Search the best hotels in Albany
Settled before New York City, the state capital city Albany obviously lost out in the race for global status with its brash younger sister, but it still has plenty of classic north-eastern sophistication. The seat of state political power is a pleasant mid-sized American city, with plenty to see and do and a quiet pride in its four centuries of history. Our pick of the best places to stay in Albany is situated in the heart of its historic district.
A former Mohican settlement, purloined by Dutch settlers and still showing quite a bit of Dutch influence in its old architecture, Albany is a delight to explore in itself and it offers easy access to the state’s underrated rural hinterland.
What Not To Miss
- Albany is a culinary capital showing the influences of successive waves of immigrants and their distinctive cooking, as well as a place of vibrant nightlife.
- Step aboard the historic USS Slater DE-766, the last remaining destroyer afloat from WW2. It really is a step back in history with visitors able to see how the sailors lived and worked.
- Take a tranquil stroll through Washington Park with lovely flowers and an impressive fountain. The tulip festival in May is also definitely worth seeing.
- The New York State Capitol has to be on your to-do list both for the history and the architecture. It's over 125 years old and really is a wonderful example of 19th century architecture and walking tours can help visitors really make the most of it.
- Learn about the fascinating history of the area at the New York State Museum with lots of items and exhibits such as Native Peoples of New York.
Our selection of the best places to stay in Albany are excellent bases for exploring the town.
For a historic location
- Try the Morgan State House located in the downtown area close to Washington Park. It exudes 19th Century period charm and has a great reputation for the warmth of its welcome.
For an apartment
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday - don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a selection of properties located throughout the city.
- Fly to Albany International Airport located 14km (8.7 miles) from Albany providing primarily domestic flights along with several to Canada.
- Alternatively, catch a train to Albany with rail links to major destinations including New York.
- If you want to rent a car, for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - although it's a year round destination, the peak summer months from June to August offers typically the warmest and driest weather for exploring the city.
Still Not Sure?
- Browse through our list of the best places to stay in Albany
- Expand your search to include our recommendations in New York or Boston
- Or contact, one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Best Hotels in Albany
Morgan State House Albany (New York State) 12 rooms from £97
Located in Albany's historic district this charming 19th century property allows guests to live like a local. Providing homely studio accommodation including kitchenettes and living areas. There is a delightful courtyard gardens and cosy sitting room. A breakfast feast is served each morning.Sights nearby - Learn about Albany's turbulent history at the New York State Museum.Great walks - Walk along the banks of the famous Hudson River.Restrictions on children - Over 16s permitted.Full of character