10 of the Most Romantic Hotels in Copenhagen
Compact, green and easy to stroll around, Copenhagen is a wonderful city to explore at your own pace, and most of our Guru’s recommendations for the most romantic hotels in Copenhagen are well located for this city’s most romantic sights, like the views of palaces seen from the canals, or the fairytale Rosenborg Slot, like ‘Cupid and Psyche’ in the Thorvaldsen Museum, or Catherine the Great in the spiralling pathway up to the Rundetårn observatory, like the glorious winter gardens of Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek, or the playful and magical Tivoli Gardens...If you’re planning a break to the Danish capital with your loved-one, the best place to start is here, with our Guru’s recommendations for the most romantic hotels in Copenhagen. Our list has something for lovers of Danish design chic, for lovers of luxury, for lovers of history and art, for lovers of the ocean, for lovers of good food and even for lovers of microbrewery-produced beer!
In Central Copenhagen
- The Hotel Skt Petri has been converted from a Latin Quarter department store into a bright and airy 268 room hotel. The interiors are by well known Danish artist Per Arnoldi and there’s a fittingly modern restaurant with an excellent range of microbrewery beers.
- SP34 is a characterful boutique hotel in the Latin Quarter with 118 stylish rooms and suites and an amazing penthouse. There are two restaurants and four bars, plus a beautiful roof terrace. And you’re just 500metres from the Tivoli Gardens.
- Fans of Scandi style will love the Hotel Alexandra, a 61 room hotel just 200metres from the Tivoli Gardens and packed with wonderful mid-century Danish furniture. There’s an excellent restaurant, a trendy bar and a library.
For an asian vibe
- Located in the hip Versterbro district, and close to the waterfront, the Guldsmeden Axel is a stylish spa hotel with 129 rooms and suites and a luxurious spa. The decor is a bit Balinese with white walls, teak four-poster beds, Persian rugs and private balconies.
For a Special Occasion
- For something a bit more Danish, try d’Angleterre a stunning five star hotel converted from a palace, and complete with silk furnishings, marble bathrooms, chandeliers, and a Michelin starred restaurant and opulent champagne bar. There’s also a full spa, pool and gym.
- Copenhagen is known for its design, and the Nimb Hotel is high design, just not necessarily in the Danish style. It’s been converted from an early 20th century Moorish-inspired palace within the magical grounds of the Tivoli Gardens, and has a fairytale appeal and some lovely antiques. There are just 17 sumptuous bedrooms but a choice of drinking and dining options.
The Most Romantic, yet Hip, Hotels in Copenhagen
- The Absalon Hotel is a stylish hotel on the edge of the trendy, and conveniently located, meat-packing district, with 161 individually styled rooms and a great cocktail bar.
For romance on a budget
- The Avenue Hotel is a 68 room hotel converted from a graceful 19th century building decorated with stylish Danish designed furniture and Missoni throws. There’s a lounge with live music and fantastic cocktails.
For Sea views
- If you or your partner love the beach then the Skovshoved Hotel, an elegantly restored hotel on the coast in Charlottenlund, might be perfect. There are just 22 romantic rooms featuring white-washed walls, four-poster beds, wooden floors and sea views. There also a Michelin recommended French/ Italian restaurant.
Still not sure?
- You could expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Copenhagen
- Consult our Guru's recommendations for The Best budget hotels in Copenhagen
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
d'Angleterre Copenhagen 90 rooms from £560Families - Every child is given a Lego toy at check in, and extra kids beds are set up in an in room tent complete with duck soft-toy.City Style - Set in a former palace, with views of many of the city's sights from the roof terrace, this is a luxurious choice.Foodies - Do not missed the Michelin starred restaurant Marchal which champions classic French cuisineGreat walks - Take an evening walk from Kongens Nytorv to the harbour front just south of the Royal Playhouse.
Nimb Hotel Copenhagen 17 rooms from £326City Style - An ultra chic Arabian fantasy castle, nestled in the lovely Tivoli Gardens, with glass chandeliers and Øland granite stonework.Foodies - From Nimb Brasserie to Fru Nimb and Nimb Terrasse this hotel has a multitude of fantastic dining (and drinking) options.Sights nearby - Edvard Eriksen’s diminutive Little Mermaid statue can be viewed from Langelinie promenade, a twenty minute cycle from the hotel.Great walks - Stroll around the ajoining Tivoli Gardens, these historic gardens date back to 1843.Recommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel, Mr & Mrs Smith
Early 20th-century Moorish-inspired palace becomes a sleek new design hotel. The exteriors carry a fairytale appeal, but the inside is all smart sophistication with antiques, warm wood floors and bold modern pieces. Sumptuous bedrooms and gastronomic feasts in all of the great restaurants. See More
SP34 Copenhagen 118 rooms from £181City Style - Leading the pack, the hotel is frequented by creatives and artists drawn by the pared-down Nordic style and vibrant social sceneClose to nightlife - Friday nights are when this place comes alive, with live DJ sets and free concerts and a trendy crowd of localsHotel Entertainment - The small in house cinema offers a cosy screening and the lobby bar has a wine hour every evening from 5pm.Foodies - With three distinct and excellent restaurants, a rooftop bar and a port collection that is hard to rival.
