11 of the Best Spa Hotels in Devon
Devon offers the best of two worlds when it comes to spa backdrops: both the breezy, bracing coast with its health-giving sea air, and the rugged moorlands with their dramatic views and opportunities for a health-inducing ramble. Actually, it offers a lot more than that, for starters there’s the peaceful, rural idyllic bits and the bustling market-town-y bits. But most of our picks for the best spa hotels in Devon are on the coast, or close to Dartmoor or Exmoor. Aside from the exceptional range of views, Devon’s spa hotels offer an exceptional range of treatments, decors and possibilities, with some great family-friendly options as well as the sort of romantic spa escapes you might imagine where you think of spa hotels. We’ve also found that the best spa hotels in Devon come in a good range of price brackets.
Devon’s Most Romantic Spa Hotels
- The majority of the 50 boutique rooms and suites at the Salcombe Harbour Hotel overlook the estuary with its picture perfect sailing boats. The spa, restaurant and terraces, and some of the bathrooms as well, also have incredible views! All the suites come with ‘balcony baskets’ which include binoculars, throws, books and complimentary gin and sherry. And that really sets the scene for this ‘hotel with the lot’. Since their recent refurbishment, where they improved the pool and spa facilities further, they also have a 16 seat cinema and a new pontoon with access to watersports kit. Romantic and indulgent doesn’t cover it.
Some of the Most Luxurious Spa Hotels
- Just outside Chagford on Dartmoor, Bovey Castle is a grand country house hotel and home of the UK’s flagship SUNDARI spa. With 64 rooms, suites and family apartments, this hotel is the perfect place for a pampering, whatever the configuration of your party. If you’re looking for romance you’ll find it on windswept walks on the moors, in bespoke spa treatments and in the elegant Edwardian Grill restaurant. If you’re here with your family you can distract your kids with the Lego room service while you enjoy a treatment or two, then go meet the ferrets and falcons, try archery or croquet and dine in the family-friendly Castle Bistro. If you want an active break there are tennis courts, riding, fishing and golf facilities and an impressive gym.
Devon’s Best Spa Escapes
- Escape to the rugged beauty of Dartmoor National Park and Boringdon Hall Hotel, a wonderfully castle-esque manor house with a superb blend of original features and modern convenience and comfort. Try the state-of-the-art Gaia spa, regularly referred to as one of the best in Devon. Expect some vast spaces, with vast windows, huge stone fireplaces and doors five times the width of your door at home, but many of the 40 rooms could be transposed into a hotel built this year without causing a stir, so it’s up to you how Tudor-era you want to get. This hotel offers five stars worth of adults-only escape.
- Northcote Manor is a 16 room country house hotel converted from an elegant 18th century manor house in the Taw Valley, a rural idyll just inland from Barnstaple. This is the perfect place for a relaxing weekend break, offering the simple pleasures of good food, rural views and tranquility. And a luxurious spa, of course! One with a hot tub, sauna and steam rooms, as well as a gym and treatment rooms. It’s set in 20 acres of gardens and woodland, including a secret walled garden, apple orchards and a Japanese water garden.
- For a spa break escape by the water consider the Dart Marina Hotel, in Dartmouth’s buzzy marina. For some of us there’s something extra healing about being close to the sea, and if that’s you, then book into one of their rooms, suites or self-contained apartments and relax in front of the river views before hitting the luxurious spa, which offers a range of holistic as well as traditional treatments, and the AA Rosette-awarded restaurant. This is the perfect spot for sailors and golfers too.
The Best Spa Hotels on the Coast
- On the cliffs, right beside the Coast Path, and overlooking a panorama of Devon’s coast, is Gara Rock, a stylish, modern hotel with 12 rooms and suites and a collection of family-friendly self-catering cottages. From the spa you can expect a good range of treatments and spectacular views, especially from the indoor pool. From the rooms expect big windows and big views — the loft suites are especially good for views, and a mid-century feel. The restaurant is gourmet, there’s an onsite cinema for cosy winter evenings and in summer they offer a yoga session at sunrise.
- The Thurlestone Hotel is a family-friendly, 65 room property on the South Devon coast, with fantastic spa facilities, and great facilities all round. Starting with the spa, which offers a range of treatments and therapies, a hot tub and a pool, or try the gym, where there’s a dedicated Personal Trainer. And then maybe on to one of the two tennis courts? or the golf course? You and your family might like to play croquet on the lawns, or go fishing? Then you could take a stroll before eating in the restaurant or the pub. The views are lovely, and you’re close to the beach too.
