Search the best hotels in Vermont
Vermont is all about tantalising countryside scenes, from the spectacular fiery colours of ‘The Fall’ to the gorgeous greens of spring and summer to charming villages and snowy mountain ranges. Not surprisingly, it attracts outdoors enthusiasts whether skiers, snowboarders, walkers, mountain-bikers or hikers. The best places to stay in Vermont are usually deemed so due to their location. However, the style of hotels widely differs, with high-end travellers catered for with luxurious spa hotels, lovers will find cute little B&B hideaways, while families can book activity-packed hotels.
Thousands of acres of alpine terrain make it a popular New England winter destination for skiers and snowboarders; Stowe is a favourite destination or you might want to tackle the 300-mile long Catamount Trail, which allows you to ski or snowshoe the length of the state! In warmer months you can go fly-fishing in the many creeks or cast from a boat on Lake Champlain.
For a more leisurely visit, take a drive to admire Quechee Gorge or browse Hildene, the Georgian Revival mansion of Robert Todd Lincoln, son of the First President, or explore the Vermont Ski Museum in Stowe.
Foodies are in for a treat, too, with a cheese trail, food trails and dozens of farmers’ markets and craft breweries. Of course, it’s also the home of both Ben & Jerry’s ice cream - yes, you can tour the factory in Waterbury - and, well, obviously maple syrup is an absolute must-sample!
Many of the welcoming, small towns have attractive, well-preserved downtown areas with clap-board properties and handsome public buildings, such as Montpelier with its magnificent State House and thriving arts scene, and Wilmington with its great choice of farm-to-table eateries and artisan craft shops.
With its obvious attractions the best places to stay in Vermont can get booked up fast (particularly in the ski resorts), so we recommend booking your trip well in advance to avoid disappointment.
The Best places to stay in Vermont
Best B&B hotels in Vermont
- A luxurious B&B with hotel standards, from the elegant rustic furnishings to the crisp bedlinen and polished wooden floors, Lang House on Main Street charms with its 19th-century, white clapboard exteriors. Close to the Vermont Cheese Trail and Burlington Food Tours, too.
- The Inn at Manchester epitomises the best of B&Bs, with comfortable, country-style rooms, can’t-do-enough-for-you owners, splendid breakfasts and afternoon teas. There’s also an outdoor pool.
- There’s a welcoming old-world charm to the Maple Leaf Inn, with its rocking-chairs on the porch, country-house style rooms - many with fires - and quiet views over a forest-wrapped lake. The perfect place to unwind.
For a spa hotel
- With golf, mountain-biking, fishing, tennis, skiing and kayaking all on-site or nearby - as well as a spa - there is little need to leave the Equinox Resort & Spa nestled in the Green Mountains near Manchester. Rooms are smart and contemporary and there’s a choice of dining options.
- Equally well served - indoor and outdoor tennis courts, spa, pool, fitness centre, plus fishing, skiing, cycling and horse-riding - The Topnotch Resort & Spa near Stowe, is well-named. The 120 rooms are crisp and modern with terrific mountain views while Flannels Restaurant offers tasty, often organic, dishes.
- Overlooking Woodstock’s village green, the 18th-century Woodstock Inn offers light and airy, contemporary country-house rooms. Tennis, golf, hiking trails and bird-watching are some of its activities; afterwards relax in the pool and spa.
- The Reluctant Panther Inn offers a real home-from-home atmosphere with crackling fires and traditionally furnished, cosy bedrooms. There’s a lovely terrace and gardens to explore, and hills for skiing and walking nearby.
- With free access to a nearby sports centre, plus its own kayak and just 15 minutes from ski slopes, The Pitcher Inn will keep all members of the family happy. Rooms are quirkily themed in ski lodge, colonial or schoolroom style.
- There’s something for everyone at Windham Hill Inn from tennis, trekking (snowshoes to borrow) and skiing to a spa, library and cookery classes. Rooms are large and country-style; with welcoming teddy-bears for little ones.
Best hideaway hotels in Vermont
- No TVs or telephones ensure the adults-only Rabbit Hill Inn is as cut off from the world as you would like. Rustic-style rooms, some with verandas, have peaceful views over gardens, forests and White Mountains. Rates include daily afternoon tea.
- In the heart of the Green Mountain National Forest, Barrows House offers traditional country elegance and a fine-dining restaurant. As well as the obvious outdoor activities of trekking, skiing and riding, the hotel has tennis courts, swimming pool and beautiful gardens.
