The 7 Best Trulli Hotels in Puglia
Puglia has many charms – medieval palazzi, rocky coves, snowy-white stone – but none as recognisable as its trulli houses. These conical-topped, white-washed, circular stone cottages – thought to originally have been built as peasants’ dwellings – are found around Alberobello. Those in Alberobello itself are UNESCO-protected. Others have been imaginatively converted to provide a unique hotel stay with thick stone walls, quirky-shaped rooms, and beds tucked into alcoves. They’re both romantic and great fun. We’ve picked out some of Puglia’s best trulli hotels, so you can start planning...
Family friendly trulli hotels
- The four trulli at B&B Fascino Antico make an excellent choice for families on a budget. Sleeping up to four people, each of the trulli, separated by steps and terraces, have simple, rustic interiors with white walls and colourful bedspreads. There’s also a large garden with swimming pool.
- Also with a pool, Abate Masseria and Resort is more a rural hideaway than resort, with just eight rooms in delightful trulli with thick stone walls, domed ceilings and terracotta floors. This is excellent value for money plus the restaurant has a reputation for its excellent Puglian cooking.
- The trulli rooms at Trulli e Puglia in Alberobello are all UNESCO-protected. Children will love the village atmosphere – there’s a café, wine bar and small shop – and the quirky spaces inside each house. All are individual: some have beds in alcoves, others have spiral staircases while the larger ones have kitchenettes.
Mid-range trulli hotels
- Set in extensive grounds with a large garden and freeform pool, Masseria Cervarolo offers charming rooms in individual trulli houses – several are family suites – that sit next to the former farmhouse. Spacious and rustic, with colourful rugs and individual patios, the rooms are very relaxing, and there’s a choice of indoor and outdoor dining.
- By contrast, Leonardo Trulli Resort – with just four rooms – is definitely a rural hideaway. Rooms are elegantly rustic with exposed-stone walls, flagged floors, pretty fabrics and beds often tucked romantically in alcoves. The pool, with shady loungers, overlooks lovely countryside.
Luxury trulli hotels
- The six suites and rooms at Nina Trulli Resort offer a romantic hideaway feel. Elegantly simple with a mix of rustic and contemporary furnishings, and designer bathrooms, each room – dotted with candles and soft lighting – feels cosy and private. Some have terraces, and there’s a large outdoor pool in the garden.
- The 14 trulli houses at Borgo Canonica have been given a chic contemporary makeover without losing their innate charm. Sleek furniture, designer lighting, modern bathrooms and neutral tones are set against thick walls and flagged floors. There’s a beautiful infinity pool and pretty gardens, too.
Still not sure which to book?
- We have plenty more hotels in Puglia for you to browse if you click here.
- Or you could check out our pick of the best hotels in Campania or The Amalfi Coast.
- Alternatively you can contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
B&B Fascino Antico Alberobello (Martina Franca) 4 rooms from £82Families - Three of the rooms sleep up to four people, ideal for parents travelling with young childrenLocal exploring - Half a mile from the famous town of AlberobelloSights nearby - The Egnatia ruins are an interesting archaeological siteKayaking - Kayak through the sea caves of ZinzulusaRecommended by - Michelin Travel
A glorious little Trulli B&B with rock bottom prices and rooms that sleep four. Picturesque white domed rooms, originally peasants' houses, have rustic chic interiors. Lovely gardens and pool, and close to many attractions in Puglia. Perfect for families or groups of friends exploring on a budget. See More
Abate Masseria & Resort Noci 8 rooms from £77Hideaway - Get away from it all amidst walnut and fig trees, wisteria and jasmine - a stunning traditional Puglia domed truilli.Foodies - A restaurant hugely popular with locals for the excellent antipasti.Value chic - Excellent value for this rural hideawaySights nearby - Just 9kms from the impressive caves of Castellana.Recommended by - Sawdays
A charming 17th century Trulli set amidst pretty grounds. Sympathetically converted rooms features arches, domed ceilings, white washed stone walls and simple traditional furnishings. A glorious spa, outdoor pool and locally acclaimed restaurant. A great choice for a traditional Puglian experience. See More
Trulli e Puglia Alberobello 12 rooms from £82Families - Flexible accommodation means that rooms can be configured to sleep up to eight, perfect for familiesSights nearby - There's a number of stunning beaches nearbyTraditionalFull of character
Masseria Cervarolo Ostuni Brindisi, Puglia 18 rooms from £134Families - A number of the rooms sleep upto four and the pool has a lifeguard meaning children can roam free!Country Escape - With beautiful countryside, indulgent cuisine and a large pool this is an idyllic rural escapeTraditionalCooking classes - Learn traditional Puglian recipesRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Sawdays
Leonardo Trulli Resort Locorotondo BA, Puglia 4 rooms from £104Country Escape - A wonderfully rustic chic country retreat, feast on fresh traditional Pugliese dishes and local wines in the fragrant gardens.Sights nearby - The beautiful Trullo Church of St. Anthony is five miles away as well as the UNESCO protected Trulli of Alberobello.Great walks - Enjoy beautiful walks in the surrounding countryside of Puglia.Full of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
A delightful rural hotel set in picturesque traditional south-Italian Trulli. Rooms exude a rustic charm and are elegantly decorated with simple furniture. Take an excursion to discover the marvellous Trulli of Alberobello or simply enjoy the beautiful scenery by the pool. A Puglian paradise. See More
Nina Trulli Resort Monopoli (Bari), Puglia 6 rooms from £165Local exploring - Hire a vespa and discover the surrounding villages and townsCountry Escape - A converted farm set in picturesque Puglian countrysideSights nearby - Explore the churches and palaces of beautiful LecceSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool
A chic converted Masseria set in the picturesque rural landscapes of Puglia. White washed rooms, uneven walls and well placed ornaments all lend an air of rural-cool. A good sized pool, fantastic restaurant (serving regional produce) and easy access to Puglia's sights make this a fantastic stay. See More
Borgo Canonica Cisternino (BR), Puglia 14 rooms from £154Hideaway - A charming Puglian retreat designed to completely unwind.Great walks - Discover the beautiful countryside on long walks starting straight from the property.Sights nearby - Visit the architecturally unusual cathedral in Trani.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Tablet, Sawdays
A collection of white washed trulli cones sitting pretty against a Puglian hill. Designed impeccably throughout with the soft yellow stone set against beige and white hues and the odd pop of colour coming from a contemporary chair or painted window frame. A tranquil and romantic hideaway. See More