Absalon Hotel Copenhagen 161 rooms from £172Designer Shopping - Just a ten minute walk to Strøget, the city's famous pedestrianised shopping street where you can find all the top designers.City Style - A hip hotel with a vibrant colour scheme and a stylish bar, right on the edge of the city’s famed Meatpacking District.Close to nightlife - Grab a cocktail at the in house bar before heading out to explore the old taverns and trendy joints of nearby Istedgade.Local exploring - Right by the central train station, and within five minutes walk of Vesterbro, the Meatpacking District and Tivoli.Recommended by - Tablet
A stylish hotel on the edge of the trendy meat-packing district. Individually styled rooms feature warm hues, sash windows and contemporary bathrooms. A trendy bar is the ideal place for an evening cocktail. A Scandinavian styled breakfast fills you up for city exploration - right on your doorstep. See More
Hotel Alexandra Copenhagen 61 rooms from £152City Style - A passion for Danish designers of the chair is reflected in the meticulously crafted rooms, each paying homage to one the greatsSights nearby - Just steps from Rådhuspladsen, aka City Hall Square, where many of the city's events, demonstrations & celebrations take placeLocal exploring - The hotel has custom made a guidebook of a curated selection of bookshops, & another for nightlife, restaurants, flea marketsOther Activities - Tivoli Gardens, Copenhagen's famed amusement park and pleasure gardens are just around the corner and a must see.Recommended by - Tablet
Hotel Skt Petri Copenhagen 288 rooms from £251City Style - Wonderfully located in downtown Copenhagen, with interior colour schemes by renowned Danish graphic artist Per Arnoldi.Learning - Half an hour walk away is Banja Rathnov a hidden gem of a gallery that comes well recommended by the hotel.Designer Shopping - Baum und Pferdgarten is a quintessentially Danish fashion brand situated just 5 minutes from the hotel.Great walks - Superkilen is an urban park designed by some of Denmark's leading architects. A must visit.Recommended by - Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Fodors, Tablet
This perfectly located, reasonably priced, luxury hotel is a favourite in Copenhagen. Rooms are bright and airy with Jensen beds. A stand out buffet breakfast and an excellent range of microbrewed beers are offered. Business people, families and couples will all feel at home here. A slick choice. See More
Axel Guldsmeden Copenhagen 212 rooms from £136City Style - A slick Balineses-style hotel adorned with Persian rugs and Buddha stone statues, in the vibrant Vesterbro district.Spa breaks - Pure indulgence with a Balinese influence, their organic spa products are made in the kitchen every morning.Hotel Entertainment - Take an afternoon off sightseeing and visit the candlelit spa, followed by a coffee in the leafy courtyard.Sights nearby - There is plenty to see, you are near the Little Mermaid statue on the waterfront and opposite the citadel.Recommended by - Frommers
Balinese decoration and an organic restaurant, in the hip Vesterbro district. A fabulously stylish spot for couples and spa breaks. Beautiful white rooms and suites with pale woods, Persian rugs, teak four posters, and some with private balconies. Enjoy the luxurious roof top spa. See More
Avenue Hotel Copenhagen 68 rooms from £134Designer Shopping - Just around the corner on Elmegade and Jægersborggade, you can take a look at what designer boutiques Copenhagen has to offer.Other Activities - The outdoor wooden decking area offers a relaxing, atmospheric place to unwind with a cocktail after a day of exploring.City Style - The classical perfection of the 18th century architecture meets cutting edge interiors by top Danish designers.Hotel Entertainment - Enjoy the live music nights in the hotel bar, or sip a complimentary glass of red at the daily wine hour (5-6)Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Frommers, Michelin Travel, Tablet
19th Century boutique offering a great value stay in Copenhagen. Clean, modern, well-equipped rooms (some sleep four) feature Danish designs & Missoni throws. Hang out in the lounge for live music, fantastic cocktails and small bites. A great choice for city visitors and families. See More
Skovshoved Hotel Copenhagen (2920 Charlottenlund) 22 rooms from £189Country Escape - Soak up the stylish seaside vibes of Copenhagen's answer to the Hamptons — a chic and tranquil seaside villageCycling - Make like a local and rent one of the hotels bike to cycle into the big deer park or along the coast.Other Activities - The private bathing jetty is ideal for those guests who like to start their day off with a splash.Restaurant - A Hereford Beefstouw specialises in quality steaks but also serves plenty of seafood and vegetarian dishes.Recommended by - I Escape, Michelin Travel
A country and seaside retreat just outside Copenhagen. It oozes romance and elegance, but with a hip twist. Ethereal bedrooms with white washed walls, four poster beds, wooden floors and sea views. This chic, historical, family run hotel is a perfect place to stay, whoever you are. See More