Search the best hotels in Alaska
An epic wilderness beloved by intrepid outdoor explorers, Alaska is legendary. Think vast national parks, spectacular forests, mountains and glaciers to admire, and heaps of adventures for you and your family to experience on one of North America’s final frontiers. The best places to stay in Alaska range from rustic cabins to family-friendly resorts and indulgent hideaways far from human habitation. Our picks include great spots for a whole array of tastes and budgets — from central city chic to accessible-only-by-private-plane remote. The trip of a lifetime awaits!
Base yourself in Anchorage if you’re eager to see Alaska at its most lively. The city boasts an appealing downtown buzz, as well as intriguing historic attractions — such as the Anchorage Museum — and easy access to the state’s natural wonders. The pretty state capital of Juneau also makes for fascinating visiting, whilst Sitka is the place to go for an insight into Alaska’s Russian past. Beyond the city, the possibilities are endless. Venture to 6-million-acre Denali National Park for some formidable mountain climbing, head to Wrangell-St Elias — the USA’s largest national park — for incredible wildlife, spot whales in Southeast Alaska and in the Kenai Fjords National Park, or marvel at sea lions, orcas and horned puffins in Glacier Bay National Park. Alaska brims with opportunities for hiking, climbing, fishing, kayaking, cycling and more. Gaze at huge brown bears on Kodiak Island or ride the USA’s northernmost railway line on the Denali Star before retracing the steps of those lured north by the chance to find gold and watching the Northern Lights dance across the expansive night sky.
With myriad marvels for travellers of all ages to experience, Alaska is an incredible destination for thrill-seekers and nature lovers. Book a room — or a cabin — at one of the best places to stay in Alaska, and immerse yourself in the magic of this awe-inspiring region. There’s an exciting array of annual events, too, so do your research before you pick your dates!
The Best Places to Stay in Alaska
For a city stay
- Hotel Captain Cook offers luxurious rooms and suites in downtown Anchorage. Think striking city and sea views, four restaurants and a pool. A great choice for families, couples or business travellers looking for a smart place to stay in the city.
For a contemporary mountain resort
- Alyeska Resort is a fantastic, family-friendly resort surrounded by the picturesque Alaskan wilderness, yet just 40 miles from Anchorage. Contemporary rooms offer flexible family options, there are five eateries, an indoor pool and heaps of outdoor activities to enjoy — from bear-spotting to mountain biking, skiing to hiking and more. Secluded but boasting all the mod-cons, this is a top winter or summer pick for travellers of all ages.
- Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge promises a classic Alaskan resort holiday, complete with superb views of Denali and a characterful interior, dominated by a river-rock fireplace and huge wooden beams. Expect award-winning cuisine, smart, modern rooms with space for the whole family, and easy access to the mountain town of Talkeetna, ideal for exploring.
For rustic cabins
- Denali Cabins offers 46 cedar lodges tucked amidst the wilderness of the Denali National Park. Pick this place for its rustic charm, tranquil atmosphere and brilliant location — perfect for outdoorsy explorers looking to immerse themselves in the wonders of the National Park. Simple and great value, too.
- Backcountry Lodge is an attractive collection of cosy riverside cabins in the Denali National Park. Featuring pine walls and ceilings, comfortable beds and gorgeous forest views, this is a top spot for those looking to get back to nature at a low-key, traditional property. Highlights include the great food, massages and plethora of activities — from fishing to yoga. Fun for the whole family, with space for everyone in the larger cabins.
For an Indulgent Hideaway
- Stillpoint Lodge is a spectacular hideaway, fusing the ultimate remote cabin experience with some very special luxurious touches. Spruce cabins face stunning Kachemak Bay and there's an extensive range of activities to try, including yoga, kayaking, specialised eco-tours, art classes, fishing, cycling and more. Book the whole place for a big party or a multi-generational family holiday!
- Ultima Thule Lodge can only be reached by private plane and sleeps up to 14 guests in total, ensuring absolute seclusion for a once-in-a-lifetime adventure on the banks of a glacier river in the Wrangell-St. Elias Mountains. Featuring fabulous farm-to-table fare and an amazing chance to retreat into nature, this is one for those looking to experience Alaska at its most wild and remote.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY Cabin
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly into Anchorage, Juneau or Sitka Airports — depending on where in Alaska you're headed — and continue to your destination by bus or car.
- Alternatively, contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel between June and August for long days of sunshine and the annual solstice festivals, as well as great fishing and snow-free mountain passes in July/August — though this is peak tourist season. Alternatively, time your trip for May or September for hotel offers and a quieter stay. Many places close between October and April (when it gets very cold) so do check before you plan your holiday!
STILL NOT SURE?
