The 13 Best Luxury Hotels in Florence
Florence, with its elegant piazzas graced with marble statues, its priceless Renaissance art, fresco-covered palazzos and its wonderful Ponte Vecchio - the world’s most famous jewellery arcade, is a luxurious destination. The food is Tuscan par excellence, the art divine and city view a visual feast. And if you’re here to experience the finer things then our Guru’s list of the 10 best luxury hotels in Florence will help you enjoy the very creme de la creme in style. The big chain hotels don’t seem to have a foothold here, and the vast majority of the best luxury hotels in Florence are independent ventures, converted from some of the city’s finest historic palazzos and villas. And we think our recommendations for the 10 best luxury hotels in Florence are quite something…
For a city break
- Centrally located, yet discreetly tucked away on Florence's most fashionable shopping street, Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni is the one to book if you're looking for classic, unfussy luxury in a superb location, with the added bonus of a fine dining restaurant and roof terrace with views to die for!
- JK Place Firenze is Florence's original boutique hotel and the years have not diminished its understated elegance and cool vibe. Superbly situated right on the Piazza Santa Maria Novella, this is the one to book if you're looking for a chic, sophisticated stay.
- Hidden in between the Duomo and the Palazzo Vecchio, the Hotel Brunelleschi is a 96 room boutique hotel with chic rooms and its very own museum and Roman Baths. The design is modern, but built around an impressive old tower, which is actually the oldest structure in Florence
- The Helvetia & Bristol has been the home-from-home choice of the international elite since the 17th Century, with its elegant old-fashioned luxury and charming, classically styled rooms. There’s a Mediterranean restaurant with a view of the Piazza Stozzi.
- The Gallery Hotel Art is a fabulous design hotel in central Florence with chic rooms and suites with contemporary art and private terraces with views over Florence.
The Most Romantic Luxury Hotels
- If you’re searching for Florence’s traditional romance then the Grand Hotel Villa Cora is for you. It’s an exclusive, Baroque palace hotel, with a beautiful pool and landscaped gardens, 46 luxurious rooms and a deliciously promising choice of restaurants, from fine dining to bistro service.
For a luxury villa hotel
- Once a private home, the Torre di Bellosguardo is a beautiful villa which overlooks Florence from its hilltop position. If you appreciate palatial rooms with wonderful frescoed ceilings and four poster beds then this might be the place for you.
- Or, if you’d prefer your historic villa just five minutes from the centre of Florence, then the Villa Tolomei is the one to book. It’s a small five star hotel, set in 20 peaceful hectares of olive groves and vineyards, with wonderful gardens, a lovely pool and spa and a fantastic Tuscan restaurant.
Luxury hotels for a special occasion
- The Four Seasons Firenze has been converted from two beautifully restored Renaissance villas, set within an incredible 11 acre botanical garden with a high end pool and spa. The public areas showcase Renaissance art, the suites are decorated with only the best fabrics and furnishings and the restaurant has a Michelin star.
- The Palazzo Vecchietti is a 15th Century palazzo right in the heart of Florence. Dante called it ‘Paradiso’. It’s now divided into 14 luxurious suites and apartments with exquisite decorations and art, high ceilings and wonderful views.
- In Piazza della Signorina is a sophisticated townhouse hotel with a selection of ten rooms, suites and apartments. All with beautiful, boutique-style interiors, and some with four-poster beds and views over the square. There’s also a small gym, sauna and spa.
Great Value luxury hotels
Experiencing Florence in luxury doesn’t have to come with a big price tag, and our Gurus have turned up several properties worth a recommendation.
- Antica Dimora Johlea is a six room boutique hotel with romantic, eclectic decor, which includes canopied four poster beds and vintage treasures. It also has panoramic views of the city, and the rooms start at €136 per night.
- Casa Howard is a chic and intimate B&B in an elegant Florentine palazzo with 13 individually decorated and themed rooms. The owners are a couple of textile designers who also own two similarly charming and unique B&Bs in Rome. And rooms start at under €100 per night.
Still not sure which to book?
