To Riad or not to Riad? 15 Best Boutique Hotels in Marrakech
Marrakech is a heady blend of colour, spice, sunshine and activity which can leave the fresh-off-the-plane visitor very much in need of a hammam and a mint tea. But if you’re booked in to one of our Guru recommended best boutique hotels in Marrakech then that will definitely be taken care of, plus a lot more. And from the boutique comfort you’ll soon be ready to hit the streets and souks again.
Many of our Gurus’ favourite places to stay in Marrakech are beautiful, traditional Moroccan riads, some of which we feel have similar qualities to what we’d call a "boutique hotel" in other countries. Morocco is known for its beautiful artistic heritage, and some of the tile work, stucco and carved wood design in these properties is up there with the city’s cultural highlights.
But if you’re looking for something a bit more modern then our list of the best boutique hotels in Marrakech has something for you too. As well as some amazing restaurants-turned-hotels and some peaceful Palmeraie retreats if you’re here to relax as well as immerse yourself in the medina.
The Best Riads in Marrakech
- Riad Adore is a beautiful, newly restored property in the heart of the medina, just minutes from the souks. The ten rooms are chic and contemporary, and all boast sumptuous furnishings, luxury bed linens and a balcony too. There's a charming roof terrace, small plunge pool, micro-spa and hammam and delicious dinners on request. A real delight!
- Romantic, with fairytale French interiors, Riad de Tarabel is one of the most luxurious riads in the medina. With a hidden spa, 1.4m deep heated pool and large luxurious suites (some with two baths) it's a great choice for first timers to the Red City.
- Riad Jaaneman is a luxurious riad with just five beautifully appointed suites - think four poster beds, marble floors, vast bathrooms and balconies with views to the Atlas Mountains.
- The Riad El Fenn is a hip yet carefree hangout with beautiful artistic details. Walls are hung with art, tables are covered in silk, courtyards are tree, and tortoise, filled, there are piles of Berber cushions everywhere, and plenty of flowers too. There’s also a rooftop terrace with incredible city views, a hammam, screening room, a library and two pools.
For a romantic stay
- Dar Zemora is a traditional, six room hotel nestled in amongst beautiful gardens of olive, palm and lemon trees. The decor is colourful and Moroccan and there’s a heated pool and romantic dining room. The large garden makes this a private and peaceful place to stay.
Great value boutique hotels
- Understated and elegant, with design that combines Moroccan tradition and European style, Dar Les Cigognes is in a great location, with fantastic views from its roof terrace. There are 11 rooms, each unique, in these two converted riads, joined into one by a bridge over a small alleyway. There’s also a spa, harman and hot tub.
- In an off-the-beaten-track medina location, Dar Hanane represents excellent value for money. Its six rooms and suites are beautifully elegant, plus there's a fabulous roof terrace with epic views, charming courtyard, and delicious traditional cuisine if you want to dine in.
- Just ten minutes walk from Djemaa el Fna, the Riad Les Yeux Bleus is charming and unpretentious, tucked away down a pink alleyway. Elegant and very Moroccan, there’s a trickling fountain, a rooftop view, bright colours in the decor and in the bougainvillea-filled courtyard and the smell of lemon trees. There’s a small hammam, and very reasonable prices.
Marrakech's Modern Style Boutique Hotels
- Villa 55 is in the Palmeraie, so it offers a bit more space and a bit more peace. There are just ten rooms which are simple and stylish, with mainly white decor and splashes of Moroccan colour. There’s a wonderful garden and a traditional kitchen.
- Recently restored, the Riad Joya is wonderfully unfussy, with natural materials used in a simpler, more modern way. The rooms and courtyards are bright and light with modern furnishings and the service standards are high.
- The Villa des Oranges is a smart, six room hotel with a fusion of Moroccan and European decor. Think beautiful mosaic floors and wood panelled walls. There’s a luxurious hammam and a tranquil inner courtyard.
Family friendly boutique hotels
- Ryiad El Cadi is a calm refuge in the heart of town, with 15 peaceful rooms and just the right amount of fine furniture and art so you’re not constantly panicked about it. The white washed walls keep it simple and there’s a lovely roof-top sun terrace.
The Best Boutique-y Hotels in Marrakech
This category is a bit different, with those hotels our Gurus love, but may not quite fit the boutique bill perfectly.
- La Maison Arabe is an iconic restaurant turned luxury hotel with 26 rooms, in the heart of the medina. Does it qualify as a boutique hotel? Maybe? But it’s got that sort of vibe, with a beautiful blend of traditional Moroccan craftsmanship and European style, and of course excellent food.
Still not sure which to book?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Marrakech.
- Or consult our Guru’s recommendations for the best Riads in Marrakech, or for 10 of Marrakech's Best Hammams and Spas, or for 10 of the Best Places to Stay in Marrakech for Foodies.
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Riad Adore Dar el Bacha, Marrakech Medina 10 rooms from £130Local exploring - The souks, medina and main square are all easily accessed from the propertySights nearby - Go on a morning tour of Marrakech which includes the sweet gardens of Bahia Palace, Koutoubia Tower and the Saadian TombsLocal markets - There is an abundance of buzzing souks and markets to exploreSpa - Massage/Treatment room on the roof terrace.
