Wine hotels in Canterbury and the Waipara Valley
New Zealand’s third-largest city, Christchurch, on the east coast of South Island, is one of the gateways to the Canterbury wine region. Although the area is bordered by the more famous vineyards of Marlborough and Central Otago, it certainly holds its own for producing elegant, balanced wines, made from Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Riesling grapes. The sheltered Waipara valley, some 40 miles (65kms) north of Christchurch, is famed for its honeyed, spicy Rieslings. Our selection of wine hotels in Canterbury gives you the choice of staying in the city or in the countryside.
Wine hotels near Waipara Valley
- Set in 20 acres of lake-strewn grounds - which, entertainingly, include an alpaca farm - Stoneleigh Lodge is a wonderfully private hideaway with just two very large and elegant suites. There’s also an indoor heated pool plus the chance to fish, golf, whale-watch as well as tour the vineyards.
Wine hotels in Christchurch
- For a friendly, good-value city base, Finlay Banks Boutique Bed & Breakfast makes a good choice. Rooms are airy and thoughtfully designed - bathrobes, fresh flowers, chocolates - and there’s a delightful patio in the rose garden for enjoying the generous breakfasts. It’s just 10 minutes’ drive to the city centre so it’s both convenient as well as quiet.
- Closer to the centre and next to the Botanic Gardens, The Classic Villa is a startlingly pink, Italian-style affair offering sharp, contemporary rooms with boutique-hotel fittings. Expect stripped-wood floors, faux-fur throws and silky cushions. There’s an outdoor terrace with fire, while the breakfasts are rich and exotic.
- In the heart of the city, The George is a crisp and stylish property with light, minimalist rooms, huge beds, feature wallpapers, underfloor-heated bathrooms and floor-to-ceiling windows. It’s chic and sleek without losing comfort to design. There’s a choice of two award-winning restaurants plus free bicycles to borrow.
- If you’re looking for luxury and romance, Otahuna Lodge just to the south of the city, might fit the bill. Sitting in beautiful gardens and parkland, its rooms are softly grand with antiques, fireplaces and vast windows. Fresh flowers fill the elegant lounges plus plenty of activities are on offer including an outdoor pool, tennis, and cookery classes with the chef.
Our choice of the best wine hotels in Canterbury means you can enjoy either a taste of the city life or take it more slowly with a relaxing stay in the countryside. Alternatively you can check out our Ultimate guide tof the best wine hotels in New Zealand, or expand your search to include all our recommendations in Christchurch or the South Island.
Stoneleigh Lodge Christchurch (Ohoka) from £160Swimming Pool - Heated indoor poolGreat walks - Good for walkers.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.
Two suites in a luxury lodge set in 20 acres of landscaped grounds with three lakes and a working alpaca farm. Rooms, large and light with modern amenities. Use of an indoor heated pool during winter, and close to wineries, skiing and whale spotting destination. Ideal for an action packed holiday. See More
The Classic Villa Christchurch Arts Centre 12 rooms from £150Quirky - Bright pink in colourRestrictions on children - Must be 12 and overBoutiqueRecommended by - Fodors
Finlay Banks Boutique Bed and Breakfast Christchurch (Burwood) 2 rooms from £95Restrictions on children - Not allowedHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.Great walks - Good for walkers.Boutique
The George, Christchurch Christchurch 53 rooms from £216Views - Overlooking picturesque Hagley Park and River AvonSights nearby - Short walk from museum, botanical gardens, casinoHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.TennisRecommended by - Tablet, Fodors