20 of the Best Pubs with Rooms in Devon
With Dartmoor close to the southern coast and Exmoor hugging the northern coastline, rising out of a rural idyll of patchwork fields and whitewashed cottages, Devon is both a rural charmer and the perfect destination for a seaside break. With such obvious natural attractions, it is not surprising that you can find a great choice of stand out pubs. Our Guru’s recommendations for the best pubs with rooms in Devon are a mix of cosy haunts and escapes, and chic remodels - reflecting Devon’s change in image over the years.
- The Cott Inn in Darlington, right between Dartmoor and the South Devon coastline, is a picturesque building in a picturesque spot. It’s one of England’s oldest inns and the perfect country escape with a snug bar and an excellent restaurant.
- The Rock Inn is located within Dartmoor National Park, so ideal for walkers and nature lovers. Rooms are full of character, some with four posters, and the food is top notch (2AA rosettes were awarded in 2016).
- Tytherleigh Arms is a charming coaching inn located near the East Devon Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. There are great walks to be found at the magnificent Golden Cap while the pub itself is cosy and traditional with comfortable rooms and a superb restaurant.
For Great Value
- The Seagate is situated on Devon's north coast and enjoys lovely views of the pretty fishing village of Appledore. There are just ten stylish rooms and great restaurant specialising in local seafood.
- Rose & Crown is a charming traditional inn which has undergone a chic renovation. Rooms are classic and simple, the restaurant serves up high-quality pub food and there are lovely walks nearby along the river Yealm.
- The Lamb Inn offers just seven cosy rooms. Packed full of character the pub area features beamed ceilings, exposed stone, uneven walls, and fireplaces. An owner-managed property that has a warm local feel. The price tag makes this appealing choice for a rural weekend break.
For Devon's south coast
- The Masons Arms in Branscombe is a traditional pub in a pretty coastal village. The accommodation is charming and the food won't disappoint either.
- The Cary Arms enjoys a seafront location with fabulous views over Babbacombe Beach. Rooms are chic and for families, there are three self-catering cottages. There's excellent gastropub fare and an outdoor barbecue and pizza oven during the summer months.
- Bayards Cove Inn is set in a quaint half timber building in Dartmouth overlooking the estuary. This property's modus operandi is to do the simple things well and the hotel staff make good on this. Expect an excellent restaurant, comfortable rooms and a beautiful coastal setting.
- The Hope and Anchor is a quaint inn boasting an enviable location on Devon's beautiful Hope Cove. Simply dressed rooms boast glorious sea views while quintessentially British dishes are served in the atmospheric restaurant with particularly good seafood. Coastal perfection.
- The Ness House is a real stand out property. A pretty Victorian house occupying an enviable spot on the Devon coastline. Charming interiors are the epitome of rustic chic filled with antiques and the best rooms boast large copper baths. The popular gastropub completes the picture at this boutique stay.
- The Cricket Inn is a charming inn boasting a fabulous spot on the Devon coast. Nautically themed rooms are bright and fresh. Pick this property for the award winning restaurant which serves up quintessential British fare and specialises in seafood.
For Devon's North Coast
- The Red Lion overlooks Clovelly harbour and has 17 neutral, but attractive rooms, some of them with sea views. The bar and restaurant are cosy and friendly and it’s got a very traditional seaside holiday feel to it.
For Dartmoor National Park
- The Globe Inn is set in the heart of the pretty market town of Chagford - ideal for accessing the moors. Stylish rooms are spacious and bright with large sash windows and sink-into beds. A lively restaurant serves traditional fare and is the real beating heart of the property.
- Three Crowns is another Chagford option. Cosy rooms perfectly mix contemporary and traditional styles while the fabulous restaurant showcases the best of local produce. A very comfortable base to return to after a day spent on the moors.
- The Elephant's Nest Inn boasts a spectacular position located right on the edge of the national park. Enjoy far reaching views from one of the three cosy rooms and dine in the fantastic pub which oozes character and charm. An intimate stay ideal for a rural hideaway.
- Located within the national park The Dartmoor Inn is another small property with just three rooms. Beautifully renovated, the decor is simple yet stylish. Well known for its gastropub which is a popular local spot.
- Ring of Bells Inn is a picturesque 13th-century inn set right in the heart Dartmoor. Having undergone a renovation the five rooms are fresh and bright with simple whitewashed walls and luxury bathrooms. The cosy pub serves local brews and modern British fare. A tough one to beat.
- Live and Let Live Inn is a chic gastropub within spitting distance of Dartmoor. The three rooms are fresh and bright with whitewashed walls juxtaposed with exposed brick. However, the lively bar and restaurant serving high quality British fare are the real draw.
- The Millbrook Inn offers the best of both worlds in South Pool. A stylish one-bedroom loft style apartment located above a charming pub giving the option to self-cater if you choose. The traditional pub serves a wide range of local beers and hearty British dishes.
Still not sure which to book?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Devon,
- expand your search to include the best pubs with rooms in Dorset?