- You could refine your search by location, to the 10 Best Hotels in Florence's Historic Centre, or the Best Hotels in the Hills of Florence, or the Best Hotels on Florence’s Oltrarno, or the Best Hotels near the Piazza San Croce.
- Or you could expand your search to include our recommendations for all the best places to stay in Florence.
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
JK Place Firenze Florence (Tuscany) 20 rooms from £325Hotel Entertainment - Start your night with a drink at the rooftop bar, with breathtaking views of FlorenceCity Style - Right in the heart of Florence, with impeccable service and undeniable styleSights nearby - Love sculpture and well-kept gardens? Head to Boboli Gardens for a Renaissance hot pot of sculptureDesigner - Interiors by designer Michele BonanRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Fodors, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels
A chic luxury boutique hotel in the heart of Florence. Personal touches and thoughtful details give JK Place Firenze a homely feel. The rooftop bar and courtyard dining room are wonderful additions and the J.K. Lounge is a great place for a cocktail. The first boutique hotel in Florence. See More
Antica Torre di Via Tornabuoni Florence 25 rooms from £154Local exploring - Our Gurus rate this as Florence's best location, just steps from the best restaurant and boutiques not to mention the sights!Museums - Visit the Palazzo Pitti, the Uffizi Palace and the Bargello Museum for some great art collectionsSights nearby - Next door is the church of Santa Trinita with Ghirlandaio frescoesDesigner Shopping - Via de’ Tornabuoni has all the designer names you could want
Four Seasons Firenze Florence 116 rooms from £768Honeymoons - Opulent Renaissance suites, dining under the stars, double spa treatments and expansive gardens for walking hand in hand.Total relaxation - Relax- this hotel will literally take care of everything from your children to the tension in your shoulders!Good wine list - The Winery serves more than 50 Italian wines by the glass and has a list of nearly 400 bottles.Restaurant - Michelin starred restaurant serves Tuscan delights.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection
Two beautifully restored Rennaissance buildings set in an incredible 11-acre botanical garden with, high end spa and pool. Public areas showcase Renaissance art and sumptuous suites spare no expense. Think silk, velvet, marble, frescoed walls and antique furniture. Il Palagio boasts a Michelin Star. See More
Grand Hotel Villa Cora Florence 46 rooms from £256Honeymoons - Pick the forties-themed suite on the fourth floor with private lift access for a romantic honeymoon hideawayLocal exploring - The Boboli gardens and imposing Pitti Palace are literally steps awayOpulent - Expect ornate parquet flooring and fabulous frescoes!Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolRecommended by - Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel, Mr & Mrs Smith
Exclusive Baroque splendour in Florence with a beautiful pool and landscaped gardens. Luxurious bedrooms are complete with frescoes and antiques. Boasting an exceptional Tuscan restaurant and a superb location just steps from Boboli Gardens, this property is hard to beat! See More
Hotel Brunelleschi Florence (3, Duomo) 96 rooms from £319Local exploring - Culture vultures will love the galleries and museums at the doorstep. All made easier by the tie ups with the hotel.Sights nearby - The Duomo is full to the rafters with art, gilded doors, statues as well as being the resting place of the Medici.Romantic Break - A romantic escape in the heart of Florence.Private Hot Tub - In the suites.Recommended by - Tablet
Positioning between the Duomo and Palazzo Vecchio makes this 4* boutique a romantic hideaway in the heart of Florence. Chic rooms are spoiling with views and comfort. Be warned, proximity to some of the most famous works of art might mean you can't sleep at night! Tower Bar is popular hangout. See More
Helvetia & Bristol Florence (Tuscany) 67 rooms from £404City Style - A unique and plush setting with period furniture, heavy drapes, and lived-in velvet sofas.Foodies - Spend an evening feasting on classic Tuscan dishes wunderkind Roberto Cordisco.Cooking classes - Special cookery packages available, master your favourite Tuscan dishes.Sights nearby - A stone's throw from the beautiful and ancient Strozzi Palace.Recommended by - Tablet, Frommers, Michelin Travel, Fodors
