views.Sights nearby - Torre Abbey and The Agatha Christie Mile are both nearby and great informative day trips!Recommended by - Frommers
Tynedale B&B Torquay (South Devon) 4 rooms from £115Local exploring - Coined as the English Riviera there is a beautiful coastline to be enjoy as well as having easy access to Torquay's attractions.Great walks - Discover the beautiful and dramatic coastline on long walks.Restrictions on children - Children over 15 are welcomeFull of character
A charming B&B in one of Britain's best holiday destinations. Four chic rooms are individually styled with bold colours, plush velvet head boards, contemporary bathrooms and crisp white linen. Indulgent breakfasts and a warm welcome make this the perfect spot for a relaxing escape. See More