- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Book Online Now
To Riad or not to Riad? Best Boutique Hotels in Marrakech
Marrakech is a heady blend of colour, spice, sunshine and activity which can leave the fresh-off-the-plane visitor very much in need of a hammam and a mint tea. But if you’re booked in to one of our Guru recommended best boutique hotels in Marrakech then that will definitely be taken care of, plus a lot more. And from the boutique comfort you’ll soon be ready to hit the streets and souks again.
Many of our Gurus’ favourite places to stay in Marrakech are beautiful, traditional Moroccan riads, some of which we feel have similar qualities to what we’d call a "boutique hotel" in other countries. Morocco is known for its beautiful artistic heritage, and some of the tile work, stucco and carved wood design in these properties is up there with the city’s cultural highlights.
But if you’re looking for something a bit more modern then our list of the best boutique hotels in Marrakech has something for you too. As well as some amazing restaurants-turned-hotels and some peaceful Palmeraie retreats if you’re here to relax as well as immerse yourself in the medina.
- Riad Jaaneman is a luxurious riad with just five beautifully appointed suites - think four poster beds, marble floors, vast bathrooms and balconies with views to the Atlas Mountains.
- The Riad El Fenn is a hip yet carefree hangout with beautiful artistic details. Walls are hung with art, tables are covered in silk, courtyards are tree, and tortoise, filled, there are piles of Berber cushions everywhere, and plenty of flowers too. There’s also a rooftop terrace with incredible city views, a hammam, screening room, a library and two pools.
- Romantic and intimate, the Riad Al Moussika has just five bedrooms, courtyards flooded with sunlight and a delicious Italian/French/Moroccan restaurant. The decor is classical Moroccan, around a central courtyard with a pool, bougainvillea and rose-filled fountains.
The Most Romantic Boutique Hotels in Marrakech
- Maison MK is a relaxing retreat in this frenetic city, with just six rooms, neutral tones, a fantastic harman, a peaceful rooftop terrace and an intimate Moroccan/ French fusion restaurant. The design was done by a fashion photographer so it’s quite stylish too, but still traditional.
- Dar Zemora is a traditional, six room hotel nestled in amongst beautiful gardens of olive, palm and lemon trees. The decor is colourful and Moroccan and there’s a heated pool and romantic dining room. The large garden makes this a private and peaceful place to stay.
For great value
- Understated and elegant, with design that combines Moroccan tradition and European style, Dar Les Cigognes is in a great location, with fantastic views from its roof terrace. There are 11 rooms, each unique, in these two converted riads, joined into one by a bridge over a small alleyway. There’s also a spa, harman and jacuzzi.
- Just ten minutes walk from Djemaa el Fna, the Riad Les Yeux Bleus is charming and unpretentious, with just eight rooms tucked away down a pink alleyway. Elegant and very Moroccan, there’s a trickling fountain, a rooftop view, bright colours in the decor and in the bougainvillea-filled courtyard and the smell of lemon trees. There’s a small hammam, and very reasonable prices.
- Riad Sapphire is another good one to book if you're looking for a seriously chic property at great prices. There are just eight coolly elegant suites, roof top terrace, hammam and spa. All for as little as £128 B&B.
Modern Style Boutique Hotels
- Villa 55 is in the Palmeraie, so it offers a bit more space and a bit more peace. There are just ten rooms which are simple and stylish, with mainly white decor and splashes of Moroccan colour. There’s a wonderful garden and a traditional kitchen.
- Recently restored, the Riad Joya is wonderfully unfussy, with natural materials used in a simpler, more modern way. The rooms and courtyards are bright and light with modern furnishings and the service standards are high.
- The Villa des Oranges is a smart, six room hotel with a fusion of Moroccan and European decor. Think beautiful mosaic floors and wood panelled walls. There’s a luxurious hammam and a tranquil inner courtyard.
- Jnane Tamsna is the perfect boutique option for families, with a good range of accommodation, on site pools (there are five!), tennis court and various other activities which the hotel will happily arrange. Great location too and fabulous food.
- Ryiad El Cadi is a calm refuge in the heart of town, with 15 peaceful rooms and just the right amount of fine furniture and art so you’re not constantly panicked about it. The white washed walls keep it simple and there’s a lovely roof-top sun terrace.