- Or all the best pubs with rooms in the South West,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
The Cott Inn Dartington, Devon 5 rooms from £110Country Escape - The perfect country escape in a historic thatched house surrounded by lovely gardens and bordered by the Dartmoor National Park.Local exploring - Perfect for exploring the beautiful surrounding Devonshire countryside.Great walks - This area is packed with excellent walking trails and routes, ask at the bar for personal favourites.Sights nearby - History buffs will be glad to hear, Dartmouth Castle is within ten miles.
The picturesque Cott Inn brims with history and charm. One of England's oldest remaining thatched inn's, between the Dartmoor National Park and the spectacular South Devon coastline. The perfect country escape with a snug bar, an excellent restaurant and delightful upstairs rooms. See More
The Red Lion, Devon Clovelly, Devon 17 rooms from £170Restaurant - Specialising in freshly caught seafood and other locally sourced ingredients.Views - All rooms boast either sea or harbour viewsGreat walks - South West Coastal Path on the doorstepFull of character
A charming family friendly hotel overlooking Clovelly Harbour. Seventeen attractive rooms decorated in a neutral palette with splashes of blue and green to reflect the nautical feel. Cosy bar and restaurant serving up the best of day's catch. Great option for a traditional seaside holiday. See More
The Rock Inn Newton Abbot, Devon 9 rooms from £95Sights nearby - Buckfast Abbey (famous for their tonic wine), Castle Drogo, Powderham Castle are a short drive.Great walks - Yarner Wood The nearby Yarner Wood is superb for walking.Views - Great views from hotelFull of characterRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Welcoming guests since the 1800's this country inn is located within Dartmoor National Park. It is traditional in style with exposed beams and antique decor. There is a charming self contained holiday rental cottage, plus dogs are welcome! The restaurant focuses on fresh, local fish and good wine. See More
The Seagate Appledore, Devon 10 rooms from £105Sailing - Whether for purpose or pleasure you can book a boat trip with 'Appledore Leisure Cruise and Fishing Trips'Great walks - Traverse part of the South West Coastal Path.Sights nearby - Powderham Castle is worth a visit.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
With views of the charming fishing village this 17th century inn is a great family stay. The decor hints at its nautical location with light palettes, blue stripes and cushions, as well as exposed beams and extra beds. The menu's emphasis is on fresh local fish, complemented with fine wines. See More
The Cricket Inn Devon 7 rooms from £140Country Escape - A remote setting offering breathtaking sea views, ideal for total escapism.Great walks - Take long walks along the stunning South West Coast Path.Surfing - Hit the waves on the popular surf spot, Bantham Beach.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
A charming inn boasting a fabulous spot on the pristine Devon coast. Nautically themed rooms are bright and white with pops of blue coming from the soft furnishings. An award winning restaurant serves up quintessential British fare and specialises in seafood. A delightful rural escape. See More
Masons Arms, Devon Branscombe, Devon 27 rooms from £99Local exploring - A lovely low key base from which to explore the delights of South DevonBeach nearby - Branscombe Beach a 10 minute walkSights nearby - Branscombe is full of lovingly restored historic buildings and the Jurassic Coast is on the doorstep.Great walks - Explore the Jurassic coast on the South West Coastal pathRecommended by - Sawdays
Traditional country pub in a pretty coastal village. Cosy and stylish rooms - muted tones with real wood accents and antique touches. Fine ales and classic dishes, with the beach only a short walk away. A great place to rest your head whilst discovering East Devon’s Jurassic coastline. See More
Cary Arms Torquay 21 rooms from £163Exclusive offer - 15% OFFTotal relaxation - Lazy days eating seafood on the terrace, followed by customised holistic treatments in the spa using Yon-Ka products.Families - Three cottages with three, four or five rooms are ideal for families.Great walks - Jump onto the South West Coast Path National Trail spanning for 630 miles through stunning landscapes.Fishing - The Inn provides rods for the pier and nets for fishing in rock pools.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
A boutique hotel with the charm of a British pub. The cliff top position makes for stunning views. Chic white washed rooms mix traditional features with modern simplicity. Hearty gastro-pub styled food is served at the restaurant. A glorious spa. An excellent choice for a family holiday. See More
The Millbrook Inn Kingsbridge, Devon 1 rooms from £150Local exploring - Tucked in the heart of Devon's south coast near Slapton Sands, it's perfect for exploring the surrounding area.Birdwatching - Slapton Sands and the surrounding coastline is a haven for birdwatchers.Great walks - Go for lovely walks along the nearby river.Sights nearby - Go and visit Dartmouth Castle.
A charming pub in South Pool that offers one delightful loft-style apartment. The Millbrook Inn is centred around an old school English pub that focuses on local beers and excellent food in the restaurant. The upstairs apartment is stylish and comfortable with facilities for self-catering. See More
Rose & Crown Plymouth, Devon 8 rooms from £79Local exploring - A great base for exploring Yealmpton and the surrounding countryside.Sights nearby - Visit the lovely nearby Cathedral Church of St Mary and St Boniface.Great walks - Go for lovely walks along the river Yealm.Restaurant - Recommended.
