The 10 Best Luxury Hotels in Edinburgh
Edinburgh is a city rich in history, filled with world-renowned sights, superb dining options, cosy pubs and, of course, it's the host of the Edinburgh Festival. The hotel scene is equally exciting - from old-world opulence to converted lighthouse ships or hotels fit for the most fanatic of foodies. Our hotel experts have compiled a concise list of the best luxury hotels in Edinburgh to make booking your next stay a hassle-free experience. So why not browse through our collection to start planning your next trip?
For Old-World Charm
- The Balmoral is the grand dame of Edinburgh's luxury hotel scene. A renovated old railway station hotel, it's a sophisticated affair: a classy whisky bar, upscale Michelin-star restaurant, elegant and contemporary rooms, indoor pool and a pampering spa. A real has-it-all luxury stay.
- The Dunstane Houses features the best of Scottish hospitality and modern luxury. Offering chic, designer rooms set in two ornate Victorian townhouses, there's a good reason why it's one of the best luxury hotels that Edinburgh has to offer: it boasts the largest selection of rare whiskey in the whole city plus there is decadent afternoon tea and memorable fine-dining.
For a Romantic Break
- Prestonfield is one of Edinburgh's most opulent luxury hotels. An adults-only boutique set in a country house perched amidst acres of lush parkland, it's romantic and oh-so-luxurious! From the whiskey bar and fine-dining restaurant to croquet on the lawn and hot air balloon rides organised by the concierge. Perfect for couples.
- The Witchery by the Castle has got the WOW factor. Through the doors of this renovated 16th-century church is luxury of the gilded age: ornate ceilings, red velvet, dark woods, and oil paintings. Moody and romantic - pick this property for its historic feel.
For the Design
- Set in an old bank building, The Edinburgh Grand is one of the most stylish luxury hotels in Edinburgh. The swirling spiral stairwell is like something out of Alice in Wonderland; the club-style bar and sumptuous restaurant make it one of the most happening places in the city. For true luxury, book the 3-bedroom penthouse, with its private rooftop terrace.
For a Unique Stay
- Fingal is a retired lighthouse ship. Scotland's first ever floating hotel offers sleek, minimalist rooms adorned with suede, brass and leather, plus fining dining in the restaurant, a glitzy ballroom and trendy bar. Certainly one of Edinburgh's most unique luxury hotels!
- The Scotsman is a 5-star hotel set in the former Scotsman newspaper's HQ. Grand and sophisticated the interiors mix the old and the new. Rooms are minimalist, there's a world-class gym and a large indoor pool. Offering babysitting services and spacious suites, this is one of Edinburgh's most family-orientated luxury hotels.
- Families love The George. An opulent A-listed building that's been given a stylish modern makeover, old-fashioned yet hipsterish, the interconnecting rooms are perfect for families. The bar, cafe and brasserie are laid back (complete with kids menus) and the building itself has a glamorous old-world feel.
For Great Value
- The Glasshouse Hotel is one of Edinburgh's best value luxury hotels. A stone church backed by a modern glass structure, the spacious and minimalist rooms are plush and full of light. While there's no restaurant, there's a lovely rooftop terrace and Japanese garden perfect for enjoying a cocktail or breakfast.
- For a vintage chic city stay book a room at Kimpton Charlotte Square. Traditional Scottish luxury meets contemporary art and curios and decked out with a wide range of amenities: all-day brasserie, cosy bar, two restaurants, a gym, spa and pool. With so much on offer, the price tag is very generous.
Still not sure where to book?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Edinburgh;
- Or check out our collections of the Best Hotels in Edinburgh’s New Town, the best romantic hotels in Edinburgh or the Best Edinburgh Hotels with Pools;
- Have a look at this list of the best hotels in Edinburgh's Old Town or West End;
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our Gurus for advice.
The Scotsman Hotel Edinburgh 82 rooms from £195Great walks - Calton Hill, the city's UNESCO World Heritage Site or Arthur's Seat for even more impressive views.Sights nearby - Overlooking Edinburgh Castle.Views - Good city views.SpaRecommended by - Fodors, Frommers, Good Hotel Guide
Cheval The Edinburgh Grand Edinburgh 50 rooms from £153City Style - One of the more sophisticated luxury hotels in central Edinburgh, ideal for exploring the hotspots, shops and sights in styleSights nearby - The Scott Monument is a 5 min walk, while Edinburgh Castle, St Giles’s Cathedral and the Palace of Holyrood are an easy walkGreat walks - Calton Hill and Arthur's Seat offer great views of the city and Firth of ForthDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
This grand neo-classical building, a landmark of St Andrew Square in Edinburgh's New Town, offers stylish and spacious apartments whether for one night or a longer stay. With a club-style bar and restaurant, gym and 24-hour reception, it has all the trappings of a luxury hotel. See More
The Glasshouse, Edinburgh Edinburgh 65 rooms from £120Sit-out TerraceDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Views - Great views from hotel5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Recommended by - Frommers, Michelin Travel
The Kimpton Charlotte Square Edinburgh 199 rooms from £130City Style - A centrally located hotel that has perfectly brought a traditional building into the 21st-century.Sights nearby - The majestic Edinburgh Castle and its breathtaking views are a must-see. Ideally located for all the city highlightsRestaurant - Baba for chargrilled meats and delicious mezze or The Garden for light lunches and late nights!Spa - Offering a wide range of massages, body treatments and facials.