- On the South Devon coast, just back from the Jurassic Coast, you’ll find the Sidmouth Harbour Hotel, a light, airy hotel with a nautical feel, lots of floor to ceiling sea-views and a spoiling spa. It has 57 rooms and suites, an excellent restaurant which specialises in British classics and both indoor and outdoor pools. This is a great spot if you want to relax, and see some sights on your spa break.
Devon’s Best Family-friendly Spa Hotels
- North Devon’s Saunton Sands Hotel offers the quintessential family holiday to the seaside, but wrapped up in a package that includes not just a range of family rooms, suites and apartments, but also an extremely comprehensive spa. And they offer you two hours complimentary childcare per-day in their kid’s club so that you can use the spa facilities with ease. They also offer a free Saturday morning yoga session, which your kids can join in with. The ‘sands’ part of the name is accurate too: the hotel is right on the beach, with an outdoor heated swimming pool on a grassy terrace above the beach, but there’s an indoor pool too, and a 2AA Rosette fine dining restaurant.
- The Cary Arms doesn’t call itself a spa hotel, but it has an excellent spa known for its Yon-Ka products and good range of treatments, so we think it’s worth including. It’s not particularly easy to classify, it’s a sort of boutique inn with the charm of a traditional British seaside pub, but with newly built extra cottages and beach huts, some of which suit families, that run down the slope towards the water’s edge. Including the more traditionally proportioned rooms in the main building there are 21 rooms, the majority of which have wonderful water views. Some rooms are pet friendly too. Creating a really relaxed environment where the benefits of your spa treatments will last.
For great value
- With rugged Dartmoor views from all 25 rooms, the Ilsington Country House offers a starkly cosy and comfortable contrast on the inside, with a soft colour palette and some warming tartans. Their restaurant is a fabulous exponent of local produce and the spa itself is wonderfully indulgent, combining the latest in wellbeing technology with touches of ancient Tibetan philosophy. Bring your family, be your kids two legged or four and relax amongst the peace and moor views.
If you haven’t found your idea of the best spa hotels in Devon on our Guru’s list of 11 you could:
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Devon.
- Or refine your search to just our recommendations for 15 of Devon's Most Romantic Hotels, or the 10 Best Hotels with Hot Tubs in Devon.
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Salcombe Harbour Hotel South Devon 50 rooms from £295Suites - All rooms come with 'balcony baskets' with binoculars throws and books, complimentary gin and sherrySit-out Terrace - Wonderful terraces with sunloungers and glorious views of the harbour, estuary and out to sea.Restaurant - The Jetty Restaurant is both chic and family friendly with mouthwatering seafood lunch barParking - Cars are left on the hotel state of the art turntable and valet parked!
On the edge of bustling and picture postcard Salcombe this stunning newly refurbished boutique hotel has everything one could wish for. Magnificently situated, overlooking the estuary with its sailing boats, sandy beaches and a short walk into town. Wonderful terraces, spa and pool, cinema. Bliss See More
Bovey Castle Chagford 64 rooms from £229Child friendly - Daily egg collecting, meet the ferrets and falconry displays. Colouring books & crayons for little ones at meal times!Spa - UK's flagship SUNDARI spaFamiliesRestaurant - The Edwardian Grill for fine dining and Castle Bistro for more family friendly fare.Recommended by - Tablet, Frommers, Small Luxury Hotels
Boringdon Hall Hotel Plymouth (South Devon) 40 rooms from £155Foodies - Serious foodies will not be disappointed with the 3AA Rosette fine dining restaurant AcleafSpa breaks - Unwind in the state-of-the-art Gaia spa, one of the best in Devon.Restaurant - Choose between the stunning fine dining or more relaxed Mayflower BrasserieGreat walks - Spend days exploring the rugged countryside of Dartmoor National Park.
