Search the best hotels in Alba
Mmmm, delicious Alba, capital of white truffles, white peaches, dark chocolate and dark wine. Surrounded by vineyards growing the dark grapes which will eventually fill your bottle of Barolo. Hazelnut groves, orchards and lush vegetable patches, this old Roman town is as much a feast for the eyes as the palate. In addition to some of the charming restaurants with rooms and B&Bs in the oldest part of town, some of the best places to stay in Alba are actually in the Langhe Hills which surround it.
What not to miss:
- Alba is famous for its wonderful Roman ruins with their wonderful marbles and mosaics.
- There's the 14th and 15th Century towers, Alba was once known as the 'City with a hundred towers'.
- The city is home to a number of beautiful churches such as the Romanesque Cathedral, the Gothic church of San Domenico with its wonderful artworks, the Baroque church of St. John the Baptist and the cultural treasures of the Centro Culturale San Giuseppe where there are regular choral and chamber concerts.
- There is also a local archaeological museum that is fascinating.
Don't forget that if you want to visit in truffle season, the best places to stay in Alba are nigh on impossible to book last minute, so plan well ahead.
The best places to stay in Alba
For rural peace
- The Casa Pavesi is a pretty,19th Century house turned small hotel. The rooms are elegant with attractive details like four poster beds, and there are beautiful views of the Langhe Hills. Large gardens surround the property and breakfast is served on a charming sun terrace.
- The Castello di Sinio is even grander - a castle set amongst its own vineyards. As well as offering wine tastings the hotel also arranges cheese tastings, chocolate tastings and truffle hunting - so it's great for foodies and anyone who appreciates antiques, exposed beams and stone floors.
- Surrounded by beautiful rolling vineyards, Cascina Barac is a beautiful countryside villa. Sample the farm's wine in the superb restaurant or go out in search of truffles in the surrounding countryside. A great spot for foodies.
For an apartment or villa
- Explore the options at our online partner Booking.com.
- The nearest airport to Alba is Turin Cuneo (25 miles).
- To hire a car, we recommend visiting our online partner Rentalcars.
- The best time to visit Alba is from June to September but if you are there for the truffle season, October and November is your time.
Still not sure?
- Check our list of the best places to stay in Alba.
- Or widen the net and check out all our recommendations in Piedmont.
- Alternatively contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Alba
Best Hotels in Alba
Cascina Barac Alba (Cuneo), Piedmont 10 rooms from CA$154Foodies - Alba is a haven for food enthusiasts as it grows white-truffles, hazlenuts and is brimming with vineyards.Country Escape - A revamped farmhouse ideal to unwind in comfort, amidst the vineyards, with a glass of wine.Great walks - Take long relaxing walks through the surrounding vineyards.Remote - Off the beaten track.
An agrotourism property sitting pretty amongst rolling hills covered in vineyards. Traditionally decorated with warm terracotta hues, antique furniture and delicately draped windows. Gourmet regional cuisine to order. Wines coming from the farm itself and truffles to be found. A foodie's paradise. See More
Villa la Favorita Alba 7 rooms from CA$183Foodies - The on site farm produces its own Nebbiolo wine and organic fruit, such as cherries, figs and pomegranates.Great walks - Beautiful walks around the hotel, including a 40km route called the 'Honey Road'.Cooking classes - Piedmont cooking classes are on offer at the hotel.Romantic - Good for couples.
A delightful country hotel just outside Alba, exuding rustic charm from every pore. The ornate rooms are characterful and comfortable with great views of the surrounding vineyards. Enjoy a hearty breakfast of quiche, freshly baked cakes and local meats and cheeses. A wondrous country retreat. See More
Casa Pavesi Grinzane Cavour, Piedmont 12 rooms from CA$205Local exploring - Dozens of cycling trails, wine tasting, historic castles and traditional eateries near this charming hotelSights nearby - Grinzane Cavour and its castleRomantic - Good for couples.Traditional
Castello di Sinio Piedmont 18 rooms from CA$315Foodies - Extensive vineyard and wine tasting tours, cheese tasting, chocolate tasting, truffle hunting and various annual food festivalsRomantic Break - Stunning Baroque chuch and belltower sitting atop a medieval village and sweeping views of forest and vineyardsSights nearby - Sinio, Serralunga, Alba, La Morra and Monforte D'AlbaLocal markets - Food markets in Alba, Dogliani, Asti
A delightful castle hotel set amongst vineyards. Modern rustic style with wooden beams, antique furniture and stone floors. Lovely gardens with herb plants, jasmine and bubbling fountains. Sweeping views, excellent Umbrian cuisine. A great choice for couples and gastronomy fans. See More