A luxurious hotel located in the heart of the city. Beautifully renovated rooms keep the traditional style yet a splash of contemporary flare has been added. The two restaurants are equally stylish and the bar produces some top-notch cocktails. The service is slick and the positioning perfect. See More
The George, Edinburgh Edinburgh 249 rooms from £120Romantic Break - Luxuriously decked out rooms, superb restaurant and bar, plus excellent central location, make it great for a romantic getawayFamilies - Interconnecting rooms, welcome gifts, kids menus - just some of the perks for familiesCity Style - Sophisticated, elegant and stylish a chic city centre optionRestaurant - The Printing Press Restaurant serves classic dishes using the best Scottish ingredients
The personification of opulence, The George combines grand luxury with a modern sleekness to create a superb hotel right in the centre of Edinburgh. Its location is unbeatable with all of the city's main attractions a short walk away. Perfect for an indulgent weekend in Edinburgh. See More
The Witchery by the Castle Edinburgh (Royal Mile) 9 rooms from £365Foodies - Serving Scottish beef, lamb, game, the Witchery's famous steak tartare, briny-fresh seafood platters and even some haggis.Romantic Break - The glamourous, plush yet cosy interiors with love seats, four poster beds, and plenty of candles are perfect for couplesSights nearby - In the heart of the Old Town on Edinburgh's famous Royal MileFull of character - Theatrical red & gold, velveted roomsRecommended by - Frommers, Good Hotel Guide
The Balmoral Edinburgh 168 rooms from £208Sights nearby - Visit the nearby Edinburgh Castle and the Scottish National Portrait Gallery.Great walks - Walk to the summit of Calton Hill and enjoy the panoramic views.Views - Wonderful city views towards Arthurs Seat.Swimming Pool - Indoor PoolRecommended by - Tablet, Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection
Quietly confident, stylish, sophisticated and efficient.THE place to stay in Edinburgh. Part of Rocco Forte Collection and boasting a Michelin starred restaurant, comprehensive spa and over 150 bedrooms. The old railway hotel transformed into a grande dame. True indulgence. See More
Fingal Edinburgh (Leith) 23 rooms from £300City Style - Set in the hip Leith area, with numerous high-end eateries and bars within walking distance, this is a luxurious and unique stayGroups - The magnificent ballroom is a unique and luxurious space for an event; hosting up to 60 peopleGreat walks - Take a scenic stroll along the Water of Leiths riverSights nearby - Compare boat notes at the Royal Yacht Britannia
A retired lighthouse tender, now turned luxury hotel, anchored in the hip area of Leith. Cabins range from classic doubles to decadent suites. The design is luxurious with brass fittings, leather, and rich hues. A glamorous ballroom is ideal for a party and there's a fabulous little restaurant too. See More
The Dunstane Houses Edinburgh 35 rooms from £219Exclusive offer - 10% off City BreakSights nearby - Easy access to all of Edinburgh's top attractions including the Royal Mile, Old Town and Prince's StreetRestaurant - Ba'Bar and Lounge, fine Scottish dining with a touch of Orkney!Great walks - Climb Arthur's seat for a great view over the city and beyond.Designer - Uniquely designed interiorsRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Fodors, Mr & Mrs Smith
In a peaceful corner of Edinburgh’s West End, a short walk from Haymarket and 15 minutes’ drive from Edinburgh airport, The Dunstane Houses is an independent, 5 star VisitScotland 35-bedroom boutique hotel spread over two stately Victorian townhouses on opposite sides of the road. See More
Prestonfield Edinburgh (Priestfield Road) 23 rooms from £252Romantic Break - This hotel oozes glammour, romance and seduction, with its wildly opulent canopied beds, rich fabrics and roaring fires.Local exploring - The best of both worlds- set in 20 acres of spectacular parklands, yet within spitting distance of Edinburgh.Great walks - Don't forget your welly boots, there are 20 acres of parkland to explore.Restrictions on children - Adults onlyRecommended by - Frommers, Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection
Opulent extravagance at the Prestonfield just 5 mins from the Royal Mile in Edinburgh. Come for attentive service, divine bedrooms and spoiling galore. Fine dining is served in an ultra romantic setting. The concierge have a 'nothing's too much' attitude. Best for a truly indulgent stay. See More