Search the best hotels in Delaware
The second-smallest of the US states, diminutive Delaware sits between Maryland and New Jersey, on a striking peninsula bordered by the Atlantic Ocean. Expect beautiful dune-backed beaches, picturesque adventures on the mighty Delaware River, and lovely historic towns with inviting museums, eateries and events. Accommodation options range from intimate B&Bs to chic city hotels, fit for a whole host of tastes and budgets. Whether you’re eager to base yourself in vibrant Wilmington or to sink your toes into the sand at Rehoboth Beach, the best places to stay in Delaware promise a maritime escape to remember.
Just an hour’s drive from Philadelphia, Wilmington brims with cultural attractions, including the Delaware History Museum, the Delaware Art Museum and the Delaware Centre for the Contemporary Arts. Longwood Gardens, the Winterthur Museum, Garden & Library and the Nemours Estate are all very special. Venture beyond the city to tour the Brandywine Valley’s wonderful wineries. History buffs — Civil War aficionados in particular — will adore Fort Delaware State Park, close to Wilmington, and the First State Heritage Park in Dover, Delaware’s state capital.
Head towards the Atlantic Coast for spectacular white-sand beaches and opportunities to go sailing, fishing and swimming. You’ll find brilliant walking and cycling trails in Cape Henlopen State Park, as well as along the Delaware River, which is popular for kayaking and canoeing. White Clay Creek State Park is a favourite amongst hikers, anglers and bird watchers. For a lively seaside buzz, look to Rehoboth Beach.
The best places to stay in Delaware can fill up fast during the summer months. Book your trip well in advance to avoid disappointment!
The Best Places to Stay in Delaware
For an Intimate B&B
- Mansion Farm Inn is a charming B&B with just five rooms, a few miles from Delaware's eastern shore beaches. Pick this place for its rich history, friendly innkeepers and wonderfully relaxed, tranquil countryside feel. Perfect for couples.
- Miller-Dunham House B&B sits on three acres of land in the quaint town of Odessa, promising a soothing stay for history and culture buffs. Expect four appealing guestrooms and homemade breakfasts in a quaint, family-run inn.
- Rehoboth Guest House sits just two blocks from the beach. Elegant bedrooms are wonderful for couples or friends, and the atmosphere is very sociable — there's a shared kitchen and sundeck for guests, and some rooms share bathrooms. Laid-back and affordable.
- Canalside Inn is a contemporary, owner-run B&B with fresh rooms featuring bursts of bright blue and green. Large rooms can accommodate groups of friends or families, and dogs are welcome in some spaces. The outdoor pool, hot tub and private balconies all add to the appeal. Great for a Rehoboth Beach holiday.
For a Luxury Beach Break
- The Rehoboth is an attractive luxury hotel in downtown Rehoboth Beach. Unwind in bright, airy rooms with buttery yellow and warm blue hues, before heading to the heated swimming pool, piano lounge or Italian restaurant. For couples, friends or families.
- The Bellmoor is a chic hotel offering 78 rooms and suites, some of which have private balconies and full kitchens. Brilliant for couples, friends or families, this indulgent property offers two swimming pools, a spa and regular shuttles to the Rehoboth Beach Boardwalk. A design-led favourite.
FOR A GRAND City Hotel
- Hotel du Pont is a luxurious property in the heart of Wilmington, just 10 minutes' walk from the Grand Opera House, the University and the DuPont Theatre. Book one of more than two hundred elegant guestrooms and savour fabulous French fare at the hotel's award-winning restaurant, The Green Room. Lavish opulence for couples, business travellers or families in the centre of the city.
FOR a Heritage Retreat
- The Inn & Spa at Montchanin Village is a cluster of 11 beautifully restored historic houses featuring 28 indulgent rooms and suites in the Brandywine Valley. Choose this spot for period charm and absolute tranquility, with a superb spa, lovely gardens and top-notch food. Great for a romantic getaway, striking wedding or group golfing trip.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Most international travellers will find it easiest to fly to Philadelphia International Airport, and to continue to their Delaware destination by car, bus or train. Salibury Regional Airport is well-placed for those visiting Rehoboth Beach.
- Alternatively, contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Expect hot summers, with temperatures reaching 30°C and above in June, July and August. For slightly cooler weather, come during the spring (April - May) or autumn (September - October), when popular spots will also be less crowded.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our pick of all the best places to stay in Wilmington.