The Best Sort-of Boutique Hotels in Marrakech
This list is a bit different, with those hotels our Gurus love, but may not quite fit the boutique bill perfectly.
- La Maison Arabe is an iconic restaurant turned luxury hotel with 26 rooms, in the heart of the medina. Does it qualify as a boutique hotel? Maybe? But it’s got that sort of vibe, with a beautiful blend of traditional Moroccan craftsmanship and European style, and of course excellent food.
If you haven’t found your ideal property amongst our pick of the best boutique hotels in Marrakech, you could:
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Marrakech,
- consult our Guru’s recommendations for the best Riads in Marrakech,
- or the best hammams and spas in Marrakech,
- or the best places to stay in Marrakech for foodies?
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
El Fenn 28 rooms from £219Marrakech
Unique understated bohemian hipness meets flawless service in this sprawling interlinked 5-riad strong hotel owned by Vanessa Branson, on the edge of the Marrakech medina. Lounge out in one of the vast colourful suites, 7000 ft roof terrace or hip rooftop restaurant with views of the Atlas MountainsHoneymoons - Stunning suites and spectacular views, spa treatments and belly dancers plus unbeatable food- what more could you want?Chic - An arty riad filled with British modern art and Moroccan collectables.Roof terrace - Magical views at night.WellbeingRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Kiwi Collection
Maison MK 6 rooms from £408Marrakech
A fabulously relaxing and romantic retreat in a frenetic city. Subtly lit rooms with neutral tones and sensual shapes. Sensational food, fantastic hammam, and wonderful roof top terrace. Truly luxurious.Honeymoons - Honeymoon heaven, with a bottle of bubbly on arrival, romantic rooftop terrace, pampering spa and private dining options.Foodies - Spectacular Moroccan-French fusion- the five course tasting menu with rooftop drinks and canape reception, is a MUST!Great walks - Wander the streets of the old city, watch a snake charmer, bargain for some goods, and most importantly get lost!Cooking classes - With two courses- one hardcore cooking, the other includes an interesting visit to the local market.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Kiwi Collection
Dar Les Cigognes 11 rooms from £145Marrakech Medina
An understated and elegant Riad, in the heart of Marrakech. The beautifully decorated rooms fuse Moroccan and European styles to create enchanting spaces. Fantastic views from the roof top terrace, while you chow down on award winning delicious food. Simply magical.Exclusive offer - Free Night OfferCity Style - Magical rooms in a stylish Riad, with award winning restaurant and extensive spa services- all in the center of Marrakech!ElegantCooking classes - Learn to cook traditional Moroccan food with the school that was voted Best Moroccan Cooking School in the world.Local markets - Less than a ten minute walk away you'll find Jamaâ El Fna Square, the main market in MarrakechRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
Dar Zemora 6 rooms from £195Marrakech
Understated luxury in the Palmeraie a short drive from the medina that will appeal to couples and small groups seeking poolside peace in a beautiful garden location. Ideal for completely unwinding.Country Escape - A totally tranquil property near the bustling city of Marrakesh making it the ideal place to relax after a days explorationRomantic Break - A romantic haven, with lavish fourposter beds, incredible six-course dinners and lush gardens for strolling hand in hand.Swimming Pool - Two outdoor poolsFull of characterRecommended by - I Escape, Mr & Mrs Smith
Villa des Orangers 6 rooms from £223Marrakech (Place Ben Tachfine)
Smart French-owned hotel with authentic Moroccan decoration. Sophisticated rooms with rich Moroccan-style wooden furnishings, beautiful and luxurious hammam, and inner courtyards for relaxing. A destination for wellbeing and pampering.Great walks - Wander around the Djemaa el Fna bursting with fire breathers, snake charmers, belly dancers and street vendors.Spa breaks - The lavish spa treatments are professional and totally spoiling, nevermind the Hamamm and multipile pools.City Style - An elegant Riad, minutes from the main attractions, with an exclusive feel and first rate amenities.LuxuryRecommended by - I Escape, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux
Riad Jaaneman 5 rooms from £175Marrakech