A five star Country House and spa located next to the beautiful Dartmoor National Park. Smart rooms perfectly mix traditional and contemporary styles, the best featuring heavy four posters and in-room free standing baths. An extensive spa and innovative restaurant make this a very special stay. See More
Dart Marina Hotel Dartmouth (South Devon) 49 rooms from £160Sailing - This hotel is places perfectly for sailing enthusiasts of all abilities.Swimming Pool - Indoor heated pool with dedicated hours for family friendly swimming.Sights nearby - Dartmouth and Kingswear Castle are both nearby and a great day out!Spa - Offering a wide range of holistic and luxury treatments.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
This property, in Dartmouth's buzzing harbour has a luxury spa and an AA Rosette awarded restaurant. Chic rooms in pale palettes are bright with large windows overlooking the River Dart. There are also self-contained apartments. This property is perfectly located to explore Dartmoor. See More
Northcote Manor Burrington, Devon 16 rooms from £170Views - Fine views over the Taw ValleyGarden - 20 acres of lawn and woodlandSpa - Luxury spa facilities including hot tub, sauna, steam room, gym and treatment rooms.Restaurant - Seasonal à la carte restaurant.Recommended by - Sawdays
Gara Rock South Devon 12 rooms from £168Country Escape - This cosy, stylish retreat is set on the beautiful Devon cliffs, ideal for refreshing windswept walks and coastal explorationFamilies - The self-contained cottages are perfect for a family holiday, with self-catering facilities availableRomantic Break - Book a loft suite for romantic views over the dramatic Devon coastlineGreat walks - There are a host of picturesque coastal trails to explore; ask your hosts for recommendations for your itinerary
This clifftop hotel is located in East Portlemouth, Devon. Choose from loft suites with excellent views or family-friendly self-catering cottages. All feature large windows and a bohemian feel, with jute rugs and block-prints. Sample the gourmet restaurant before booking into the spa; a chic hotel. See More
Sidmouth Harbour Hotel Sidmouth (South Devon) 57 rooms from £205Country Escape - A country house boasting a location on the spectacular Jurassic Coast, ideal for a rural getaway.Sights nearby - Visit Sidmouth's interesting Norman Lockyer observatory.Great walks - Take long walks along the Jurassic Coast.Kayaking - Explore the coast from the sea by kayak.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Sawdays
A nautically inspired hotel set on the famed Jurassic Coast. Light and airy rooms are decorated with soft hues and have floor to ceiling windows (the best are sea facing). Boasting both a spoiling spa and an excellent restaurant serving British classics. A fabulous spot for a weekend getaway. See More
Thurlestone Hotel Kingsbridge, Devon 65 rooms from £150Local exploring - From hidden beaches to National Trust Properties and pretty seaside villages, there's masses to see and do.Sights nearby - Within a short drive there is a wide range of museums, castles, National Trust properties and pretty seaside towns to exploreTennis - Thurlestone has two all weather courts with racquets and balls to borrow if required.Spa - The Voyage Spa offers a good range of beauty therapies, plus pool and hot tub
A charming family friendly property on the South Devon coast with superb facilities for all ages. There's a wide range of rooms with a traditional yet contemporary feel - many with a private balcony and sea view, plus award winning fine dining, superb spa, golf course and much more. See More
Cary Arms Torquay 21 rooms from £163Exclusive offer - 3 for 2Total relaxation - Lazy days eating seafood on the terrace, followed by customised holistic treatments in the spa using Yon-Ka products.Families - Three cottages with three, four or five rooms are ideal for families.Great walks - Jump onto the South West Coast Path National Trail spanning for 630 miles through stunning landscapes.Fishing - The Inn provides rods for the pier and nets for fishing in rock pools.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
A boutique hotel with the charm of a British pub. The cliff top position makes for stunning views. Chic white washed rooms mix traditional features with modern simplicity. Hearty gastro-pub styled food is served at the restaurant. A glorious spa. An excellent choice for a family holiday. See More
Saunton Sands Hotel Nr Braunton, Devon 95 rooms from £206Swimming Pool - Heated indoor and outdoor swimming pools.Sights nearby - Enjoy a day out at Victorian Watermouth Castle; providing a theme park for the kids.Kids Club - A supervised playroom and two hours free childcare per day for under-eights.Spa - A comprehensive facility offering all you could want to relax and unwind.
Quintessential family seaside hotel with a spectacular setting on the North Devon coast. Stylish contemporary accommodation in neutral muted hues, with flexible options from doubles to family apartments. Top class on-site facilities for sports, relaxation & family fun plus 2AA Rosette fine dining. See More
Ilsington Country House Dartmoor, Devon 25 rooms from £140Spa breaks - A country house and contemporary spa which uses the latest technology alongside touches of ancient Tibetan knowledge.Swimming Pool - Indoor poolViews - Great views from hotelSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
A quintessentially British country house set in beautiful, rugged Dartmoor. Charming rooms feature soft hues, tartan fabrics and sink-into beds. A fabulous restaurant (using the freshest local produce) and indulgent spa are a welcome respite after a day spent on the moors. See More