- Broaden your search to include the best places to stay in nearby Maryland.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Delaware
Best Hotels in Delaware
Mansion Farm Inn Delaware 4 rooms from £125Total relaxation - A quiet hideaway set in pretty gardens - the perfect spot to prop yourself up beside the pool with a good book for days on endLocal exploring - There's plenty to do locally including exploring national parks, strolling along the coast or discovering local museumsGreat walks - There are several scenic hiking routes nearby. The hosts will happily point you in the right directionRestrictions on children - Children above 14 years are welcome
A historic farm turned quaint B&B, ideal for a quiet hideaway near the coast. Four suites have a boutique feel with polished wood floors, rich hues, fireplaces, and sash windows. A picturesque garden houses a large saltwater pool and the policy is adult-only, making this a truly relaxing stay. See More
Miller-Dunham House B&B Middletown, Delaware 4 rooms from £133Local exploring - From state parks to historic tours of Odessa, there is plenty to do locallyLocal markets - There are several local farmers' markets - great places for sampling regional produceFull of characterGreat walks - Good for walkers.
A charming colonial-style house set in picturesque gardens in historic Odessa. Four rooms are individually designed but each has wooden floors, traditional furnishings, and the two largest have private balconies. The ever warm hosts whip up a gourmet breakfast. A homely base to explore from. See More
The Inn & Spa at Montchanin Village Wilmington 28 rooms from £150Restaurant - Krazy Kat's Restaurant offers fresh, seasonal, and Northeast cuisineSpa - Offers many signature treatments, such as a Hammam Body RitualTraditional - Every room boasts period and reproduction furnitureBack to NatureRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Hotel du Pont Wilmington 217 rooms from £155Sights nearby - Within a 10 minute walk of DuPont Theatre, Grand Opera House, Delaware State University Wilmington, Brown Park...Restaurant - Dine at the hotel's singnature Green Room, or Lobby Lounge, Java Corner, Grill...Lively area - In the thick of the action.Opulent
A luxurious hotel located in the heart of lively Wilmington. A breathtaking classical interior boasts grandeur and opulence. Large rooms fuse contemporary and traditional styles. Magnificent dining and banquet rooms serve food from the award-wining French restaurant 'The Green Room'. See More
Rehoboth Guest House Rehoboth Beach 14 rooms from £168Total relaxation - With a welcoming host, the beach nearby and a laid-back vibe, this is the place to simply relax and enjoy your vacationBeach Life - Ideal base for relaxed small-town beach break. The charming beach and wooden boardwalk are lovely to visit year roundSights nearby - It's an easy walk to the beach, boardwalk, restaurants, galleries and shopsFull of character
Relaxed owner-run B&B located less than two blocks from the beach. A pleasant garden, several decks, outdoor showers & a shared kitchen offer sociable hang-out areas after a day of exploring. Several of the elegantly designed bedrooms share bathrooms. Affordable B&B with a homely atmosphere. See More
The Bellmoor Rehoboth Beach 78 rooms from £201Fishing - From Flounder to Striper, there are plenty of fish to be caught at the Delaware Beach.Swimming Pool - Outdoor seasonal.Lively - Hip and happening.Barefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.
A luxury spa and resort in the heart of Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. Palatial rooms decorated in a nostalgic seaside style with antique beds, seaside paintings and floral prints. Cosy up with a good book in the classic libraries or explore the famous boardwalk! Full of old world charm. See More
Canalside Inn Rehoboth Beach 13 rooms from £318Wellbeing - Offers wellness retreats throughout the year ranging from couple's retreats & personal power to guided yoga & meditationBeach Life - Head to a different stretch of beach every day. The area encompasses 30 miles of unspoiled coastlineSwimming Pool - Small pool and hot tub are available from June - SeptemberSailing - Can be booked nearby.
Contemporary owner-run B&B overlooking Rehoboth's canal. Fresh, modern & colourful dog-friendly rooms suit couples, friends and families; there's plenty of space & pool-view balconies. Return from a day at the beach to an outdoor pool, hot tub, and quiet porches. Ideal for relaxed beach vacations. See More
The Rehoboth Rehoboth Beach 52 rooms from £319Local exploring - Well situated in downtown withing walking distance of the town's best shopping, dining, nightlife and (of course) the beachBeach Life - An open air beach shuttle, complete with beach chairs and towels, will scoot you to the beachSwimming Pool - Outdoor heated pool with sun deckRestaurant - Lupo Italian Kitchen
A smart luxury hotel perfectly located in Rehoboth Beach's downtown. Light-filled rooms are traditionally styled with soft yellow and blue hues and dark wooden furniture. Spacious bathrooms are stocked with Aveda products. With a heated pool, piano lounge, & Italian restaurant - this is a chic stay See More