I love your site btw! Alex Slater.
The 6 Best Hotels in Baixa, Lisbon
Baixa was almost entirely flattened by a huge earthquake in 1755, and was rebuilt in a beautiful, neo-classical style, with grand boulevards and leafy avenues lined with boutiques, all opening out onto magnificent plazas - and all incorporating some of the earliest examples of earthquake resistant architecture. This is also where you’ll find many of Lisbon’s visitor highlights, so even if you don’t choose to stay in one of the best hotels in Baixa, you should certainly start your explorations here.
The area lies roughly between Lisbon Castle and the Avenida da Liberdade, which has beautiful mosaic-patterned pavements, gardens, monuments, cafes and boutiques.
In fact, probably start your explorations after you’ve visited one of Baixa’s impressive collection of cafes. It’s got a good choice of bars and restaurants too. After that you might consider a stroll along the Rua da Augusta, which is probably Lisbon’s grandest avenue. Or you could start by admiring the grid layout from the top of the Arco da Rua Augusta. Or you could visit the fascinating Elevator de Santa Justa, a giant metal elevator on Rossio Square. If you’ve a shopping day in mind you might want to start on Baixa’s other greave avenue, the Avenida da Liberdade.
As well as its own highlights, Baixa is close to the historic Alfama district and the Bairro Alto, which is known for its nightlife. It’s also possible to get a train to almost every district in Lisbon from Baixa.
The 6 Best Hotels in Baixa
The Best Located Hotels in Baixa, Lisbon
- Carefully converted from an 18th century building on Lisbon’s Município Square, AlmaLusa is a chic, contemporary, 28 room hotel with a fantastic Portuguese brasserie.
Beautiful Hotels in Baixa, Lisbon
- Pousada de Lisboa boasts a great central location and combines elegance with contemporary design. Excellent cuisine and all the creature comforts of crisp linen and spacious rooms.
The Best Design Hotels in Baixa
- The Internacional Design Hotel is a boutique hotel with a contemporary, city-break vibe and 55 modernist rooms. The detail in the design is meticulous - which you would hope to see, considering the name of the hotel.
- Brown's Central Hotel is an elegant downtown hotel. Guestrooms feature contemporary interior design with vintage touches and modern artwork; book a suite for a four-poster bed and living area. Dine at the hotel brasserie before drinks at the chic bar; a refined city getaway.
- Baixa House offers luxury apartments in a restored heritage property. Interiors boast original features like ceramic tiles, wooden floors and large windows; book a larger apartment for family-sized living space. Prepare meals with full self-catering facilities; a stylish city stay.
The Best Value Hotels in Baixa
- The LX Boutique Hotel is right on the edge of Baixa, in a sort of triangle between Chiado and Cais do Sodré. There are 61 rooms, decorated with plenty of blue - to match the facade. Plus a superb restaurant. And all starting from around €90 per night.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Lisbon?
- Or consider our Guru’s collection of the 6 Best Hotels in Alfama? or the 4 Best Hotels in Chiado?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
AlmaLusa 28 rooms from £198Lisbon
This understatedly luxurious hotel, tucked away in a central but quiet square, oozes calm and chic. Original features of the 18th-century building are combined with a cool, monochrome palette, and a modern concierge service.Romantic Break - Superb accommodation, excellent cuisine and one of Europe's most romantic cities on your doorstep-the ideal choice!Local exploring - Situated in the heart of Lisbon, Alma Lusa is the perfect base from which to get to know the cityLocal markets - Check out the TimeOut market, a unique food and cultural experience created by the magazine's editorial curationGreat walks - Meander through the iconic narrow sloping streets of Bairo Alto getting a feel for Lisbon's ambianceRecommended by - Tablet
Pousada de Lisboa 90 rooms from £259Lisbon (Santa Maria Maior)
An impressive Pousada boasting a fabulous central location. Elegant contemporary rooms feature chandeliers, dark polished parquet flooring and crisp white linens. Dine on excellent cuisine in the atmospheric restaurant complete with vaulted ceiling. A superb base for city exploring.City Style - Housed in an opulent 18th-century sunflower-yellow Pombaline building, bursting with character, style and indulgent decadence.Local exploring - Well posisitioned within walking distance to many of the cities' major attractions.Full of character - Elegant decor in the best of traditional style, chandeliers add glamour maintaining the palacial grandeur.Sights nearby - Visit the ancient cathedral or the Church of St Anthony just a short walk from the hotel.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Tablet
Internacional Design Hotel 55 rooms from £123Lisbon
This truly boutique hotel provides a really unique city experience. Its contemporary designs with their modernist furnishings, aromas, touches, and sounds create a vivid wonderland. An urban oasis.City Style - Meticulous in its design and character makes for a really unique city experienceSights nearby - A few minutes from the Bairro Alto, Chiado and Saint George CastleRecommended by - Tablet, Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel
LX Boutique Hotel 68 rooms from £123Lisbon
This centrally located townhouse hotel with a bold blue-and-white colour scheme and contemporary style rooms has stunning river views. Well-placed for enjoying the city’s best sights and nightlife. Plush rooms, a superb restaurant and an unbeatable location all combine to create a formidable hotel.Sights nearby - Ten minutes walk from Lisbon Cathedral, Praça do Comércio and Igreja de São Roque.Local markets - Two minutes walk from Mercado da Ribeira.Lively area - In the thick of the action.Full of character