- Enjoy spectacular mountain views from The Inn at Round Barn Farm, a quiet getaway whose dozen rooms have an elegant rustic feel with polished hardwood floors, antiques, and lacy bedcovers. Well-placed for skiing, hiking and kayaking.
- Surrounded by 300 acres of wilderness, the luxurious Twin Farms guarantees seclusion. In grand, country-house style - big rooms, high ceilings, huge fireplaces - rooms are furnished with antiques, and there’s a gourmet restaurant plus plenty of activities on-site.
- Fly to Vermont directly from most of the major cities in the USA and there are also flights available from Montreal, Canada. Burlington (the state's capital) has the main international airport, but there are other smaller options too. There are good services for trains, buses and ferries too.
- The best time to visit Vermont really depends on what you want to do. For beautifully coloured foliage, choose the autumn months. For skiers winter and spring are the time to visit, while hikers should come in the summer months when temperatures reach around 26 degrees.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure which hotel to book?
Best Hotels in Vermont
The Middlebury Inn Middlebury (Vermont) 71 rooms from £101Sights nearby - Experience the fun and educational 30-minute guided factory group tour of Ben & Jerry's.Great walks - There are wonderful hiking trails in the country surrounding MiddleburyLocal markets - Farm Heritage Tour.Views - Great views from hotel
Antique furnishings, original high ceilings and elegant interiors make up this former 1827 coaching inn. Rooms are a blend of contemporary and classic with modern bathrooms. Morgan's Tavern serves fresh and local farm produce. Drinks at the bar or a day at the spa, make this a great base for hiking. See More
Red Clover Inn Vermont 13 rooms from £107Sights nearby - Visit the Gifford Woods State Park featuring one of the few remaining old-growth forests in Vermont.Views - Great views from hotelFull of characterRomantic - Good for couples.
An 1840's heritage Lodge, in the beautiful Green Mountains of Vermont. The elegant rooms are individually decorated and feature a range of claw footed tubs, fourposters, balconies and fireplaces. The in-house restaurant serves up mouthwatering locally sourced dishes in a warm and intimate setting. See More
Lang House on Main Street Burlington, Vermont 11 rooms from £108Sailing - Charter a sailing boat at Let’s Go Sailing or Whistling Man Schooner Company.Romantic - Good for couples.Full of characterDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
Field Guide Stowe 30 rooms from £119Active Holiday - These mountains are jam packed with activities from skiing to rock climbing, fishing, hiking, biking and hot air ballooningLocal markets - Head down to The Alchemist, brewers of Vermont's famous IPA, to sample some wears and pick up a few casesFishing - Anglers be warned- there is a fish for every season here from fall foliage charters to ice fishingBirdwatching - The forests are filled with a diverse range of birds, take a guided tour with a local expertRecommended by - Tablet
A wonderfully fresh and inviting Stowe hotel. Vibrant and eclectic interiors reign supreme, from the raw wood walls and white sheepskins of the lounge to the rustic-cut wood headboards and brilliant bird wallpaper of the bedrooms. With a seasonal pool and excellent food to boot! See More
Deerhill Inn Vermont 13 rooms from £124Satellite / Cable TVFishing - Fishing the Deerfield where Chris Jackson will share his 28 years worth of experience.Restrictions on children - Children are not accommodated for.Swimming Pool - Outdoor seasonal pool.
The Inn at Manchester Manchester Village 21 rooms from £129Swimming Pool - Lovely outdoor pool with sun loungersFull of characterHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.Great walks - Good for walkers.
A delightful, traditional inn dating from 1888. It epitomises the friendly, cosy B&B stereotype - welcoming owners, armchairs and fireplaces - whilst being finished to the highest standard - elegant, comfortable rooms, its own pub and lovely outdoor pool. Perfect base for exploring Vermont. See More
Maple Leaf Inn Woodstock, Vermont 7 rooms from £130Remote - Off the beaten track.Full of characterSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Barefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.
A homely Victorian style B&B, nestled on 16 acres of maple and birch forest, in Barnard Village, Vermont. Decor is clean and crisp with rocking chairs and four poster beds giving an old world charm to the rooms. Sit out on the porch and watch the sunset over the spectacular scenery. See More
Rabbit Hill Inn Vermont 19 rooms from £133Restrictions on children - As it is an adult romantic getaway, no children under 15 can stayRomantic - Good for couples.Views - Great views from hotelGreat walks - Good for walkers.