El Fenn Marrakech 28 rooms from £217Honeymoons - Stunning suites and spectacular views, spa treatments and belly dancers plus unbeatable food- what more could you want?Chic - An arty riad filled with British modern art and Moroccan collectables.Roof terrace - Magical views at night.WellbeingRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Kiwi Collection
Unique understated bohemian hipness meets flawless service in this sprawling interlinked 5-riad strong hotel owned by Vanessa Branson, on the edge of the Marrakech medina. Lounge out in one of the vast colourful suites, 7000 ft roof terrace or hip rooftop restaurant with views of the Atlas Mountains See More
Dar Les Cigognes Marrakech Medina 11 rooms from £143City Style - Magical rooms in a stylish Riad, with award winning restaurant and extensive spa services- all in the center of Marrakech!ElegantCooking classes - Learn to cook traditional Moroccan food with the school that was voted Best Moroccan Cooking School in the world.Local markets - Less than a ten minute walk away you'll find Jamaâ El Fna Square, the main market in MarrakechRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Dar Zemora Marrakech 6 rooms from £195Country Escape - A totally tranquil property near the bustling city of Marrakesh making it the ideal place to relax after a days explorationRomantic Break - A romantic haven, with lavish fourposter beds, incredible six-course dinners and lush gardens for strolling hand in hand.Tennis - Access to tennis courts can be arranged by the hotel.Swimming Pool - Two outdoor poolsRecommended by - I Escape, Mr & Mrs Smith
Riad de Tarabel Quartier Dar El Bacha Marrakech Médina 10 rooms from £200City Style - An elegant colonial-style riad filled with French antiques.Local markets - Situated amidst the Medina, step out of the hotel and scour the souk for treasures.Romantic - With stylish French interiors it's hard not find Riad de Taravel utterly romantic.Boutique - Small, private and peaceful, Riad de Tarabel is close to perfection.
Spacious and elegant, this colonial style riad in the bustling Marrakech medina is the epitome of luxury. French antiques are scattered throughout the property alongside traditional Moorish architecture. Feast on regional classics, be pampered in the spa. Perfectly placed for city exploring. See More
Dar Hanane Marrakech (Kaat Benahid) 6 rooms from £100Local exploring - Museums and souks are within 5 minutes walk.Sights nearby - The souk and the main square are just a short (5 minutes) walk away.Boutique - Each of the six rooms is individually styled.Local markets - Good for local colour.
The pared down interiors of Dar Hanane and its six simple yet elegant rooms attract a discerning crowd looking for an authentic Moroccan experience in the medina. There's a small plunge pool, and roof terrace with city views. An ideal spot if you want to be far from the madding crowd. See More
Villa des Orangers Marrakech (Place Ben Tachfine) 6 rooms from £223Great walks - Wander around the Djemaa el Fna bursting with fire breathers, snake charmers, belly dancers and street vendors.Spa breaks - The lavish spa treatments are professional and totally spoiling, nevermind the Hamamm and multipile pools.City Style - An elegant Riad, minutes from the main attractions, with an exclusive feel and first rate amenities.LuxuryRecommended by - I Escape, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux
Riad Jaaneman Marrakech 5 rooms from £174City StyleRomantic BreakSights nearby - Situated in the heart of the medina, a stone's throw from the souks and the Dar el Bacha PalaceViews - Wonderful views of the Dar el Bacha Palace over to the Atlas Mountains
A highly luxurious boutique Riad in the Medina. Romantic chic suites, some with four poster beds, have marble floors, photographs on the walls, delicate Italian bedding, enormous bathrooms, and balconies with views towards the Atlas mountains. Glorious courtyard and roof terrace. A stylish haven. See More
La Maison Arabe Marrakech (Bab Doukkala) 26 rooms from £180LuxuryRestaurant - Recommended.Local markets - Ten minutes from Jamaâ El Fna Squarem, with plenty of smaller souks nearby.Great walks - Head out to Majorelle Gardens for a peaceful stroll.
Riad Les Yeux Bleus Marrakech 8 rooms from £148Local exploring - Just inside the medina walls in the Bab Doukkala neighbourhood, right in the centre of the action for explorers.Cooking classes - Ask at the hotel about nearby cooking classes, there are plenty of great ones in the area!Local markets - Jemaa El Fna square is only a ten minute walk and is the main market of Marrakech.Sights nearby - Bahia Palace and Conference Palace are both nearby.
Riad Joya Marrakech (Derb El Hammam 26/27) from £179Sights nearby - Hear call to prayer at Koutoubia Mosque or visit the ancient sight of the Saadian Tombs.Great walks - Through the 12 acres of the Majorelle Botanical Gardens.Local markets - Marrakech's souks should be braved and explored.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection
This recently restored riad is a breath of fresh air amidst the melange of Marrakech's medina. This property is light and bright with modern furnishings, made of natural materials and maintaining their Moroccan heritage. There is a roof terrance, spa and restaurant serving local and European food. See More
Riyad el Cadi Marrakech (Dabachi) 15 rooms from £125City Style - Five stunning 14th-century Riads, with enchanting interiors, cool leafy courtyard and tented roofterrace, right in the Medina.Local exploring - Just around the corner from the all-singing, all-dancing, fire-eating, snake-charming, food-vending madness of Djemaa el-Fna.Artworks - Lofty architecture, museum-worthy textiles, historic objects d’art and original frescoed featuresLocal markets - Explore the wonderful and wild souks haggle over an array of textiles, carpets, leatherwork, spices and jewellery.Recommended by - I Escape
Villa 55 Marrakech (La Palmeraie Bab Atlas) 10 rooms from £108Hideaway - 15 minute drive to central Marrakech allows you to escape the rush, while the wealth of amenities means you never have to leave!Cooking classes - Learn how to cook traditional Moroccan food using sustainable and responsible ingredients.Romantic - Good for couples.Remote - Off the beaten track.
Luxury boutique hotel in the Palmeraie of Marrakech. The charming rooms are simple and stylish, think white on white with a splash of Moroccan colour. Sit out under the stars and relish the subtle flavours of home grown chemical free ingredients, prepared in the traditional kitchen. Simply magical. See More