Since the mid-17th Century this charming hotel has housed the international elite in its elegant rooms and with its old-style luxury. Charming, classic styled rooms vary in size but all exude comfort. The Hostaria Bibendum offers a Mediterranean menu with a view of Piazza Strozzi. A charming stay. See More
Palazzo Vecchietti Florence 14 rooms from £259Self catering - Luxurious self-catering apatments come with small kitchenettes, ideal for those who want to be self-sufficientWalking distance restaurants - The concierge willl advise and book lunch or dinner for guests in one of Florence's many wonderful restaurantsLocal exploring - perfectly placed beside Piazza della Repubblica and just a short walk from the city's major attractionsFamilies - With connecting rooms and children under 6 staying for free, this is a great choice for familiesRecommended by - Tablet
15th century distinguished Palazzo named after the family that once lived here, right in the heart of Florence. Dante called it 'Paradiso'. Now divided into fourteen luxurious and exquisitely decorated suites and apartments, some with terraces, high ceilings and views. Perfect for art lovers. See More
Antica Dimora Johlea Florence 6 rooms from £118Value chic - Beautifully adorned rooms with silk fabrics and four poster beds, from just €90 per night B&B.Views - Take your drink or coffee up to the roof terrace and enjoy spectacular city views.Romantic Break - Stunning rooms and unbeatable views.Sights nearby - Florence Botanical Gardens, Cathedral of Santa Maria del Fiore, San Lorenzo Church and Ponte Vecchio.Recommended by - Sawdays, Michelin Travel
A neighbourhood guesthouse offering an authentic feel of Florentine life; ancient tiled floors and shuttered windows mix with brightly coloured soft furnishings. Plenty of thoughtful touches - books to borrow, free cakes and hot drinks all day - and with a knock-out roof terrace. Great value too. See More
Casa Howard, Florence Florence 13 rooms from £69Romantic Break - With beautiful suites, charming terraces and plenty of sites within walking distance this is the perfect romantic hideaway.Families - Large family rooms are available making this a great choice for those travelling with young children.Value chic - With chic Italian design and rooms starting at just €80, this is a very reasonable stay.Cooking classes - The hotel can organise Tuscan cooking classes by an expert chef, with genuine ingredients and traditional recipes.Recommended by - I Escape
Casa Howard is a unique guesthouse in an elegant historical palace in the heart of Florence. Family-friendly base within easy reach of some of the best shops and restaurants. Each room is as unique as the guests. Centrally located and great value. The perfect alternative to a boutique hotel. See More
Torre di Bellosguardo Florence 16 rooms from £139Hideaway - Set in picturesque parkland just outside Florence this is a great base for those who want a tranquil baseFamilies - The self-catering apartment which sleeps upto 5 is ideal for familiesSights nearby - Spend a day visiting the Uffizi, the Piazza della Signoria, the Duomo, the San Lorenzo and the Medici ChapelsGreat walks - Head out straight from the property on long walks through the Tuscan countrysideRecommended by - Sawdays
Villa Tolomei Florence 31 rooms from £148Country Escape - Set in the picturesque Tuscan countryside yet with easy access to Florence, this property gives the best of both worldsFoodies - The Il Conventino a Marignolle restaurant, offers exquisite Tuscan cuisine using fresh produce from the estateViews - Fantastic views over Florence and the Arno ValleySit-out TerraceRecommended by - Tablet
Gallery Hotel Art Florence 74 rooms from £187Families - With both a kids club and family friendly outlook this is a great choice for those travelling with childrenCity Style - Chic contemporary style in the heart of the city, expect minimalist design and modern artworksSights nearby - Close to the Ponte Vecchio and Palazzo StrozziDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
In Piazza della Signorina Florence, DUPLICATE 10 rooms from £217Families - Triples and apartments for four people.LuxuryRomantic BreakCity StyleRecommended by - Fodors
A sophisticated townhouse hotel with a selection of rooms, suites, and apartments. Beautiful interiors have boutique decoration, paintings on the wall, some with four poster beds, pretty fabrics, and views over the square. Small gym, sauna, and spa therapies. Stylish, romantic, family friendly. See More