This sumptuous B&B is run as a romantic hideaway for couples. The comfortable rooms have a variety of décor styles to choose from – traditional, country, modern. There are no telephones or TVs to ensure total escape. Any outdoor activity you could dream of is possible nearby. See More
Taconic Manchester Village (Vermont) 86 rooms from £140Weddings - This hotel is well-equipped for weddings, with gardens that can accommodate a ceremony and a dining hall for a banquet dinnerHideaway - With a pool and restaurant onsite, plus fantastic views and a great garden, there is no need to leave this hideaway hotelCountry Escape - Set in the charming Manchester Village surrounded by mountains, book this chic hotel for your next escape to the countryGreat walks - Go for walks on the trails at Hildene, the family home and estate of Abraham Lincoln located close to this hotel
Inspired by former leisure inns, this hotel offers a free-spirited rural getaway in Vermont's historic Manchester Village. The interior design takes a modern approach to country chic, with splashes of floral and tartan print, plus open hearths. Outside, a pool and verdant gardens complete the hotel. See More
Lilac Inn Brandon, Vermont 9 rooms from £140Kayaking - Kayaking at Keewaydin Camp on beautiful Lake Dunmore in the Green Mountains of Vermont.Fishing - Ice fishing on Lake Dunmore.Four poster beds - For romantics.
An elegant Georgian styled B&B surrounded by wonderful lush gardens and ponds. The unique horseshoe shape with a tree at it's heart makes for a romantic getaway. Bedrooms are warm and cosy with plenty of character. The popular Vermont chef of the year will add panache to make your stay memorable. See More
Barrows House Vermont 28 rooms from £144Back to Nature - Located in the heart of the Green Mountain National Forest.Fishing - Orvis Fly Fishing School is located in Manchester.Swimming Pool - Heated outdoor pool- seasonal.Secluded setting - For escaping.
Barrows House comprises eight buildings standing on six acres of lush gardens, in the heart of the Green Mountain National Forest. Decor is cosy, comfortable and chic. The in-house restaurant serves up gourmet cuisine and craft beer on a nightly basis. A Secluded and sumptuous getaway. See More
The Inn at Round Barn Farm Waitsfield, Vermont 12 rooms from £147Kayaking - Clearwater Sports offers kayak and canoe rentals, and various adventure packages.Restrictions on children - Children cannot be accomadated for.Swimming Pool - Indoor seasonal pool.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Jackson House Inn Woodstock, Vermont 11 rooms from £148Fishing - Organise a fishing trip with the Vermont Fly-fishing School.Views - Great views from hotelBarefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.Full of character
Reluctant Panther Inn Manchester Village (Vermont) 20 rooms from £155Fishing - Battenkill River offers a great fly fishing spot. Take a picnic and make a day of it.Full of characterFour poster beds - For romantics.
Crackling fireplaces welcome guests to this intimate boutique with manicured gardens and luxurious features. Large, cozy rooms with marble bathrooms are classically decorated with antique furnishings. Elegant setting for American cuisine is matched with an award-winning wine list. See More
Topnotch Resort and Spa Stowe (4000 Mountain Road) 105 rooms from £156Bicycles availableFishing - Fly fishing in the summer is a popular past time.Secluded setting - For escaping.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet
This luxury resort rests in 120 acres near the slopes. Contemporary, large rooms with mountain views and all the mod-cons. Flannel Restaurant offers organic, fresh dishes. From tennis courts, fitness centre and the great outdoors there is much to do. Or relax by the pool or treat yourself at the spa See More
Four Columns Inn and Restaurant Vermont 15 rooms from £173Foodies - This was arguably America's first farm to table restaurant, now under new ownership it lives up to its past gloriesTotal relaxation - Cosy bedrooms ooze rustic warmth and charm and the garden spa provides restorative health giving treatmentsGreat walks - Wander around this picturesque village and the Green Mountains' countryside beyondViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet
A charming modern incarnation of a renowned Vermont Inn, fabled to have started the farm-fork movement. Rooms are simple with subtle touches of luxury. The theme here is good health, good food and nature- enjoy the laid back pace of life, listen to the bird song and unwind in the spa. See More
Windham Hill Inn Vermont 21 rooms from £173Cooking classes - Sign up for a cooking class with experienced Chefs onsite.Swimming Pool - Outdoor seasonal pool.Secluded setting - For escaping.Remote - Off the beaten track.
