- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Wine hotels in Canterbury and the Waipara Valley
New Zealand’s third-largest city, Christchurch, on the east coast of South Island, is one of the gateways to the Canterbury wine region. Although the area is bordered by the more famous vineyards of Marlborough and Central Otago, it certainly holds its own for producing elegant, balanced wines, made from Pinot Noir, Chardonnay and Riesling grapes. The sheltered Waipara valley, some 40 miles (65kms) north of Christchurch, is famed for its honeyed, spicy Rieslings. Our selection of wine hotels in Canterbury gives you the choice of staying in the city or in the countryside.
Wine hotels near Waipara Valley
- Set in 20 acres of lake-strewn grounds - which, entertainingly, include an alpaca farm - Stoneleigh Lodge is a wonderfully private hideaway with just two very large and elegant suites. There’s also an indoor heated pool plus the chance to fish, golf, whale-watch as well as tour the vineyards.
- Surrounded by its own vineyard, olive groves and orchard, Clearview Lodge offers spacious and colourful, contemporary designed rooms, with balconies or patios. The gardens are a bird-spotters’ paradise while golfers will want to try out the next-door golf course, the best in the area.
Wine hotels in Christchurch
- For a friendly, good-value city base, Finlay Banks Boutique Bed & Breakfast makes a good choice. Rooms are airy and thoughtfully designed - bathrobes, fresh flowers, chocolates - and there’s a delightful patio in the rose garden for enjoying the generous breakfasts. It’s just 10 minutes’ drive to the city centre so it’s both convenient as well as quiet.
- Closer to the centre and next to the Botanic Gardens, The Classic Villa is a startlingly pink, Italian-style affair offering sharp, contemporary rooms with boutique-hotel fittings. Expect stripped-wood floors, faux-fur throws and silky cushions. There’s an outdoor terrace with fire, while the breakfasts are rich and exotic.
- In the heart of the city, The George is a crisp and stylish property with light, minimalist rooms, huge beds, feature wallpapers, underfloor-heated bathrooms and floor-to-ceiling windows. It’s chic and sleek without losing comfort to design. There’s a choice of two award-winning restaurants plus free bicycles to borrow.
- If you’re looking for luxury and romance, Otahuna Lodge just to the south of the city, might fit the bill. Sitting in beautiful gardens and parkland, its rooms are softly grand with antiques, fireplaces and vast windows. Fresh flowers fill the elegant lounges plus plenty of activities are on offer including an outdoor pool, tennis, and cookery classes with the chef.
Our choice of the best wine hotels in Canterbury means you can enjoy either a taste of the city life or take it more slowly with a relaxing stay in the countryside. Alternatively you can check out our Ultimate guide tof the best wine hotels in New Zealand, or expand your search to include all our recommendations in Christchurch or the South Island.
Stoneleigh Lodge from $208Christchurch (Ohoka)
Two suites in a luxury lodge set in 20 acres of landscaped grounds with three lakes and a working alpaca farm. Rooms, large and light with modern amenities. Use of an indoor heated pool during winter, and close to wineries, skiing and whale spotting destination. Ideal for an action packed holiday.Swimming Pool - Heated indoor poolGreat walks - Good for walkers.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.
Clearview Lodge 3 rooms from $224Christchurch (Harewood)
Luxury lodge with three tasteful and spacious suites just 15 minutes from Christchurch city centre. Set on 10 acres of vines, olive groves and orchards in a peaceful setting. Array of wild birds in garden and glorious outdoor seating area by pool.Birdwatching - Seasonal visitors in garden include paradise ducks and kingfishersSpaSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.
The Classic Villa 12 rooms from $195Christchurch Arts Centre
Boutique B&B in bright pink Italian style villa in Canterbury. Rooms with top amenities and nice views. Delicious Mediterranean style breakfast with fresh tropical fruits and local produce. Eco-friendly and close to sights such as Botanic Gardens.Quirky - Bright pink in colourRestrictions on children - Must be 12 and overRecommended by - Fodors
Otahuna Lodge from $526Christchurch (Tai Tapu)
Luxury lodge with 118 year old stunning gardens nationally recognised for their beauty. Rooms are light and spacious, with open fireplaces and antique furniture. Cooking classes available with onsite chef. Perfect for a relaxing romantic getaway.Views - Across Canterbury plains to Southern AlpsLocal markets - Good for local colour.Secluded setting - For escaping.Great walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Fodors, Tablet, Relais & Chateaux
Finlay Banks Boutique Bed and Breakfast 2 rooms from $124Christchurch (Burwood)
A charming and colourful family run boutique B&B run with two ensuite rooms. A lovely outdoor patio in the rose garden, generous breakfasts and nice touches like chocolates in rooms. Ten minute drive to Christchurch city centre.Restrictions on children - Not allowedFishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Great walks - Good for walkers.Hideaway - Tranquil and intimate.
The George, Christchurch 53 rooms from $281Christchurch
Small luxury boutique hotel in centre of Christchurch. Local art on walls, top amenities and great views from rooms out to Hagley Park or River Avon. Two award winning restaurants, access to a gym and free use of mountain bikes. City style done well.Views - Overlooking picturesque Hagley Park and River AvonSights nearby - Short walk from museum, botanical gardens, casinoHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.Recommended by - Tablet, Fodors