6 of the Best hotels on Gran Canaria for Walking Holidays
It can surprise some people to discover that Gran Canaria has more to offer than the high-octane, sunny resorts of Playa del Inglés and Puerto Rico. The island’s interior contains a landscape that ranges from pine-clad hills to rugged and dramatic mountains. This not only means it has some great walking, from tough hikes to more gentle strolls, but also some terrific views. Many of the best hotels on Gran Canaria for walking holidays ensure not only easy access to walks and views but also a more authentic slice of Canarian life.
One lovely area for walking is the Guayadeque Ravine with its lush vegetation. For something tougher, head to Roque Nublo, the remains of an ancient volcano, and Roque Bentayga, an extraordinary finger of rock and the island’s sacred mountain. Pozo de las Nieves - at 1949 metres, the island’s highest peak.
Early spring is one of the best times to visit when the almond trees are in full blossom.
Don't forget that the island is a popular year round destination. So if you want to be sure of securing a room in one of the best hotels on Gran Canaria for walking holidays, do yourself a favour and book well in advance.
6 of the Best hotels on Gran Canaria for walking holidays
For a mountain hideaway
- With just six rooms, and tucked high in the mountains, Hotel Rural Las Calas offers both walks on the doorstep plus a peaceful retreat. Rooms are beautifully rustic plus there’s a pool and friendly, communal dining.
- High in the heart of the island Parador Cruz de Tejeda is surrounded by craggy, tree-cloaked mountains, with spectacular views. The 86 rooms are crisp and contemporary plus there’s a pool and spa. An excellent choice if you want days of relaxation as well as walking.
- Another good choice that combines walking and relaxation is Hotel Rural Las Tirajanas, perched on a hillside in the island’s centre and with spectacular views from virtually all of its rooms. Bedrooms are rustic and colourful, some with antiques, plus there’s a pool and spa.
- In the heart of the island, surrounded by mountains, the child-friendly Fonda de La Tea offers simple, traditional rooms - including a villa for four - a pool and stunning views.
- With walks on the doorstep, Hotel el Mondalon, a traditional finca with rooms with exposed-stone walls and wooden floors, is also a good family choice. Most rooms have a private terrace plus there’s a pool.
For walking and the beach
- Finca Las Longueras is the perfect hotel for those who want to do some walking, but also like to relax. There's great walking straight from the door, it's just 3km from the sea, and there's also a pool on site if you can't be bothered to move!
Still not sure which to book?
- Expand your search to include all our recommendations on Gran Canaria
- check out our list of the best hotels in the Canary Islands for walking holidays,
- or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Hotel Rural Las Calas San Mateo, Gran Canaria 6 rooms from £68Local exploringCountry EscapeContemporaryActive HolidayRecommended by - I Escape, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Parador Cruz de Tejeda Tejeda, Gran Canaria 86 rooms from £95Country EscapeViews - Wonderful views over the surrounding countrysideSwimming Pool - Outdoor and Indoor PoolsSpa
A large hotel surrounded by nature, mountainous ranges, and valley views. Large traditional chic bedrooms and suites with stunning views from private balconies. Excellent restaurants, bar, swimming pool, spa, and verdant gardens. A fabulous back to nature experience with excellent facilities. See More
Hotel Rural Las Tirajanas San Bartolomé de Tirajana, Gran Canaria 60 rooms from £130Total relaxation - Perfect for a relaxing break, set on a tranquil mountain side, with spectacular views and a deluxe spa.Local exploring - A great base for exploring San Bartolomé de Tirajana and the surrounding mountains.Sights nearby - Rent a bike and visit the fantastic Maspalomas Dunes, not far from the hotel.Great walks - Make the most of the beautiful walking in Palmitos Park.
A charming hilltop hotel with stunning views out over the Gran Canarian valleys. The characterful rooms are littered with antiques and quaint touches. The restaurant serves local specialities and boasts amazing views. Bicycles and cars are available to rent for day trips. A hillside gem. See More
Fonda de la Tea Tejeda, Gran Canaria 11 rooms from £78Views - Stunning valley views.Families - One house sleeps 4.Great walks - Explore the wonderful walking in the volcanic heart of the islandSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Sawdays
A hiker's haven set in the mountains with stunning valley views. Charming traditional rooms and one villa (sleeps 4) with private balconies. Gorgeous terraces, swimming pool, local restaurant, and plenty of outdoor pursuits and quaint mountain villages to explore. Ideal for families. See More
Hotel el Mondalon Los Hoyos, Gran Canaria 10 rooms from £78Value chicGreat walks - Wonderful walking on the doorstepSwimming Pool - Heated poolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape
Finca Las Longueras Agaete, Gran Canaria 10 rooms from £91Great walks - Great walking on the doorstep for all abilities.Swimming Pool - Outdoor pool surrounded by palm treesBirdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - I Escape