14 Best Wine Hotels in New Zealand
New Zealand has ten major wine-producing regions, and many smaller ones, well spread out across the North and South Islands, from Northland down to Canterbury and Central Otago. Which means you can easily blend your wine tasting with some of New Zealand’s other highlights — though maybe don’t bungee jump directly after a tasting or a gourmet meal… New Zealand is relatively small, not much larger than the UK, so it’s certainly possible to hop between wine regions, staying in several of our Guru’s picks for the best wine hotels in New Zealand — that’s certainly what they recommend! We've put together a varied selection of properties chosen not only on their wine tasting credentials but also, service, style and amenities. So you can expect everything from top notch five star luxury lodges to chic little B&Bs.
For the Album
- Craggy Range Cottages are a collection of nine contemporary cottages in a remote, and extremely picturesque spot in Hawke's Bay. Surrounded by grape vines in the foreground, the cottages have private pools and terraces, and cosy wood-burning stoves, and an extremely impressive restaurant for a neighbour. The restaurant is known for its creative takes on traditional cuisine, inspired by excellent local produce and the award-winning wines produced on the estate. Family friendly too.
- The Gibbston Valley Lodge & Spa is a luxurious, contemporary hotel in the idyllic setting of a Pinot noir vineyard just outside Queenstown. It offers 24 rooms and suites, arranged in stylish villas with private sun-decks, open plan living space and huge bathrooms. There’s a wonderful ‘vinotherapy’ spa, complete with hot pools and a sauna, and an atmospheric fine dining restaurant with a menu created by a renowned chef — and an incredible wine list! If you want to dine privately you’re most welcome; the lodge also prepares picnics, and offers bike hire.
For the Views
- Stoneridge Estate is the name of both the vineyard, and the nine-room boutique hotel that sits upon it, overlooking a lake and mountains. This is a spectacular spot not far from Queenstown, and the hotel is beautifully designed to make the most of it, with floor-to-ceiling windows and comfy chairs angled towards them — with small tables for your wine glass of course. Rooms are contemporary or traditional, and there’s a stylish restaurant onsite too, known for the innovative way it treats local produce. Perfect for outdoors-folk, as well as those here for the wine tasting.
- Greenhill Lodge is a elegant hotel set on 73 acres of farmland in Hastings, and surrounded by incredible rural views. While the location feels remote the facilities are luxurious: roll-top baths — some on private terraces — open fires, huge beds, beautiful antiques, a library and billiard room, a pool and gym, and a viewing tower with a turret. The restaurant is welcoming, yet elegant, and the wine list is exclusively Hawke's Bay — because that’s where the Greenhill Lodge is located, but that’s not a problem, because this is New Zealand’s second largest wine-producing region, known for its Bordeaux-blend wines.
For the Vineyard Experience
- Mt Michael Lodge is set between a mirror-like lake and rows of Pinot noir grape vines (between Queenstown and Wanaka), a rural retreat with just four bedrooms. Inside and outside the design is minimalist, with floor-to-ceiling windows that let the setting do the work. Each of the rooms has a private terrace, and two have hot tubs on the terrace. There’s also a central pool and a sunny courtyard. There’s no restaurant but they offer an excellent breakfast, and their wine list is very impressive.
- Built from local stone and wood, at the heart of a working vineyard, the Takatu Lodge & Vineyard is small but perfectly formed. There are just four rooms, all light and spacious, with outdoor decks and floor-to-ceiling windows, open fires and plush soft furnishings. The wine list is impressive, and the local produce is too — the Matakana Farmers’ Market is a local draw, as is the property’s proximity to the ocean.
- Black Estate B&B is a striking studio apartment overlooking a valley of vines on the Black Estate winery, in the Waipara Valley. The other inhabitant of this architecturally interesting building is an acclaimed restaurant, specialising in organic food, which changes daily and is beautifully paired with the estate’s wines. Grab the studio’s bikes and explore the winery on wheels, or head out on long walks right from your door. Secluded and super romantic.
- Breckenridge Lodge is a small hotel outside Napier, and surrounded on all sides by rows of Chardonnay grapevines. Its five rooms are individually decorated, and have a homely charm, with open fires and country chic decor. The owners are serious foodies, and the evening meal is a big part of what goes on here, with daily changing five course menus utilising local produce and ingredients from the lodge’s kitchen gardens. Paired with local wines, naturally!
