- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ Save time, save money
Best Kasbah Hotels in Morocco
Like France’s châteaux, Morocco’s wonderful kasbahs, or fortresses, are just ripe to be beautiful hotel conversions. These romantic, mostly mud built, buildings were the homes of local leaders and have high walls and easily defendable positions - which to a hotel guest means spectacular panoramic views. Aside from the walls and the vantage point, kasbahs come in all shapes and sizes. Which also means that the best Kasbah hotels in Morocco come in all shapes and sizes too.
Our Guru’s recommendations for the best kasbah hotels in Morocco also come with a wide range of room rates. Some kasbah conversions offer every imaginable luxury, but some are beautiful but fairly basic, or in magical, but hard to reach locations.
The kasbahs of the Atlas Mountains are well loved by trekkers and those looking for a real escape from modern life. Richard Branson’s kasbah conversion is known for its star-studded guests. But each of our Gurus' recommendations has those magical Arabian Nights qualities which will make your Moroccan adventure extra special.
The Best Kasbah Hotels in Morocco
The Most Luxurious Kasbah Hotels in Morocco
- The Kasbah Tamadot is Richard Branson’s exclusive Moroccan hideaway, an amazing palatial paradise in the foothills of the High Atlas mountains, but also within easy reach of Marrakech. From the outside this kasbah seems to hunker down on a dusty hill, but inside the bohemian opulence takes over and there’s every imaginable comfort, plus beautiful rose gardens and incredible views.
- Ouarzazate’s Dar Ahlam is a luxurious retreat with 14 sumptuous suites and villas. This is an excellent place to stay if you want experiences to be shared with you, as they specialise in taking guests on tailor-made excursions. In spring and summer stay in the garden suites and in winter opt for the kasbah proper.
- The Amanjena was converted from a larger fortress rather than a kasbah, but the end result is so palatial that it’s worth including here. There are fountains strewn with roses, beautiful mosaics, red walls, palm trees, vast, pavilion-style rooms and every imaginable luxury. There are 39 rooms and a spa that goes above and beyond. Perfect if you’re in need of pampering.
The Best Kasbah Hotels in Marrakech
- Ksar Char Bagh is a beautiful Moorish palace in the scrublands of the Palmeraie with 13 elegant suites, tranquil gardens a luxurious hammam and wonderful cuisine - chef Damien Durand trained with Alain Ducasse. The views are also incredible. This is actually a modern building, but it feels centuries old.
- The Kasbah Agafay was built in the 18th century, out of mud, but the result is a magical, Arabian Nights kind of palace with 20 beautiful rooms and suites - some of them in wonderful canopied tents. The decor is fitting of such a building, and the views are of orange groves and a Berber village. The restaurant also runs cooking classes and there’s a hammam and spa.
The Best Kasbah Hotels in the Atlas Mountains
- Kasbah Bab Ourika occupies a breathtaking spot in the foothills of the Atlas Mountains. Tasteful and serene, this kasbah is surrounded by a beautifully groomed gardens of olive trees, lavender and roses. There are just ten rooms, each individually decorated. This is a wonderful place to escape. But it’s also only 45minutes from Marrakech.
- High up in the Atlas Mountains, the eco-friendly Kasbah du Toubkal is a wonderful retreat run by Berbers and only reached by donkey. Or on foot, of course, and that’s one of the great appeals of this kasbah, it’s a Mecca for walkers and trekkers looking for a bit of spoiling post adventure. The rooms range from economical dorms to luxurious havens, but the Moroccos decor and indescribably beautiful views make it a treat at whatever price.
The Best Value Kasbah Hotels in Morocco
- Kasbah Angour is a beautifully preserved kasbah in the foothills of the Atlas Mountains. The views are superb, and the 25 rooms and suites have been carefully restored using traditional materials. The garden has also been carefully restored, and a pool has been added. You’re just 30mintues drive fro Marrakech and rooms start from just over £100 per night.
If you haven’t found your ideal hotel on our Guru’s list of the best Kasbah hotels in Morocco, you could:
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Morocco,
- Refine your search by destination, to the best places to stay in Marrakech, or the best places to stay in the High Atlas Mountains,
- or consider Guru's list of the Top Ten Places to Stay Outside Marrakech?