Immediately striking due to an orange facade, the Rose & Crown is a charming Devonshire inn. Rooms are comfortable and spacious and the hotel restaurant offers delicious local cuisine. A great launchpad from which to explore the beautiful countryside surrounding Yealmpton. See More
The Lamb Inn, Crediton Crediton (South Devon) 7 rooms from £80Local exploring - A great base for exploring the Devonshire countryside north of Exeter.Sights nearby - Take a day trip to Exeter and visit the cathedral and castle.Great walks - The surrounding area is full of beautiful walking routes.Restaurant - Recommended.
Bayards Cove Inn Dartmouth (South Devon) 7 rooms from £115Great walks - Go for lovely walks on the nearby beaches such as Blackpool Sands.Sights nearby - Ten minutes walk from the magnificent Dartmouth Castle.Fishing - Sea fishing trips can be organised by the hotel.Restaurant - Recommended.
Set a beautiful historic townhouse, Bayards Cove Inn is a classy establishment in Dartmouth. Its modus operandi is to do the simple things well and the hotel staff make good on this. Excellent restaurant, comfortable rooms and a beautiful setting overlooking the Dartmouth estuary all help of course. See More
Tytherleigh Arms Axminster, Devon 6 rooms from £90Sights nearby - Take a day trip to the lovely Devonshire town of Axminster.Great walks - Go walking at the magnificent Golden Cap.Restaurant - Recommended.
Live and Let Live Inn Devon 3 rooms from £120Country Escape - A trendy rural inn set within easy reach of Devon's most famed rural attractions including Dartmoor and the English RivieraRestaurant - Serving delicious local, season fare. Don't miss their weekly zero waste evenings!Great walks - Lace up your walking boots and spend a day traversing across the moorsSights nearby - Visit the seaside towns of Paignton, Brixham or Torquay
A beautifully renovated inn set amidst picturesque Devon countryside near to Dartmoor. The three rooms are fresh and bright with whitewashed walls juxtaposed with exposed brick walls. The best room has an in-room freestanding tub. The gastropub is locally popular and has a lively vibe. Rural chic. See More
The Globe Inn, Chagford Chagford (Dartmoor) 7 rooms from £95Active Holiday - Dartmoor National Park offers a plethora of outdoor pursuits.Great walks - Explore the miles of secenic walking trails that run through Dartmoor.Full of characterLively - Hip and happening.
An atmospheric inn set in the heart of the pretty market town of Chagford. Individually styled rooms are spacious and bright with large sash windows and boldly patterned fabrics in soft hues. A lively restaurant serves traditional fare using local produce. Perfect for exploring the moors. See More
The Ness House Devon 9 rooms from £130Country Escape - A charming coastal property complete with a buzzy gastro pub. An ideal rural hideawaySailing - Take the small foot ferry from Shaldon across to TeignmouthGreat walks - Explore the coastline on long picturesque walksFull of character
A pretty Victorian house occupying an enviable spot on the Devon coastline. Charming interiors are the epitome of rustic chic. Rooms feature cast-iron beds, nautically inspired nic-nacks and the best have large copper tubs. Downstairs there's a popular gastropub. A perfect rural escape. See More
Ring of Bells Inn Newton Abbot, Devon 5 rooms from £115Country Escape - With walking opportunities all round, roaring fires to return to and excellent cuisine this is a perfect rural hideawayGreat walks - Get your hiking boots on and plan a route across the moorsSights nearby - Visit the nearby Grimspound’s Bronze Age settlementFull of character
A charming 13th-century inn set in the heart of Dartmoor. Having undergone a renovation the five rooms are fresh and bright, with simple whitewashed walls offset with smart contemporary prints and the bathrooms are reassuringly indulgent. The cosy pub serves local brews and modern British fare. See More
Three Crowns Chagford (Dartmoor) 21 rooms from £105Active Holiday - With Dartmoor National Park on your doorstep there's a host of outdoor activities on offer.Great walks - Stroll through Stone Lane Gardens, an enchanting 5-acre woodland garden on the edge of the Dartmoor National Park.Fishing - Try your hand at fly-fishing on Dartmoor’s rivers and lakes.Full of character
A charming inn set in Chagford and surrounded by the rugged and beautiful Dartmoor National park. Simply dressed rooms mix contemporary and traditional styles with feature wallpaper, crisp white linen and soft hues. A fabulous restaurant beautifully showcases local produce. See More
The Elephant's Nest Inn Mary Tavy, Devon 3 rooms from £110Great walks - There are lots of wonderful walking routes right from the Inn.Sights nearby - Take a trip to nearby Lydford Castle.Romantic - Good for couples.Restaurant - Recommended.
The Dartmoor Inn Okehampton, Devon 3 rooms from £115Local exploring - A great base for exploring the Dartmoor National Park.Great walks - The surrounding countryside is full of beautiful walking routes.Restaurant - Recommended.Full of character
The Hope and Anchor South Devon 11 rooms from £115Country Escape - Boasting a fabulous location in one of Devon's prettiest coves and surrounded by glorious walking country.Great walks - Discover fantastic South Devon AONB, with endless peaceful countryside, rolling hills, stunning coastline and hidden coves.Fishing - Deep-sea fishing expeditions leave from nearby Salcombe.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.