- Historic, clapboard, and secluded in beautifully manicured gardens, Beaufort House is a charming converted mansion in Akaroa — which is on the coast, but surrounded by vineyards. Inside are five guest rooms and a charming collection of communal spaces, including a cosy sitting room, a lounge and dinging room. The decor is country traditional, with antiques, chintz fabrics and roaring fires in season. There’s no restaurant, but there are many excellent places to eat and drink within a short stroll.
- The Peppertree is an elegant low-lying Edwardian mansion just outside Blenheim in the heart of the Marlborough region. Now converted into a five bedroom hotel, there’s still a sense of refined luxury, from the picturesque, wisteria-draped verandah, to the free-standing baths and open fires. Guests can set out on foot to visit local wineries, along hiking trails that pass amongst the grape vines. There’s no restaurant, but they serve breakfast on the verandah.
- The George is a large, crisp and stylish affair in the heart of Christchurch. Its 53 rooms and suites are light and comfortably minimalist, and onsite you’ll find a choice of two award-winning restaurants; a gym; library; a beautiful garden, and complimentary bike hire. Some of the suites are perfect for families, and they offer a babysitting service.
- The Hotel d’Urville is a small, smart, boutique hotel in the heart of Blenheim — which is a great base for exploring the vineyards of the Marlborough region. With a grand, pillared and porticoed exterior, and historic references in the interiors, this looks and feels like a much more expensive hotel. Its 11 rooms and suites are decorated in a range of styles and periods, but they all have nice antiques or vintage pieces, and original artworks. There’s a great restaurant and cocktail bar.
For the Coast
- The vineyards of Northland, predominantly around the Bay of Islands, are a good pick if you want to combine wine-tasting with sunbathing. And the Paihia Beach Resort is an especially good pick, just a stone’s throw from one of the Bay’s prettiest beaches. This is a small resort, with just 21 rooms and suites, but it still has great resort facilities, including a lagoon pool, an excellent spa, a poolside restaurant, kids’ playground, and light, breezy, sea-view rooms with private balconies.
For Great Value
- With a facade like a classic old corner inn and pub, The Martinborough Hotel has been chicly made-over, into a collection of 20 individually styled, guest rooms, so it’s now more of a boutique pub! Expect lots of light, from large windows and private balconies, and a range of styles and antiques. You should also expect a stylish bistro and bar. And plenty of charm from Martinborough, which is famous for its restaurants, bars, and proximity to excellent vineyards.
Still not sure where to book?
- You could browse our recommendations based on location — try the best wine hotels in Marlborough, the best wine hotels in Nelson, the best wine hotels in Hawke's Bay, the best wine hotels in Northland, the best wine hotels in Waiheke Island or the best wine hotels in Canterbury and the Waipara Valley
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Hotel D'Urville Blenheim 10 rooms from £100Close to nightlife - Bamboo Tiger is abuzz with locals and visitors on Friday night, when the bar hosts live jazz eveningsFoodies - Daily specials crafted from seasonal Marlborough produce at Mollies Restaurant are brilliantBar - Bamboo Tiger is a lively 1930s Asian fusion Jazz & Cocktail loungeHistoric - In Blenheim's historic 1920s Art Deco Public Trust buildingRecommended by - Fodors
1920s Art Deco style boutique hotel in Blenheim with 10 stylish and unique rooms, each with individual themes from classic to retro. Four poster beds, original art works and free wifi. Great restaurant and cocktail bar. An ideal base for exploring the Marlborough wineries. See More
Greenhill Lodge Hastings (RD4) 4 rooms from £387Romantic Break - With just four elegant rooms and suites, this is a wonderful choice for a romantic tripHistoric - Built in the 1890s, Greenhill has a long history and heaps of characterBack to Nature - Set on 73 acres of grounds, perfect for birdwatchers and walkersViews - Viewing turret overlooks the gardens and Te Mata Peak
Villas Waiheke Waiheke Island 5 rooms from £230Wine tasting - Batch Winery and Peacock Sky Vineyard are 500 metres away — perfect for tours and tastingsViews - Panoramic views overlooking Waiheke Island and the Hauraki Gulf from a hilltop locationGreat walks - 21 acres of native bush, the villas offer walking and biking tracks aplentyGroups - Book a two-bedroom villa for a fun weekend with friends
