Search the best hotels in Stowe
Small but mighty, Stowe has long been one of the East Coast’s coolest mountain resorts. The town itself sits in the shadow of Mount Mansfield — Vermont’s tallest peak — and boasts a great selection of galleries, eateries and boutiques. Popular with families, friends and couples dreaming of winter skiing or summer hikes, the Stowe area offers a wide array of accommodation options, including everything from elegant inns to extensive resorts fit for all tastes and budgets. Our pick of the best places to stay in Stowe offers some superb properties in the town itself, as well as rural mountain hideaways for those looking to unwind in absolute seclusion.
Come during the winter months for 200 miles of cross-country ski trails — both groomed and backcountry routes — as well as downhill skiing and snowboarding runs at Stowe Mountain Resort. Spend your days dog sledding, snowmobiling and snowshoeing, or take a sleigh ride and go ice skating with the kids. Adventurous types can even try ice-climbing! The Vermont Ski & Snowboard Museum is a fun place to delve into the history of the sport in the area on a laid-back day, whilst a family trip to Ben & Jerry’s legendary ice cream factory (10 miles from Stowe) will be a sure-fire hit.
Alternatively, visit Stowe in the summer or autumn for mountain biking, zip-lining, horse riding and a plethora of great hikes in the picturesque Green Mountains. Moss Glen Falls is a particular favourite — you can even reward yourself with a refreshing dip in the natural pool! Rock climbers, on the other hand, will love the challenge of scaling Smuggler’s Notch, a narrow, rock-walled mountain pass. There's kayaking, fishing and stand up paddleboarding in the area's lakes and reservoirs, too, as well as guided forest tours for keen birdwatchers. The fiery forest colours of autumn are worthy of a trip in themselves.
Feast on fabulous fare at Vermont’s award-winning restaurants, eclectic bistros and micro-brew pubs in the evenings, before putting your feet up at one of the best places to stay in Stowe.
The Best Places to Stay in Stowe
For an Intimate Stay
- Stone Hill Inn is tucked within 10 wooded acres of grounds, guaranteeing a tranquil sense of seclusion. Book one of nine rooms, each of which has its own private entrance from the garden, as well as cosy interiors with fireplaces and two-person baths. An adult-only retreat.
- Field Guide features eclectic, contemporary design and 30 funky guestrooms near central Stowe. Unwind in the heated pool, play a board game beside the fire or chat to fellow travellers in communal areas over drinks after a day out. Fun, quirky and intimate, with options for groups, families or couples.
- The Green Mountain Inn is a central Stowe classic, with a varied selection of traditionally-appointed suites, apartments and townhouses. Perfect for families or bigger groups, the property also features a swimming pool, games room, spa and fitness centre. Welcoming guests since 1833.
- Trapp Family Lodge boasts pine-clad walls, wooden furniture and crackling fireplaces in 96 Austrian-inspired rooms, suites and cabins. Set on an impressive 2,600 acres of grounds, this is the ideal family escape, with activities aplenty for guests of all ages. Rural & relaxed.
- Sun & Ski Inn and Suites is an affordable family holiday base near Stowe Mountain Resort. Big, contemporary suites offer flexible sleeping arrangements for little ones, who will also adore the indoor pool and bowling alley. Stowe Golf Park is just opposite.
- The Topnotch Resort & Spa offers 120 crisp, modern rooms with striking mountain views and activities galore. Think indoor & outdoor tennis courts, a spa, pool and fitness centre, plus fishing, skiing, cycling and horse riding. Flannels Restaurant is a real treat, too. Sophisticated alpine luxury in the foothills of the Green Mountains.
- The Lodge at Spruce Peak is an epic holiday village-style resort, promising Stowe's only ski-in, ski-out slopeside stay. Expect indulgent rooms, suites and apartments offering a chic take on classic country living, as well as activities and facilities aplenty. Choose from a plethora of dining options, a swimming pool, spa & wellness centre, hot tubs and play areas for little ones. Brilliant.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY CABIN
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Burlington International Airport, just 40 minutes from Stowe by car. However, the airport is only served by domestic destinations, so if you're coming from abroad you'll need to transfer.
- Vermont is ideal for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Expect lovely summers, with temperatures averaging at around 22°C between June and August. Winters are cold and snowy — which can be wonderfully cosy and ideal for skiing. The ski season runs from the end of November to the beginning of April. Come in the autumn to see the leaves change colour!
STILL NOT SURE?
- Browse our list of the best places to stay in Burlington.
