Search the best hotels in Montauk
Located right at the eastern tip of Long Island, past the glitzy Hamptons, is the more laid back Montauk. This town draws city-escapers with its beautiful nature, a gorgeous stretch of beach and perfect surf waves found on Ditch Plains. Many of the best places to stay in Montauk are beachside, but there are some hidden gems just inland too.
It isn't just the beaches that attract sporting enthusiasts, Lake Montauk, is home to New York State's biggest sporting fishing fleet. While Deep Hollow Ranch the United State's oldest working ranch has long been offering horse riding treks in its 3000 acres of countryside and beach. The town itself has a selection of hipster cafes and local seafood joints for visitors to choose from, and the Montauk Brewing company conjures up some excellent brews to wash it all down.
What not to miss
- Surf (or simply lounge on) the gorgeous Ditch Plains Beach.
- Try your hand at fishing with the pros on Montauk Lake.
- Sample the life of a cowboy on a horse riding trek at Deep Hollow Ranch.
- Gorge on the superb seafood and sample the local brews.
Don't forget that Long Island is extremely busy during the peak summer months, so if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Montauk, you'll need to be organised and book well ahead.
The best places to stay in Montauk
For the beach
- Hero Beach Club is a laid back and grown up beach side resort. The elegant paired back rooms offer white on white decor, stunning ancient Balinese handicrafts, comfortable beds and private balconies. A peaceful haven with a private beach, stunning gardens and fire pits.
- The Montauk Beach House is a fabulous and laid back luxe hotel. Elegant and well thought out rooms perfectly balance simplicity, beauty and functionality. The pool bar draws a lively crowd on the weekends and the cafe and outdoor grill serves small plates and sandwiches.
For bohemian living
- Ruschmeyer's is a rustic hotel offering a retro summer-camp experience beside Montauk's Fort Pond. The Magic Garden sports teepees, tree swings, fire pits and many sports, activities and adventures are on offer. The minimalist but chic rooms boast hammocks and a charcoal grill, and the nightlife is electric.
For a holiday house or apartment
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, our online partner booking.com has plenty in the vicinity.
- The Long Island Railroad (LIRR) services regular trains from New York City to Montauk. Check the schedule for direct trains as others make a stop in Jamaica. Seasonal ferries run between Block Island, London and Martha's Vineyard while, for those that can, Montauk actually has its own airport for chartered planes and private jets.
- For warm days, the best time to visit Montauk is between June-August when temperatures peak at around 26 degrees celsius. However, the summer is also very busy so if you are looking for a little tranquillity we recommend planning a trip in September or October when the weather is still good, but the crowds have gone.
- If you would like the freedom of your own car we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure where to book?
Best Hotels in Montauk
Hero Beach Club Montauk 30 rooms from AU$242Beach Life - Chilled out beach chic- sweeping views over sand dunes, private beach access, whitewashed suites complete with surfboardsSurfing - Ask at the hotel and they will organise surf lessons with their local guy- make the most of the unbeatable wavesFishing - There is excellent fishing in the area, ask at the front desk about renting gearGreat walks - Wander through the lush gardens and explore the rolling dunesRecommended by - Tablet
A laid back and grown up beach side resort in the normally hectic party scene of Montauk. The elegant paired back rooms offer white on white decor, stunning ancient Balinese handicrafts, comfortable beds and private balconies. A peaceful haven with a private beach, stunning gardens and fire pits. See More
Ruschmeyer's Montauk 19 rooms from AU$470Local exploring - Explore Montauk Point State Park home of the Montauk Lighthouse, and the nearby Fort Pond, or Gin Beach on Block Island South.Active Holiday - Many activities are offered: kayaking, water-skiing, ping-pong, fishing, horse-riding, swimming, paddle-boarding, and so on.Country Escape - The central lawn is called the Magic Garden, and sports teepees, tree swings, fire pits, ping-pong tables and so on.Spa - Manicures, pedicures, facials and massages can be provided either in your cabin or in the spa room.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Rustic hotel offering a retro summer-camp experience beside Montauk's Fort Pond. The Magic Garden sports teepees, tree swings, fire pits and many sports, activities and adventures are on offer. The minimalist but chic rooms boast hammocks and a charcoal grill, and the nightlife is electric. See More
The Montauk Beach House Montauk 33 rooms from AU$390Total relaxation - Escape the city and head to this chilled out beachhouse, complete with weekend DJs cocktails and poolside loungingBarefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Full of characterRecommended by - Tablet
A fabulous and laid back luxe Beach House in the rising star of Montauk. Elegant and well thought out rooms perfectly balance simplicity, beauty and functionality. The pool bar draws a lively crowd on the weekends and the cafe and outdoor grill serves small plates and sandwiches. Utter bliss! See More