Five cool, contemporary one- and two-bedroom villas nestled within 21 acres of grounds, with outstanding views. Stylish and spacious interiors boast designer furnishings, luxury linens & fully equipped kitchens. A fun weekend option for friends or couples looking to hide away together. See More
The George, Christchurch Christchurch 53 rooms from £216Learning - The hotel's collection of innovative NZ art has been refined since the 1990s by curator Stephen Gleeson, also an NZ sculptorFoodies - Executive Chef Chanaka Jayabahu heads award-winning 50 Bistro, specialising in seasonal fare. Great for keen foodiesWine tasting - Enjoy 5-course Winemaker's Dinners, with each dish matched to wines from Misha's Vineyard & Langmeil WinesMountain biking - Borrow bikes & helmets from the hotel, and head out to explore the city or cycle along the Avon RiverRecommended by - Tablet, Fodors
The Martinborough Hotel Martinborough 20 rooms from £92Local exploring - Explore the wineries, bars and restaurants that Martinborough is famous for during your stay, with easy access from this hotelCountry Escape - Set in an idyllic village renowned for its proximity to excellent vineyards, book this hotel for an authentic country getawayRomantic Break - Offering spacious, comfortable guestrooms and a stylish bistro bar, book this hotel for a relaxing couples' breakGreat walks - Do the Patuna Chasm walk, a spectacular walk through the bush, a limestone chasm and the Ruakokoputuna river
This boutique hotel is nestled in the heart of the charming wine village of Martinborough. Individually designed guestrooms are bright and airy, with eclectic, country-style furnishings and floral accents. Enjoy soaking in the elegant, clawfoot bathtub after a day of wine tasting. See More
Black Estate B&B North Canterbury, South Island 1 rooms from £125Romantic Break - A chic intimate stay with the added advantage of access to the estate's restaurant - the perfect couples' escapeFoodies - The superb restaurant offers an ever changing menu using local organic produce paired with the estate's winesCountry Escape - Set within the grounds of a winery with far reaching views across the vineyards and mountainsGreat walks - Head out on long walks right from the front door
An architecturally striking building housing a contemporary studio apartment and an acclaimed organic restaurant set on the Black Estate winery. Ideal for a romantic escape - the studio is chic and secluded with far-reaching views across the vineyard from its floor to ceiling windows. Superb! See More
Mt Michael Lodge Cromwell, South Island 4 rooms from £248Boutique - The four-room property offers sleek boutique design with simple minimalist style and plenty of luxury trimmingsCountry Escape - A stylish rural escape set in an expansive vineyard - it doesn't really get much better than this!Romantic Break - Think hot tubs, sink-into-beds, mountain views and plenty of good winePrivate Hot Tub - Book the Lake View or Dunstan room for your patio with private hot tub
Set amidst a Pinot Noir vineyard, this is a sleek boutique property perfect for a rural hideaway. The four rooms are minimalist in design with floor to ceiling windows and sliding doors leading on to private terraces. Spend days in the great outdoors before returning for a soak in the hot tub. See More
Paihia Beach Resort and Spa Hotel The Bay of Islands 21 rooms from £272Families - Two-bedroom suites with fully equipped kitchens and private terraces are great for familiesDiving - Take a day trip with the resort's experienced dive staff and marvel at the Pacific Ocean's biodiversityRestaurant - The Glasshouse Kitchen & Bar features rom the Middle East, South Asia & Kiwi classicsGreat walks - Guided walking tours of Russell are ideal for discovering NZ's history
Luxury hotel with light, clean and spacious suites with features such as French oak floors and large balconies. Only metres from Paihia's most picturesque beach, completed with spa, swimming pool and restaurant serving seasonal food. Ideal for tours of Bay of Islands, golfing and fishing trips. See More
Stoneridge Estate Queenstown 9 rooms from £260Country Escape - Set on a beautiful vineyard & surrounded by mountains, this is an idyllic rural retreatWine tasting - Follow the Queenstown Wine Trail, beginning at Stoneridge's own Cellar DoorViews - Stunning views over Lake Hayes to the mountains beyond.Weddings - A sublime spot for an intimate wedding or elopementRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
A small boutique hotel set on a picturesque vineyard with spectacular mountain views. Choose a contemporary or traditional suite, feast on local produce with the 5-course degustation menu, and relax in the hot tub. Ideal for intimate weddings, adventurous holidays & wine tasting holidays. See More
