Search the best hotels in Stowe
It may be small - 4300 inhabitants - but Stowe has a high profile, not only for nestling in the shadow of Mt Mansfield, Vermont’s highest peak, but also for being one of the East coast’s classiest mountain resorts. It’s a year-round resort, too, with summer hiking and the fabulous fiery forest colours of the fall. Whatever time of year you fancy visiting, our guide to the best places to stay in Stowe will help ensure you get the best out of this charming town.
Come in winter and enjoy more than 200 miles of cross-country ski trails - groomed and backcountry trails - as well as downhill ski and snowboarding runs. Stowe also offers sleigh rides, dog sledding, snowmobiling, snowshoeing, and ice-skating. Ice-climbing, too, if you’re an adrenaline junkie.
In summer, there’s world-class rock-climbing - particularly on Smuggler’s Notch, a narrow, rock-walled pass through the Green Mountains - plus mountain-biking, go-karting and zip-lining.
The autumn is glorious for hiking through forested slopes that look as though they’re on fire.
You'll also be glad to hear that Vermont has a flush of award-winning restaurants from eclectic bistros to Italian trattorias and micro-brew pubs.
What Not To Miss
- Hike up the Moss Glen Falls and go for a refreshing dip in the natural pool if you are there on a sunny day.
- Prefer something less exhausting? Visit the Vermont Ski and Snowboard Museum to giggle over the ski equipment and fashion over the last 100 years.
- Stowe has no shortage of galleries and fine craft shops plus, just 10 miles away - and children will love this - there is Ben & Jerry’s legendary ice cream factory. Take a tour, watch a moo-vie and taste the latest flavour.
So, decide which time of year you would like to visit and then use our choice of the best places to stay in Stowe to plan your trip.
- Well-served with activities - indoor and outdoor tennis courts, spa, pool, fitness centre, plus fishing, skiing, cycling and horse-riding - The Topnotch Resort & Spa is well-named. The 120 rooms are crisp and modern with terrific mountain views while Flannels Restaurant offers tasty and often organic dishes.
- With just nine rooms, Stone Hill Inn sits in 10 wooded acres, so it guarantees peace. Rooms have private entrances from the garden, two-person baths and elegant furnishings - and it is adults-only.
- With several family suites plus a pool, spa, fitness suite and a central city location - yet with plenty of outdoor activities easily arranged - The Green Mountain Inn makes a good choice for keeping everyone happy.
For An Apartment Or Cabin
If you think you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- Stowe is nicest weather-wise in the summer months, with the average daily temperature rising to 20°C in July. Autumn is also a great choice if you want to spend your days hiking!
- If however you're here to ski then you'll want to come in the winter months. The ski season runs from the end of November to the beginning of April.
- Visitors can fly into Burlington International Airport. Surprisingly enough (given its name), it's only served by domestic destinations, so if you're coming from abroad you'll need to transfer.
- From the airport, it's easiest to take a cab or hire a car and drive yourself to Stowe.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still Not Sure?
- For more ideas, browse through our entire list of the best places to stay in Stowe.
- Expand your search to include all our Vermont recommendations.
- Or contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Stowe
Best Hotels in Stowe
Green Mountain Inn Stowe 104 rooms from £105Fishing - Catamount Fishing Adventures, Green Mountain Troutfitters and The Fly Rod Shop all offer excellent fishing trips.Kayaking - Umiak Outfitters provides rentals, guided tours and seasonal programs for all ages and abilities.Spa - On-site spa and wellness centre.Swimming Pool - Outdoor heated pool- seasonal.
Sun & Ski Inn and Suites Stowe 39 rooms from £105Families - With numerous activities, plenty of space, and suites with flexible sleeping - this is perfect family holiday materialSkiing - Ski or snowboard at Stowe Mountain Resort which has runs for all abilitiesSwimming Pool - Year round indoor/outdoor pool
A family-friendly hotel offering affordable and functional accommodation near Stowe Mountain Resort. Rooms and suites come in various sizes but each is simply styled and contemporary. Hearty European fare is served, there's an indoor pool and even a bowling alley. Ideal for activity-packed breaks. See More
Field Guide Stowe 30 rooms from £114Active Holiday - These mountains are jam packed with activities from skiing to rock climbing, fishing, hiking, biking and hot air ballooningLocal markets - Head down to The Alchemist, brewers of Vermont's famous IPA, to sample some wears and pick up a few casesFishing - Anglers be warned- there is a fish for every season here from fall foliage charters to ice fishingBirdwatching - The forests are filled with a diverse range of birds, take a guided tour with a local expertRecommended by - Tablet
A wonderfully fresh and inviting Stowe hotel. Vibrant and eclectic interiors reign supreme, from the raw wood walls and white sheepskins of the lounge to the rustic-cut wood headboards and brilliant bird wallpaper of the bedrooms. With a seasonal pool and excellent food to boot! See More
Trapp Family Lodge Stowe 96 rooms from £137Groups - The Villa & the Guesthouse offer several rooms and are ideal for groups or families wanting a private space with hotel amenitiesMountain biking - An extensive mountain bike trail network runs through the 2,600 acres of the property's grounds including two skill parksActive Holiday - The area is jam-packed with activities from biking to hiking or skiing to ridingKayaking - Canoe or kayak through the many lakes and rivers in the area
Traditionally inspired, yet contemporary, lodging in the outdoor activity mecca, Stowe. A range of rooms, suites, and villas suit couples, groups or families. Interiors feature roaring fires, pine-clad walls, and simple wooden furniture. Set in 2,600 acres - this is the perfect rural escape. See More
Topnotch Resort and Spa Stowe (4000 Mountain Road) 105 rooms from £156Bicycles availableFishing - Fly fishing in the summer is a popular past time.Secluded setting - For escaping.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet
This luxury resort rests in 120 acres near the slopes. Contemporary, large rooms with mountain views and all the mod-cons. Flannel Restaurant offers organic, fresh dishes. From tennis courts, fitness centre and the great outdoors there is much to do. Or relax by the pool or treat yourself at the spa See More
Stone Hill Inn Stowe 9 rooms from £245Restrictions on children - Children cannot be accomodated at this hotel.Secluded setting - For escaping.Views - Great views from hotelDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
The Lodge at Spruce Peak Stowe 300 rooms from £345Spa breaks - If sports aren't quite your thing enjoy a pampering day at the spa; extensive beauty treatments, hot tub, sauna & massages awaitSkiing - This is Stowe's only ski-in property in the Stowe mountain resort. There are 13 lifts, a gondola and 116 trailsActive Holiday - Whether you want to ski, snowboard, fly-fish, mountain-bike, sledge or golf, the resort offers it allFamilies - As well as family-friendly suites & cabins, ther's a playground, baby-sitting, kid's toys and games
Epic holiday-village resort. Luxurious units are split between the main lodge, stand-alone cabins and suites, some are self-catered. Interiors are a classic take on country chic. Outdoor heated pool, hot tubs, play areas, dining options and direct ski access make this unbeatable for all the family. See More