- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ Save time, save money
Best Pubs with Rooms in Devon
With Dartmoor close to the southern coast and Exmoor hugging the northern coastline, rising out of a rural idyll of patchwork fields and whitewashed cottages, Devon is both a rural charmer and the perfect destination for a seaside break. Which is why it’s such a great spot for great pubs with rooms. Our Guru’s recommendations for the best pubs with rooms in Devon are a mix of cosy haunts and escapes and chic remodels - reflecting Devon’s change in image.
If you’re visiting Devon to walk, cycle, fish, lie on the beach or just escape to somewhere beautiful, you’ll find a great place to stay on our Guru’s list of the best pubs with rooms in Devon. The sandy northern beaches are much loved by surfers, but Dartmouth is known for the picturesqueness of its town and surrounding coastline. Dartmoor has the rugged, varied landscape of bare moors and pockets of trees, and of course the wild ponies and spectacular walking trails. Or for townies there's colourful seaside charmer, Torquay and Exeter with its Roman origins…
Basically the county offers a wealth of experiences for visitors and by choosing to stay in one of the best pubs with rooms in Devon you’ll have a friendly base, with excellent food, and somewhere to spend your evenings.
The Best Pubs with Rooms in Devon
- The Cott Inn in Darlington, right between Dartmoor and the South Devon coastline, is a picturesque building in a picturesque spot. It’s one of England’s oldest inns and the perfect country escape with a snug bar and an excellent restaurant.
- The Rock Inn is located within Dartmoor National Park, so ideal for walkers and nature lovers. Rooms are full of character, some with four posters, and the food is top notch (2AA rosettes were awarded in 2016).
The Best Value Pubs with Rooms in Devon
- The Red Lion overlooks Clovelly harbour, and has 17 neutral, but attractive rooms, some of them with sea views. The bar and restaurant are cosy and friendly and it’s got a very traditional seaside holiday feel to it. Rooms start from around £100 per night.
- The Seagate is also on Devon's north coast, and enjoys lovely views of the pretty fishing village of Appledore. There are just ten stylish rooms and prices start from as little as £80 per night including breakfast.
For Devon's south coast
- The Masons Arms in Branscombe is a traditional pub in a pretty coastal village. The accommodation is charming and the food won't disappoint either.
- The Cary Arms enjoys a seafront location with fabulous views over Babbacombe Beach. Rooms are chic and for families there are three self catering cottages. There's excellent gastropub fare and an outdoor barbecue and pizza oven during the summer months.
If you haven’t found your idea of the best pubs with rooms in Devon on our Guru’s list you could:
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Devon,
- expand your search to include the best pubs with rooms in Dorset,
- or all the best pubs with rooms in the South West,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
The Best Pubs with Rooms in Devon
The Cott Inn 5 rooms from $143Dartington, Devon
The picturesque Cott Inn brims with history and charm. One of England's oldest remaining thatched inn's, between the Dartmoor National Park and the spectacular South Devon coastline. The perfect country escape with a snug bar, an excellent restaurant and delightful upstairs rooms.Country Escape - The perfect country escape in a historic thatched house surrounded by lovely gardens and bordered by the Dartmoor National Park.Local exploring - Perfect for exploring the beautiful surrounding Devonshire countryside.Great walks - This area is packed with excellent walking trails and routes, ask at the bar for personal favourites.Sights nearby - History buffs will be glad to hear, Dartmouth Castle is within ten miles.
The Red Lion 17 rooms from $130Clovelly, Devon
A charming family friendly hotel overlooking Clovelly Harbour. Seventeen attractive rooms decorated in a neutral palette with splashes of blue and green to reflect the nautical feel. Cosy bar and restaurant serving up the best of day's catch. Great option for a traditional seaside holiday.Views - All rooms boast either sea or harbour viewsGreat walks - South West Coastal Path on the doorstepFull of characterSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
The Rock Inn 9 rooms from $124Newton Abbot, Devon
Welcoming guests since the 1800's this country inn is located within Dartmoor National Park. It is traditional in style with exposed beams and antique decor. There is a charming self contained holiday rental cottage, plus dogs are welcome! The restaurant focuses on fresh, local fish and good wine.Sights nearby - Buckfast Abbey (famous for their tonic wine), Castle Drogo, Powderham Castle are a short drive.Great walks - Yarner Wood The nearby Yarner Wood is superb for walking.Views - Great views from hotelFull of characterRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
The Seagate 10 rooms from $104Appledore, Devon
With views of the charming fishing village this 17th century inn is a great family stay. The decor hints at its nautical location with light palettes, blue stripes and cushions, as well as exposed beams and extra beds. The menu's emphasis is on fresh local fish, complemented with fine wines.Sailing - Whether for purpose or pleasure you can book a boat trip with 'Appledore Leisure Cruise and Fishing Trips'Great walks - Traverse part of the South West Coastal Path.Sights nearby - Powderham Castle is worth a visit.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Masons Arms 27 rooms from $124Branscombe, Devon
Traditional country pub in a pretty coastal village. Cosy and stylish rooms - muted tones with real wood accents and antique touches. Fine ales and classic dishes, with the beach only a short walk away. A great place to rest your head whilst discovering East Devon’s Jurassic coastline.Restaurant - Features lobster and crab landed on Branscombe beach. It has held a Michelin star for more than 10 years.Foodies - The restaurant holds a Michelin star, and they run monthly masterclasses if you're keen to learn!Beach nearby - Branscombe Beach a 10 minute walkCooking classes - Cookery masterclasses are held on the first Wednesday of the month.Recommended by - Sawdays
Cary Arms 8 rooms from $254Torquay (South Devon)
A boutique hotel with the charm of a British pub. The cliff top position makes for stunning views. Chic white washed rooms mix traditional features with modern simplicity. Hearty gastro-pub styled food is served at the restaurant. A glorious spa. An excellent choice for a family holiday.Total relaxation - Lazy days eating seafood on the terrace, followed by customised holistic treatments in the spa using Yon-Ka products.Families - Three cottages with three, four or five rooms are ideal for families.Great walks - Jump onto the South West Coast Path National Trail spanning for 630 miles through stunning landscapes.Fishing - The Inn provides rods for the pier and nets for fishing in rock pools.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Johansens, Sawdays