A luxury B&B surrounded by 160 acres of private land, bordered by Green Mountain National Forest. The warm and inviting rooms feature antique furnishings, deep soaking tubs and roaring fireplaces. Breakfast is a mouthwatering three course gourmet affair. Utterly spoiling! See More
Equinox Resort & Spa Manchester Village (Vermont) 195 rooms from £250Fishing - Orvis Fly Fishing SchoolKayaking - Emerald LakeHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Set in the idyllic Green Mountains, this is a classic New England country resort. Boasting an impressive golf course, spa and nearby fishing lake - it is on site activities that Equinox is renowned for. Smart, contemporary bedrooms and a number of dining areas make this a welcoming and homely spot. See More
Woodstock Inn Woodstock, Vermont 142 rooms from £195Other Activities - Relaxing by the pool and with spa treatments is a MUST!Fishing - Cast on some of Central Vermont’s most picturesque streams and lakes while honing fly-fishing skills you can use for a lifetime.Birdwatching - An exciting new guest experience at the resort's falconry center in Woodstock, Vermont.Great walks - The Marsh-Billings-Rockerfeller National Historical Park.
1793 foundations on the Woodstock's village green with outdoor pool, spa, golf course and tennis courts. Classic contemporary rooms with arm chairs, luxury bathrooms and complimentary organic products. The Red Rooster and Richardson's Tavern both offer fresh-farm cuisine. Weekend break and relaxing. See More
West Mountain Inn Vermont 19 rooms from £198Hideaway - Set on 150 acres of beautiful private land, and with an on-site restaurant of gourmet quality, there is no need to leave!Sights nearby - In Bennington, you’ll find the Bennington Battle Monument, Bennington Museum and historic Park McCullough House.Fishing - The Battenkill River known for it’s incredible trout fishing and abundance of wildlife.Full of character
A historic 1809 farmhouse nestled in 150 acres with everything from river access to hiking trails and a herd of alpacas! The elegant rooms are the perfect blend of modern style and antique charm. Mouthwatering meals are served in the romantic wood panelled dinning room. Country chic. See More
Stowe Mountain Lodge Stowe (Vermont) 312 rooms from 262Fishing - Green Mountain TroutfittersKayaking - Green River Canoe & KayakSecluded setting - For escaping.Remote - Off the beaten track.
A large, secluded mountain lodge offering cosy luxury bedrooms and self catered suites. Large stone fire places and rustic interiors give a homely and welcoming feel. Breathtaking mountian views and a laid back restaurant to suit everyone's tastes. Experience the great outdoors all year round. See More
Stone Hill Inn Stowe 9 rooms from £245Restrictions on children - Children cannot be accomodated at this hotel.Secluded setting - For escaping.Views - Great views from hotelFull of character
The Pitcher Inn Vermont 11 rooms from £273Kayaking - The inn has its own canoe and all the additional equipment which can be borrowed for free!Hideaway - Tranquil and intimate.Full of characterGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Nestled in a lovely village near the Mad River Valley, a nature lover's paradise, is this elegant inn. The rooms are stylish & rustic, certainly not boring. Choose the quirky theme you prefer whether its ski lodge, school, or colonial. The free activities & amenities offered make it truly special. See More
The Windham Hill Inn West Townshend, Vermont 22 rooms from £382Cooking classes - Experienced chefs will share their secrets and together you can whip up a delicious meal or two.Great walks - Borrow the hotels snow shoes and go exploring the grounds.Secluded setting - For escaping.Full of characterRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Relais & Chateaux
On top of 160 forest acres this boutique hotel boasts breathtaking views and adventures. Rooms are spacious & comfortable with antique finishing. Restaurant offers a three-course breakfast and gourmet dinner with local, seasonal produce. Spa, pool or library, in perfect relax mode. See More
Twin Farms Barnard, Vermont 20 rooms from £1132MassageFishing - Fly fishing, with all the equipment, is avaliable.Kayaking - On their own Copper Pond.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Nestled in 300 acres of wilderness this secluded, luxurious hotel offers activities, gourmet meals, spa and gym. Rooms boast high ceilings, stunning views and antique furnishings. Seasonal, organic meals paired expertly with regional wines, Gourmet picnics! A beautiful and relaxed getaway! See More