A highly luxurious boutique Riad in the Medina. Romantic chic suites, some with four poster beds, have marble floors, photographs on the walls, delicate Italian bedding, enormous bathrooms, and balconies with views towards the Atlas mountains. Glorious courtyard and roof terrace. A stylish haven.City StyleRomantic BreakSights nearby - Situated in the heart of the medina, a stone's throw from the souks and the Dar el Bacha PalaceViews - Wonderful views of the Dar el Bacha Palace over to the Atlas Mountains
Jnane Tamsna 24 rooms from £228Marrakech
A fairytale hideaway set in acres of beautiful gardens. Minimalist Moroccan splendour achieves a peaceful contemporary look. Organic produce from the gardens and the hammam spa awaken the senses. The perfect location for a wedding or group holiday.Families - With extensive gardens, five pools, tennis courts, and prebooked specialised kids activities this is the perfect family getaway.Weddings - One of the hotel's main clientele due to the beautiful grounds and flexible accommodation in different buildings.Garden - A 15-acre walled estate.WellbeingRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
La Maison Arabe 26 rooms from £182Marrakech (Bab Doukkala)
Iconic restaurant turned luxury hotel, in the Medina of Marrakech. The decor is a sublime combination of traditional Moroccan craftsmanship and smart European style. Every detail sings charm, old-school elegance, and history.LuxuryRestaurant - Recommended.Local markets - Ten minutes from Jamaâ El Fna Squarem, with plenty of smaller souks nearby.Great walks - Head out to Majorelle Gardens for a peaceful stroll.
Riad Les Yeux Bleus 8 rooms from £149Marrakech
Charming unpretentious riad, located in the Bab Doukkala district, ten minutes walk from Djemaa el Fna and the centre. Individually designed rooms are small but beautiful. Plus there's a roof terrace and two small plunge pools for cooling off. Ideal for those seeking peace and quiet.Local exploring - Just inside the medina walls in the Bab Doukkala neighbourhood, right in the center of he action for explorers.Cooking classes - Ask at the hotel about nearby cooking classes, there are plenty of great ones in the area!Local markets - Djemaa El Fna square is only a ten minute walk and is the main market of Marrakech.Sights nearby - Bahia Palace and Conference Palace are both nearby.
Riad Joya from £179Marrakech (Derb El Hammam 26/27)
This recently restored riad is a breath of fresh air amidst the melange of Marrakech's medina. This property is light and bright with modern furnishings, made of natural materials and maintaining their Moroccan heritage. There is a roof terrance, spa and restaurant serving local and European food.Sights nearby - Hear call to prayer at Koutoubia Mosque or visit the ancient sight of the Saadian Tombs.Great walks - Through the 12 acres of the Majorelle Botanical Gardens.Local markets - Marrakech's souks should be braved and explored.OpulentRecommended by - Kiwi Collection
Riyad el Cadi 15 rooms from £126Marrakech (Dabachi)
Calm, stylish refuge filled with fine furniture and art. Beautiful white washed patios and roof top sun terrace. A place of tranquility and calm. Its accommodations are well suited for families. A stay in history, amidst history.City Style - Five stunning 14th-century Riads, with enchanting interiors, cool leafy courtyard and tented roofterrace, right in the Medina.Local exploring - Just around the corner from the all-singing, all-dancing, fire-eating, snake-charming, food-vending madness of Djemaa el-Fna.Artworks - Lofty architecture, museum-worthy textiles, historic objects d’art and original frescoed featuresLocal markets - Explore the wonderful and wild souks haggle over an array of textiles, carpets, leatherwork, spices and jewellery.Recommended by - I Escape
Villa 55 10 rooms from £110Marrakech (La Palmeraie Bab Atlas)
Luxury boutique hotel in the Palmeraie of Marrakech. The charming rooms are simple and stylish, think white on white with a splash of Moroccan colour. Sit out under the stars and relish the subtle flavours of home grown chemical free ingredients, prepared in the traditional kitchen. Simply magical.Hideaway - 15 minute drive to central Marrakech allows you to escape the rush, while the wealth of amenities means you never have to leave!Cooking classes - Learn how to cook traditional Moroccan food using sustainable and responsible ingredients.Remote - Off the beaten track.Full of character