Search the best hotels in Delaware
All our Delaware collections:
Only Rhode Island covers a smaller area than Delaware, and very few other states lack a big city, but don’t let the small scale of this state - also one of the oldest in the union – lead you to overlook it. There is a lot of history, heritage and a breathtaking variety of landscapes packed into an area scarcely one hundred miles long and 40 miles wide. We’ve picked what we think are the best places to stay in Delaware, and from there, the whole state is within easy reach
Less than an hour away from Philadelphia, PA, this maritime state offers visitors gorgeous estates like the stunning Nemours Mansion and Garden, historic sites, museums and pristine white-sand beaches to be enjoyed by romantic couples or families with kids. If you follow the state’s history trail, you'll get acquainted with famous figures from Delaware's past, from the early pioneers to the creative minds driving America's Industrial Revolution.
What Not To Miss
- The Hagley Museum and Library is a great place if you want to learn about the state's rich history - originally the site of the gunpowder works founded by Delaware's famous Du Pont family, a trip here is like stepping back into another time.
- Nemours Mansion & Gardens was also owned by a Du Pont but now is a lovely visitor attraction, with gorgeous interior furnishings and a splendid garden in which to wander around.
- Given its strategic location on the Delaware River, the state played an essential role in the Civil War. Take a tour of Fort Delaware State Park to learn more about this chapter in its history, with there also being a number of exhibitions (such as the heavy artillery demonstration) that the kids will love.
- Cycle along the Cape Henlopen State Park and marvel at the wonderful coastal views. Or, head off hiking through the luscious White Clay Creek State Park.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Delaware include options whether you're looking for a luxury beach break or more conventional city stay.
For weekend breakers
- The Hotel Du Pont is a smart hotel located in the heart of Wilmington, the lively and attractive state capital. The hotel features classical interiors fusing contemporary and traditional styles. Magnificent dining and banquet rooms serve food from the award-wining French restaurant The Green Room.
- Formed out of 11 historic houses the Inn and Spa at Montchanin Village is a beautifully restored hotel with the attraction of four-poster beds, lovely gardens, and an excellent spa.
For beach bunnies
- The Bellmoor is a luxury spa and resort in the heart of coastal Rehoboth Beach. A short walk from the long beach with its famous boardwalk, rooms are decorated in a nostalgic seaside style with antique beds, and painted seascapes.
For An Apartment Or Villa
If you think you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- You are best visiting Delaware in the summer, with the temperature hovering between 21-31°C in July.
- Whilst there's a small domestic airport in Wilmington, most international travellers will have to fly into Philadelphia International Airport - located 20 miles northeast of Wilmington. From here, take the train on to your final destination in Delaware.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of the best places to stay in Delaware.
- Expand your search to include our recommendations in Pennsylvania or Maryland.
- Or feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Delaware
Best Hotels in Delaware
The Brick Hotel Delaware 14 rooms from £86Local exploring - Well positioned in the historic part of Georgetown, this is a great option for exploring the local neighbourhood on footHistoric - The property itself is one of the oldest in townSights nearby - Take a walking tour of historic Georgetown - the property will provide you with details and a routeSailing - Charter a boat out of Fisherman’s Wharf for a fun day out
A charming adult-only guesthouse set in one of the oldest buildings in Georgetown. Spacious rooms have a fresh modern take on traditional design, without losing the property's character. The restaurant and bar serve modern American fare and some excellent cocktails. An ideal base for couples. See More
Mansion Farm Inn Delaware 4 rooms from £125Total relaxation - A quiet hideaway set in pretty gardens - the perfect spot to prop yourself up beside the pool with a good book for days on endLocal exploring - There's plenty to do locally including exploring national parks, strolling along the coast or discovering local museumsGreat walks - There are several scenic hiking routes nearby. The hosts will happily point you in the right directionRestrictions on children - Children above 14 years are welcome
An historic farm turned quaint B&B, ideal for a quiet hideaway near the coast. Four suites have a boutique feel with polished wood floors, rich hues, fireplaces, and sash windows. A picturesque garden houses a large saltwater pool and the policy is adult-only, making this a truly relaxing stay. See More
Miller-Dunham House B&B Middletown, Delaware 4 rooms from £133Local exploring - From state parks to historic tours of Odessa, there is plenty to do locallyLocal markets - There are several local farmers' markets - great places for sampling regional produceFull of characterGreat walks - Good for walkers.
A charming colonial-style house set in picturesque gardens in historic Odessa. Four rooms are individually designed but each has wooden floors, traditional furnishings, and the two largest have private balconies. The ever warm hosts whip up a gourmet breakfast. A homely base to explore from. See More
The Inn & Spa at Montchanin Village Wilmington 28 rooms from £150Spa - Offers many signature treatments, such as a Hammam Body RitualTraditional - Every room boasts period and reproduction furnitureBack to NatureFull of characterRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Hotel du Pont Wilmington 217 rooms from £155Sights nearby - Within a 10 minute walk of DuPont Theatre, Grand Opera House, Delaware State University Wilmington, Brown Park...Lively area - In the thick of the action.OpulentTraditional
A luxurious hotel located in the heart of lively Wilmington. A breathtaking classical interior boasts grandeur and opulence. Large rooms fuse contemporary and traditional styles. Magnificent dining and banquet rooms serve food from the award-wining French restaurant 'The Green Room'. See More
The Bellmoor Rehoboth Beach 78 rooms from £201Fishing - From Flounder to Striper, there are plenty of fish to be caught at the Delaware Beach.Swimming Pool - Outdoor seasonal.Lively - Hip and happening.Barefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.
A luxury spa and resort in the heart of Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. Palatial rooms decorated in a nostalgic seaside style with antique beds, seaside paintings and floral prints. Cosy up with a good book in the classic libraries or explore the famous boardwalk! Full of old world charm. See More
The Rehoboth Rehoboth Beach 52 rooms from £319Local exploring - Well situated in downtown withing walking distance of the town's best shopping, dining, nightlife and (of course) the beachBeach Life - An open air beach shuttle, complete with beach chairs and towels, will scoot you to the beachSwimming Pool - Outdoor heated pool with sun deckTraditional
A smart luxury hotel perfectly located in Rehoboth Beach's downtown. Light-filled rooms are traditionally styled with soft yellow and blue hues and dark wooden furniture. Spacious bathrooms are stocked with Aveda products. With a heated pool, piano lounge, & Italian restaurant - this is a chic stay See More