Beaufort House Akaroa 7520 5 rooms from £205Great walks - Follow the 'Village Walks' series through the Akaroa reserves, visiting key sites inc. the French Cemetery & Britomart MonumentLocal exploring - Explore the scenery on land and water. Harbour cruises, fishing, diving, horse treks, hikes and mountain bikes are popularHistoric - Built in 1878, the house was originally named 'The Wilderness', and has been a guest house for over 100 yearsWine tasting - Sample Beaufort House Pinot Noir or Chardonnay during your stay
An historic and secluded lodge set in beautifully manicured gardens, surrounded by vineyards. Interiors are cosy and traditional with antiques, chintz fabrics and roaring log fires. A charming base from which to engage in the various outdoor activities this picturesque region has to offer. See More
Craggy Range Cottages Hastings (Havelock North) 9 rooms from £209Foodies - Head Chef Casey McDonald create delectable dishes using seasonal Hawke’s Bay produce paired with Craggy Range winesRomantic Break - With fine-dining, wine tasting, and secluded luxury accommodation, this is perfect for a romantic breakWine tasting - Taste a selection of Craggy Estate wines and learn about how they are producedFishing - Go fishing or kayaking along the Tukituki River
A unique wine and food experience set in a remote location in picturesque Hawke's Bay. Individual cottages are contemporary and light and feature private pools, terraces (designed to sip a glass of wine on), and wood-burning stoves. The restaurant is superb and wines award-winning. See More
Takatu Lodge & Vineyard Matakana (RD6) 4 rooms from £346Foodies - Savour gourmet dishes using produce from the Matakana area & ingredients from the lodge's gardens, with Takatu's own wineDiving - Goat Island Marine Reserve offers striking diving for beginners and experienced underwater explorersRestaurant - Big cooked breakfasts and daily menus of specials matched with Takatu wines are a real treatLocal markets - Matakana Farmers’ Market & Country Park Market are fantastic
Charming lodge built with natural wood, stone and marble set in the heart of a working vineyard. Suites have private outdoor decks, floor-to-ceiling windows, open log fires and comfy beds. Eco-friendly and close to great walks, wineries and local markets. A relaxing country escape. See More
The Peppertree Blenheim 5 rooms from £350Sights nearby - Molesworth High Country Farm Tours focus on early pioneers and farmers, with day-long trips into the rural Marlborough landscapeCountry Escape - A luxurious Edwardian villa set within the beautiful Marlborough wine regionGarden - The Peppertree has its own olive grove, orchards and 328 Chardonnay vinesBirdwatching - Get close to beautiful birds on kayaking trips with Driftwood Eco-ToursRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
A quaint Edwardian villa turned luxury boutique hotel in the picturesque Marlborough wine region. Sumptuous rooms are individually styled and the best have free-standing baths and working fireplaces. The wrap-around terrace is a lovely spot to sample regional wines. A tranquil country escape. See More
Breckenridge Lodge RD3 Napier 4183 5 rooms from £370Foodies - Chef Malcolm Redmond creates dégustation menus using local produce and paired with regional winesRestaurant - Gourmet five-course dinners with daily changing menus and many ingredients grown in the lodge's organic kitchen gardenGreat walks - Napier is the Art Deco capital of the world - take a guided walking tour to learn about the townCooking classes - Hone your skills with an expert-led cooking class, showcasing the hotel's homegrown produce
A boutique lodge set in an enviable spot offering 360-degree views of chardonnay vineyards. The five rooms are all individually styled and have a homely feel. The owner and chef make this a real foodies destination - serving five-course meals paired with regional wines. Ideal for a romantic break. See More
Gibbston Valley Lodge & Spa Queenstown 24 rooms from £410Foodies - Renowned chef Anthony Gradiska has created a sumptuous fine dining experience accompanied by the best local wines.Other Activities - Enjoy a picnic for two with a bottle of regional wine especially prepared by the hotel's chefWine tasting - Tour the Gibbston Valley's own vineyard, chat to winemakers & taste wines in the cellarSpa breaks - Winner of New Zealand's Best Resort Spa 2020 & 2021 at the World Spa AwardsRecommended by - Great Small Hotels
A small luxury hotel boasting an enviable setting within a Pinot Noir vineyard in Queenstown. Stylish villas offer private sundecks with spectacular views, indulgent bathrooms and open-plan living spaces. With both a spa and private dining on offer, nothing has been missed here. See More