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Vermont.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Stowe
Best Hotels in Stowe
Sun & Ski Inn and Suites Stowe 39 rooms from £105Families - With numerous activities, plenty of space, and suites with flexible sleeping - this is perfect family holiday materialSkiing - Ski or snowboard at Stowe Mountain Resort which has runs for all abilitiesRestaurant - A laid back family-friendly restaurant serving Europen style cuisineSwimming Pool - Year round indoor/outdoor pool
A family-friendly hotel offering affordable and functional accommodation near Stowe Mountain Resort. Rooms and suites come in various sizes but each is simply styled and contemporary. Hearty European fare is served, there's an indoor pool and even a bowling alley. Ideal for activity-packed breaks. See More
Field Guide Stowe 30 rooms from £114Active Holiday - These mountains are jam packed with activities from skiing to rock climbing, fishing, hiking, biking and hot air ballooningLocal markets - Head down to The Alchemist, brewers of Vermont's famous IPA, to sample some wears and pick up a few casesFishing - Anglers be warned- there is a fish for every season here from fall foliage charters to ice fishingBirdwatching - The forests are filled with a diverse range of birds, take a guided tour with a local expertRecommended by - Tablet
A wonderfully fresh and inviting Stowe hotel. Vibrant and eclectic interiors reign supreme, from the raw wood walls and white sheepskins of the lounge to the rustic-cut wood headboards and brilliant bird wallpaper of the bedrooms. With a seasonal pool and excellent food to boot! See More
Trapp Family Lodge Stowe 96 rooms from £137Groups - The Villa & the Guesthouse offer several rooms and are ideal for groups or families wanting a private space with hotel amenitiesMountain biking - An extensive mountain bike trail network runs through the 2,600 acres of the property's grounds including two skill parksActive Holiday - The area is jam-packed with activities from biking to hiking or skiing to ridingKayaking - Canoe or kayak through the many lakes and rivers in the area
Traditionally inspired, yet contemporary, lodging in the outdoor activity mecca, Stowe. A range of rooms, suites, and villas suit couples, groups or families. Interiors feature roaring fires, pine-clad walls, and simple wooden furniture. Set in 2,600 acres - this is the perfect rural escape. See More
Topnotch Resort and Spa Stowe (4000 Mountain Road) 105 rooms from £156Bicycles availableFishing - Fly fishing in the summer is a popular past time.Tennis - Indoor and outdoor tennis facilities on site.Secluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Tablet
This luxury resort rests in 120 acres near the slopes. Contemporary, large rooms with mountain views and all the mod-cons. Flannel Restaurant offers organic, fresh dishes. From tennis courts, fitness centre and the great outdoors there is much to do. Or relax by the pool or treat yourself at the spa See More
The Green Mountain Inn Stowe 104 rooms from £161Active Holiday - Rural setting offers outdoor activities throughout the year; try skiing, hiking, mountain biking, fishing and wild swimmingRomantic Break - Rooms and suites are incredibly romantic. Soak in a fireside tub before retiring to your four-poster bedFamilies - Warm and welcoming environment offers amenities and experiences for the entire family, young and oldSwimming Pool - Guests are spoilt for choice with a large outdoor pool, hot tub, and kid's paddling pool
Dreamy historical inn located in the heart of Stowe comprising rooms, self-catered apartments and multi-room townhouses. Appealing year-round, there's a large leafy yard, indoor/outdoor pools, fireside lounges, two restaurants, ski shuttle and spa treatments. Fab base for wholesome family holidays. See More
Stone Hill Inn Stowe 9 rooms from £245Restrictions on children - Children cannot be accomodated at this hotel.Secluded setting - For escaping.Views - Great views from hotelDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
The Lodge at Spruce Peak Stowe 300 rooms from £345Spa breaks - If sports aren't quite your thing enjoy a pampering day at the spa; extensive beauty treatments, hot tub, sauna & massages awaitSkiing - This is Stowe's only ski-in property in the Stowe mountain resort. There are 13 lifts, a gondola and 116 trailsActive Holiday - Whether you want to ski, snowboard, fly-fish, mountain-bike, sledge or golf, the resort offers it allFamilies - As well as family-friendly suites & cabins, ther's a playground, baby-sitting, kid's toys and games
Epic holiday-village resort. Luxurious units are split between the main lodge, stand-alone cabins and suites, some are self-catered. Interiors are a classic take on country chic. Outdoor heated pool, hot tubs, play areas, dining options and direct ski access make this unbeatable for all the family. See More