Best Hotels in Alaska
Talkeetna Alaskan Lodge Talkeetna, Alaska 212 rooms from £125Back to Nature - Nature surrounds you here. Enjoy stunning mountain views, thick forest surroundings and a rushing river nearbyActive Holiday - Spend active days outdoors hiking, cycling, boating, fishing and enjoy the surrounding natural landscapesRestaurant - Both restaurants offer traditional Alaskan cuisine including seafood, steaks and gameWhirlpool Bathtub - Suites come with spa baths
A classic all-American holiday resort in the Alaskan wilderness. Manicured grounds surround the main lodge whose interiors make good use of local wood and stone & features a huge river rock fireplace. Dining options range from fine dining to casual fare. Expect a plethora of activities for all ages. See More
Denali Cabins McKinley Park, Alaska 46 rooms from £132Back to Nature - A unique escape to nature with the chance to see the Northern Lights (seasonally) and bears plus stunning landscapesActive Holiday - Set within Denali National Park, there are a wide range of outdoor pursuits right on the doorstepGreat walks - Spend the day exploring the numerous hiking trails that run through Denali National ParkRestaurant - Hearty pub classics and Alaskan fare is served in the restaurant
A collection of rustic cabins set just outside Denali National Park. Wooden cabins are simply decked out with cosy beds, simple pine furniture, and large private terraces. A laid-back restaurant serves hearty cuisine and the grounds house two hot tubs. An ideal base for an escape to nature. See More
Alyeska Resort Alaska 304 rooms from £144Families - A very family friendly stay with activities to suit everyone, an indoor pool that kids will love and a wide choice of diningActive Holiday - The choice of outdoor pursuits is endless from fishing to bear spotting, hiking to mountain bikingGreat walks - Hiking trails are abundant and range in difficulty to suit all abilities and agesRestaurant - There are a choice of five restaurants and cafes
A secluded resort surrounded by untouched Alaskan wilderness. Comfortable rooms are simply styled drawing attention to the epic views offered from the expansive windows. With an indoor pool, endless activity options, and five dining options - this is perfect family holiday material. See More
Hotel Captain Cook Anchorage, Alaska 546 rooms from £268Local exploring - A good base in Anchorage with everything you could wish for from a big luxury hotel; excellent dining, wellness & shoppingSpa - Free access to hotel Athletic Club is provided which includes massage service, indoor pool and separate men and women’s gymsRestaurant - There are four restaurants on site; including fine-dining French, Italian and American cuisine, plus an English-style pubLively - Hip and happening.
Classic luxury hotel in downtown Anchorage. A huge range of rooms and suites offer great views over both city and sea and are traditionally styled: think brown/beige colour palette with wooden furnishings. Complete with 4 restaurants plus pool and a shopping arcade. Ideal for business or leisure. See More
Denali Backcountry Lodge Alaska 42 rooms from £898Active Holiday - The landscape provides the perfect playground for outdoor enthusiasts with options such as fishing, hiking, and mountain bikingBack to Nature - Located riverside in the heart of Denali National Park, a remote destination to get back to natureSpa - A range of massages on offer plus an activity programme to help guests recover after a day of activityGreat walks - Explore the numerous hiking trails nearby, either independently or with a guide
A collection of cosy cabins boasting a remote and beautiful riverside location in the heart of Denali National Park. Cabins are simply styled with comfortable beds and plenty of pine (plus very efficient heating!). There's no wifi or phone network - a place to really get back to nature. See More
Ultima Thule Lodge Chugiak, Alaska 5 rooms from £3337Active Holiday - The setting is as remote as can be - each day starts by planning where to take the plane to explore, depending on the weatherGroups - Rent out the whole property (max 14 pax) for a once in a life time group getawayFamilies - Some of the cabins have two bedrooms - a good option for small familiesOutstanding location
For the adventure enthusiast, locations don't get better than this. The lodge can only be reached via private plane which becomes the mode of transport for each day's exploration. 5 no-frills cabins are rustic and comfortable and chefs are on-site cooking up a feast. A once in a lifetime experience. See More
Stillpoint Lodge Alaska 7 rooms from £3344Active Holiday - Enjoy once-in-a-lifetime outdoor activities like paddle-boarding under a midnight sun, glacier lake kayaking & helicopter toursHideaway - Come here to get away from it all. It's impossible not to feel refreshed with the endless sea views, skies and fresh airBack to Nature - Watch whales and bears in their natural habitat, enjoy world-class fishing, as well as exploring glaciers and volcanoesFamilies - Ideal for a multigenerational holiday, with plenty of separate accomodation and something on offer for all the family
Luxurious private lodge overlooking stunning Kachemak Bay. Cabin interiors are cosy with lots of native spruce. The main lodge has a very Scandi feel with massive windows to maximise views. All meals included in the price plus fantastic range of activities available. A wilderness wonderland. See More