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
The Best Kasbah Hotels in Morocco
Kasbah Tamadot 28 rooms from £450Asni, High Atlas
Richard Branson's exclusive Moroccan hideaway. The ultimate luxury break - 5-star spa, undulating rose gardens, celestial valley views from its hilltop perch, gourmet feasts. Want for nothing in this Atlas heaven.Active Holiday - With a range of trekking options from north Africa's highest peak Jbel Toubkal to a gentle hike down the river to Asni village.Honeymoons - Romantic suites with wonderful views, charming touches and private dining.Swimming Pool - Infinity pool with stunning viewsHills & mountainsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Kiwi Collection
Amanjena 39 rooms from £604Marrakech (km 12)
World famous luxury hotel. This tranquil retreat pays homage to North Africa's stark beauty - sun-paled red walls, rose strewn fountains. Pavilion style rooms with proportions worthy of a Pasha. The spa that goes above and beyond. A 'peaceful paradise' that breathes romance and beauty.Romantic Break - Think king-sized beds beneath up-lit Venetian stuc domes and private dining in your softly lit dining hall.Total relaxation - Lounge by one of the many pools, indulge in candlelit oil massages and sessions in the Hammam.Sights nearby - Situated near Marrakech the red-walled former fortress crisscrossed by narrow lanes.Great walks - Stroll aorund the lovely lush gardens, a haven for birds and butterflies.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection
Kasbah Agafay 20 rooms from £263NOT TO SHOW
An 18th-century mud fort, transformed into an Arabian Nights fantasy. The beautiful canopied suites feature antique furnishings, bold fabrics and warm tones. Kasbah Agafay stands alone on their unrivaled views, service and attention to detail. An opulent oasis.Total relaxation - Unwind and relax in the beautiful tented suites, hammam, spa, poolside or wandering arounf the expansive gardens.Foodies - The on site restaurant serves mouthwatering locally sourced cusine and provides cooking classes for guests.Views - Stunning views of the Atlas mountains.Great walks - Wander the property grounds, or explore the desert and fields leading to the High Atlas.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Dar Ahlam 14 rooms from £430Ouarzazate
Traditional kasbah in Skoura's Palmeraie, four hours from Marrakech, transformed into a luxury and spoiling retreat. 14 sumptuous suites & villas, plus hammam, large pool & plenty of activities including quad safaris or hiking. Tailor made excursions including private dining under the desert stars.Swimming Pool - Heated Outdoor PoolSpa - With hammamRomantic - Good for couples.Great walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux
La Gazelle d'Or 30 rooms from £386Taroudant, NOT TO SHOW
Luxurious hunting lodge turned hotel on the outskirts of Taroudant. Set amid extensive exotic gardens with superb views of the Atlas Mountains. Swimming pool and spa with traditional hammam. Beautifully kitted out suites and pavilions. Come here for pampering and serenitySights nearby - The ancient walled city of TaroudantSwimming Pool - Outdoor poolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Kids Club - Fully staffed.
Ksar Char Bagh 13 rooms from £307Marrakech (La Palmeraie BP 2449)
A beautiful Moorish palace, in the Palmeraie scrub-land. The elegant suites marry phenomenal attention to detail with Moroccan chic and European style. The tranquil gardens, luxurious hammam and mouthwatering cuisine make this a fairy-tale honeymoon retreat you'll never want to leave.Honeymoons - A private a and tranquil palace, with romantic suites, candlelight dinners and plenty of grounds to explore.Spa breaks - A wonderful hammam for the unique spa experience.Swimming Pool - Luxurious outdoor poolArchitectural - Moorish palace.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux
Kasbah Tabelkoukt 11 rooms from £14285350 Mirleft
A charming coastal guesthouse, perched on the side of cliff overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Large and characterful rooms each follow a separate theme, from Africa to spa. Lovely terrace dining beside the infinity pool. Spa and beauty treatments plus Hammam give a touch of luxury.Total relaxation - A relaxed coastal retreat, make the most of the hotel's spa and beauty salon with invigorating massages and treatments.Eco break - This hotel uses solar water heating, rainwater recovery for the garden, doesn't use AC's and sticks to organic produce.Surfing - Nearby plage Sauvage offer rental equipment and courses for beginners and experienced surfersFishing - Head out with local fishermen to discover deserted beaches and creeks known only to them.
Kasbah du Toubkal 17 rooms from £140Atlas Mountains, High Atlas
An eco-friendly resort perched on the side of the Atlas Mountains. The rooms range from economy dorms to luxurious havens. Moroccan chic decor with exposed wood beams, whitewash walls and bright fabrics. Indescribable views. The delicious food and lovely hosts seal the deal.Exclusive offerActive Holiday - This is the perfect spot to set off on a once ina lifetime trekking experience, not for the faint hearted!Trekking - This is trekking country- Choose from the Flexible 6-day trekking package or the 2-day ascent of Toubkal.Eco break - it employs locals, funds the Village Association and has won a Green Globe for sustainable tourism.Child friendly - Plenty of activities on and off site.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Johansens
Kasbah Bab Ourika 10 rooms from £132Ourika, High Atlas
A stunning escape in the foothills of the Atlas mountains less than an hour from Marrakech. With staggering mountain views - this is the perfect place for enthusiastic trekkers as well as those who want to relax.Exclusive offer - Eco friendly breakLuxuryGreat walks - In the national park and the Atlas MountainsViews - Spectacular views to the Atlas MountainsSwimming Pool - Outdoor Pool
Kasbah Angour 25 rooms from £111High Atlas
Gorgeous Berber castle in foothills of the Atlas Mountains. Superb panoramic views, suites with traditional Moroccan materials and locally made furniture. Beautiful gardens, a large swimming pool and wonderful local excursions. A relaxing spot to recoup in after a day of activity.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Views - Great views from hotelTraditional