Search the best hotels in York, Maine
About York, Maine
An idyllic seaside spot just 40 minutes south of Portland, York is a collection of communities centred around York Village. Charming and laid-back, the area boasts striking heritage houses, with bustling York Harbor to one side and relaxed York Beach in the other direction. Cape Neddick, just beyond surf-mad Long Beach, completes the group. A wonderful destination for a holiday as a couple, group of friends or family, York offers everything from cosy heritage inns to swish resort-style hotels with lots of facilities. Many of the best places to stay in York, Maine are clustered around York Harbor — perfect for sailing, fishing or exploring — and all are within easy reach of the ocean.
Often dubbed ‘the gateway to Maine’, York can be an appealingly low-key area to kick back and soak up the sunshine, stroll along the seafront and feast on fabulously fresh lobster and crab. It also, however, promises a wealth of activities for eager adventurers. Spend your days kayaking, sailing and surfing, for instance, or take the little ones on a boat tour or their first fishing trip. You can build sandcastles on York Harbor Beach, marvel at myriad animals at York’s Wild Kingdom, or amble around Hartley Mason Reserve and Steedman Woods, too. There are hiking, cycling and horse riding trails further inland, as well as along the picturesque coastline. Golfers will find three 18-hole courses in the area.
For a sense of the region's history, head to the George Marshall Store Gallery, the Museums of Old York, or the famed Nubble Light. The best places to stay in York fill up fast during the summer months, so book your trip well in advance to avoid missing out!
The Best Places to Stay in York, Maine
For Classic Charm
- Dockside Guest Quarters has been run by the same family for more than 60 years, welcoming guests to relax in traditionally-appointed rooms and suites moments from the sea. Come for big breakfasts and lawn games, borrow bicycles or take a boat tour before tucking in to delicious dinners in the restaurant. A charming classic, originally dating back to 1891.
For Families or Groups
- York Harbor Inn is a big New England inn with comfortable, cosy rooms and family suites set across six lodges. Many feature sea views, and there's a choice of eateries onsite. Close to heaps of family-friendly activities, this is a brilliant base for active travellers of all ages.
- Stage Neck Inn offers a luxurious, resort-style stay on a striking peninsula. Rooms, suites and cottages are ideal for groups or families, there's a soothing spa, a casual eatery, and easy access to activities on both land and water. Kids will love splashing around the pool or playing a game of tennis, and there's space for 16 guests in the seaside cotttage: the perfect extended family choice.
- Viewpoint Hotel comprises nine suites with self-catering facilities, perfect for couples, families or friends looking to kick back within sight of the sea. Expect a fresh, modern feel, an inviting outdoor pool, lovely gardens and a laid-back beach club. An intimate hideaway with flexible options for families or groups.
- Stones Throw is a gorgeous beachfront hotel with a bohemian vibe. Unwind in 16 rooms and suites with cool, contemporary interiors and panoramic sea views, and savour fresh, seasonal cuisine after days of superb surfing on Long Beach. A chic boutique pad for romantic couples or groups of friends.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Portland International Jetport and travel the 40 minutes to York by car.
- Maine is ideal for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the summer months (June to August) for the warmest weather, but do be aware that this is peak season. Come in the spring (April - May) or autumn (September - October) for fewer crowds and great hotel deals.
STILL NOT SURE?
Best Hotels in York, Maine
Dockside Guest Quarters York, Maine (York) 25 rooms from £116Cooking classes - Take a cooking class from the reknowned Stonewall Kitchen.Restrictions on children - Children cannot be accommodated.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Barefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.
Seashore chic meets homely comforts; think white on white, plenty of natural light, fireplaces and an eclectic mix of nautical decorations. Porches and balconies face out onto unmatched views of southern Maine’s rocky shoreline and the Atlantic Ocean. Heaven on York Harbor! See More
York Harbor Inn York, Maine 62 rooms from £133Back to Nature - This is a classic New England seaside vacation spot; sail, walk to lighthouses, enjoy beach days, whale watching & fishingLocal exploring - Spend days exploring this well-preserved harbor town with its historic buildings, boutiques, lighthouses & restaurantsRestaurant - The historic 1637 dining-room restaurant has ocean views. The more casual Tavern Bar and Tap Room is set around an open fireFishing - Keen anglers will love salt water fly fishing for Striped Bass, Bluefish, Mackerel and 'Schoolie' Bluefin Tuna
Traditional New England inn with central harbour location. Spread over six lodges, rooms range from comfortable to luxurious and classic to cosy-contemporary; many boast ocean-facing balconies, fire-places and spa baths. Enjoy two atmospheric restaurants, pub and gardens. Fab for exploring. See More
Viewpoint Hotel York, Maine 9 rooms from £168Eco break - There are many green practices in place including no single-use plastic, water-saving measures, extensive recycling & compostingTotal relaxation - Designed for stress-free holidays; there's everything you want on-site plus ocean and lighthouse vistas everywhere you lookGroups - There's a stand-alone three-bedroom 'Nubble' cottage which is perfect for groups with full kitchen and living areaSelf catering to rent - Suites have either kitchenettes or fully-equipped kitchens, plus dining areas
Intimate ocean-facing property with multi-bedroom suites. Contemporary in style, with plenty of glass to maximise views, fresh modern rooms still feel cosy, especially those with fireplaces. Enjoy the outdoor pool and water-front garden with beach club nearby. Seaside hangout for friends or couples. See More
Stage Neck Inn York, Maine 58 rooms from £195Families - The stand-alone Grand Seaside Cottage sleeps up to 16 over 3 floors and 7 bedrooms, plus kitchen, veranda and sea viewsBeach Life - Spend days enjoying the white-sand beach just steps from the property or the sea-facing outdoor pool and lawnsRestaurant - The inviting casual restaurant has fantastic sea views on two sides. Outdoor dining is available throughout the warmer monthsGreat walks - It's a short drive to Prescott Park, a 10-acre urban riverfront retreat with gardens or closer by there's the Cliff Walk
Inn-style resort with beach access located on its own peninsula. Airy rooms are spacious and cosy with clean lines, colourful touches and outdoor seating. Plus there's a pool, spa, gardens and two sea-view restaurants. Miles of sandy beaches close by. Perfect low-key beach holiday material. See More
Stones Throw York, Maine (York Beach) 16 rooms from £212Total relaxation - Enjoy blissful days of sea, sun and surf. With everything facing out to sea, it's easy to forget the stresses of the real worldSurfing - Long Sands Beach is considered one of the top beaches in New England for surf. Join a class or simply rent kit nearbyBeach Life - The property's beach club includes complimentary beach chairs, towels and cruiser bikes for guestsRestaurant - Offering indoor and outdoor dining - both looking out to sea - the restaurants offers casual surf and turf classics
Laid-back ocean-front boutique hotel. Channelling boho 'beach shack' vibes, rooms blend a fresh white palette with cool contemporary furnishings; nearly all boast panoramic sea views. Spends days surfing or at the beach club, before enjoying casual cuisine and the on-site bar. Surf, sleep, repeat. See More