7 of the Best Hotels in Dorsoduro, Venice
The Dorsoduro is, along with the Jewish Ghetto area, probably one of the most ‘Venetian’ of all the districts of the city. Choosing one of Venice’s best hotels in the Dorsoduro gives you a little more breathing space, and a little more reality, than in the scrum around San Marco - lovely and rich though the latter is.
Yet many visitors don’t explore beyond its obvious - and very fine - attractions of the Accademia art gallery, the Punta della Dogana contemporary art space, the fabulous 18th-century decorative arts in the Ca’ Rezzonico and the gorgeous Santa Maria della Salute with its collection of Titian’s work.
But if you wander at will, you’ll chance on quiet squares, rich Venetian architecture and serene churches. And the waterfront pavements between Punta della Dogana and the Stazione Marittima - popularly known as the Zattere - is where those in the know do their evening passeggiata, stopping for a drink or a gelato to admire the sunset.
7 of the Best Hotels in Dorsoduro
Dorsoduro's Best Waterfront Hotels
- It may be a simple pensione but Pensione La Calcina offers charmingly unfussy rooms furnished with well-chosen antiques and parquet flooring, many with lagoon views - ask for a corner room. Its restaurant, on a pontoon, is a delightful place for drinks and dinner.
- Steps away from Santa Maria della Salute, the Centurion Palace has a splendid Gothic façade but ultra-contemporary rooms - think designer furniture and bold colours. Sit on the terrace to enjoy watching the passing Grand Canal traffic. There’s also a private courtyard when the heat of the city gets too much.
Dorsoduro's Best Design Hotels
- It may look like any other 16th-century palazzo from the outside but, inside, Ca’ Pisani mixes bold contemporary design with art-deco flourishes. The overall effect is cool and urban. Definitely one to look at if you want a break from Renaissance overload.
The Most Romantic Hotels in Dorsoduro
- The two rooms at Palazzetto 113 are furnished in a chic yet sultry style with rich fabrics, gilded mirrors and embossed wallpapers. Tucked down a side-street, and with a no-children policy, this is a perfect retreat for two.
- Equally romantic, is sister hotel Ca Maria Adele with its fabulous position next to Santa Maria della Salute. Rooms are decadently furnished with plenty of dark damask, rich fabrics and massive chandeliers. Again, there’s a no-children policy plus there’s a small terrace.
Some of the Best B&Bs in Dorsoduro
- Family-run and with charming, traditionally furnished rooms - some of which have balconies overlooking the canal - the Pensione Accademia is excellent value, plus it’s in a quiet location, and has two gardens.
- By contrast DD724 is modern and minimalist with white-walled rooms, open rafters, and funky charcoal and gold colours. It’s unfussy yet elegant and makes a cool retreat after a day of sight-seeing.
Choosing one of the best hotels in Dorsoduro is the ideal option if you want to be close, but not too close, to the heart of the city. If there's nothing in this selection that fits the bill, then check out all our Venice recommendations, or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Pensione Accademia Venice 27 rooms from £219Museums - Well positioned for the Accademia Gallery, the Peggy Guggenheim Collection, and the Punta della Dogana contemporary art spaceHideaway - Set in the quiet residential area of the Dorsoduro quarter yet within close proximity to many sites — a quiet city hideawayTraditional - Rooms are typically Venetian in style with antiques and traditional terrazzo flooringSights nearby - A 15 minute walk to St Mark's Square and the Fenice Opera House
DD724 Venice 6 rooms from £292City Style - Offering some welcome contemporary cool in historic Venice. A property for those who like clean lines and minamilist styleFamilies - Two of the rooms can accommodate families and baby sitting services can be arranged for when parents need a break!Boutique - With just six rooms, chic modern design, and high-end service - this is a classic boutique optionEco break - The hotel’s clean energy comes exclusively from the Trentino hydroelectric power plantsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Ca’ Pisani Venice 29 rooms from £256City Style - Break the traditional Venetian style with sleek Art-Deco design, think bamboo-parquet floors, steel stairs & walnut bedframesLocal exploring - This neighbourhood is bustling with Galleries and Museums, and just a short walk to all the main sightsArtworks - Find pieces from some of the key figures in the Italian Futurist movementSights nearby - Check out the nearby Punta della Dogana, a warehouse holding the contemporary art collection of billionaire Francois PinaultRecommended by - I Escape, Michelin Travel, Tablet
This intimate and chic hotel was Venice's first designer hotel. Minimalist Art-Deco bedrooms are a welcome change from the tardy baroque excesses that litter the city. It's prime location and unique charm make it a popular spot. Enjoy the wine and cheese bar, with street-side seating. See More
Palazzetto 113 Venice 2 rooms from £260Local exploring - A chic base to explore the winding lanes of this historic city, or enjoy the view from rooftop bar after a day of cultureSights nearby - There are several attractions nearby including the Church of Santa Maria and the Chiesa di San Giorgio bell towerRomantic Break - In-room fireplaces, exceptionally comfortable beds, and an intimate feel make this ideal for a romantic hideawayGroups - With just two rooms this is a good option to take in its entirety as a small group of friends
Ca Maria Adele Venice 12 rooms from £315City Style - Chic hotel with fantastic views of the Santa Maria della Salute Basilica in central VeniceRomantic Break - Ornate kingsize beds and sumptuous fabrics throughout make this a romantic choiceGreat walks - Wander down to the island tip where Punta della Dogana hosts the stunning art collection of billionaire Francois PinaultSights nearby - The hotel overlooks the Santa Maria della Salute BasilicaRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Kiwi Collection
16th-century palazzo, overlooking Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute in the Dorsoduro neighbourhood. The décor harks back to a bygone era of decadence and style. Think rich fabrics, bold wallpaper and quirky antiques. Choose one of the themed rooms for the best experience and fine lagoon views. See More
Pensione La Calcina Venice 27 rooms from £134Local exploring - Set on the banks of the Zattere, the area is quiet, yet its just a short walk from St Mark's square and the stationRestaurant - Enjoy traditional Venetian or Mediterranean cuisine on a floating terrace in front of the hotelGreat walks - Overlooking the Giudecca Canal this hotel is a pleasant a scenic walk from the heart of VeniceSights nearby - The hotel is a short walk from the Basilica of St. Mary of Health and the Jesuit ChurchRecommended by - Frommers, Good Hotel Guide, Michelin Travel
A charming (and popular) romantic pension converted with style and flair, where Ruskin used to stay during his visits. Classic rooms feature parquet flooring and antiques. Some have great views of the Giudecca canal. Breakfast can be enjoyed al fresco overlooking the city. A Venetian dream. See More
Centurion Palace Venice 50 rooms from £349Local exploring - Located in the heart of the Dorsoduro district next to the Basilica of S. Maria della Salute and a number of museumsFoodies - Refined contemporary Italian dishes at Antinoo’s Lounge & Restaurant are worthy of a stay aloneCity Style - A luxury five-star stay offering the best of both worlds in its design with the old and the newContemporary - Contemporary interiors behind a Venetian Gothic facade!Recommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels
Stunning luxury hotel behind a classic Venetian facade perfectly situated on the Grand Canal. Fabulous rooms and suites filled with contemporary art, trendy designer furniture and clever lighting. Beautiful courtyard, restaurant with terrace, centrally located. Venice in style. See More